Supergirl (television series)

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

Tsyroc
Emperor's Hand

Re: Supergirl (television series)

Post by Tsyroc »

Crown wrote:Barry's real superpower? Bumping Supergirl's ratings by 30%: source.

It was a very good episode.

Kara and Barry are excellent together. The comedy parts were very good.

Loved Kara's reaction when Barry got them all ice cream. :D

Cat had some excellent moments:
Describing everyone as if they were the cast of a CW show was good.
Stating that Barry was either Mormon or a superhero, and her reasoning.
Cat all but getting into Kara's face and telling her that she knows she's Supergirl.

The stuff with the villains was okay. I liked the refined look on Live Wire, and Silver Banshee was decent. I would have preferred that her final look was something magical and not how she decided to make herself look. It seemed a bit involved as a wardrobe change. I am guessing that the changes to her eyes were supposed to be something magical and that after dying her hair, painting her face and making that outfit, she didn't go out and get some creepy contacts.

It should be interesting that the NCPD now has places to lock up metahumans.

The DEO sure seems to let people come and go from its secret base pretty easily.
By the pricking of my thumb,
Something wicked this way comes.
Open, locks,
Whoever knocks.
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

I believe Kara's exact words were "Thanks to Barry" concerning how the NCPD now has lockdown for Metas.

I did wonder if Banshee's eyes and hair were Ghost or Paint. In the comics the Banshee actually takes over the host body, twisting their features to her own face and strengthening their body to resist damage.
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
Tsyroc
Emperor's Hand

Post by Tsyroc »

LadyTevar wrote:I believe Kara's exact words were "Thanks to Barry" concerning how the NCPD now has lockdown for Metas.

I did wonder if Banshee's eyes and hair were Ghost or Paint. In the comics the Banshee actually takes over the host body, twisting their features to her own face and strengthening their body to resist damage.
She was definitely stronger than normal which fits with the character. I guess I was going by Live Wire's comments about her changing her wardrobe but it's possible that she did magically take on the banshee look. Certainly it resembled what was flashing in her visions. The vision version was much creepier and looked much closer to being skull like instead of makeup to resemble a skull.

One thing with Supergirl the show. They do seem to have an abundance of scenes where we don't really know how people got some place, or where they explain away something. How people get in and out of the DEO when it is supposed to be mega Top Secret is a common problem. This episode added Barry providing the police department with a means to incarcerate metahumans. Which is cool, but I think the way it was done you are expected to picutre the Flash setting things up at super speed etc...
Open, locks,
Whoever knocks.
Crown
NARF

Post by Crown »

Tsyroc wrote:
Crown wrote:Barry's real superpower? Bumping Supergirl's ratings by 30%: source.
It was a very good episode.
It was fun, I guess. I'm not watching this show again until the next inevitable cross over because frankly I'm not this show's target demographic (understatement of the year right there). Which is a shame because if the show runners/writers just watch a season or two of Xena: Warrior Princess and incorporate how to write a strong female character without nauseating and groan inducing pandering, poor writing, ridiculous teen-love triangles I'd tune in.

But hey-ho.
Kojiro wrote:
Crown wrote:Now in regards to your point above; don't worry. The DC EU is all about the 'multiverse'. I suspect Earth 1 Flash is trying to get back to Earth 2 to battle it out with Zoom but accidentally ends up in Earth 'n' where Supergirl is in. :wink:
The interesting thing about this is (if true, I'm not up to date on the shows- no spoilers please) then the Flash and Arrow we're following aren't the 'prime' versions. If they are then Earth 1 lacks Kryptonians, which would make it a major departure.
It's true, Synder and Geoff Johns confirmed it a while back. Especially Snyder because I think he was asked why he didn't cast Grant Gustin as the DC Cinematic Flash and he responded with 'different tone and they can do their own thing'. Which is a good thing (I think we can all agree on this) because...
Batman wrote:Given how much Arrow lifted from my little slice of the DCU I'd say they're not particularly worried about deviating from the source material.
Olicity can stay in whatever fucked up multiverse that spawned it. I don't want that shit polluting the movies.
Η ζωή, η ζωή εδω τελειώνει!
"Science is one cold-hearted bitch with a 14" strap-on" - Masuka 'Dexter'
"Angela is not the woman you think she is Gabriel, she's done terrible things"
"So have I, and I'm going to do them all to you." - Sylar to Arthur 'Heroes'
Tsyroc
Emperor's Hand

Post by Tsyroc »

Crown wrote: It was fun, I guess. I'm not watching this show again until the next inevitable cross over because frankly I'm not this show's target demographic (understatement of the year right there). Which is a shame because if the show runners/writers just watch a season or two of Xena: Warrior Princess and incorporate how to write a strong female character without nauseating and groan inducing pandering, poor writing, ridiculous teen-love triangles I'd tune in.
What's funny about that is that my dad (64) and I (46) aren't really the intended audience either but we both enjoy the show.

