Marvel's Jessica Jones on Netflix

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

Crown
NARF

Marvel's Jessica Jones on Netflix

Post by Crown »

20th of November folks, pencil the day/weekend off work because this is gonna make Daredevil look PG13:

Nerd boner ... engaged. :D
Η ζωή, η ζωή εδω τελειώνει!
"Science is one cold-hearted bitch with a 14" strap-on" - Masuka 'Dexter'
"Angela is not the woman you think she is Gabriel, she's done terrible things"
"So have I, and I'm going to do them all to you." - Sylar to Arthur 'Heroes'
FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Re: Marvel's Jessica Jones on Netflix

Post by FaxModem1 »

One thing I never understood is that, outside of 1602, the Purple Man never really did anything bigger than a few heists or robberies, when he could have had the whole world on his platter. Heck, Doom used him as a tool to take over the world. Why didn't he ever do something like run for mayor, senator, governor, etc?
bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Post by bilateralrope »

FaxModem1 wrote:One thing I never understood is that, outside of 1602, the Purple Man never really did anything bigger than a few heists or robberies, when he could have had the whole world on his platter. Heck, Doom used him as a tool to take over the world. Why didn't he ever do something like run for mayor, senator, governor, etc?
I'm not familiar with the comics. How powerful is his mind control in terms of range, number of people controlled, etc ?

How well does it work against non-humans ?

How well does it work against a sniper that he doesn't know is there ?

Depending on the answers to my questions, I could easily see him not wanting to attract the attention of anyone major because he knows enough about them to worry that he might not be able to win if they can after him.
Joun_Lord
Jedi Master

Post by Joun_Lord »

bilateralrope wrote:'m not familiar with the comics. How powerful is his mind control in terms of range, number of people controlled, etc ?
Doing a bit of research it seems his mind control come from pheromones and verbal commands. It seems to only work when he is physically present and can effect superhumans. He can control hundreds of people at a time. Someone with extreme will power like Doctor Doom and Daredevil can overcome his powas. He also has a healing factor.

Anyway, Netflix is just knocking it out park when it comes to good shows. And the really funny thing is the stuff they are based on don't even look that great. Daredevil was always pretty meh I though, I read a few issues of Alias comics when they had them at work and didn't much get into them but Daredevil was an excellent show and Jessica Jones looks great and Luke Cage will no doubt be excellent too.

One thing that bothers me though is the dude playing Luke Cage is the dude who played Agent Locke from Halo Nightfall and seeing him really make me wish we get a continuation of that series. Nothing against the upcoming shows, just something against M$ for not continuing a surprisingly great show.
Tsyroc
Emperor's Hand

Post by Tsyroc »

bilateralrope wrote: I'm not familiar with the comics. How powerful is his mind control in terms of range, number of people controlled, etc ?

How well does it work against non-humans ?

How well does it work against a sniper that he doesn't know is there ?

Depending on the answers to my questions, I could easily see him not wanting to attract the attention of anyone major because he knows enough about them to worry that he might not be able to win if they can after him.
Dr. Doom used the Purple Man as the basis for taking over the world in one of the early Marvel graphic novels. IIRC, with Doom's device amping him up into a world wide thing it worked on everyone who needed to breathe. So, it didn't work on Wonderman, and it was a little sketchy with Namor because of his hybrid physiology and his natural willpower. It worked pretty well on everyone else in the world.

In the regular comics I think Daredevil is immune to Killgrave's power but I don't know why. In the prison break that started off the New Avengers I think Luke Cage was able to resist him a little but mostly that was because he was so pissed off at what the Purple Man had done to Jessica in the past.

As has been mentioned the Purple Man's powers are pheromone based so it's likely he would be vulnerable to the sniper.

In the Alias comics the flashbacks with Killgrave and Jessica Jones it looked like he was mostly using his powers to live the high life and manipulate people for his own ends. Staying at expensive places for free, forcing college co-eds to have sex orgies, having people give him stuff. He mostly messed with Jessica's head a lot and kind of sort of kept her around as his bodyguard bot. He can affect crowds outside but that's a little risky and in both cases in Alias that's when he got his ass handed to him because it drew too much of the wrong kind of attention to him. In both cases the Avengers.
By the pricking of my thumb,
Something wicked this way comes.
Open, locks,
Whoever knocks.
Imperial Overlord
Emperor's Hand

Post by Imperial Overlord »

Tsyroc wrote:
bilateralrope wrote: In the prison break that started off the New Avengers I think Luke Cage was able to resist him a little but mostly that was because he was so pissed off at what the Purple Man had done to Jessica in the past.
In the prison break, Kilgrave's powers were still suppressed although he didn't know it until he got a face full of angry Luke Cage.
The Excellent Prismatic Spray. For when you absolutely, positively must kill a motherfucker. Accept no substitutions. Contact a magician of the later Aeons for details. Some conditions may apply.
Tsyroc
Emperor's Hand

Post by Tsyroc »

Imperial Overlord wrote: In the prison break, Kilgrave's powers were still suppressed although he didn't know it until he got a face full of angry Luke Cage.

