Dark Horse Announces Legend of Korra Comic Books

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

Steve
Emperor's Hand

Dark Horse Announces Legend of Korra Comic Books

Post by Steve »

http://www.comicbookresources.com/artic ... ook-series

http://bryankonietzko.tumblr.com/post/1 ... -as-comics

Ladies and gentlemen, the fandom squeeing... IT'S OVER NINE THOUUUUSAAAND!
”A Radical is a man with both feet planted firmly in the air.” – Franklin Delano Roosevelt

"No folly is more costly than the folly of intolerant idealism." - Sir Winston L. S. Churchill, Princips Britannia

American Conservatism is about the exercise of personal responsibility without state interference in the lives of the citizenry..... unless, of course, it involves using the bludgeon of state power to suppress things Conservatives do not like.

DONALD J. TRUMP IS A SEDITIOUS TRAITOR AND MUST BE IMPEACHED
Ire
Youngling

Re: Dark Horse Announces Legend of Korra Comic Books

Post by Ire »

Oh god not more pandering
Adrian McNair
Padawan Learner

Post by Adrian McNair »

Ire wrote:Oh god not more pandering
And what exactly do you mean by "pandering?" I'll give you the chance to clarify that rather than make any assumptions.

As one of the people who unironically loved the ending I'm definitely excited by this. Perhaps now we'll finally get to visit the Fire Nation and see what it's like after all of that technological advancement. Naturally, I also want to see them expand upon Korra and Asami's relationship (they no longer need to pull their punches when it comes to conveying displays of affection between the two).
Balrog
Jedi Council Member

Post by Balrog »

I only saw the first two seasons but heard all the wailing and gnashing of teeth about her suddenly being bi with no warning, followed by the SJW types responding with "heteronormative eyesight" or whatever. I've held off passing judgment to see who is actually right until I've seen the last seasons for myself.
'Ai! ai!' wailed Legolas. 'A Balrog! A Balrog is come!'
Gimli stared with wide eyes. 'Durin's Bane!' he cried, and letting his axe fall he covered his face.
'A Balrog,' muttered Gandalf. 'Now I understand.' He faltered and leaned heavily on his staff. 'What an evil fortune! And I am already weary.'
- J.R.R Tolkien, The Fellowship of the Ring
Adrian McNair
Padawan Learner

Post by Adrian McNair »

Balrog wrote:I only saw the first two seasons but heard all the wailing and gnashing of teeth about her suddenly being bi with no warning, followed by the SJW types responding with "heteronormative eyesight" or whatever. I've held off passing judgment to see who is actually right until I've seen the last seasons for myself.
Can I just say that I absolutely hate the term "social justice warrior"? Since when did the idea of social justice become an insult? Boundaries should be pushed and there should be more diverse representation in fiction beyond the WASP demographic. Fuck the conservatives who think otherwise.

Anyway, in regards to Korrasami I do believe that there was sufficient build-up to it. Especially when you consider how poorly some of the previous relationships in the Avatar franchise were handled. What seems to fly over the heads of the detractors of the pairing is that it was done in a more subtle way (I'm sure there are smartarses out there who would equate subtle with "non-existent"). They're so used to things being out in the open that they can't comprehend that there are multiple ways of approaching this. Nothing in the show stated outright that Korra was attracted solely to the opposite sex. The wailing and gnashing you've heard is sound and fury signifying nothing. And what are they even getting angry over? The start of a relationship between two people. Not the consummation of one but the start. You didn't see this much whining over Sokka/Yue or Makorra back in the day and those could easily be categorised as token romances (in fact we've got people who still favour the trainwreck that is Makorra even now). It's a clear double-standard. If that's not homophobia/bi-erasure then I don't know what is.

I think that this is an important milestone that should be celebrated. But no, since we live in a world where sexual-orientation is still a big deal rather than the routine thing that it should be, there's backlash.
Guardsman Bass
Cowardly Codfish

Post by Guardsman Bass »

I thought the build-up for it was pretty noticeable in Season 4, so it was cool when it happened. I'm curious about the comics, too - we've never got any indication of how homosexuality is considered in the Avatarverse.
“It is possible to commit no mistakes and still lose. That is not a weakness. That is life.”
-Jean-Luc Picard

"Men are afraid that women will laugh at them. Women are afraid that men will kill them."
-Margaret Atwood
Balrog
Jedi Council Member

Post by Balrog »

Adrian McNair wrote:
Balrog wrote:I only saw the first two seasons but heard all the wailing and gnashing of teeth about her suddenly being bi with no warning, followed by the SJW types responding with "heteronormative eyesight" or whatever. I've held off passing judgment to see who is actually right until I've seen the last seasons for myself.
Can I just say that I absolutely hate the term "social justice warrior"? Since when did the idea of social justice become an insult? Boundaries should be pushed and there should be more diverse representation in fiction beyond the WASP demographic. Fuck the conservatives who think otherwise.
There's a difference between actually pushing for social justice, in a mature, moderate and reasonable manner, and screaming at people through a computer screen because using definitions from the dictionary is oppressive colonialism. In my experience the latter are a mixture of people not yet wise enough comprehend the deeper meaning of words and ideas they just learned, far-out extremists who simply hate normal cishit people, and those cynically using this culture to win arguments and followers. Social Justice Warrior is as apt a description for these people as Weekend Warrior is for those who go camping in the woods with army surplus hand-me-downs and call each other by imaginary ranks in preparation for the coming Black Helicopters.

