Steven Universe Thread (Possible Spoilers)

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

Steve
Emperor's Hand

Steven Universe Thread (Possible Spoilers)

Post by Steve »

So, since I didn't see a thread for this, I figured I'd start one and see if anyone's following it on SDN.

To explain, Steven Universe is a show created by Rebecca Sugar, who has worked as a storyboard artist on "Adventure Time" - much like that series, Steven Universe is composed of episodes about 11-12 minutes long. It's essentially a fantasy show with comedy and adventure elements. And lots of character development, especially after the halfway point of the first season and the show's myth arc kicking into gear. The show likes to play with expectations and then zig where other shows zag.

Oh, and it has some really damn good music, including songs sung by characters in some of the episodes.

The series is set in Beach City, in the fictional state of Delmarva, and is based upon various mid-Atlantic beach towns that the Sugars saw in Maryland and Delaware when they were growing up. The show's plot revolves around beings called the Crystal Gems, who are humanoid forms with gems set into their bodies that are the cores of their beings; they're actually genderless beings who present as feminine. The titular Steven Universe (designed to look like Rebecca's younger brother Steven, who is an artist on the show) is a unique being; his mother Rose Quartz was a Gem, in fact she was their leader, but his father Greg is Human. And in order to give Steven life, Rose had to transfer her Gem to him and lose her physical form in the process.

IOW, the show's main character had his mother die in childbirth.

Indeed, much of the critical characterization in the series comes from showing how the loss of Rose has effected each of the characters, dealing with their feelings of loss and grief.

Eventually, in the second half of the first season, we find out more about the Gems, specifically the general facts of their origins and the threat that is gradually coming back to loom over them all.

Anyway, I was just curious as to who else has seen this show, and wanted to give it my hearty recommendation.
”A Radical is a man with both feet planted firmly in the air.” – Franklin Delano Roosevelt

"No folly is more costly than the folly of intolerant idealism." - Sir Winston L. S. Churchill, Princips Britannia

American Conservatism is about the exercise of personal responsibility without state interference in the lives of the citizenry..... unless, of course, it involves using the bludgeon of state power to suppress things Conservatives do not like.

DONALD J. TRUMP IS A SEDITIOUS TRAITOR AND MUST BE IMPEACHED
Purple
Sith Acolyte
Location: In a purple cube orbiting this planet. Hijacking satellites for an internet connection.

Re: Steven Universe Thread (Possible Spoilers)

Post by Purple »

I've seen it. Or rather what of it has been broadcast on basic cable. It's not bad at all.
It has become clear to me in the previous days that any attempts at reconciliation and explanation with the community here has failed. I have tried my best. I really have. I pored my heart out trying. But it was all for nothing.

You win. There, I have said it.

Now there is only one thing left to do. Let us see if I can sum up the strength needed to end things once and for all.
Steve
Emperor's Hand

Post by Steve »

Apparently not many here watch it. It's crazy popular over on SB and SV, with the SB thread having hit 300 pages today (it was started back in March).

A shame, because as stated, it's an excellent series
”A Radical is a man with both feet planted firmly in the air.” – Franklin Delano Roosevelt

"No folly is more costly than the folly of intolerant idealism." - Sir Winston L. S. Churchill, Princips Britannia

American Conservatism is about the exercise of personal responsibility without state interference in the lives of the citizenry..... unless, of course, it involves using the bludgeon of state power to suppress things Conservatives do not like.

DONALD J. TRUMP IS A SEDITIOUS TRAITOR AND MUST BE IMPEACHED
The Infidel
Jedi Master

Post by The Infidel »

Steve wrote:Apparently not many here watch it. It's crazy popular over on SB and SV, with the SB thread having hit 300 pages today (it was started back in March).

A shame, because as stated, it's an excellent series
Sorry about a possible necro (didn't see it before), but I DO! I watch the show and like it.
I get this feel good wibe when I watch it on Cartoon Network (Norway), but I don't think they air the episodes in propper order, besides, I only watch when I drop by the TV, so I have missed quite a bit.

I do enjoy Adventure Time as well.

(Yeah, I'm an old geezer who like cartoons, so what? :D )
Where am I at in the post apocalypse draft? When do I start getting picks? Because I want this guy. This guy right here. I will regret not being able to claim the quote, "The first I noticed while burning weed, so I burned it, aiming at its head first. It wriggled for about 10 seconds. Too long... I then fetched an old machete [+LITERALLY ANYTHING]"
- Raw Shark on my slug hunting
Q99
Jedi Council Member

Post by Q99 »

I'm quite enjoying the worldbuilding, and learning more about the gems.