New Harry Potter sequel for the stage.

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Re: New Harry Potter sequel for the stage.

Post by Solauren »

OMG Heromine is white! CANONOMGCANON!!!

Who the fuck, with brains/taste, really cares?

Does she live up to the books, or at least Emma Watson's portrayal of her?
Is the non-idiot theatergoer set happy?

If so, good casting choice. If not, bad casting choices happen.
I've been asked why I still follow a few of the people I know on Facebook with 'interesting political habits and view points'.

It's so when they comment on or approve of something, I know what pages to block/what not to vote for.
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

... literally no-one in this thread that I can see is complaining about the casting.

eta: People are discussing the idea that Hermione can canonically be called black or white, but they're fine with them casting whoever they want in the role.
Hillary
Jedi Master

Post by Hillary »

The Romulan Republic wrote:
Hillary wrote:And also with blonde curly hair but I doubt anyone complained that Emma Watson wasn't blonde.
Huh? I might be misremembering, but I'm fairly sure Hermione is described as brown haired in the books.
I meant judging by the drawing shown above - I'm saying that this drawing is not necessarily her final idea of each character.
What is WRONG with you people
jwl
Jedi Master

Post by jwl »

The Romulan Republic wrote:
Hillary wrote:And also with blonde curly hair but I doubt anyone complained that Emma Watson wasn't blonde.
Huh? I might be misremembering, but I'm fairly sure Hermione is described as brown haired in the books.
I think they are referring to the light-looking hair in the drawing. Although I think that's more because JK Rowling isn't very good at drawing than her thoughts at the time on hermionie's hair colour. Like I said though, I don't think Rowling's thinking behind this at the time really matters.

I do, however, think there is a problem if they are trying to claim both this theatre production and the pottermore illustrations are canon, because they are contradictory.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic »

I'm not sure which I'd rather have as canon. A white Hermione is more plausible (though their is, as I've said before, nothing absolutely saying Hermione isn't black), but a black Hermione is more original/less obvious than making her white, and more interesting. As there is nothing to rule out Hermione being black, I think I'll side with the latter.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

According to this, Cursed Child is considered the official eighth Harry Potter story:

https://www.pottermore.com/news/cursed- ... tter-story
jwl
Jedi Master

Post by jwl »

The Romulan Republic wrote:I'm not sure which I'd rather have as canon. A white Hermione is more plausible (though their is, as I've said before, nothing absolutely saying Hermione isn't black), but a black Hermione is more original/less obvious than making her white, and more interesting. As there is nothing to rule out Hermione being black, I think I'll side with the latter.
Can I repeat that hermionie is white in pottermore. And Pottermore is advertised as canon, many people go on pottermore specifically because it supposedly involves new canon harry potter content.

However, I've looked at the link to the casting link and there is something people seem to not have picked up on: the actor for harry has brown eyes. I hope he's going to put in green contacts for the play, because harry having brown eyes not only contradicts pottermore, it contradicts plot-relevant details from the main book series. This is much more of a big deal than a black hermionie if this is supposed to be the "eighth harry potter story".
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Well, to be frank, how closely are the audience going to be looking at the actors' eyes? When I got to a play, I generally don't even notice what colour the actor's eyes are.

This is even more applicable to those of the audience who aren't in the foremost rows.

And aren't green eyes... pretty damn rare? I'm sure Daniel Radcliffe wore contacts or something too.
jwl
Jedi Master

Post by jwl »

The Romulan Republic wrote:Well, to be frank, how closely are the audience going to be looking at the actors' eyes? When I got to a play, I generally don't even notice what colour the actor's eyes are.

This is even more applicable to those of the audience who aren't in the foremost rows.

And aren't green eyes... pretty damn rare? I'm sure Daniel Radcliffe wore contacts or something too.
Daneil Radcliffe didn't use contacts. And in my opinion, that is a problem, and it isn't the only problem of cast appearance in the films (the most glaring one in my opinion being the lack of skull-like faces for people who have just come out of azkaban). And green eyes aren't any rarer than ginger hair and they managed to find an entire ginger weasley family.

But really, the films were only ever meant to be adaptions so it doesn't matter as much. If this is supposed to be the "eighth harry potter story" it matters far more.
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

jwl wrote:
The Romulan Republic wrote:Well, to be frank, how closely are the audience going to be looking at the actors' eyes? When I got to a play, I generally don't even notice what colour the actor's eyes are.

Daneil Radcliffe didn't use contacts. And in my opinion, that is a problem, and it isn't the only problem of cast appearance in the films (the most glaring one in my opinion being the lack of skull-like faces for people who have just come out of azkaban). And green eyes aren't any rarer than ginger hair and they managed to find an entire ginger weasley family.

But really, the films were only ever meant to be adaptions so it doesn't matter as much. If this is supposed to be the "eighth harry potter story" it matters far more.
It really doesn't. The events of the play matter far more than the actor's appearance in that regard.

They also didn't find all ginger actors for the Twins, either. They dyed their hair. Finding identical acting twins of the right age was probably hard enough, let alone of the right hair colour. They didn't even try for the Patil twins and made them fraternal instead. (and annoyingly put them both in Gryffindor)