That's why I've held off personal judgment on the matter, because I can just as easily see someone trying to cover up an insufficient build-up to a romantic relationship or cynically tacking on a contemporaneously attention-grabbing issue using such arguments as it's possible for someone to honestly miss the signs which ought to be obvious.
You didn't see this much whining over Sokka/Yue or Makorra back in the day and those could easily be categorised as token romances (in fact we've got people who still favour the trainwreck that is Makorra even now).
Just from personal experience and bias that seems like a very likely argument for why exactly it became so heated, rather than blaming it all on bi-erasure. Because if there's anything which qualifies as the most rabid culture in fiction it's fucking shipping, and these people will latch onto the least little (non)sign as proof of their beliefs.
Gimli stared with wide eyes. 'Durin's Bane!' he cried, and letting his axe fall he covered his face.
'A Balrog,' muttered Gandalf. 'Now I understand.' He faltered and leaned heavily on his staff. 'What an evil fortune! And I am already weary.'
Adrian McNair
Padawan Learner

Post by Adrian McNair »

Balrog wrote: There's a difference between actually pushing for social justice, in a mature, moderate and reasonable manner, and screaming at people through a computer screen because using definitions from the dictionary is oppressive colonialism. In my experience the latter are a mixture of people not yet wise enough comprehend the deeper meaning of words and ideas they just learned, far-out extremists who simply hate normal cishit people, and those cynically using this culture to win arguments and followers. Social Justice Warrior is as apt a description for these people as Weekend Warrior is for those who go camping in the woods with army surplus hand-me-downs and call each other by imaginary ranks in preparation for the coming Black Helicopters.
Well, the Internet is a vast environment that attracts all manner of colourful characters. All manner of shut-ins and oddballs who are full of more hot-air than sense flock to it. They don't bother me nearly a tenth as much as the hateful fuckwits on places like Free Republic (not that I've ever been to that forum. I'm just basing my opinion on Something Awful forum's commentary thread which quotes posts from there). It comes down to the fact that I think that conservative extremists are much, much worse than liberal ones. You seem to have been immersed in this more than I have so perhaps you can provide a counter-point but I'm not convinced as of yet.
That's why I've held off personal judgment on the matter, because I can just as easily see someone trying to cover up an insufficient build-up to a romantic relationship or cynically tacking on a contemporaneously attention-grabbing issue using such arguments as it's possible for someone to honestly miss the signs which ought to be obvious.
In my opinion it's the latter that's the case rather than the former. Since you're aware of the outcome, if you ever choose to continue watching you'll be going in with the benefit of hindsight. You'll be able to pick up on things that first-time viewers missed. And why'd you stop watching, anyway? Was it because of Book Two? That was quite the uneven dud, wasn't it? If that's the case you should know that Books Three and Four are vast improvements. Check them out!
Just from personal experience and bias that seems like a very likely argument for why exactly it became so heated, rather than blaming it all on bi-erasure.

Oh there are undoubtedly people out there who go overboard when it comes to shipping. They either want to live vicariously through the couple or they've become overly emotionally attached to a poorly-formed romance. Bitterness over Makorra being discarded may be one of the factors but it doesn't provide the full picture. There are people who sincerely hate the pairing on the grounds of it being a same-sex relationship despite it being portrayed in a rather chaste fashion. Others think that it "undercuts" Korra's characterisation and would prefer the she remain alone at the end. Then there are those who claim that it's "pandering" and don't even bother to explain themselves (you know who you are).

It just baffles me that people would be so vehemently opposed to something that is harmless. And yet some are so cynical and petty that they just can't accept it and move on.
Because if there's anything which qualifies as the most rabid culture in fiction it's fucking shipping, and these people will latch onto the least little (non)sign as proof of their beliefs.
That might be true elsewhere but I don't feel that Korrasami belongs in this category, however. In my mind there's enough of a foundation to make this work. Some have said that Korra suddenly became friends with Asami out of nowhere in Book Three after their initial rivalry but I think that's bullshit. Asami had the opportunity to betray her friends back in Book One but she didn't take it. She chose the Avatar over her father and his cause. She still stuck with Team Avatar through thick and thin even after Mako vaguely dumped her and she would have been justified in walking away. Throughout it all she remained a decent and loyal person. Why wouldn't Korra pick up on that and reciprocate? It's not much of a stretch to assume that something could develop out of that. But some people need loud-speakers and flashing neon signs it seems.
Balrog
Jedi Council Member

Post by Balrog »

