Suicide Squad - First trailer released.

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

Iroscato
Jedi Council Member

Suicide Squad - First trailer released.

Post by Iroscato »

Well this is a nice surprise :P
I guess DC relented after the comic con leak and released it fully after a bit of moaning (seriously, why complain? It created free buzz and probably adds millions to the box office haul). I think it looks great personally, certainly a bi different. Enjoy y'all.
Yeah, I've always taken the subtext of the Birther movement to be, "The rules don't count here! This is different! HE'S BLACK! BLACK, I SAY! ARE YOU ALL BLIND!?

- Raw Shark

Destiny and fate are for those too weak to forge their own futures. Where we are 'supposed' to be is irrelevent.

- SirNitram (RIP)
Crown
NARF

Re: Suicide Squad - First trailer released.

Post by Crown »

Did they take off that ridiculous forehead tattoo that Jared Leto had?

(And off topic, but I wish Fox would release the Deadpool trailer already)
Η ζωή, η ζωή εδω τελειώνει!
"Science is one cold-hearted bitch with a 14" strap-on" - Masuka 'Dexter'
"Angela is not the woman you think she is Gabriel, she's done terrible things"
"So have I, and I'm going to do them all to you." - Sylar to Arthur 'Heroes'
Tribble
Sith Devotee

Post by Tribble »

Umm, why is a trailer being released when they are still filming? That's kind of ridiculous.

EDIT: Yes, I do actually know why. Box office and all that. But it's still ridiculous that they're doing it. A few more years and we'll be getting trailers for films that aren't even in production yet... Oh wait, there was that Deadpool one. Bastards.
Last edited by Tribble on 2015-07-13 06:10pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I reject your reality and substitute my own!" - The official Troll motto, as stated by Adam Savage
Crown
NARF

Post by Crown »

Tribble wrote:Umm, why is a trailer being released when they are still filming? That's kind of ridiculous.
It's all about the hype yo!
Η ζωή, η ζωή εδω τελειώνει!
"Science is one cold-hearted bitch with a 14" strap-on" - Masuka 'Dexter'
"Angela is not the woman you think she is Gabriel, she's done terrible things"
"So have I, and I'm going to do them all to you." - Sylar to Arthur 'Heroes'
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

Apart from Harley Quinn seeming to act a bit too mature, it seems nice, certainly the costumes look good.
I may be an idiot, but I'm a tolerated idiot
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Oh wait, that's marijuana..."Einhander Sn0m4n
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic »

Not a fan of the new Joker. Not sure how to explain it.

Harley's okay, I guess, though she seems a bit more sombre than other depictions I've seen, maybe.

Besides that, looks grimdark as hell but in a strange, off-beat way.

And its always nice to see Batman in action. I think he's going to be half the reason I'd consider watching this film (unless Batman vs. Superman comes out first and really blows).
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

Don't like the new Joker either and where was Harley acting 'too mature/somber'?
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

Batman wrote:Don't like the new Joker either and where was Harley acting 'too mature/somber'?
To me Harley Quinn works best when she's basically a loud hyperactive 12 year old in an Adult woman's body. It gives a nice contrast to the typical sultry sexpot styles villainesses comics have (that or the ugly bitter ones). This Harley seems far too sedate and in control.
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

The admittedly small sample base from the trailer seems to jive perfectly well with the original Harley from the Timmverse?
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
FSTargetDrone
Emperor's Hand

Post by FSTargetDrone »

So, Jared Leto is channeling Heath Ledger there, right? Because it sure sounds like it to me.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

I suppose the voice at the end sounds a little similar. But something feels off about this Joker to me, and not off in the "he's a crazy fucker" way that the Joker is supposed to have.

Oh well. I don't want to be too judgemental based on just one trailer.
Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf »

I just hope it doesn't turn into the Harley Quinn show.
"Oh no, oh yeah, tell me how can it be so fair
That we dying younger hiding from the police man over there
Just for breathing in the air they wanna leave me in the chair
Electric shocking body rocking beat streeting me to death"

- A.B. Original, Report to the Mist

"I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."
- George Carlin
Batman
Emperor's Hand

Post by Batman »

I know somebody who'd just 'love' that :)
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Gandalf wrote:I just hope it doesn't turn into the Harley Quinn show.
Oh come on. What makes you think that they might? And how likely is it that they won't give the Joker and Batman centre stage, even if its not technically a Batman movie?
Batman
Emperor's Hand

Post by Batman »

They managed to do it for the 'animated' Suicide Squad movie.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

I actually wouldn't mind giving Harley more attention. Her and the other lesser known characters. I mean, everyone knows the Joker and Batman, and unless this film and Batman vs. Superman fail, they will probably get their own movie again soon. So I kind of want the film to let the more obscure characters take the limelight for a while.

