Equestria vs. Warhammer 40K

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

SMJB
Padawan Learner

Equestria vs. Warhammer 40K

Post by SMJB »

I'm not going to write this because I barely qualify as even a casual fan of either series, but it struck me recently* that it would be pretty freaking amusing to transport Equestria to the 40K universe and have the ponies, just, utterly dominate.

*due to, well, this: http://www.screwattack.com/shows/origin ... inbow-dash
Simon_Jester wrote:"WHERE IS YOUR MISSILEGOD NOW!?"
Starglider wrote:* Simon stared coldly across the table at the student, who had just finnished explaining the link between the certainty of young earth creation and the divinely ordained supremacy of the white race. "I am updating my P values", Simon said through thinned lips, "to a direction and degree you will find... most unfavourable."
biostem
Jedi Master

Re: Equestria vs. Warhammer 40K

Post by biostem »

The number of ponies that have exhibited truly amazing feats of strength, speed, or magical ability is quite small. Most other ponies, (and I'm including pegasi and unicorns here), would be wiped out in short order.

*If* Celestia can actually control the sun with her powers, then she may be able to stave off the Imperium. If you couple that with Luna's ability to infiltrate dreams, (Space marines need to sleep sometime), AND they have Discord on their side, then they may stand a chance. If Shining Armor's shield can withstand orbital or artillery strikes, and other powers, (like the want it need it spell Twilight once used), can be used against the Imperium soldiers, then things may go well for the Equestrian natives.

Or... Pinkie may just pay the God Emperor or man a visit, wake his ass up trying to be his friend, and get him to order a full retreat...
Napoleon the Clown
Jedi Council Member

Post by Napoleon the Clown »

Call me crazy, but I think that a Space Marine might be a little more dangerous than Starscream. They may not be able to fly without hopping in a vehicle that can do it, but their favorite toys would turn modern armored vehicles into swiss cheese. That is on fire.

And the Imperium of Man has quite a lot more soldiers than Equestria has sapient beings. So unless their soldiers are weak to songs about friendship and happiness (not impossible) they'd pretty effortlessly annihilate every last equine abomination. And the universe would be better for it.

Actually, would the magical ponies draw from the Warp? It would be funny if one of them accidentally summoned a daemon.

Fuck, they are from the Warp. It would explain everything!
Sig images are for people who aren't fucking lazy.
madd0ct0r
Sith Acolyte

Post by madd0ct0r »

Warp Gods exist for every emotion available. The happiness and contentment of friendship is more then just magic :)
given discord's exhibited abilities,I'd rank him a greater unalinged demon. They didn't just beat him,they converted him!

Space marines draw on the power of comrades and group unity against their foe. They would be weak and unprepared for the word of Faust.
"Aid, trade, green technology and peace." - Hans Rosling.
"Welcome to SDN, where we can't see the forest because walking into trees repeatedly feels good, bro." - Mr Coffee
Sidewinder
Sith Acolyte

Post by Sidewinder »

I thought the Death Battle between Starscream and Rainbow Dash was utter bullshit.
biostem wrote:If you couple that with Luna's ability to infiltrate dreams, (Space marines need to sleep sometime)
A Space Marine is trained to recognize signs of psychic influence, and to resist it, as psykers (the 'Warhammer 40,000' term for "psychics") themselves are vulnerable to DAEMONIC influence. Someone is infiltrating his dreams? Alert the Librarian (a Space Marine with psychic powers)! Alert the Inquisition (which was specifically founded to combat psykers and the Daemons who are often the psykers' masters)! Distribute anti-psyker ammunition to our brothers in the front line!
Please do not make Americans fight giant monsters.

Those gun nuts do not understand the meaning of "overkill," and will simply use weapon after weapon of mass destruction (WMD) until the monster is dead, or until they run out of weapons.

They have more WMD than there are monsters for us to fight. (More insanity here.)
Ralin
Sith Marauder

Post by Ralin »

I'm not going to write this because I barely qualify as even a casual fan of either series, but it struck me recently* that it would be pretty freaking amusing to transport Equestria to the 40K universe and have the ponies, just, utterly dominate.
I'm just going to say, you are far, far from the first person to have this thought.
biostem wrote: Or... Pinkie may just pay the God Emperor or man a visit, wake his ass up trying to be his friend, and get him to order a full retreat...

http://www.fimfiction.net/story/185191/ ... ly-variety
Brother-Captain Gaius
Emperor's Hand

Post by Brother-Captain Gaius »