Adrian McNair wrote:
Balrog wrote: There's a difference between actually pushing for social justice, in a mature, moderate and reasonable manner, and screaming at people through a computer screen because using definitions from the dictionary is oppressive colonialism. In my experience the latter are a mixture of people not yet wise enough comprehend the deeper meaning of words and ideas they just learned, far-out extremists who simply hate normal cishit people, and those cynically using this culture to win arguments and followers. Social Justice Warrior is as apt a description for these people as Weekend Warrior is for those who go camping in the woods with army surplus hand-me-downs and call each other by imaginary ranks in preparation for the coming Black Helicopters.
Well, the Internet is a vast environment that attracts all manner of colourful characters. All manner of shut-ins and oddballs who are full of more hot-air than sense flock to it. They don't bother me nearly a tenth as much as the hateful fuckwits on places like Free Republic (not that I've ever been to that forum. I'm just basing my opinion on Something Awful forum's commentary thread which quotes posts from there). It comes down to the fact that I think that conservative extremists are much, much worse than liberal ones. You seem to have been immersed in this more than I have so perhaps you can provide a counter-point but I'm not convinced as of yet.
If you haven't I could recommend googling Tumblrinaction, if even a tenth of those examples are real and not simply trolling then that wing of the spectrum is every bit as worse as the conservative ones, but then that's just an easy example. The difference unfortunately is that the conservative wingbats are more numerous and have more actual power in America, so their fucking lunacy is more easily spotlighted.
In my opinion it's the latter that's the case rather than the former. Since you're aware of the outcome, if you ever choose to continue watching you'll be going in with the benefit of hindsight. You'll be able to pick up on things that first-time viewers missed. And why'd you stop watching, anyway? Was it because of Book Two? That was quite the uneven dud, wasn't it? If that's the case you should know that Books Three and Four are vast improvements. Check them out!
Life happened, but then if I'm going into the last two seasons specifically looking for signs of their relationship it could be I'm falling into the same trap which ensnares shippers.
Just from personal experience and bias that seems like a very likely argument for why exactly it became so heated, rather than blaming it all on bi-erasure.

Oh there are undoubtedly people out there who go overboard when it comes to shipping. They either want to live vicariously through the couple or they've become overly emotionally attached to a poorly-formed romance. Bitterness over Makorra being discarded may be one of the factors but it doesn't provide the full picture. There are people who sincerely hate the pairing on the grounds of it being a same-sex relationship despite it being portrayed in a rather chaste fashion. Others think that it "undercuts" Korra's characterisation and would prefer the she remain alone at the end. Then there are those who claim that it's "pandering" and don't even bother to explain themselves (you know who you are).
Most of the objection I've seen hasn't been the fact that specifically it was same-sex beyond a few but that it hadn't been built up sufficiently, but then I haven't investigated it too deep. As far as pandering I should think that would be self-evident as attempting to cash in on a very public issue.
Because if there's anything which qualifies as the most rabid culture in fiction it's fucking shipping, and these people will latch onto the least little (non)sign as proof of their beliefs.
That might be true elsewhere but I don't feel that Korrasami belongs in this category, however. In my mind there's enough of a foundation to make this work. Some have said that Korra suddenly became friends with Asami out of nowhere in Book Three after their initial rivalry but I think that's bullshit. Asami had the opportunity to betray her friends back in Book One but she didn't take it. She chose the Avatar over her father and his cause. She still stuck with Team Avatar through thick and thin even after Mako vaguely dumped her and she would have been justified in walking away. Throughout it all she remained a decent and loyal person. Why wouldn't Korra pick up on that and reciprocate? It's not much of a stretch to assume that something could develop out of that. But some people need loud-speakers and flashing neon signs it seems.
All the same, if I manage it I'll get around to seeing the last two seasons and judging for myself.
Adrian McNair
Padawan Learner

Post by Adrian McNair »

Balrog wrote: If you haven't I could recommend googling Tumblrinaction, if even a tenth of those examples are real and not simply trolling then that wing of the spectrum is every bit as worse as the conservative ones, but then that's just an easy example. The difference unfortunately is that the conservative wingbats are more numerous and have more actual power in America, so their fucking lunacy is more easily spotlighted.
Perhaps I'll do that. You know they could just be trolling morons rather than people with conviction. It's the anonymity effect on the Internet. And the key difference, the reason why the conservative nutjobs are worse, is right there in your post. They have power. When they stop being the force in American politics that they currently are is when I might consider them and these supposedly liberal goofballs to be similar.
Life happened, but then if I'm going into the last two seasons specifically looking for signs of their relationship it could be I'm falling into the same trap which ensnares shippers.
I'm not saying that you should constantly be on the look-out for clues. Only that, in the process of watching, you may or may not notice things. Why would you consider it to be a trap? Are you afraid that you'll become a foaming at the mouth lunatic for accepting it? I don't understand your reluctance.

