[RAR] You get a jar of Handwavium

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

Zaune
Emperor's Hand

[RAR] You get a jar of Handwavium

Post by Zaune »

You've just received an odd package in the mail. There's no return address, and when you open it you discover it contains a large glass jar full of an opalescent grey liquid the approximate consistency of motor oil. There's also an envelope with "WARNING: Read this before opening the jar!" written on it.

You open the envelope, and discover the following message within... printed in green ink:

Congratulations, Spacebattler Warsie SDNizen! You are now the proud but probably very bewildered owner of one litre of base-strain Handwavium! I'm going to hand over to my good friend S. Malaclypse Fnord for a moment to explain what this stuff is and what it can do.

'The Rules of Fenspace' wrote:GENRE DIRECTIVE:

This is not a dystopia.

Fenspace is intended to be an optimistic near-future space opera. What this means is that neither the Earth nor the rest of the solar system are wracked by wars, corruption, crime, environmental collapse, peak oil, etc. At least, no more so than as of where we stood on New Year's Day, 2007. There are potential rough patches ahead, but the bulk of humanity is looking forward and has better than even odds of making it through with civilization still intact. There are still Big Bads, a shadowy conspiracy or two and plenty of mooks for the heroes to smack around of course, but they are defeatable.

In this light, those who wish to write stories involving catastrophic Mundane wars using handwavium-enhanced weaponry, the total corruption & greed of earthbound politics, the general apathy and/or suckiness of the human race, etc. are kindly invited to do their own thing elsewhere.

(Any attempt to argue that the world must suck because it's "realistic" will fall on deaf ears. As a wiser man than the Management once said, "Only a bitter little adolescent boy could confuse realism with pessimism.")

THE RULES:

Rule #0: This is a collaborative writing project, which means there's a whole bunch of people adding their ideas to the pot. As a contributor, you're expected to behave like the adults that you are (or at least are pretending to be on the internet) when participating. As the man said, "Don't be mean. We don't have to be mean."
a) Offering constructive criticism (why don't you do this?) is good. Saying 'you can't do that' is not constructive.
b) Since this is a collaborative writing project, no one writer can hog all the Good Stuff without upsetting the other writers. Don't step on anyone else's toes - don't consume too much Cool at once, don't try to be better than the already-established "best in Fenspace" at something, and talk with people before you do things that No One Else Can Do.
c) When Rule #0 conflicts with any other rule, Rule #0 trumps the other rule. As Mustrum Ridcully would put it, they're "more of a guideline".

Rule #1: Handwavium is like a cat; it doesn't go where you tell it to, it goes where it wants to. If you're trying to get a random device with no plan in mind, then that's exactly what you'll get. If you have a specific device or set of devices in mind, you will get something close but not exactly identical to your specifications within these limits:
a) You can't show handwavium a picture of your desired genre vehicle and have it build one for you.
b) Handwavium has to be combined with existing hardware in order to accomplish anything. For best results the device should have some tangental relationship to the desired end goal: a car's engine becomes a spacedrive, a fence becomes a collapsible air dome, a laptop becomes an AI-capable supercomputer, etc.
c) Handwavium has quirks. The more complex and interesting the device you're trying to build is, the quirkier it will be on average.
i) Some strains of handwavium are quirkier than others.
ii) Quirks don't apply to critical life-support systems - air, water, food, sewer. Power systems can be quirky, but never to a life-threatening extent.
d) If handwavium is like a cat, then using it to create weapons is like giving a cat a bath; difficult and full of extreme pain. To wit:
i) Any attempt to use handwavium to create advanced genre weapons (phasers, antimatter bombs, any type of anime death ray, etc.) will fail without reservation.
ii) Handwavium is not naturally explosive, either chemically or nuclear. Adding handwavium to an explosive device will just destroy the handwavium.
iii) Handwavium can be used to enhance simple weaponry (swords, knives, staves, clubs, etc.) but the enhancement will not increase the total effectiveness as a weapon - a waved sword may not need further sharpening, but it won't become a Hackmaster +12.
iv) Weapons designed and built using no or effectively no (=<1 mg per kilo) handwavium can be powered by a 'wave-based energy source and mounted in handwavium vehicles without difficulty or losing effectiveness.
v) Those who wish to point out that handwavium-based spacecraft already constitute a kinetic-energy weapon (see Rule 5 for details) are referred to the Genre Directive for further discussion.
vi) "Weapons-grade handwavium," material that can be used to create phasers, antimatter bombs, anime death rays, etc. is considered a major Plot Point and may be used as a McGuffin in future stories. As such, any use or suggestion thereof must be discussed by the writers as a group before thrown into the setting.