I do think the show tends to suffer from trying to cover too many bases as far as who it is targeting and what it is trying to do that often causes issues with at least part of each episode. Hopefully they can polish things up a bit for next season.
Open, locks,
Whoever knocks.
Kojiro
Jedi Master

Post by Kojiro »

Crown wrote:It's true, Synder and Geoff Johns confirmed it a while back. Especially Snyder because I think he was asked why he didn't cast Grant Gustin as the DC Cinematic Flash and he responded with 'different tone and they can do their own thing'. Which is a good thing (I think we can all agree on this) because...
Huh. Well, it is what it is. That said, the new Flash just doesn't grab me. I think there may be a real danger of having concurrent versions of characters in the media. GG Flash has a fanbase that new Flash will have to compete with. I know that when I go to see the film, I'll be wondering how GG Flash would have done X or Y and there will inevitably be a thread here swapping one for the other.

Edit oh and on Supergirl- did anyone catch how much the key to the Fortress weighed? Did my ears hear right? 100,000 tons?
Dragon Clan Veritech
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

A million tons actually.
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
Kojiro
Jedi Master

Post by Kojiro »

I thought I heard a million but my brain retroactively decided that was a silly amount for her to just causally lift (to say nothing of it just sitting there on the ice). And that wasn't even an effort for her.

That sets her at an absolutely ludicrous level of strength. I mean, what exactly can't she lift at that point? Seriously, what kind of force would she be applying to something she wanted to pull apart.
Dragon Clan Veritech
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

Define 'ludicrous'. In context yes Kara casually picking up a million ton key seems odd when she had to struggle to move a tanker mere weeks before but this is superheroes we're talking about. Used to be Clark's standard solution to 'imminent celestial object impact' was to push Earth out of the way.
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic »

Hasn't Superman's modus operandi pretty much been to pull new powers out of his ass when it suites the plot for a long time?
Batman
Emperor's Hand

Post by Batman »

Not since Crisis of Infinite Earths from what I can tell. The extent of his powers has varied greatly but 'Hey! New superpower!' was largely a SilverAge thing. The only time Clark got a new power recently was the 'Solar Flare' from the nu52.
Kojiro
Jedi Master

Post by Kojiro »

Batman wrote:Define 'ludicrous'. In context yes Kara casually picking up a million ton key seems odd when she had to struggle to move a tanker mere weeks before but this is superheroes we're talking about. Used to be Clark's standard solution to 'imminent celestial object impact' was to push Earth out of the way.
I can buy that perhaps her flight power- however that works- doesn't have the same power as her physical form. So while maybe she could easily lift that key, perhaps she'd struggle to fly with it. I don't know, I'm just spitballing. Essentially the flight and super strength are two distinct powers of varying power.

It honestly seems like the writers just picked an absurd number out of their asses.
Dragon Clan Veritech
Tsyroc
Emperor's Hand

Post by Tsyroc »

Until otherwise contradicted or confirmed I'm going with my assumption that Clark was messing with Jimmie Olsen when he told him the key was a "million tons". :D Otherwise it's just ridiculous going by what we've seen so far. Mostly because I'd like to know what that "million pound" key was resting on so it didn't sink into the ground (or through the ice?)?

I also assume that Supergirl can actually handle more weight while flying than she can while standing on the ground like how Superman explains things in John Byrne's Man of Steel mini-series. Around that time I think Superman states he can lift a bit over 100 tons while on the ground, but he was able to easily fly with Lex Luthor's gigantic cruise ship.

I suppose that it could be argued that Supergirl can lift more while on the ground by subconsciously combining whatever she does to enable her to fly with her physical strength. I mean, if she flys by manipulating gravity in some way she could use that to appear to boost her strength. Marvel has described its Eternals doing such things for a long time, and since their main Superman pastiche, Hyperion, is an Eternal it's not much of a stretch, and it kind of fist with Bryne's explanations as well.