That's right. :oops:

I could swear that I saw some scene where he sort of gets ahold of Cage but not fully. I could just be imagining it though.
Open, locks,
Whoever knocks.
Imperial Overlord
Emperor's Hand

Post by Imperial Overlord »

Tsyroc wrote:
I could swear that I saw some scene where he sort of gets ahold of Cage but not fully. I could just be imagining it though.

You probably did. The first panels are drawn ambiguously, with Cage looking stunned as if he was being overwhelmed by some kind of power (or really surprised). Then Kilgrave casually issues horrible orders and then Cage lets him know his powers aren't working. Then he starts using his fists on Kilgrave.
The Excellent Prismatic Spray. For when you absolutely, positively must kill a motherfucker. Accept no substitutions. Contact a magician of the later Aeons for details. Some conditions may apply.
Crown
NARF

Post by Crown »

Trailer #2 is up ... I'm gonna have to go see a doctor, or maintain a 10 day erection waiting for this to drop;

:mrgreen:
Η ζωή, η ζωή εδω τελειώνει!
"Science is one cold-hearted bitch with a 14" strap-on" - Masuka 'Dexter'
"Angela is not the woman you think she is Gabriel, she's done terrible things"
"So have I, and I'm going to do them all to you." - Sylar to Arthur 'Heroes'
Tsyroc
Emperor's Hand

Post by Tsyroc »

Crown wrote:Trailer #2 is up ... I'm gonna have to go see a doctor, or maintain a 10 day erection waiting for this to drop;

:mrgreen:
What they do to treat an erection that last more than 4 hours is bad enough. You'll want to see a doctor well before you get into counting days. :wink:

I'm really looking forward to this show too. Alias was one of my favorite comics. I even read The Pulse because Jessica was one of the characters in that. It's too bad that they can't have anything Spider-man in this show since her interactions with J. Jonah Jameson were awesome.
Open, locks,
Whoever knocks.
Dartzap
Sith Acolyte

Post by Dartzap »

Saw the first episode before work, pretty creepy towards the end. I shall definitely be devouring it over the weekend.
EBC: Northeners, Huh! What are they good for?! Absolutely nothing! :P

Cybertron, Justice league...MM, HAB SDN City Watch: Sergeant Detritus

Days Unstabbed, Unabused, Unassualted and Unwavedatwithabutchersknife: 0
Gaidin
Sith Devotee

Post by Gaidin »

About to start the fourth episode and so far, episode for episode, I think I'm liking this one more than Daredevil.
Lagmonster
Master Control Program
Master Control Program

Post by Lagmonster »

I stopped watching Daredevil two episodes in because of the hefty violence and generally depressing nature of the characters. Is Jessica Jones more of the same, or is it the more brighter and hopeful type of comic book story that my 70's-nurtured mind would enjoy?
Dartzap
Sith Acolyte

Post by Dartzap »

I dunno, was there much in the way of psychopathic mind control, PTSD, alcoholism and buttsex going in the 70's comics?
EBC: Northeners, Huh! What are they good for?! Absolutely nothing! :P

Cybertron, Justice league...MM, HAB SDN City Watch: Sergeant Detritus

Days Unstabbed, Unabused, Unassualted and Unwavedatwithabutchersknife: 0
Gaidin
Sith Devotee

Post by Gaidin »

Uhhh...Jessica Jones at this stage isn't bright and hopeful. At best, it's a scary form of self-blaming PTSD. Their first MAX comic character? You really don't get hopeful 'til the end I think.
Gaidin
Sith Devotee

Post by Gaidin »

I will say Tennant is having Kilgrave give this a really interesting sadistic streak on top of Jessica's problems.
Iroscato
Jedi Council Member

Post by Iroscato »

Lagmonster wrote:I stopped watching Daredevil two episodes in because of the hefty violence and generally depressing nature of the characters. Is Jessica Jones more of the same, or is it the more brighter and hopeful type of comic book story that my 70's-nurtured mind would enjoy?
I just saw the first episode and...I can emphatically say fuck no it isn't bright and hopeful. What I can gather from it is that it's very bloody good.