When I was viewing the fourth season for the first time I hoped that this would be the outcome but I never expected them to actually follow-through on it. I wish they'd built it up even further and given it a proper pay-off but I know that they had to work around Nickelodeon's standards and practices. It was just a nice bonus at the end of day.
Most of the objection I've seen hasn't been the fact that specifically it was same-sex beyond a few but that it hadn't been built up sufficiently, but then I haven't investigated it too deep. As far as pandering I should think that would be self-evident as attempting to cash in on a very public issue.
Perhaps you haven't. And the "pandering" argument is total garbage (notice how a certain someone who shit-posted in this thread hasn't even made the attempt to justify themselves?). It's ludicrous that in a fantasy setting with magical kung-fu and steampunk technology that this is a bridge too far. Why does it have to be a "cash-in"? Why can't it just be a relationship between two people? How the hell do you even satisfy these critics? They'll consider any attempts at diversity to be "pandering." If we go by their logic it should never have even been done in the first place. No, sometimes it's necessary to go through the mountain rather than over it. Let the whiners fume impotently. Representation is what matters most.
All the same, if I manage it I'll get around to seeing the last two seasons and judging for myself.
Feel free to let us know what you think of them overall once you've done so.
Balrog
Jedi Council Member

Post by Balrog »

Adrian McNair wrote:
Balrog wrote: If you haven't I could recommend googling Tumblrinaction, if even a tenth of those examples are real and not simply trolling then that wing of the spectrum is every bit as worse as the conservative ones, but then that's just an easy example. The difference unfortunately is that the conservative wingbats are more numerous and have more actual power in America, so their fucking lunacy is more easily spotlighted.
Perhaps I'll do that. You know they could just be trolling morons rather than people with conviction. It's the anonymity effect on the Internet. And the key difference, the reason why the conservative nutjobs are worse, is right there in your post. They have power. When they stop being the force in American politics that they currently are is when I might consider them and these supposedly liberal goofballs to be similar.
Too many of them are by actual people who believe these actual things, you can find them independently but the subreddit just groups them all into a easy to find place. And that type of thinking of power being the only difference which matters is used by the same people who claim racism isn't racism unless it's institutional. Hate is hate and crazy is crazy, doesn't matter if you're tied up in a straight jacket or wearing a dinner jacket to a fundraising event.
I'm not saying that you should constantly be on the look-out for clues. Only that, in the process of watching, you may or may not notice things. Why would you consider it to be a trap? Are you afraid that you'll become a foaming at the mouth lunatic for accepting it? I don't understand your reluctance.

When I was viewing the fourth season for the first time I hoped that this would be the outcome but I never expected them to actually follow-through on it. I wish they'd built it up even further and given it a proper pay-off but I know that they had to work around Nickelodeon's standards and practices. It was just a nice bonus at the end of day.
The trap of confirmation bias. Something which in truth may simply be unobtrusive can be interpreted to support a viewpoint if you're specifically looking for it. You yourself say in this post you were hoping for this outcome, how much may that have colored how you saw events unfold.
Perhaps you haven't. And the "pandering" argument is total garbage (notice how a certain someone who shit-posted in this thread hasn't even made the attempt to justify themselves?). It's ludicrous that in a fantasy setting with magical kung-fu and steampunk technology that this is a bridge too far. Why does it have to be a "cash-in"? Why can't it just be a relationship between two people? How the hell do you even satisfy these critics? They'll consider any attempts at diversity to be "pandering." If we go by their logic it should never have even been done in the first place. No, sometimes it's necessary to go through the mountain rather than over it. Let the whiners fume impotently. Representation is what matters most.
It's not ludicrous that a same-sex relationship can develop in a steampunk fantasy world, but if people feel that the relationship was more arbitrary than organic the idea that it was made to happen for cynical purposes is not unfounded. Consider the classic token black guy in a piece of fiction.
Guardsman Bass
Cowardly Codfish

Post by Guardsman Bass »

It's hard to describe this to someone who hasn't watched the fourth season, but it's not arbitrary at all - we get plenty of scenes where we see Korra and Asami becoming more intimate emotionally and personally. I remember thinking in particular that there might be something to the Korrasami Theory in a scene where Korra and Asami are at a table, and Mako walks up, starts talking to them, and says something like "What's with you two?". There was just a really strong feeling of Korra and Asami being inside of a circle together with Mako on the outside looking in in that scene.
“It is possible to commit no mistakes and still lose. That is not a weakness. That is life.”
-Jean-Luc Picard

"Men are afraid that women will laugh at them. Women are afraid that men will kill them."
-Margaret Atwood
Adrian McNair
Padawan Learner

Post by Adrian McNair »

Balrog wrote: Too many of them are by actual people who believe these actual things, you can find them independently but the subreddit just groups them all into a easy to find place. And that type of thinking of power being the only difference which matters is used by the same people who claim racism isn't racism unless it's institutional. Hate is hate and crazy is crazy, doesn't matter if you're tied up in a straight jacket or wearing a dinner jacket to a fundraising event.
And yet all I have to go on with that is your word. The burden of proof is on you not me. You're the one who brought it up. Cite some examples.

I find it mystifying that you can compare a pack of impotent cranks on the Internet to people in politics with the potential to get into the White House. That's just surreal to me. One group says stupid shit and the other can, if given the opportunity, invade sovereign nations. One group issues, at worst, empty death threats and the other can kill people on the flimsiest of pretenses (and has done so in the past). Which do you think is worse? It should be obvious but you think they're comparable because they're equally hate-filled? Come the fuck on. It's a question of scale and means. The existence of both, while problematic, doesn't matter nearly as much as the amount of damage that they can do.
The trap of confirmation bias. Something which in truth may simply be unobtrusive can be interpreted to support a viewpoint if you're specifically looking for it. You yourself say in this post you were hoping for this outcome, how much may that have colored how you saw events unfold.
And you're no longer an individual capable of independent thought who can form his own opinions? Are you really that malleable and easily influenced? You are allowed to have your own thoughts and perceptions last I checked. Are you worried that you won't be able to remain neutral or what? What's the problem?