Sidewinder wrote:A Space Marine is trained to recognize signs of psychic influence, and to resist it, as psykers (the 'Warhammer 40,000' term for "psychics") themselves are vulnerable to DAEMONIC influence. Someone is infiltrating his dreams? Alert the Librarian (a Space Marine with psychic powers)! Alert the Inquisition (which was specifically founded to combat psykers and the Daemons who are often the psykers' masters)! Distribute anti-psyker ammunition to our brothers in the front line!
I think you overestimate the sagacity of the average Spess Mehren, as well as his willingness to admit weakness and certainly his willingness to talk to the Inquisition. These things depend heavily on the Chapter culture. An Imperial Fist is going to internalize such things and push himself into ever-increasing psychosis, an Ultramarine will dutifully inform his Chaplain of his psychological distress, a Dark Angel will go into a shadowy corner and listen to Linkin Park, a Black Templar will erroneously correctly interpret this as a clear and obvious vision from the Immortal Emperor that the offending ponies must be promptly disemboweled and their world left as a planet-wide grave-site for all to look upon and despair, and so on.

With that said, now, it bears pointing out that Space Marines are explicitly engineered to be able to forego real sleep for weeks at a time, so dreams are rather unlikely in the span of the typical Space Marine operation.
Agitated asshole | (Ex)40K Nut | Metalhead
The vision never dies; life's a never-ending wheel
1337 posts as of 16:34 GMT-7 June 2nd, 2003

"'He or she' is an agenderphobic microaggression, Sharon. You are a bigot." ― Randy Marsh
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

IIRC, there is a direct reference somewhere that it says a group of Space Marines spent something like... over six weeks in continuous operation with no rest breaks. It was a long-ass time, anyway, and in practice it's not really something they let happen too often as it's implied that it does a certain amount of damage (physical? psychological? who knows).

As for calling in the Inquisition, Marines in general are a little less likely to do that than, say, Guard would. There aren't many problems they can't deal with themselves, especially the Chapters with Librarians (they all have Chaplains or some equivalent), when it comes to daemonic stuff.
It's a strange world. Let's keep it that way.
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

as it's said whether a space marine would report "strange dreams" depends heavily on the Chapter culture as for calling in the inquisition only the Grey Knights would do that with any kind of certainty (being technically part of the inquisition anyway), while some Chapters might be more willing then others you've got Chapters like the Space Wolves and (pre-purge) Blood Ravens whose policy on calling the Inquisition is essentially "come the apocalypse but not before", ok not quite but you're not far off in assuming that's the case, specially when you remember that Chapter master of the Space Wolves has at least once told the Inquisition where to shove their orders.
I may be an idiot, but I'm a tolerated idiot
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Oh wait, that's marijuana..."Einhander Sn0m4n
Zeropoint
Jedi Knight

Post by Zeropoint »

As much as I prefer MLP:Fim over the grimdark excesses of the WH40K setting, I'm not going to make the classic mistake of thinking that the setting which I find aesthetically preferable MUST also be militarily superior.

I'd have to give this one to the Empire of Man just on numbers. They can lose a hundred men for every pony that falls and the exchange will still be heavily in the Empire's favor. They could defeat the ponies by throwing unarmed and unarmored Guardsmen at them until the ponies die from the exhaustion of kicking thousands of heads in every day without end.
I'm a cis-het white male, and I oppose racism, sexism, homophobia, and transphobia. I support treating all humans equally.

When fascism came to America, it was wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross.

That which will not bend must break and that which can be destroyed by truth should never be spared its demise.
biostem
Jedi Master

Post by biostem »

Zeropoint wrote:As much as I prefer MLP:Fim over the grimdark excesses of the WH40K setting, I'm not going to make the classic mistake of thinking that the setting which I find aesthetically preferable MUST also be militarily superior.

I'd have to give this one to the Empire of Man just on numbers. They can lose a hundred men for every pony that falls and the exchange will still be heavily in the Empire's favor. They could defeat the ponies by throwing unarmed and unarmored Guardsmen at them until the ponies die from the exhaustion of kicking thousands of heads in every day without end.
Remember that Discord is basically Q, so if he is included among Equestria's defenders, then things may not be so easy. Don't get me wrong - except for a handful of powerful characters, the vast majority of Equestria's inhabitants will be little more than cannon fodder for the Imperium's forces...
Starglider
Miles Dyson

Post by Starglider »

Some fantasy settings are just so fundamentally incompatible, on physical and dramatic levels, that nothing satisfying is going to come from trying to jam them together. The best you are going to do is parodying one source by representing it within the context, themes and restrictions of the other.
Sgt_Artyom
Youngling

Post by Sgt_Artyom »

Space Marines don't actually sleep. They can shut down a part of their brain which puts them into a half-sleep kind of state during which they can still fully function whilst resting. SCIENCE!
Napoleon the Clown
Jedi Council Member

Post by Napoleon the Clown »

biostem wrote:
Zeropoint wrote:As much as I prefer MLP:Fim over the grimdark excesses of the WH40K setting, I'm not going to make the classic mistake of thinking that the setting which I find aesthetically preferable MUST also be militarily superior.