But seriously, watch Daredevil d00d *slipslap*
Yeah, I've always taken the subtext of the Birther movement to be, "The rules don't count here! This is different! HE'S BLACK! BLACK, I SAY! ARE YOU ALL BLIND!?

- Raw Shark

Destiny and fate are for those too weak to forge their own futures. Where we are 'supposed' to be is irrelevent.

- SirNitram (RIP)
Joun_Lord
Jedi Master

Post by Joun_Lord »

I'm on the 2nd episode so far (fuck you Fallout 4, you won't completely take over my life! Just mostly!) and its pretty good. No its not bright but still so far pretty enjoyable. I will say its not "clicking" with me the same way Daredevil did but thats not a slight against JJ that's just how fantastic DD was.

I am also enjoying the drama it seems to be causing on some parts of the intertubes. Some have taken to calling it such clever names as "AKA Tumblr". People are bitching about the fact that the entire cast is either female or a minority with the exception of the villain and one of the white dude roles (the lawyer person apparently) was changed into a gay female to check those PC boxes.

Strangely there wasn't much bitching when on Daredevil there was only like one black person in the main-ish cast (the reporter) and few minorities in general save members of the token asian gang.

Oh internet, you so crazy. And racist.
Korgeta
Padawan Learner

Post by Korgeta »

Watched the second trailer 2:04 is interesting, we know their going to keep the purple alias of killgrave by his own dress sense, but also more interesting he's handing out a dilemma in police station, just as another sadistic purple dressing individual did, homage to the dark knight's joker?

Either way caught the first episode and was impressed, smart and gritty.
General Zod
Never Shuts Up

Post by General Zod »

I'm on the 4th episode and really enjoying watching Tennant play a bad guy, it's a nice departure from his exploits as the Doctor. I also like all the casual references to the Avengers exploits without actually name-dropping anyone. (The Green Guy and the flag-waver, lol.)
"It's you Americans. There's something about nipples you hate. If this were Germany, we'd be romping around naked on the stage here."
Iroscato
Jedi Council Member

Post by Iroscato »

Well, I binged it over two afternoon/evenings. I thought it was very impressive, maybe not quite as good as Daredevil, but that's hardly a bad thing. Certainly something I'd rewatch with the old man.
Yeah, I've always taken the subtext of the Birther movement to be, "The rules don't count here! This is different! HE'S BLACK! BLACK, I SAY! ARE YOU ALL BLIND!?

- Raw Shark

Destiny and fate are for those too weak to forge their own futures. Where we are 'supposed' to be is irrelevent.

- SirNitram (RIP)
FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Post by FaxModem1 »

Well, I've finished the season. It feels like it was rushed in places. It seemed like the show was rather geared up to close out at somewhere around 6 to 8 episodes, but they had to stretch it out to 13, and it shows.

Problems I had: Spoiler
Kilgrave's storyline lost its oomph, as the biggest action was taking over a hospital due to his ever increasing powers. He goes from that, to trying to run away on a yacht. Kilgrave could have taken over the mayor's office, the NYPD, the National Guard, made an army of hobos, etc. Instead, he takes a few token cops and hostages.

Also, there was the whole plot that was thrown away about Kilgrave being used as a force for good by Jessica, which was hinted at earlier in the game with Jessica and Jeri pondering about the potential use of those abilities. Nope, let's throw all that away so we can have yet another superhero torturing the villain, for the good of everyone.

Will Simpson, what the hell? You want to establish a romance for Trish? Fine. You want to establish a nemesis for Trish? Fine. But if you're going to do both, at the same time, with the same character, you can't just have a guy disappear for episodes at a time, and make his character develop offscreen.

Same with Luke Cage. Really good casting for the character, and great chemistry with Jessica Jones, but we needed to see more of him and who he was, aside from, "Dead wife, must seek revenge."

Then, we get other subplots that seemed chucked in, who cares about the crazy fraternal twin, or the reforming junkie, if we're not going to make these characters full and complete, why are we spending so much time Robyn's antics shouting at everybody?