Rule #2: You can get one biomod, you get only one, and after you get it, you can't get rid of it, barring major reconstructive surgery - and sometimes not even then.
a) Biomods are physical alterations and like anything else that makes substantial invasive changes to a biological system, may well cause corresponding changes in physical appearance..
b) Particularly strong handwavium fumes over a period of time may be enough to biomod someone, but that's about it, and that only because the lungs are so efficient at absorbing the stuff.

Rule #3: If you have some handwavium, you can turn it into more handwavium, but you have to feed it something. The fastest it grows should be about doubling in size every day, but if you want more in a hurry then many Fen will share. What you feed your handwavium may have effects on it's appearance and upon quirks resulting from use. See 1c, above.

Rule #4: Space combat is more like Bronze Age warfare than modern warfare - you might shoot things at each other but the decisive role usually involves getting up close and personal. This is because:
a) handwavium hulls are relatively resistant to hardtech weapons. Just about any handwavium hull will be bulletproof and it's not difficult to make them proof against anti-tank weapons (although not everyone bothers to).
b) See 1d, above.
c) Bigger ships tend to be slower than smaller craft, but smaller craft, which control the engagement ranges, have less ability to inflict hurt. But they can 'land' boarders relatively easily.

Rule #5: Handwavium-enhanced engines tend to produce speed drives, which allow vehicles to fly around without needing lots of fuel, cornering on dimes, etc.
a) The top velocity of a speed drive is determined by the total dry mass of a vehicle. The smaller it is, the faster it is.
i) The absolute maximum velocity a speed drive can reach is .2c, or 20% the speed of light, or about 60,000 kilometers a second.
b) Faster than light (FTL) travel is rare and - so far - requires moving outside the Limit, a boundary around 35 and 40 AU away from the sun.
i) The maximum FTL velocity a speed drive can reach is 500c, or 500 times the speed of light.
c) Speed drives slow down significantly in atmospheres, due to vehicle mass, size, engine power, atmospheric density and local gravity. This makes entering or exiting atmosphere with a speed drive a tricky process. The reduced speed is too low to make kinetic-energy weapon strikes (for sufficiently high values of "kinetic energy") effective inside an atmosphere.

For further information, I recommend you check out http://www.fenspace.net.

Now go do something awesome out there, 'kay? Oh, and if you see Mal, tell him I said "psychotic break my ass!"

Haruhi.

So... What will you do now?

(The Rules of Fenspace were originally posted here on the Fenspace forums.)
There are hardly any excesses of the most crazed psychopath that cannot easily be duplicated by a normal kindly family man who just comes in to work every day and has a job to do.
-- (Terry Pratchett, Small Gods)

Replace "ginger" with "n*gger," and suddenly it become a lot less funny, doesn't it?
-- fgalkin

Like my writing? Tip me on Patreon

I Have A Blog
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Re: [RAR] You get a jar of Handwavium

Post by Batman »

I throw it away because it requires me to a) write and b) behave like an adult.
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
SpottedKitty
Jedi Master

Post by SpottedKitty »

Interesting. I keep meaning to settle down and read some of the Fenspace stories. Can Handwavium make my square tuit change into a round one...? :wink:
“Despite rumor, Death isn't cruel — merely terribly, terribly good at his job.”
Terry Pratchett, Sourcery
Zaune
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zaune »

SpottedKitty wrote:Interesting. I keep meaning to settle down and read some of the Fenspace stories. Can Handwavium make my square tuit change into a round one...? :wink:
Maybe if what you're procrastinating about could be construed as Mad Science.
There are hardly any excesses of the most crazed psychopath that cannot easily be duplicated by a normal kindly family man who just comes in to work every day and has a job to do.

