Should Spider-Man be "pansexual"?

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

Should Spider-Man be "pansexual"?

Yes, Peter Parker should be "pansexual"
17%
No, Peter Parker should be homosexual
No votes
No, Peter Parker should remain heterosexual
74%
Yes, they should replace Peter Parker with a "pansexual" Spider-Man
No votes
No, they should replace Peter Parker with a homosexual Spider-Man
4%
No, all Spider-Men should be heterosexual, regardless of their secret identities
4%

Total votes: 23

Patroklos
Sith Devotee

Re: Should Spider-Man be "pansexual"?

Post by Patroklos »

Jub wrote: Name a new comic book character that's hit the mainstream in the last decade. The reason people want to piggyback these traits is that most new things don't gain traction. The fact is, if the new alternative character doesn't take off the studio will assume that it's due to the alternative traits and take that as a sign to continue circling the wagons.
I suppose that's why the new Spiderman movie features a black and gay (if he actually is, I haven't read spiderman comics since the 90s) main character....

Oh wait.

Piggybacking doesn't work because the audience knows exactly whats going on. Its pandering and transparently so. They will always make a media splash because people like you eat that shit up but general audiences don't. It would have been nice if a kid entering the comic store for the first time (if they exist) had just noticed a comic book on the shelf titled "Spiderman" and was introduced to a character. If the media campaign had just been "new Spiderman run, come see his new adventures!" Instead people like you making that impossible.

And I imagine the reason there are not very many new comic book heros is because its a dead medium compared to its rivals. Even other print rivels like graphic novels and anime. The movies work of nostalgia, not the love of newly introduced characters.
Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Re: Should Spider-Man be "pansexual"?

Post by Gandalf »

I'm pretty sure the films have Spider-Man be a straight white guy because it's in the studio's old contract with Marvel.
"Oh no, oh yeah, tell me how can it be so fair
That we dying younger hiding from the police man over there
Just for breathing in the air they wanna leave me in the chair
Electric shocking body rocking beat streeting me to death"

- A.B. Original, Report to the Mist

"I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."
- George Carlin