I hoped that it would occur because, out of all of the members of Team Avatar/The Krew, Korra had the best chemistry with Asami. If it didn't happen it would be disappointing but it wouldn't be earth-shattering. My first priority was enjoying the show. And while it was uneven at times I did get that kind of experience out of it.
It's not ludicrous that a same-sex relationship can develop in a steampunk fantasy world, but if people feel that the relationship was more arbitrary than organic the idea that it was made to happen for cynical purposes is not unfounded. Consider the classic token black guy in a piece of fiction.
Except that it isn't arbitrary in the slightest or an example of tokenism. I could elaborate on it further but I'd rather not get into spoilers. Guardsman Bass already made my point for me anyway. Stop playing devil's advocate and get informed on the subject. Watch the show.
Joun_Lord
Jedi Master

Post by Joun_Lord »

Guardsman Bass wrote:It's hard to describe this to someone who hasn't watched the fourth season, but it's not arbitrary at all - we get plenty of scenes where we see Korra and Asami becoming more intimate emotionally and personally. I remember thinking in particular that there might be something to the Korrasami Theory in a scene where Korra and Asami are at a table, and Mako walks up, starts talking to them, and says something like "What's with you two?". There was just a really strong feeling of Korra and Asami being inside of a circle together with Mako on the outside looking in in that scene.
I haven't seen the show (I haven't even seen all of regular Avatar, just bits and pieces) but from my understanding through nerd osmosis both ladies had a relationship with the dude and the relationships ended not on the best of terms, love triangle or some shite. Of course they'd probably not be as close to their ex as they might be with each other considering adversity will create a bond.

Also how the relationship has been described it sounds like the chickas could have just been really good friends. Women are far more likely to be intimate with their friends then tough and strong menly men are. There would be no real difference between a girl friend and a girlfriend for some women if they aren't shoving their tongues down each others throats. Even the handholding the series ended with that made thousands of shippers cry out in RAGE could be just close friends. Unlike guys, girls will hold hands with their friends. Strange that is considered taboo for guys but homo-erotic rasslin' and smacking each others behinds is okay.

Its not exactly uncommon, especially with assholes, to ASSume close friends are more then that. Two guys spend alot of time together and don't have girlfriends, we'll clearly they are gay. Or if two girls like each other, hang out alot, aren't decorating the arm of a big strong man, then of course they are both a massive wall used to hold back water. Really shitty that its implied to be something wrong to be gay and really something fucked up that two people can't be close without fucking.

Now most likely the two women in Avatar are together all you know....with the petting of the cats if you get my meaning......because they are probably not dog people but its also likely they could just be friends. Its a childrens show so they can't really show the most obvious indicators that they are together, the previously mentioned tongues down throats.

I suppose thats a good things aboot these funny pages books is they should clear up any confusion. Or the writers will continue to string along the shippers because everybody stops giving a shit if characters are confirmed in a relationship.
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

The there's different cultural standards to consider too.
I may be an idiot, but I'm a tolerated idiot
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Oh wait, that's marijuana..."Einhander Sn0m4n
Adrian McNair
Padawan Learner

Post by Adrian McNair »

Joun_Lord wrote: I haven't seen the show (I haven't even seen all of regular Avatar, just bits and pieces) but from my understanding through nerd osmosis both ladies had a relationship with the dude and the relationships ended not on the best of terms, love triangle or some shite.

*SNIP*
Why do people insist on having an opinion on a subject regardless of how informed they are?

But let me address the rest of your post (and no I wouldn't have had any issues with this pairing if Korra and Asami had been male). Let's entertain your notion that things are still ambiguous. You can read about what good friends they are here and here.

Look at how platonic they're being in this official piece of art -

The comic books don't need to "clear up any confusion." We've got at least two pieces of clarification. Now there should be expansion (though you do raise the legitimate possibility of them stringing us along). There's no need to have a pointless and futile debate/argument that leaves everyone involved more annoyed and angrier than when they started. But this is the Internet. It's going to happen.
Joun_Lord
Jedi Master

Post by Joun_Lord »

Adrian McNair wrote:
Joun_Lord wrote: I haven't seen the show (I haven't even seen all of regular Avatar, just bits and pieces) but from my understanding through nerd osmosis both ladies had a relationship with the dude and the relationships ended not on the best of terms, love triangle or some shite.

*SNIP*
Why do people insist on having an opinion on a subject regardless of how informed they are?
Because this is the internet and thats kinda our thing here.

And I really don't have an opinion, merely putting forth a theory as to why people might not see the two women as a couple. I don't have a dog in the fight so I can look at the situation objectively without shipping characters as fans of the show might do. People watching the show will get attached to the characters and start pairing them off and will start looking for signs to back up their fanon. Two characters holding hands or hugging or even just being friendly will play into the confirmation bias people have surrounding the characters

I don't doubt now they are a couple (we have word of god from the writers according to the links you posted) but still just going by the show alone it might seem pretty darn ambiguous. Even the pic you posted could just show them be close friends. Girls hug without wanting to get into each others pants. Fans are going to twist evidence every which way to fit their slash fic fantasies. If you are a Korra/Asami shipper them hugging and holding hands is a confirmation they want to shag baby yeah. For others it might seem to them they are just really good friends.

