A God Am I! . . . well, for a certain value of "god"

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Re: A God Am I! . . . well, for a certain value of "god"

Post by Solauren »

Purple wrote:
Solauren wrote:There will be a rash of thefts caused by ants.....
Not a bad idea but I'll probably not take you up on it. Too obvious. Like all you'd need to do to catch me would be to follow the ants. More likely I'd use them to make the occasional person vanish. But nothing that can be traced to me. Like, there is no point in being a supervillain if you can be easily beaten. Leave that to people with actually good superpowers like flight or the rest of the Superman package.

Depends on how it was done.

I'm thinking along the lines of in the middle of the night, Ants suddenly swarm in an area, damaging electronics and the like, and upon investigation, it turns out the ATM is missing all it's money, and the inkpacks are empty....
I've been asked why I still follow a few of the people I know on Facebook with 'interesting political habits and view points'.

It's so when they comment on or approve of something, I know what pages to block/what not to vote for.
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Even if the police can't arrest you, they can make your life very inconvenient, because they keep trying to arrest you every time you appear in public in human form.
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

Simon_Jester wrote:Even if the police can't arrest you, they can make your life very inconvenient, because they keep trying to arrest you every time you appear in public in human form.
Yeah no because you can take a page from friends to the South. Make their children vanish, their wives and make it plain that will continue to happen everything the authorities bother you it will continue to happen since you are.... unkillable.

But why get the authorities involved? Something tells me the CIA would pay you richly to have access to the Ant King for total enemy removal. I might get a battle suit out of it.

"A cult is a religion with no political power." -Tom Wolfe
Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
Purple
Sith Acolyte
Location: In a purple cube orbiting this planet. Hijacking satellites for an internet connection.

Post by Purple »

Simon_Jester wrote:Even if the police can't arrest you, they can make your life very inconvenient, because they keep trying to arrest you every time you appear in public in human form.
Why would they? I have committed no crime.
It has become clear to me in the previous days that any attempts at reconciliation and explanation with the community here has failed. I have tried my best. I really have. I pored my heart out trying. But it was all for nothing.

You win. There, I have said it.

Now there is only one thing left to do. Let us see if I can sum up the strength needed to end things once and for all.
Raw Shark
Stunt Driver / Babysitter

Post by Raw Shark »

First, I re-read Worm. Second, I go to the library and study the capabilities of ants, while distributing my minions county-wide to gather information. Top priority: To discover if there are petty gods of other things, or if I'm the only one. If I manage to find any, top priority becomes attempting to parlay and diffuse any hostilities if possible, especially with deities who may oppose me on principle, such as the God of Exterminators and the God of Sadistic Kids with Magnifying Glasses. If a peace treaty proves impossible, I attempt to gather blackmail material and discover their weaknesses for self-defense. After that, I infiltrate the stock exchange and become obscenely wealthy, and maybe do a little superheroing when I'm bored or an opportunity to throw myself in front of a bullet or something is right there.

"Do I really look like a guy with a plan? Y'know what I am? I'm a dog chasing cars. I wouldn't know what to do with one if I caught it! Y'know, I just do things..." --The Joker
Corvus 501
Padawan Learner

Post by Corvus 501 »

Start out in the New California Republic or New Vegas from Fallout: New Vegas with a few suitcases of ants, take control of a few colonies of giant ants and fire ants, than hire myself out as a mercenary force.
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Mr Bean wrote:
Yeah no because you can take a page from friends to the South. Make their children vanish, their wives and make it plain that will continue to happen everything the authorities bother you it will continue to happen since you are.... unkillable.
At which point the authorities will definitely start trying to figure out a way to permanently neutralize you, and publicize what a murdering vindictive shit you are, and... I mean honestly, life isn't really worth living under those conditions.

Any plan that makes other people unwilling to associate with me isn't much of a plan.
But why get the authorities involved? Something tells me the CIA would pay you richly to have access to the Ant King for total enemy removal. I might get a battle suit out of it.
I also get a government agency which is paranoid about my using my superpowers for assassinations while simultaneously encouraging me to get lots of practice at it. And I have to agree to basically kill people for money.

I mean hell, I'm a public school teacher and even I think this is a shitty job!
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Post by bilateralrope »

Mr Bean wrote:But why get the authorities involved? Something tells me the CIA would pay you richly to have access to the Ant King for total enemy removal. I might get a battle suit out of it.
Your geographical restrictions might change their mind.
FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Post by FaxModem1 »

That actually brings up an interesting point. Is it the county that we were bestowed these powers, or is it whichever county we are currently located in? As in, as soon as I cross the county line, I can no longer control county A's ants, and now control county B's?
Purple
Sith Acolyte
Location: In a purple cube orbiting this planet. Hijacking satellites for an internet connection.