A better gage for Kara's strength is probably when Maxwell Lord was testing her and she supported part of a building.
Open, locks,
Whoever knocks.
Tsyroc
Emperor's Hand

Post by Tsyroc »

Penultimate episode of the season: Myriad

Other than Dean Cain I think most of the important characters and recurring characters made appearances.

Superman made a tiny appearance.

Maxima made a brief but entertaining appearance. I was hoping they would show how her powers differ from those of Supergirl but the fight and her usual ranting about Superman spurning her advances were good.

Even the Kryptonians don't want the White Martian released from prison. Everyone else they are cool with letting out.

General Lane was actually sort of reasonable.

Cat had a pretty funny rant about not wanting to date Harrison Ford, because he's old and married. :D

I liked Kara with Cat and Max. Hopefully this is the sort of Max we'll see in the future. The guy who wants to protect the planet but doesn't trust or want to work with the government. Distrustful of aliens but not a wannabee Lex Luthor straight up supervillain. I'm not sure if he was fucking with Kara and/or Cat when asking about Cat's assistant. I can't remember if he knows that she's Supergirl or not. He knows that Supergirl is a "Danvers" and Alex' sister but I can't remember if it's been clearly shown that Kara Danvers works for Cat.

I'm thinking that being friends with Indigo (Brainiac VIII) is really going to bite Non in the ass next episode. She's pushing the "take over the galaxy" agenda when up to this point Non has been stating that he (and the other Kryptonians) just want to save Earth from what they see as a similar problem to what destroyed Krypton.

This episode had a lot of great looking stuff and nice FX but once again J'onn is limited by how much they can afford to do with him in a single episode because of FX costs. He put a nice little beat down on Indigo only for it to go to crap, although it didn't go how I was expecting, given all the fire present at the time.

Cat seeing the "S" as a sign of hope. Goes back to what the comics (Birthright) have been saying it actually means in Kryptonian for awhile now. It's better as the symbol for the House of El and the "stronger together" saying that it stands for than it was as the Kryptonian Flag, but it's important that Superman and therefore Supergirl, stand for hope.

I thought the ending leading into next week's episode was kind of stupid. Kara has super speed, flying and an a couple of built in range weapons. So why wouldn't she either flee or try to pick away at her mind controlled sister's Kryptonite covered battle suit? I hope they have her being smarter about it than what it looked like.
Open, locks,
Whoever knocks.
GuppyShark
Sith Devotee

Post by GuppyShark »

Doing a catchup watch.

"We could be dealing with an interstellar bounty hunter."
"You don't think...?"
"No. If he were in town, we'd know."

:lol:

Lobo's fame precedes him.
GuppyShark
Sith Devotee

Post by GuppyShark »

Episode 1.16

"I've never been better."

KOJIRO YOU KNOW THE PROTOCOL
RogueIce
_______

Post by RogueIce »

I loved that speech. Yeah it could've easily been cheesy as heck, but Melissa Benoist really sold it and made me believe something like that could work. And honestly, how Superman Mythos is that, for her to give a message of Hope to break the mind control, rather than going off and punching something?

As for that ending: calling it now, Krypto the Super Dog. :D
"How can I wait unknowing?
This is the price of war,
We rise with noble intentions,
And we risk all that is pure..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, Forever (Rome: Total War)

"On and on, through the years,
The war continues on..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, We Are All One (Medieval 2: Total War)
"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear." - Ambrose Redmoon
"You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain." - Harvey Dent, The Dark Knight
Batman
Emperor's Hand

Post by Batman »

Somebody on the production team really loves those heat vision staredowns.
Hated the countdown aspect. Yeah, no, 'nothing of consequence will happen as long as we nix the danger before the timer reaches zero' isn't really how this works, despite what Star Trek wants you to believe.
Is it me or were Clark's boots a noticeably brighter red than Kara's?
As for the ending-either Kara Zor-L (we know they're working with the multiverse concept thanks to the Flash crossover) or Superboy Prime.
Kojiro
Jedi Master

Post by Kojiro »

GuppyShark wrote:Episode 1.16

"I've never been better."