For Avatar I'm sure some people saw Aang and Zuko as having a thing or Katara and Sokka or Azula and Katara or Toph and Katara and so on. Hell some people, some sick, sick people with far too much time on their hands....well maybe hand, wanting a Momo and Appa pairing saw them being friends as fact they wanted to fuck. Some little spider monkey thing and some giant flying bison thing. Yeah. And thats probably not even the weirdest Avatar pairing on the internet. I dare not tread out into those dark and murky waters to find out.

If you want a pairing, you are going to see evidence of that pairing.
Sgt_Artyom
Youngling

Post by Sgt_Artyom »

This little scene right here was kind of the most straight forward I thought they were in leading up to some kind of relationship. It's not much really but as tweens-teen show, what could they do really that wouldn't set people off?
Spoiler
Part 1:Image

Part:2 Image
Adrian McNair
Padawan Learner

Post by Adrian McNair »

Joun_Lord wrote: *SNIP*
Except that the theory you're putting forward isn't new or unique and it's been flatly contradicted. At the time when the series finale aired some people were posting the exact same thing and they had the benefit of actually watching it. I could half-way understand if you'd said this to me back then but this was before the creators had clarified things. Authorial intent was still an unknown at that juncture but that's no longer the case. What's your excuse? You acknowledge what the creators have said but you still lump it into the same category as all of the other strange or crazy non-canon pairings. It might have been open to interpretation once but not anymore. Yes, girls can be close friends but they can also fall in love with one another as well (as it is since the ladies in question here are bisexual). It's not that much of a stretch.

You claim to be objective but your posts still seem to be skewed against the idea of it. That's the problem when you find out about something via second-hand sources or through "nerd osmosis." You fall prey to misconceptions. You really should watch the series and make your own judgements. There are far worse things you could do with your free time.
Sgt_Artyom wrote:This little scene right here was kind of the most straight forward I thought they were in leading up to some kind of relationship. It's not much really but as tweens-teen show, what could they do really that wouldn't set people off?
Yeah, that was the moment that really crystallised it for me.
Spoiler
Between that, Mako's reaction and the fact that they actually went to the trouble of making the hug between them more detailed for the recap segment in 4x09 (that was the first thing shown in that episode as well) was what cemented the idea that it was more than a just close friendship.
Joun_Lord
Jedi Master

Post by Joun_Lord »

Adrian McNair wrote:Except that the theory you're putting forward isn't new or unique and it's been flatly contradicted. At the time when the series finale aired some people were posting the exact same thing and they had the benefit of actually watching it. I could half-way understand if you'd said this to me back then but this was before the creators had clarified things. Authorial intent was still an unknown at that juncture but that's no longer the case. What's your excuse? You acknowledge what the creators have said but you still lump it into the same category as all of the other strange or crazy non-canon pairings. It might have been open to interpretation once but not anymore. Yes, girls can be close friends but they can also fall in love with one another as well (as it is since the ladies in question here are bisexual). It's not that much of a stretch.

You claim to be objective but your posts still seem to be skewed against the idea of it. That's the problem when you find out about something via second-hand sources or through "nerd osmosis." You fall prey to misconceptions. You really should watch the series and make your own judgements. There are far worse things you could do with your free time.
The theory has been contradicted by a couple tumblr posts, nothing on screen canon. The creators clarified things on some hive of scum and villainy on the internet. Most people aren't going to know this because most sane people stay far, far, FAR away from the tumblr so they just have the tv series to go on whether or not Korra and Asami are banging. It would be like the Star Trek Voyager relationship of Seven and Commander Chocolateday, which like the Korra nd Asami relationship had some minor build up but nothing concrete, instead of them showing them hooking up on the series finale the creators instead just say they did on some AOL message board after the series ended. There would be some doubt and there would be a whole hell of alot of people who wouldn't even know about it.

I lumped the "Korrsami" relationship in with all the other outlandish relationships (and the not so outlandish relationships) because they were relations fans wanted to create, wanted to ship, stuck those sails on and sent them out into the sunset. Any of them could have been valid, well okay maybe not the Sokka and Katara unless the southern water tribe is the Avatar world's Alabama, but could have been just as invalid and remain so until we see somebody PG snogging on screen or in this case the authors saying they'll bang, okay.

Also like I said, not against it, don't really have an opinion, not skewed against it, just stating WHY SOME PEOPLE WHO ARE NOT ME might not think Korra and Asami are together. They might see all the hands holding and junk as two good friends. They might see the people saying they are an item as just another set of shippers who just want them to be an item so will see evidence of them being an item. They aren't going to be fucking aboot on tumblr (because they value their sanity) and seeing some blog post by the authors (I'm assuming they are anyway but thats another thing, you never can be sure on the internet where most of the women are fat dudes in basements, nigerian scammers, bots, or the FBI if they are underage and everyone lies, like me, don't tell anyone but I'm actually Gary Busey) so as far as they know Korra and Asami are possibly just close friends, maybe more but nothing confirmed on the show.