Replace "ginger" with "n*gger," and suddenly it become a lot less funny, doesn't it?
-- fgalkin

I Have A Blog
FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Post by FaxModem1 »

So, quick question, how much handwavium does it take to do something? I have a jar of the stuff, does it take the whole jar to say, turn my truck into a walking mech or flying solar car, or just a sprinkle of the stuff? Does it apply to only technology, or can it be used to solve bigger problems we have? For instance, can I fix the economy by going to New York City and dumping the jar on the New York Stock Exchange? If I start snorting it like some sort of opiate, do I become a Final Fantasy villain, Superman, or the monster from the Cronenberg version of the Fly?
madd0ct0r
Sith Acolyte

Post by madd0ct0r »

As much as you think is needed, although a) you can feed the handwavium parts to expand it, and b) the more you use, the bigger and quirkier the effect.

Treat handwavium as an intelligent pandimensional slimemould with a sense of humour and a penchent for pulp sci-fi.
"Aid, trade, green technology and peace." - Hans Rosling.
"Welcome to SDN, where we can't see the forest because walking into trees repeatedly feels good, bro." - Mr Coffee
Zaune
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zaune »

FaxModem1 wrote:So, quick question...
You need enough to coat the item you're 'waving in a thin layer of the stuff, at least. It's self-replicating to a limited extent if you give it some raw material; old scrap metal is easiest.

It only affects technology, metallurgy and living organisms. If you want to fix the US economy, go snag an asteroid full of platinum and get rich enough to buy a good-sized voting bloc. ;)

And don't get it on your skin, much less ingest it! You might conceivably get some mildly useful special abilities, but biomodding is not a precise art even for experts; turning yourself into a catgirl is one of the less bizarre ways it can go wrong. There's one person in canon who randomly and uncontrollably changes gender, a girl who fell in a dip-tank of the stuff and woke up as a hivemind of Rei Ayanami lookalikes, someone else was forcibly merged with their replica Bubblegum Crisis hardsuit...

Just... don't drink it unless you know exactly what you're getting into, okay?
madd0ct0r wrote:Treat handwavium as an intelligent pandimensional slimemould with a sense of humour and a penchent for pulp sci-fi.
I'm going to incorporate that description into my Fenspace fics.

-- fgalkin

I Have A Blog
madd0ct0r
Sith Acolyte

Post by madd0ct0r »

Ok, I take quarter of the jar, and dilute it with 2 parts fabric softener, 1 part laundry detergent and an entire pack of crayola crayons. I thread wire and sequins throughout a body suit and jacket, and after soaking under a full moon and drying under a noon sun I hope to have an active camouflage kit.

Next I would focus on building self replicating solar powered bugs that are programmed to kill mosquito's, cockroaches and to devour anything metallic that smells of gunpowder. I'm still a little leery of unleashing my swarm on the world, but hey, they will aprcieate my genius in time.

Speaking of which, the end game would be a Thunderbird type converted oil tanker capable of delivering emergency aid and (re)building infrastructure in devastated regions, but one tank tread at a time.
"Welcome to SDN, where we can't see the forest because walking into trees repeatedly feels good, bro." - Mr Coffee
Zaune
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zaune »

madd0ct0r wrote:Ok, I take quarter of the jar, and dilute it with 2 parts fabric softener, 1 part laundry detergent and an entire pack of crayola crayons. I thread wire and sequins throughout a body suit and jacket, and after soaking under a full moon and drying under a noon sun I hope to have an active camouflage kit.

Next I would focus on building self replicating solar powered bugs that are programmed to kill mosquito's, cockroaches and to devour anything metallic that smells of gunpowder. I'm still a little leery of unleashing my swarm on the world, but hey, they will aprcieate my genius in time.

Speaking of which, the end game would be a Thunderbird type converted oil tanker capable of delivering emergency aid and (re)building infrastructure in devastated regions, but one tank tread at a time.
This has a lot of potential. The oil tanker would be an extremely long-term thing though, unless you pitched it to the Blue Blazer Irregulars or one of the other disaster-relief organisations.