Trish and Jessica were both well developed, and we got a sense of who they were, but Marvel TV needs to work on balancing someone whose gritty and been through rough stuff, and a complete asshole with a tragic backstory who is our protagonist.
General Zod
Never Shuts Up

Post by General Zod »

Also, there was the whole plot that was thrown away about Kilgrave being used as a force for good by Jessica, which was hinted at earlier in the game with Jessica and Jeri pondering about the potential use of those abilities. Nope, let's throw all that away so we can have yet another superhero torturing the villain, for the good of everyone.
I think Jessica just wanted to see if there was the slightest chance that he could be reformed, but Kilgrave's made it abundantly clear that he's irredeemable.
Same with Luke Cage. Really good casting for the character, and great chemistry with Jessica Jones, but we needed to see more of him and who he was, aside from, "Dead wife, must seek revenge."
He's going to be getting his own series, so no real worries with that.
"It's you Americans. There's something about nipples you hate. If this were Germany, we'd be romping around naked on the stage here."
Tsyroc
Emperor's Hand

Post by Tsyroc »

Joun_Lord wrote:I'm on the 2nd episode so far (fuck you Fallout 4, you won't completely take over my life! Just mostly!) and its pretty good. No its not bright but still so far pretty enjoyable. I will say its not "clicking" with me the same way Daredevil did but thats not a slight against JJ that's just how fantastic DD was.

I am also enjoying the drama it seems to be causing on some parts of the intertubes. Some have taken to calling it such clever names as "AKA Tumblr". People are bitching about the fact that the entire cast is either female or a minority with the exception of the villain and one of the white dude roles (the lawyer person apparently) was changed into a gay female to check those PC boxes.

Strangely there wasn't much bitching when on Daredevil there was only like one black person in the main-ish cast (the reporter) and few minorities in general save members of the token asian gang.

Oh internet, you so crazy. And racist.
I liked it more than Daredevil, but then I liked the original source material better than Daredevil's as well.

As for the internet. I'm getting to the point where there is so much hostility and negativity about anything that anyone likes it just depresses me because that means there are a lot of hateful and angry people out there. This includes the Marvel vs. DC (shows & movies) people. I can't always even tell if it's just trolls being trolls. I mean, really? Is it that fun to just go stir shit up? Occassionally I will find intentionally over the top trolling kind of amusing but most of it just sucks. I should probably watch the end of Jay & Silent Bob Strike Back just to cheer myself up in that regard. :)

IMDB's forum had a lot people complaining about and arguing about the sex scenes. I liked that they were there, although I thought one could have been directed better. I was a little annoyed at Daredevil that it teased at some nudity/sex with Karen in one of the early episodes and then that was it. It's not that Daredevil needs sex scenes or nudity it was just an annoying tease that didn't need to be there.

I haven't looked at any of the boards for the show for a bit now but I was surprised that there weren't complaints about the lesbian storyline because of the cheating, the vindictiveness, and mostly because one of them ends up killed by the other. I thought all three characters had some complexity to them which was cool but I thought there was a thing were it is almost a trope that lesbian characters tend to end up evil and/or dead. So I was expecting to see bitching about that. Instead it's been almost entirely about the sex and other mature elements of a show that is tagged TV MA and is based on a Marvel Max title. Luckily it seems like the anti-sex crowd bailed on the show early and missed out on some of the disturbing violence/situations in later episodes.

If anything, this show reminded me of many of the gritty British crime series, except with a couple of super powered people and set in the Marvel Universe. That sort of thing clearly isn't for everyone and I like that Marvel is making a wide range of products that aren't necessarily intended for everyone.

A couple of things that I wasn't expecting that were kind of cool.

Sneaking "Nuke" in there. At least I'm guessing that Simpson is essentially that character from Daredevil. The colored pills, the paranoia and psychosis certainly fit.

Trish Walker: I really wasn't sure about her replacing Carol Danvers as Jessica's friend but they did an excellent job with her. They did a wonderful job retooling her character but still keeping bits from her long history.

Patsy Walker was in some of Marvel's romance comics back before the company had any superhero comics. The sitcom past and the magazines kind of nod to that.