And I intend to watch the show eventually I just gotta get around to it. Like I said, I haven't even watch all of the original series. I'm very busy doing Gary Busey things and I kinda just lost interest about halfway through TLAB.
Adrian McNair
Padawan Learner

Post by Adrian McNair »

I don't typically explore tumblr myself. I found out about this development via io9.com, a prominent sci-fi/fantasy blog rather than the boondocks of the Internet where you seem to be going (it was confirmed via multiple other sources including Vanity Fair, The Mary Sue and IGN.com). Here's another.
Joun_Lord wrote: The theory has been contradicted by a couple tumblr posts, nothing on screen canon.

And I intend to watch the show eventually I just gotta get around to it. Like I said, I haven't even watch all of the original series. I'm very busy doing Gary Busey things and I kinda just lost interest about halfway through TLAB.
One of these is not like the other. Why do you keep doing this? I've actually seen the series in its entirety and you haven't yet this argument is still taking place. You aren't in a position to determine what is and isn't "on-screen" canon. And they're not merely "tumblr posts." They're from the official blogs of the creators. Did you even bother to read them? Let me guess, even after doing so you'll still claim that they're false. Even though the creators never released follow-up statements claiming that their blogs were hacked or that Korrasami is not in fact canon.
It would be like the Star Trek Voyager relationship of Seven and Commander Chocolateday, which like the Korra nd Asami relationship had some minor build up but nothing concrete, instead of them showing them hooking up on the series finale the creators instead just say they did on some AOL message board after the series ended. There would be some doubt and there would be a whole hell of alot of people who wouldn't even know about it.
You call two seasons of a series "minor"? Now I know that you have no idea of what you're talking about. And no, if that comparison was even remotely valid then Chakotay and Seven would have started having feelings for each other in Season 6 of Voyager rather than the last few episodes of Season 7. The relationship between Korra and Asami is nothing like that. They were given a ludicrously generous amount of build-up. Even then the series ended with the beginning of something rather than the traditional kiss.

How is it that you trust random goons on the Internet more than official statements from the creators of the series? Going by your logic those sources of yours shouldn't be trusted because they might in fact be "fat dudes in basements, nigerian scammers, bots, or the FBI". You want to remain neutral but in the process you keep jumping to the wrong conclusions. You're being arbitrarily skeptical with a mild dash of paranoia (thanks for riding that crazy train to the Nth degree, Mr. Busey! Your antics are most entertaining).

And here's the official promo art for the comic book continuation written by one of the creators (who, since this is Bizarro World according to Joun_Lord, is full of shit). They could have gone with literally anything else (like a Drew Struzan inspired team shot with a supervillain looming large in the background) but they instead chose to make this the headline image. Why make that the focus if they're just friends? That's clearly a shot of a couple returning from a vacation:

Maybe, just maybe it's time to admit that the sources you've been following are wrong. But go ahead, keep spouting this nonsense about there being nothing concrete. It seems that every time I provide evidence to the contrary you continue to bury your head in the sand. Still wish to claim that you're being "objective"? You could have fooled me, Mr. Busey.

Seriously, this is old news. You're coming across as an ignorant stick in the mud. Get with the times already.
Sgt_Artyom
Youngling

Post by Sgt_Artyom »

I don't think you quite understand what Joun is going on about. He's stated several times now that the opinions above are not his and that being ill-informed (not actually having seen the damn show) he has no way to form an opinion of his own and just seems to be throwing out some idea's from others to offer a differing viewpoint. While the know the viewpoint isn't true, that doesn't mean that he can't offer it up to us (even if it isn't his).

I personally quite enjoy hearing the weird theories that people came up with to explain the ending because they just couldn't wrap their heads around the fact that two women COULD in fact fall in love with each other. Long story short, I agree with you and Joun has no opinion on the subject so please settle down or stop directing your diatribe against him.
Sgt_Artyom
Youngling

Post by Sgt_Artyom »

Adrian McNair wrote: And here's the official promo art for the comic book continuation written by one of the creators (who, since this is Bizarro World according to Joun_Lord, is full of shit). They could have gone with literally anything else (like a Drew Struzan inspired team shot with a supervillain looming large in the background) but they instead chose to make this the headline image. Why make that the focus if they're just friends? That's clearly a shot of a couple returning from a vacation:

Maybe, just maybe it's time to admit that the sources you've been following are wrong. But go ahead, keep spouting this nonsense about there being nothing concrete. It seems that every time I provide evidence to the contrary you continue to bury your head in the sand. Still wish to claim that you're being "objective"? You could have fooled me, Mr. Busey.

Seriously, this is old news. You're coming across as an ignorant stick in the mud. Get with the times already.
I agree with you on the picture and how they do appear to be a couple or at the very least quite close. The problem some people are going to have is that it's all about ones own perception. Whilst I see the image and say "Yeah, that's a lovey, dovey looking couple" others might not agree. How? I'm not entirely sure but I've quite often seen pictures of people embracing in ways that I'd say is kinda weird but my first thought isn't that their a couple. You've never thrown your arm over someones shoulder before? If you did or saw someone doing it would you assume they're a couple? I wouldn't in most cases but that's because I'm entirely lacking in any kind of context or any other knowledge as to the relationship between the people.

