Wolfram and Hart vs. Asgard (inspired by AoU easter egg).

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Wolfram and Hart vs. Asgard (inspired by AoU easter egg).

Post by The Romulan Republic »

I saw this interesting thing recently:

comicbook.com/2015/09/10/joss-whedon-snuck-a-buffy-easter-egg-into-avengers-age-of-ultron/
Director Joss Whedon warned fans ahead of the release of Avengers: Age of Ultron that the film wouldn’t have a ton of Easter eggs, but the director did manage to sneak at least one in, and it harkens back to Whedon’s own Buffyverse.

As Whedon reveals on the director’s commentary included in the Age of Ultron Blu-ray and DVD release, the Easter egg can be spotted during Thor’s trippy vision of Asgard. During the vision, there’s a point where three masked figures appear under three archways. One is wearing a wolf mask, another a ram mask, and the third a hart (stag) mask. This should set off some bells for anyone who watched the Buffy the Vampire Slayer spinoff series, Angel.

avengers-2-buffy-angel-easter-egg-pic

The Wolf, the Ram, and the Hart are a trio of “true demons” who founded the evil law firm Wolfram & Hart, which was in constant conflict with Buffy’s ex-boyfriend Angel during the spinoff’s five seasons. The firm tended to represent the most repulsive members of human society.

Whedon nearly did something similar while he was writing Astonishing X-Men for Marvel Comics. Having named Buffy Summers after the X-Men’s Scott Summers, a.k.a. Cyclops, Whedon revealed at San Diego Comic Con in 2013 that he considered including a scene in Astonishing that would have revealed Scott has a cousin in California who was committed to an asylum because she believed she was a “demon hunter,” a clear reference to the Buffy the Vampire Slayer episode “Normal Again.” In the end, Whedon decided against including the reference, but Scott and Buffy are still cousins in my head canon.

Avengers: Age of Ultron is available now on Blu-ray, DVD, and Digital HD.
I didn't think that this warranted a thread in and of itself, but it gave me an idea for a crossover.

So, let's say that shortly after Age of Ultron, Wolfram and Hart opens a portal into Asgard (film universe), just outside the city/palace, and sends in an army like it did in LA at the end of Angel.

Can Asgard and the mighty Thor repel the full might of Wolfram and Hart?

Incidentally, since we never actually saw the Senior Partners in their true forms on Angel, can we say that this is now the canon appearance of the Wolf, the Ram, and the Hart? :D
Kojiro
Jedi Master

Re: Wolfram and Hart vs. Asgard (inspired by AoU easter egg)

Post by Kojiro »

I'm not sure how the Battle of LA went for Angel, but I know he (and others) survived.

The average Asgadian is phenomenally durable, thousands of years old and comes from a warrior culture that routinely fights monsters. They're strong enough to bend steel blades in their hands or snap handcuffs like cardboard. And they heal stupidly fast. Asgardians aren't going to get scared at some ugly looking critters like humans would. If Angel (who is probably closer on par with Captain America) and his buddies could turn back that invasion the 'ten thousand spears' of Asgard- a disciplined military force- will make laughably short work of it, even without bringing in any of the big guns.
Dragon Clan Veritech
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

The results of the invasion of LA were never really shown on the show, of course. After Angle and his allies turned on Wolfram and Hart and assassinated the Circle of the Black Thorn, the Senior Partners apparently demolished the LA branch of Wolfram and Hart (causing the building to collapse, presumably through some magical means) and then sent an army into LA. This army was only vaguely glimpsed, but as I recall it included giants and at least one dragon. The episode cut to credits just as Angel and is crew charged them, ending on a cliffhanger.

In the comics, specifically Angel: After the Fall, it was shown that LA had been turned into hellish place, and was now ruled by various demon lords. Some were bad guys, but some (Lorne, Spike, and Ilyria as I recall) were friends of Angels'.

I'm not sure exactly how it ended because I never finished it, but I read somewhere that Angel forced the Senior Partners to retcon it by killing himself, since they needed him alive for some reason (prophecy I guess).
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

I do think you're right about the quality of Asgardian soldiers.

Wolfram and Hart's top goon in season five, Hamilton, might be able to handle an ordinary Asgardian (they aren't all on Thor's level), but that's the best they have against an ordinary Asgardian (and Thor would leave him plastered on the wall of the next building over). So it'll come down to weather Wolfram and Hart can pull off large-scale magical effects that Asgard can't counter effectively and how many soldiers they can send through (they are a multidimensional organization, for whatever that's worth).

Mind you, direct confrontation isn't really their style. They're schemers first. If they were attacking Asgard, it would probably only be because some more subtle scheme of corruption and subversion failed (like, say, they recruited Loki and used him as a pawn).
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

Aim the Bifrost bridge (which we know is back online by the point) at the Portal, and put it to full sustainable fire.

I'm sure a tech that can eventually bust a planet, would make short work of Wolfram and Hart's minions.

Odds are, the Shield from Thor: Dark World is back online.

Presumably, Asgards defenses are back online. If they get anti-capital ship weapons online (standards to reason that had them as they had anti-starfighter grade weapons) and start firing through the portal....

Wolfram and Hart is going to get curb-stomped.

And that's not considering some of their hand-held weapons. Odins staff from 'Dark World' comes to mind.

And does Asgard have any of those lovely Black Hole Grenades the Dark Elves were using in 'Dark World?'
I've been asked why I still follow a few of the people I know on Facebook with 'interesting political habits and view points'.

It's so when they comment on or approve of something, I know what pages to block/what not to vote for.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

While I agree that Asgard has a weapons technology advantage (though it is worth noting that Wolfram and Hart possessed orbital weapons capability in season five of Angel), I do have to ask weather the Bifrost could be fired back at Asgard, and weather Asgard would be willing to accept the collateral damage that would entail. It would be like a US President ordering a nuclear strike on the outskirts of Washington. Not something you do lightly or unless you're desperate.

Edit: More likely, if this is as bad a mismatch as people seem to think, they'd just send Thor and/or some of his buddies (or perhaps just some ordinary Asgardians) through the portal to kick ass. Then maybe hail SHIELD and/or the Avengers and point them at Wolfram and Hart's Earthbound assets.
Korgeta
Padawan Learner

Post by Korgeta »

A conspiracy/scheme would be there only option, but what would be the end goal? The dark elves were a far more dangerous enemy, kurse had feats that rivalled the Hulk's (such as swatting away thor's hammer) and at one point in Asgard's history they had to deal with a whole number of them. I don't think Wolfman and Hart have anything close to that kind of power.

I would say wolfman would wisely sit this one out, even if they got a jab they wouldn't last to Asgard's retaliation. Too great a risk and too little to benefit.