Ezio Auditore da Firenze shows up in Westeros

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

Balrog
Jedi Council Member

Ezio Auditore da Firenze shows up in Westeros

Post by Balrog »

As the title says, one day Ezio Auditore da Firenze of Assassin's Creed fame is transported to Westeros, specifically King's Landing, during the very beginning of Clash of Kings/Season 2 in the books/tv show. This is Ezio as of the end of Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood, with all of the weapons, armor and gear available (he has bullets and enough powder for six shots for him and his friends, but will have to find a replacement as he goes), as well as around 10,000 gold dragon coins and three generic fully-trained Assassin buddies. He's bought a nice manse in a respectable part of King's Landing to hold all of his things and serve as his headquarters at first, obviously he's free to move around as he sees fit. Being a renaissance man he has a general knowledge of Westeros - its Great Houses, history and folk lore and so forth - but not any secret or "plot" knowledge, and he and his compatriots can speak the Common Tongue as well as Valyrian as spoken in the Free Cities.

He gets approached by three people with three different proposals for him: the first is from an agent of Tyrion Lannister. Tyrion, Hand of the King, wants him to travel to Riverrun to free his brother Jamie and return him to King's Landing. The second is an agent of Catelyn Stark, who wants him to free her daughters Sansa and Arya and return them to her in Riverrun. And the third, deigning to tell whom they represent, want him to travel across the Narrow Sea and kill Daenerys Stormborn. All will pay handsomely for completing the job.

Give this, which job would he pick, or would he try to do two or even all three? Or would he decide to do something else entirely?
'Ai! ai!' wailed Legolas. 'A Balrog! A Balrog is come!'
Gimli stared with wide eyes. 'Durin's Bane!' he cried, and letting his axe fall he covered his face.
'A Balrog,' muttered Gandalf. 'Now I understand.' He faltered and leaned heavily on his staff. 'What an evil fortune! And I am already weary.'
- J.R.R Tolkien, The Fellowship of the Ring
GuppyShark
Sith Devotee

Re: Ezio Auditore da Firenze shows up in Westeros

Post by GuppyShark »

From what I recall of Ezio's character, he would be hard pressed to turn away a mother seeking the rescue of her daughters from captivity.

Beyond that, I don't believe the Assassins would have an interest in supporting one side or another in a feudal dispute. They exist to promote freedom from tyranny, as cliche as that sounds.
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

I'm not familiar with Ezio's character, but from what I have heard, am I correct in assuming he might be something like a 'Lawful Neutral' alignment? Possibly 'Chaotic Good'?

Is he the type to find out what context he's in? Investigate the various histories of the realm? Would he be inclined, for example, to see if he can find out who's trying to get him to assassinate Daenarys?
It's a strange world. Let's keep it that way.
Zixinus
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zixinus »

There are no Templar in this world, so he would be pretty lost at first at what to do. He probably would not visibly enter public politics and not consider doing assassinations himself (even rejecting the mission here). I imagine that he'd only consider getting involved when Joffrey gets really out of control. Ezio's main goal in life is that of Assassin cause, and since he is the sole head/master, he would not risk his life because it would mean the possible death of the Assassin cause.

But my guess is that he would seek to create Assassins, complete with parkour and ideology. It may be that he would not play politics much in the way the local region expect, instead creating and spreading an Assassin net and cause. He may not even consider attacking the existing system within his lifetime.

In available missions, I think he would pick smuggling the lost daughters back. It would not have a terribly big political consequence but it would allow him to gain influence in the North.

Of course, there is also the question of whether Ezio would run afoul of the other notable assassins of the realm.
Credo!
Chat with me on Skype if you want to talk about writing, ideas or if you want a test-reader! PM for address.
Starglider
Miles Dyson

Post by Starglider »

Elheru Aran wrote:Is he the type to find out what context he's in? Investigate the various histories of the realm? Would he be inclined, for example, to see if he can find out who's trying to get him to assassinate Daenarys?
Yes, canonically Ezio is very into retrieving both ancient lore and current intelligence. The entire fourth game is about Ezio's personal quest for historical answers. By the end of Brotherhood he had completed his personal revenge arc and was mostly about building an underground organisation that would resist slavery and oppression. Ezio is still a product of his time of course and seems perfectly fine with the concept of nobility as long as they don't start wars, enslave or genocide ethnic groups, or generally cause excessive misery.
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

Doesn't the GoT world already have their own Assassins in the form of the Faceless Men? Ezio trying to create his own Assassins would likely run afoul of them, although they may not care that much if he kept it to the relatively provincial continent of Westeros.

He does have some henchmen in this context; he may not be averse to taking multiple missions if he can send them to do one while he does another. In this case it may be simpler to do both the rescue of Joffrey and returning Arya and Sansa to their mother.
The Vortex Empire
Jedi Council Member

Post by The Vortex Empire »

Ezio would likely be happy to rescue Arya and Sansa even without the goodwill that would get him in the North, and rescuing Jamie isn't out of the question either, but he would absolutely not kill Daenerys. He doesn't kill people without cause. Without any Templars around, he would probably try to build a new Assassin organization and put it's efforts towards killing people in the world who cause unnecessary harm, like King Joffrey, the Mountain, etc.
Kingmaker
Jedi Knight

Post by Kingmaker »

Doesn't the GoT world already have their own Assassins in the form of the Faceless Men? Ezio trying to create his own Assassins would likely run afoul of them, although they may not care that much if he kept it to the relatively provincial continent of Westeros.
The Faceless Men are a wonky death cult that seem to regard assassination as an extension of their religion. We get no indication they particularly care about competition for business.
In the event that the content of the above post is factually or logically flawed, I was Trolling All Along.