Seriously, if you're interested in taking this further then you might want to swing by the IRC channel or the official Fenspace forums.

-- fgalkin

I Have A Blog
biostem
Jedi Master

Post by biostem »

I'd buy a top-of-the-line laptop and install some handwavium into it. I'd be polite and respectful to the AI that emerges, and utilize it to help me design/build a few new pieces of technology, which would make me a million or billionaire. Again, I'd make every effort to stay o friendly terms w/ the AI, (never using it to hurt people), and I'd be earnest with the fact that, should the government or greater populace catch on that it's an AI, it'd be taken away and locked up somewhere - so it'd be best if we keep our relationship secret and amicable.

If we're able to get to the point where we've built up a large amount of funds and facilities/resources, I'd start a "side project" in the form of a yacht or private plane company, culminating in one made to my own specifications, then enhanced with some handwavium.

Beyond that, I may eventually share the handwavvium with some trusted friends, but that would be something to consider way, way down the line...
Zaune
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zaune »

biostem wrote:I'd buy a top-of-the-line laptop and install some handwavium into it. I'd be polite and respectful to the AI that emerges, and utilize it to help me design/build a few new pieces of technology, which would make me a million or billionaire. Again, I'd make every effort to stay o friendly terms w/ the AI, (never using it to hurt people), and I'd be earnest with the fact that, should the government or greater populace catch on that it's an AI, it'd be taken away and locked up somewhere - so it'd be best if we keep our relationship secret and amicable.

If we're able to get to the point where we've built up a large amount of funds and facilities/resources, I'd start a "side project" in the form of a yacht or private plane company, culminating in one made to my own specifications, then enhanced with some handwavium.

Beyond that, I may eventually share the handwavvium with some trusted friends, but that would be something to consider way, way down the line...
Heh heh heh... What makes you think you're the only person in this scenario who has access to the 'wavium?

-- fgalkin

I Have A Blog
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

I promised my wife we'd go into space if I ever figured out how to work out a spaceship. So spaceship it is, even if that's not what I'd have done anyway (and it probably is).

Single stage to orbit, vertical takeoff and landing, of course, because, well- it was promised.

"But the future that we lost is still some place out there; Orion still rides hellfire toward the blue, and rocketships land proudly on their tailfins, as God and Robert Heinlein meant them to."

And, heck, you can in fact do that with hardtech. Now I just need access to the machine tools, because damned if I'm not too proud not to work up a credible semblance of a rocket engine before dipping it in the handwavium bath.
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
Zaune
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zaune »

Simon_Jester wrote:Now I just need access to the machine tools, because damned if I'm not too proud not to work up a credible semblance of a rocket engine before dipping it in the handwavium bath.
You and many other people.

-- fgalkin

I Have A Blog
madd0ct0r
Sith Acolyte

Post by madd0ct0r »

Zaune wrote:
madd0ct0r wrote:Ok, I take quarter of the jar, and dilute it with 2 parts fabric softener, 1 part laundry detergent and an entire pack of crayola crayons. I thread wire and sequins throughout a body suit and jacket, and after soaking under a full moon and drying under a noon sun I hope to have an active camouflage kit.

This has a lot of potential. The oil tanker would be an extremely long-term thing though, unless you pitched it to the Blue Blazer Irregulars or one of the other disaster-relief organisations.

Seriously, if you're interested in taking this further then you might want to swing by the IRC channel or the official Fenspace forums.

I'd be lying if I said I haven't the last two days sketching out character ideas, plot arcs and reading up on Season 2. Bloody catgirls everywhere! Time is an issue for me though. fast reader, but very slow writer, I couldn't remotely keep up at the last STGODS.

Do you know of any stories where handwavium is applied to living creatures in a non-cat girl way? I'm trying to figure out if injecting chloroplasts into crocodile eggs could give you faster growing for less meat beasts. If you are running a crocodile farm out in Vietnam, it's a sensible buisness case with far to many amusing ways to go wrong.
Zaune
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zaune »

Good question. I don't think there's been much in the way of systematic large-scale experimentation with the effects of handwavium on livestock in-universe; the stuff's too heavily regulated on Earth and the logistical problems of raising a herd of cattle in Fenspace are formidable.