KOJIRO YOU KNOW THE PROTOCOL
I do, alas I'm several episodes behind (haven't even seen the Flash cross over yet!). I read this thread by accident trying to avoid spoilers.

Even so, kill it immediately!
Dragon Clan Veritech
Tsyroc
Emperor's Hand

Post by Tsyroc »

Finally got around to watching the season finale.

Pretty good. I still think the show tends to overreach in how much SFX it tries to do, and in this episode they went for a lot and for the most part succeeded.

I find it rather amusing and a little frustrating on how it seems that Cat must know that Kara is Supergirl but she plays it just enough like she might not know that I find myself wondering. :lol:

Blowing up the Red Tornado with her heat vision instead of using her freeze breath paid off. I wonder how badly Non's eyes were hurt and if he will super heal the damage. I just realized, the rest of the "Kryptonian Army" were asleep on Ft. Roz when Supergirl chucked it into space. That should mean we won't see too many Kryptonian's next season but they are out there as a potential threat.

I don't remember how much they said Ft. Roz weighed but it was a lot! It's interesting that she could fly with so much weight but they decided to put limits on how she (and Superman) fly. I remember a comic doing the Martian Manhunter's flying the same way. Essentially it is telekinesis so he/she has to have something to push off of. So for the time being, flying is limited to however close Supergirl needs to be to Earth to be able to push off from it.

I was really waiting for Indigo (Brainiac VIII) to backstab Non, but he seemed fully onboard with what she wanted to do so there was no reason for that to happen.

As for the end scene. I've seen some stuff online that suggest the pod might belong to Kara Zor-L (aka Power Girl). At least I've seen some stuff that suggest that Power Girl will be on the Flash next season, so why not have her on Supergirl too? I'm guessing that on Supergirl she's going to be the younger version.

I'm looking forward to them finding Cadmus next season. Hopefully it won't be a season long thing.

I liked how things ended with Max, the DEO, and General Lane being relatively cordial with each other. I'd like it to stay that way, but they don't all need to be best buds. I like Max not trusting the government and wanting to do things himself but I don't like him skewing into Lex Luthor style super villanland. He's more that capable of generating conflict by doing his own thing, with the best of intentions.
Open, locks,
Whoever knocks.
Batman
Emperor's Hand

Post by Batman »

Alex explicitly says it was 'Kara's' pod she used. 'You saved the world. And then I saved you. With your pod.'
Also, return of the 'there's wind in space' phenomenon-after she (presumably successfully) shoves Fort Roz off earth for good, Kara's hair is continually fluttering.
Incidentally, the weight was stated to be a million tons.
Tsyroc
Emperor's Hand

Post by Tsyroc »

I meant the pod at the end. I don't think that was Kara's pod since it arrived during the dinner and she had a bit of a surprised reaction to it.

So far the speculation about who or what was in the pod have been:

Kara Zor-L (Power Girl) - probably a younger version.
Young Kara Zor-El
Kara's Kryptonian cat
Krypto
One of Kara's parents.

I doubt it is either the cat or dog. I lean towards the 13 year old version of either Kara Zor-El or Kara Zor-L but I won't be too surprised if they pull someone else out of their hat. General Zod's young son had a pretty good run in the comics. He could really make Kara's life interesting, although his storyline had him living with Clark and Lois.
Open, locks,
Whoever knocks.
Batman
Emperor's Hand

Post by Batman »

Oh. THAT one. My bad.
I don't think they're going to do the superpet angle (or at any tate I really really hope they won't). While I personally would like them adapting Krypto, it'd be as an exercise to demonstrate why the supermutt doesn't work.
As for who is in that pod-no clue. But if I have to guess it's either Kara's Mom, Power Girl (whatever iteration) or JJ's niece.
GuppyShark
Sith Devotee

Post by GuppyShark »

Surely it has to be Krypto?

I don't honestly see the appeal of adding Power Girl, who if I recall was created to be Supergirl when the rule was you couldn't have a Supergirl.

I see Kara's mother as a possibility just because of how extensively they've used the actress.
Tsyroc
Emperor's Hand

Post by Tsyroc »

Apparently it is official. Supergirl is moving to the CW and probably moving its production Vancouver.

I like the show, and certain bits of it I like a lot. Other parts tend to make me cringes so I am glad that it is going to continue and get a chance to tweak on itself.
Open, locks,
Whoever knocks.