Post by Purple »

FaxModem1 wrote:That actually brings up an interesting point. Is it the county that we were bestowed these powers, or is it whichever county we are currently located in? As in, as soon as I cross the county line, I can no longer control county A's ants, and now control county B's?
I already asked that.
Zeropoint wrote:
Purple wrote:How do the powers apply are they territorial or related to the ant population? Like say you are the ant king of county X. Do your powers grant you dominion of any ants existing within the borders of X for as long as said ants remain in X?
That's how I pictured it working--when an ant walks into your county (or equivalent civil zone), you get dominion over it. When it walks out, you lose it.
It's pretty clear that our powers only work within our own lands and nowhere else.
It has become clear to me in the previous days that any attempts at reconciliation and explanation with the community here has failed. I have tried my best. I really have. I pored my heart out trying. But it was all for nothing.

You win. There, I have said it.

Now there is only one thing left to do. Let us see if I can sum up the strength needed to end things once and for all.
FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Post by FaxModem1 »

No, you asked about the powers working within the starting county, not whether or not if you cross the district, the ants you control changes.

Another question, what happens if the city council or state gerrymanders your county, reducing the ants you control to a small bit of nothing in order to spite you?
Raw Shark

Post by Raw Shark »

FaxModem1 wrote:Another question, what happens if the city council or state gerrymanders your county, reducing the ants you control to a small bit of nothing in order to spite you?
Won't become an issue, with sufficient information control regarding my abilities, if not identity. If I choose to go public at all, it'll be as the mysterious billionaire genius playboy philanthropist who just figures stuff out with his superhuman powers of deduction, not as anything having to do with ants or county lines. Considering that I reside in the City and County of Denver, that gives me plenty of resources and people to play with, which should avoid arousing suspicion about why I don't attempt to extend my influence further except insofar as throwing scads of money at something will get me. The only potential snag in this plan as I see it is divination of my limitations via divine powers, which is the primary reason my first goal is to detect and negotiate with other local gods, if any exist.

"Do I really look like a guy with a plan? Y'know what I am? I'm a dog chasing cars. I wouldn't know what to do with one if I caught it! Y'know, I just do things..." --The Joker
Zixinus
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zixinus »

Just a thought: when you read an ant's mind you are getting the ant's perceptions. Not yours if you were there (unless I misunderstood something). Putting an ant as a bug in a criminal's hideout won't work because the ant doesn't understand human speech.
Credo!
Chat with me on Skype if you want to talk about writing, ideas or if you want a test-reader! PM for address.
Raw Shark

Post by Raw Shark »

Zixinus wrote:Just a thought: when you read an ant's mind you are getting the ant's perceptions. Not yours if you were there (unless I misunderstood something). Putting an ant as a bug in a criminal's hideout won't work because the ant doesn't understand human speech.
I was reading it to understand that we can use the ant's senses as though they were our own, implying that whatever the ant could perceive would be filtered through our own analytical power, limited only by our own alertness, sobriety, and ability to focus on one ant at a time. Clarification on that, please, OP?

Zeropoint
Jedi Knight

Post by Zeropoint »

I was reading it to understand that we can use the ant's senses as though they were our own, implying that whatever the ant could perceive would be filtered through our own analytical power, limited only by our own alertness, sobriety, and ability to focus on one ant at a time. Clarification on that, please, OP?
That's how I meant it--you get to use the ant's senses like they were your own, processing them with your own abilities. Hmm, to be a proper "god of ants" you'd also be able to make sense of their chemical detection, despite the normal human brain not having much capacity for smell processing.

You've got me wondering if ants actually have a sense of hearing, though . . . hmm, a quick google search is not conclusive.
That actually brings up an interesting point. Is it the county that we were bestowed these powers, or is it whichever county we are currently located in? As in, as soon as I cross the county line, I can no longer control county A's ants, and now control county B's?
It's the county that you called home at the time the powers were bestowed. If you're not very far outside your county, you can still command whatever ants are in range.
Another question, what happens if the city council or state gerrymanders your county, reducing the ants you control to a small bit of nothing in order to spite you?
Despite the potential for humor in a god losing their powers to zoning regulations, I'm going to say that you retain your powers over the old area.
I'm a cis-het white male, and I oppose racism, sexism, homophobia, and transphobia. I support treating all humans equally.

When fascism came to America, it was wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross.

That which will not bend must break and that which can be destroyed by truth should never be spared its demise.
Raw Shark

Post by Raw Shark »

The Incredible Ant wrote:Ants do not have ears, and they do not hear through auditory canals, they hear by picking up vibrations through the ground via special sensors on their feet and on their knees.
Lots of fun stuff for this on the same page.

Imperial528
Jedi Council Member

Post by Imperial528 »

What of people on the board who live in the same county? I'm pretty sure there are a not-insignificant number of board members whose immediate/residential family are also board members, or who live in densely populated areas making the likelihood of another SDN member living in their county decently probable.

Also, if I were to leave my county, would the ants I leave behind continue operating under my last instructions?
Raw Shark

Post by Raw Shark »

Imperial528 wrote:What of people on the board who live in the same county? I'm pretty sure there are a not-insignificant number of board members whose immediate/residential family are also board members, or who live in densely populated areas making the likelihood of another SDN member living in their county decently probable.
Pantheon, of course. I've already established myself as the local Ant God of Knowledge, Wealth, and Skullduggery if it comes to it.