Werewolves and silver bullets vs overwhelming force(and lack of science with RPGs)

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

SpottedKitty
Jedi Master

Re: Werewolves and silver bullets vs overwhelming force(and lack of science with RPGs)

Post by SpottedKitty »

Captain Seafort wrote:It seems likely that Maedhros' chasm and Mt Doom are indeed one and the same. It would easily explain both the magical power of the place, and Sauron setting up shop in Mordor in the first place if there's a Silmaril down there somewhere.
Hmm, I never thought of that. If so, could Sauron have known or guessed what was down there, or would he have just come across the place and noticed its effects?
“Despite rumor, Death isn't cruel — merely terribly, terribly good at his job.”
Terry Pratchett, Sourcery
Esquire
Jedi Council Member

Re: Werewolves and silver bullets vs overwhelming force(and lack of science with RPGs)

Post by Esquire »

Regarding the magic vs. heat debate, I'm wondering if Gandalf might simply have been speaking metaphorically - fire is used as a metaphor for magical power an awful lot, mos notably in Moria when Gandalf says:
"I am a servant of the Secret Fire, wielder of the flame of Anor. You cannot pass. The dark fire will not avail you, flame of Udûn."
Speaking respectively about Iluvatar, the Sun, black magic, and Morgoth's having created balrogs. The 'old fire' he mentions in the bit about the dragons could have simply been another indication of the general diminishing of Middle Earth over time.
“Heroes are heroes because they are heroic in behavior, not because they won or lost.” Nassim Nicholas Taleb