Remember that Discord is basically Q, so if he is included among Equestria's defenders, then things may not be so easy. Don't get me wrong - except for a handful of powerful characters, the vast majority of Equestria's inhabitants will be little more than cannon fodder for the Imperium's forces...
This just backs up my crack theory that the ponies originate from the Warp.
Sig images are for people who aren't fucking lazy.
Brother-Captain Gaius
Emperor's Hand

Post by Brother-Captain Gaius »

Sgt_Artyom wrote:Space Marines don't actually sleep. They can shut down a part of their brain which puts them into a half-sleep kind of state during which they can still fully function whilst resting. SCIENCE!
No.

Space Marines absolutely do sleep, they can just temporarily suspend the immediate need to do so under combat or other strenuous conditions. Their catalepsean node implant merely makes proper sleep more efficient, and allows them some limited ability to "sleep with one eye open," although the latter is not a substitute for real sleep.
Agitated asshole | (Ex)40K Nut | Metalhead
The vision never dies; life's a never-ending wheel
1337 posts as of 16:34 GMT-7 June 2nd, 2003

"'He or she' is an agenderphobic microaggression, Sharon. You are a bigot." ― Randy Marsh
Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Post by Vendetta »

Napoleon the Clown wrote:Call me crazy, but I think that a Space Marine might be a little more dangerous than Starscream.
Not least because Starscream is chiefly dangerous to himself and maybe, incidentally, by accident Megatron.
Q99
Jedi Council Member

Post by Q99 »

Really, the main danger to invaders isn't the normal ponies (where there are some dangerous ones- a filly was recently seen lifting a small building- but noted as it being highly unusual and she was teased for her strength), or even the likes of weather ponies (who can make tornadoes and thunderstorms), but the high end individuals.

Discord can do city-scale reality warping (more takes time). Shining Armor, town size magical shields.

And if the princesses put all their magic into one princess, it looks like something out of Dragonball- punch through mountains, big energy blasts, and similar.

One additional threat I'd think would be Windigos. They're spirits that feed on anger and disharmony and use that to create cold. I'd imagine they'd be drawn to a war, and they could seriously frost invaders.

That said, it's a giant empire vs one world. The ponies could repulse an invasion force, but not defeat the Imperium.
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

Nothing in the OP says this is limited to the Imperium of Man, even if the High Lords of Terra deside that purging Equestria is not worth the effort and it's simply made illegal for Imperial citizens to visit there. It doesn't mean the Tau, Eldar (of any type), Tyranids, Orks, Necrons or the forces of chaos simply leave it alone.
I may be an idiot, but I'm a tolerated idiot
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Oh wait, that's marijuana..."Einhander Sn0m4n
fgalkin
Carvin' Marvin

Post by fgalkin »

This exists:

http://www.fimfiction.net/story/148048/the-dark-ones

Have a very nice day.
-fgalkin
Q99
Jedi Council Member

Post by Q99 »

Lord Revan wrote:Nothing in the OP says this is limited to the Imperium of Man, even if the High Lords of Terra deside that purging Equestria is not worth the effort and it's simply made illegal for Imperial citizens to visit there. It doesn't mean the Tau, Eldar (of any type), Tyranids, Orks, Necrons or the forces of chaos simply leave it alone.
The same pretty much applies to each- the high-end stuff may make it not the most appetizing target for any force to spend that much effort on.

That said, if Tyranids got some of the DNA of Equestrian wildlife- Scary! Scary for the galaxy, that is.

Hah, Chaos could be fun- What happens when Chaos gets hit by the Elements of Harmony or Rainbow Power? Converse chaosians into loyal Equestrians!
Ralin
Sith Marauder

Post by Ralin »

Q99 wrote:
Hah, Chaos could be fun- What happens when Chaos gets hit by the Elements of Harmony or Rainbow Power? Converse chaosians into loyal Equestrians!
Something a lot like what happened to Discord, I'm guessing.