IIRC, Patsy Walker was a friend of the Beast (Hank McCoy) when he was an Avenger and she really wanted to be a superhero. I don't recall the circumstances of why but she ended up in Greer Nelson's (Tigra) old The Cat costume, which boosted her enough that Patsy became Hellcat for a time. So in the show, having Trish want to be a hero. learning combat and being willing to take the risk with the pills seemed right in line with her character to me. I do wonder a bit about the fortress like house. Other than a few mentions of stalkers and the abuse from her mother I'm not quite sure it comes across why she needs so much security. At least at the beginning of the show. :) She also needs to check on getting a new doorman.
Open, locks,
Whoever knocks.
Joun_Lord
Jedi Master

Post by Joun_Lord »

Tsyroc wrote: As for the internet. I'm getting to the point where there is so much hostility and negativity about anything that anyone likes it just depresses me because that means there are a lot of hateful and angry people out there. This includes the Marvel vs. DC (shows & movies) people. I can't always even tell if it's just trolls being trolls. I mean, really? Is it that fun to just go stir shit up? Occassionally I will find intentionally over the top trolling kind of amusing but most of it just sucks. I should probably watch the end of Jay & Silent Bob Strike Back just to cheer myself up in that regard. :)
Honestly one shouldn't be too bothered. Sure there are asshole but the internet is like a megaphone for them, making them seem much louder and bigger then they actually are.

Though some are trolling just to troll. I mean stuff like Jessica Jones is a trolls wet dream. Interracial sex, evil white guy, gender swapped hardass lesbian, and a female focus. The trolls don't necessarily hate that stuff but they know other people do and other people want shit like that to be "politically correct" or some shite.
IMDB's forum had a lot people complaining about and arguing about the sex scenes. I liked that they were there, although I thought one could have been directed better. I was a little annoyed at Daredevil that it teased at some nudity/sex with Karen in one of the early episodes and then that was it. It's not that Daredevil needs sex scenes or nudity it was just an annoying tease that didn't need to be there.
I think the sex scenes could have been cut without impacting the story but their inclusion I don't think hurts the story or flow either. Plus it shows us what happens when superpowered people bang. Shit breaks.
I haven't looked at any of the boards for the show for a bit now but I was surprised that there weren't complaints about the lesbian storyline because of the cheating, the vindictiveness, and mostly because one of them ends up killed by the other. I thought all three characters had some complexity to them which was cool but I thought there was a thing were it is almost a trope that lesbian characters tend to end up evil and/or dead. So I was expecting to see bitching about that. Instead it's been almost entirely about the sex and other mature elements of a show that is tagged TV MA and is based on a Marvel Max title. Luckily it seems like the anti-sex crowd bailed on the show early and missed out on some of the disturbing violence/situations in later episodes.

This is me speaking as a white straight dude, but I would think LGBT people would like the portrayal of the lawyer chick Hogarth (every time I hear that I can't help but think of the Iron Giant). She cheats, she lies, she breaks up with her wife to get in some younger panties, and is an asshole. Just like a straight guy would be in that situation (which makes sense because apparently the character was originally a straight dude). It shows LGBT characters are just like everyone else, flawed. Other then the gender of one of the parties involved there is literally no difference between the 10 thousand similar guy cheats on wife with younger woman stories that have been going on probably since words were put on paper.

I don't think it feeds into the "lesbians are evil" trope because only one is, the other two seem pretty nice to the point the dumped wife is so squeaky clean Jessica can't find any dirt on her. Only one of the lesbians are evil and she ain't evil because she is gay but because she is evil, she'd be exactly the same whether she was still wanting to bang Neo or was a dude.
If anything, this show reminded me of many of the gritty British crime series, except with a couple of super powered people and set in the Marvel Universe. That sort of thing clearly isn't for everyone and I like that Marvel is making a wide range of products that aren't necessarily intended for everyone.
Thats a legitimate complaint I've seen some have. They are wanting to watch a superhero show when JJ is a crime drama with superheros. Its the complaint some (okay alot) had about Stargate Universe, they wanted to watch a sci-fi adventure show but instead they got some soap opera drama in a sci-fi setting.

Now personally I don't think its bad that JJ isn't a traditional cape show but I can see how others might. Superhero shows are supposed to have action and greater then life stories. Even Daredevil as close to street level as it did had some pretty large elements such as the mystery of the Kingpin, Madam Gau or whatever the old lady with a wicked punches name was, and Daredevils own powers. In JJ those elements either don't exist or are downplayed heavily.

And again that ain't a bad thing but I can certainly see how might think it is. Of course unlike Fargate Universe this show don't suck and is still close enough to the proceeding shows to feel similar and comfortable but different enough to not be stale. And most importantly its not boring, mostly, there was a few parts like the Kilgrave family home shit I yawned at but overall it held my attention unlike Universe where the 1st 5 episodes after the pilot were all so goddamn boring.