Unfriended

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

amigocabal
Jedi Knight

Unfriended

Post by amigocabal »

This is a rather unique movie, with it being on a MacBook computer screen. Computer geeks would note the details in the various programs featured on the screen. The URL's shown in the address bars link to real sites, like this one:

The story starts with the protagonist, Blair Lily, watching a LiveLeak video of a suicide. She then watches a YouTube video of Laura Barns, the girl whose suicide was on the LiveLeak video. Her boyfriend Mitch calls her on Skype and they talk and she strips for him. Adam Sewell, a friend of theirs, calls them on skype, and they dismiss the call, wanting to keep things private.

Suddenly, four others join in, embarrassing the two. After some banter, they find a user without an avatar, Billie227, and some of them mention that they can not hang up. Neither Mitch nor Blaire answered the call.
Spoiler
Billie227 is the spirit of Laura Barns, who came back from the dead a year after her suicide. Her powers extend beuyondf messing with computers; killing the protagoonists, but not before forcing them to reveal secrets such as Blaire, driving drunk and crashing a friend's mom's car.

In the end, Blaire is revealed to have been the one who shot the LAURA BARNS KILL URSELF video.
It was a suspenseful movie, and we follow their unwrapping of the mysterious billie227, thinking it was just a hacker. If you think about it, there is something even more frightening about the setting of this film.
Spoiler
What is to stop a suicide terrorists ferom coming back the way Laura Barns did? How would the Pentagon keep its computer systems secure?
Adam Reynolds
Jedi Council Member

Re: Unfriended

Post by Adam Reynolds »

I don't particularly care in this case, but the spoiler tags don't currently work with the new update. So be careful what spoilers you post.

As for the question, given the nature of the story, I assume it is somehow karmic. Suicide bombers would not have this ability for obvious reasons.
Purple
Sith Acolyte
Location: In a purple cube orbiting this planet. Hijacking satellites for an internet connection.

Post by Purple »

Why not? Those people are victims of indoctrination by ruthless individuals who don't have the guts to strap on a bomb them self. I imagine that a suicide bomber would in retrospect have quite a lot to say to his trainers. Especially once he discovers that religion is a lie and he ain't getting even one of those virgins he was promised.
It has become clear to me in the previous days that any attempts at reconciliation and explanation with the community here has failed. I have tried my best. I really have. I pored my heart out trying. But it was all for nothing.

You win. There, I have said it.

Now there is only one thing left to do. Let us see if I can sum up the strength needed to end things once and for all.
FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Post by FaxModem1 »

Do terrorists use social media to the extent that teenagers do? I'm trying to imagine Islamic terrorists constantly checking their facebook and updating their twitter.
Darth Yan
Jedi Council Member

Post by Darth Yan »

I did like the twist of how our "heroine" was actually the single biggest bitch in the movie.
Purple
Sith Acolyte
Location: In a purple cube orbiting this planet. Hijacking satellites for an internet connection.

Post by Purple »

Purple wrote:Why not? Those people are victims of indoctrination by ruthless individuals who don't have the guts to strap on a bomb them self. I imagine that a suicide bomber would in retrospect have quite a lot to say to his trainers. Especially once he discovers that religion is a lie and he ain't getting even one of those virgins he was promised.
They certainly use youtube to spread their message. At least until it gets taken down. And there were stories in the newspaper some time ago about ISIL recruiting young Muslims from Europe using facebook so that they can be convinced into going to the middle east, training as suicide bombers and than back. Not sure how correct it is but I would not be surprised. ISIL do know a lot about the internet after all, they even have their own online magazine.
It has become clear to me in the previous days that any attempts at reconciliation and explanation with the community here has failed. I have tried my best. I really have. I pored my heart out trying. But it was all for nothing.

You win. There, I have said it.

Now there is only one thing left to do. Let us see if I can sum up the strength needed to end things once and for all.