I do however know of two cases where a family pet has been biomodded; a pony and a dog.

This could turn into a particularly weird post-cyberpunk version of Animal Farm. I approve!

-- fgalkin

I Have A Blog
Purple
Sith Acolyte
Location: In a purple cube orbiting this planet. Hijacking satellites for an internet connection.

Post by Purple »

In that case I jump into the thing head first. What ever comes out will be more interesting than I am now.
It has become clear to me in the previous days that any attempts at reconciliation and explanation with the community here has failed. I have tried my best. I really have. I pored my heart out trying. But it was all for nothing.

You win. There, I have said it.

Now there is only one thing left to do. Let us see if I can sum up the strength needed to end things once and for all.
madd0ct0r
Sith Acolyte

Post by madd0ct0r »

Purple, I was going to make small purple cubes a minor plot character - you mind?
FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Post by FaxModem1 »

I figure I buy a a few solar panels, plane parts, comfortable furniture and strap it together with handwavium, trying to make the Geo-Cruiser from Captain Planet. If the Handwavium makes a design that's able to be copies, I just created a new era of solar flight around the planet powered by the sun.

Either sell the design to Ford or have them contract out the rights for a fortune, as well as making the world a wondrous and much more environmentally friendly place.
Borgholio
Sith Acolyte

Post by Borgholio »

I'd license to a company that is more forward-thinking than Ford when it comes to environmentalism. Try Tesla or Toyota first.
You will be assimilated...bunghole!
FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Post by FaxModem1 »

Fair point, and if Tesla has its hands on a solar car, it would probably become a leader in the car industry. How temperamental would the handwavium be on creating the Geo-cruiser, and would I need more handwavium to make more of them, or would it be possible to study the prototype and copy the design?
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

There are references to people trying to reverse-engineer handwavium technology, but it seems to be... difficult? Not impossible as such, but the handwavium knows a heck of a lot more science than we do, and a lot of its designs are as beyond us as a space shuttle would be beyond a bunch of ancient Romans.
Zaune wrote:
Simon_Jester wrote:Now I just need access to the machine tools, because damned if I'm not too proud not to work up a credible semblance of a rocket engine before dipping it in the handwavium bath.
You and many other people.
I know, right?
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
SpottedKitty
Jedi Master

Post by SpottedKitty »

Okay, I just found the chronological list of stories, season by season. Anything I should know before I schedule a deep dive into the archive for the weekend...?
“Despite rumor, Death isn't cruel — merely terribly, terribly good at his job.”
Terry Pratchett, Sourcery
Purple
Sith Acolyte
Location: In a purple cube orbiting this planet. Hijacking satellites for an internet connection.

Post by Purple »

madd0ct0r wrote:Purple, I was going to make small purple cubes a minor plot character - you mind?
:) I have no objection.
It has become clear to me in the previous days that any attempts at reconciliation and explanation with the community here has failed. I have tried my best. I really have. I pored my heart out trying. But it was all for nothing.

You win. There, I have said it.

Now there is only one thing left to do. Let us see if I can sum up the strength needed to end things once and for all.
FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Post by FaxModem1 »

Simon_Jester wrote:There are references to people trying to reverse-engineer handwavium technology, but it seems to be... difficult? Not impossible as such, but the handwavium knows a heck of a lot more science than we do, and a lot of its designs are as beyond us as a space shuttle would be beyond a bunch of ancient Romans.
So, at worst, I create a technology thousands of years beyond us and it becomes a one-off oddity that no one can duplicate. Otherwise, we may get insights into new technologies and be able to bring about a new technological revolution?
InsaneTD
Jedi Knight

Post by InsaneTD »

There is a story of a guy that used handwavium to make a machine that built advanced Android bodies. The bodies didn't have any handwavium in them. Might not be possible to do it with something like a plane or starship. But you could always talk to the community and find out.