"Essentially, all models are wrong, but some are useful." - George Box
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

Kingmaker wrote:
The Faceless Men are a wonky death cult that seem to regard assassination as an extension of their religion. We get no indication they particularly care about competition for business.
The Faceless men don't even seek contracts, contracts find them. They will kill anyone for a price but there are great indications that killing is religious in nature the price is not gold but COST. If you want someone dead it has to cost you. A beggar can't kill a king no matter if she's willing to give everything she has because she has so little to lose, but a rich merchant might if he gave up his business and his children. A King trying to kill another King would have to pay enough to put the realm in financial trouble.

Going to the faceless men is supposed to be the last resort, the place you turn to when all other avenues of justice are denied you. They are not nice people but they kill other people if your willing to part with a good deal of what you hold valuable.

"A cult is a religion with no political power." -Tom Wolfe
Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

In that case then unless Ezio really pisses off someone, the Faceless Men aren't going to bother going after him, unless he pisses *them* off directly (perhaps accidentally killing one of their agents or something-- but they might just consider that a sacrifice to the Black Goat or whatever-- we really don't know enough about them).

Given how he's based on a game character who's more or less directed by the player, we have less to go on than we would have with, say, the Witcher (as he has a novel series you can use to derive a likely course of action).

If he manages to successfully return the Stark girls to Catelyn, that defangs a lot of the North's aggression; the only thing they will have to go on is Ned's injust execution, and I can see Tywin Lannister quietly bribing everybody with the resources of Casterly Rock to go away. On the other hand, if he kills a bunch of Lannisters in the process of rescuing the girls, that's not going to help the situation.

As for Jaime. Lannisters aren't going to stop fighting the North if they get him back. The North will have one less high-value hostage to bargain with. Honestly I'm not really seeing much way for the North to 'win' in this situation unless they get Ezio to eliminate Tywin, Cersei and Joffrey.
Kingmaker
Jedi Knight

Post by Kingmaker »

If he manages to successfully return the Stark girls to Catelyn, that defangs a lot of the North's aggression; the only thing they will have to go on is Ned's injust execution, and I can see Tywin Lannister quietly bribing everybody with the resources of Casterly Rock to go away.
I don't think this is likely. The original reason for the Northerners marching south was to help defend the Riverlands from Lannister armies. Rescuing Ned Stark got added to the to-do list after he wound up imprisoned, and his execution was the final straw that let Jon Umber talk them into independence, but they weren't in a particularly good mood before that. I doubt Tywin is going to have much luck bribing them to go away. (Plus, I've never gotten the impression that Tywin was the kind of guy to try and pay off his enemies; he might throw money at the problem, but not in that manner).

If Ezio rescues Jamie Lannister, it's possibly less likely that Rickard Karstark never kills the other two Lannister prisoners and Robb doesn't execute him, thus alienating a large part of his army. Another possibility is that with Jamie in hand, Tywin moves more aggressively against the Starks, which winds up hurting him in the long run since it runs the risk of a) getting caught in Robb's trap in the West and b) being out of position and unable to help when Stannis assaults King's Landing. If those two things happen (and they nearly did anyway), the Lannisters basically lose the war.
In the event that the content of the above post is factually or logically flawed, I was Trolling All Along.

"Essentially, all models are wrong, but some are useful." - George Box
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

Well it's been a while since I read ASOIAF... I'll take your word for it :P
Raw Shark
Stunt Driver / Babysitter

Post by Raw Shark »

Meta Answer: This is going to directly involve Arya somehow, or GRRM's wife will make him pay dearly for it. I'd wager that Ezio takes the contract to rescue her and that she becomes his first protege instead of running off to join the Faceless Men. Syrio Forel already had her fencing and doing parkour, and his demise left her in the market for yet another flamboyantly-ballsy father figure, so it's a natural fit. Without the need to pay lip service to a religion she gives exactly zero shits about, she probably kills more people sooner, but doesn't get to learn magic in the long run, for what that's worth.

"Do I really look like a guy with a plan? Y'know what I am? I'm a dog chasing cars. I wouldn't know what to do with one if I caught it! Y'know, I just do things..." --The Joker
Titan Uranus
Padawan Learner

Post by Titan Uranus »

Given Ezio's penchant for attracting all sorts of forgotten and experimental technology I expect that he would wind up being great friends with one or more unorthodox maesters, as well as causing all the magical artifacts in the world to steadily and "miraculously" find themselves in his possession, probably including some magical suit of armor acquired from a trip to the Freehold. Also, depending on how charismatic you assume him to be, he will have an army of assassins, sellswords, thieves, and whores and own half the city of Kings Landing before Joffery becomes a problem.

I know allot of that is gameplay, but even per the canonical story, I'm pretty sure that he gets from zero to 100% completion in a couple of years in Brotherhood.