I'd also say that focussing on Harley would let DC finally one-up Marvel in the female lead category (at least in film- Marvel's already done it on TV) except that Harley is pretty much a cruel opposite of a strong female protagonist. She's interesting and sympathetic, but when you get right down to it she's the Joker's brainwashed domestic abuse victim.
Joun_Lord
Jedi Master

Post by Joun_Lord »

I'm digging it but I still worry about this. As others have said it seems a bit sombre. That the main thing that has pissed me off about the DC movies is they have been RAR grimdark no fun allowed affairs. Thats why Marvel kills it, their movies are serious action movies but much more light hearted, not afraid to pop in a joke or two, and the movies aren't washed out brown (seriously, there was some fan project recently to restore Man of Steel to color because apparently they put some grim and gritty brown shit filter over the whole movie for some goddamn reason).

I was hoping this would be the movie to break the mold. Its got a ridiculous premise, the Joker, Harley Quinn, a Mad Tv alum, and sometimes funny Will Smith. I ain't saying it should be a comedy but it should be the closest DC has to like a Marvel movie. This should be their Guardians of the Galaxy.

As for this being the Harley Quinn show, Margot Robbie is the top billed actor on IMDB. I think we all knew that was going to happen anyway. They probably aren't going to focus on generic white leader guy if we are really lucky and Joker and Batman are both probably just going to have cameos (maybe on the Joker, I remember reading something about him having a pretty big part in SS but that was unconfirmed), Harley is by far the most interesting out of the characters remaining. It should work if they don't try to downplay her rather excitable nature while still exploring the tortured woman underneath the make-up.

http://sploid.gizmodo.com/man-of-steel- ... 1700007597

One other thing unrelated to the movie mostly but goddamn the chick playing Enchantress has some eyebrows on her.
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

well they should take adviced from their own works both the Arkham series of games and the DCAU managed to be "serious" or "not camp" without having to be this oppressive grim dark.
Lagmonster
Master Control Program
Master Control Program

Post by Lagmonster »

Speaking as an old school Jack Nicholson fan, I'm pleased that the Joker is now played by an array of actors who can do great Jack Nicholson impressions.
madd0ct0r
Sith Acolyte

Post by madd0ct0r »

Lord Revan wrote:
Batman wrote:Don't like the new Joker either and where was Harley acting 'too mature/somber'?
To me Harley Quinn works best when she's basically a loud hyperactive 12 year old in an Adult woman's body. It gives a nice contrast to the typical sultry sexpot styles villainesses comics have (that or the ugly bitter ones). This Harley seems far too sedate and in control.
90min of that would be deeply irritating. I'll settle for damaged occasionally manic nihilist. I knew a few girls like that. fun until they try and stab you with a snapped off umbrella handle.
"Aid, trade, green technology and peace." - Hans Rosling.
"Welcome to SDN, where we can't see the forest because walking into trees repeatedly feels good, bro." - Mr Coffee
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

The Harley who worked well as a twelve year old in an adult's body was, literally, a cartoon character. One of the most cartoonish characters in the DCAU, what with swinging giant mallets larger than her torso and so on.

Now, that was a good character, but I'm not sure how well she'd translate to the silver screen.
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
madd0ct0r
Sith Acolyte

Post by madd0ct0r »

It can work - look at Kung Fu Hustle. That was big on cartoon physics being the result of silly powers.
"Aid, trade, green technology and peace." - Hans Rosling.
"Welcome to SDN, where we can't see the forest because walking into trees repeatedly feels good, bro." - Mr Coffee
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

madd0ct0r wrote:It can work - look at Kung Fu Hustle. That was big on cartoon physics being the result of silly powers.
Yeah, but they didn't try mixing it with 'real' stuff. I can buy Harley swinging a sledgehammer, perhaps even a 24-lb one; I can't quite buy a *live action* Harley swinging a hammer bigger than she is.
It's a strange world. Let's keep it that way.
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

Elheru Aran wrote:
madd0ct0r wrote:It can work - look at Kung Fu Hustle. That was big on cartoon physics being the result of silly powers.
Yeah, but they didn't try mixing it with 'real' stuff. I can buy Harley swinging a sledgehammer, perhaps even a 24-lb one; I can't quite buy a *live action* Harley swinging a hammer bigger than she is.
tbh the Arkham Harley acts pretty much like the DCAU one, she just uses a baseball bat instead of huge mallet.
TOSDOC
Padawan Learner
Location: Rotating between Redshirt Hospital and the Stormtrooper School of Marksmanship.

Post by TOSDOC »

I have to admit, I'm a bit weirded out by this premise. I enjoy a good root-for-the-anti-hero movie, but most of those seem to be flicks where the protagonist has vigilante leanings but hasn't been an actual convicted felon. Particularly folks like Blade, the Punisher, and V.

This flick seems more like letting Hannibal Lector off the leash to go eat the Mob or something, and I'm just wondering if it's possible for a general audience to sympathize with such characters, if these are psychos who should've never been let out of their hole. Is one of the ideas here to make the audience uncomfortable with feeling such a possible empathy towards these characters?
"In the long run, however, there can be no excuse for any individual not knowing what it is possible for him to know. Why shouldn't he?" --Elliot Grosvenor, Voyage of the Space Beagle