I know what went down in season 3 and season 4 and can look at this picture and know whats going on, whilst some might not because they've got no other knowledge or context on which to base their decision. Also can't forget that people will just see what they want to see. Hate the gays? The first thought in your head about it most likely isn't going to be that they're a couple whilst others would be far more open or accepting of such a relationship or their openness to one in general would greatly aid them in forming an opinion that closer matches the limited information we're given by the photo.
Adrian McNair
Padawan Learner

Post by Adrian McNair »

Sgt_Artyom wrote:I don't think you quite understand what Joun is going on about. He's stated several times now that the opinions above are not his and that being ill-informed (not actually having seen the damn show) he has no way to form an opinion of his own and just seems to be throwing out some idea's from others to offer a differing viewpoint. While the know the viewpoint isn't true, that doesn't mean that he can't offer it up to us (even if it isn't his).
What exactly am I failing to comprehend here, hmm? If he has no stake in the matter then why is he even bothering to participate and continue to reply to me? Why would he give this much of a shit? I've repeatedly provided evidence that debunks the bullcrap that he's relaying yet he continues regardless (even dismissing the official commentary on the matter). "He's throwing out some ideas to offer a differing viewpoint"? That still amounts to providing an opinion regardless of what his feelings are on the issue! I'm beginning to suspect that he may be trolling. This is so pointless and futile. It's going to be rendered even more irrelevant once the comics arrive.
Long story short, I agree with you and Joun has no opinion on the subject so please settle down or stop directing your diatribe against him.
Excuse me? Who the hell asked you to intervene on his behalf? I'm pretty sure he doesn't need you to fight his battles for him. And you claim to agree with me (in the most backhanded way possible)? Don't make me laugh. Did you suddenly ascend to the position of moderator when I wasn't looking? No? Then take your meaningless requests elsewhere, "friend".
I agree with you on the picture and how they do appear to be a couple or at the very least quite close. The problem some people are going to have is that it's all about ones own perception. Whilst I see the image and say "Yeah, that's a lovey, dovey looking couple" others might not agree. How? I'm not entirely sure but I've quite often seen pictures of people embracing in ways that I'd say is kinda weird but my first thought isn't that their a couple. You've never thrown your arm over someones shoulder before? If you did or saw someone doing it would you assume they're a couple? I wouldn't in most cases but that's because I'm entirely lacking in any kind of context or any other knowledge as to the relationship between the people.

I know what went down in season 3 and season 4 and can look at this picture and know whats going on, whilst some might not because they've got no other knowledge or context on which to base their decision. Also can't forget that people will just see what they want to see. Hate the gays? The first thought in your head about it most likely isn't going to be that they're a couple whilst others would be far more open or accepting of such a relationship or their openness to one in general would greatly aid them in forming an opinion that closer matches the limited information we're given by the photo.
Except there is no ambiguity here. We know the context and the authorial intent. This isn't an example of two strangers in the real world who may or may not have a platonic relationship. There's no longer any excuse for this bullshit fence-sitting or idiotic denials of the blindingly obvious. You might have the patience to stomach this garbage but I don't. It's happened. They need to deal with it and get over themselves already.
Joun_Lord
Jedi Master

Post by Joun_Lord »

Adrian McNair wrote:I don't typically explore tumblr myself. I found out about this development via io9.com, a prominent sci-fi/fantasy blog rather than the boondocks of the Internet where you seem to be going (it was confirmed via multiple other sources including Vanity Fair, The Mary Sue and IGN.com). Here's another.
If you had found it from more reputable sources then Tumblr, where literally anyone can create any blog and say they are anyone (or do you think the John Henry Eden tumblr is really made by some ZAX supercomputer?) why didn't you post them in the first place.

One of these is not like the other. Why do you keep doing this? I've actually seen the series in its entirety and you haven't yet this argument is still taking place. You aren't in a position to determine what is and isn't "on-screen" canon. And they're not merely "tumblr posts." They're from the official blogs of the creators. Did you even bother to read them? Let me guess, even after doing so you'll still claim that they're false. Even though the creators never released follow-up statements claiming that their blogs were hacked or that Korrasami is not in fact canon

And I can determine whats canon by doing a bit of research, google does exist, but thankfully I never said the Korra and Asami relationship wasn't canon nor did I ever say the tumblr blogs weren't really from the creators. From what is on screen, from the pictures you posted and others did, SOME PEOPLE WHO ARE NOT ME might think the relationship does not exist, they are merely friends, and SOME PEOPLE WHO ARE NOT ME might think some random blogs who say they are the creators might not be the creators and SOME PEOPLE WHO ARE NOT ME ATLEAST BEFORE YOU POSTED THE LINKS might not even know about some rando news report or blog post with the creators confirming Korra and Asami are actually an item.
You call two seasons of a series "minor"? Now I know that you have no idea of what you're talking about. And no, if that comparison was even remotely valid then Chakotay and Seven would have started having feelings for each other in Season 6 of Voyager rather than the last few episodes of Season 7. The relationship between Korra and Asami is nothing like that. They were given a ludicrously generous amount of build-up. Even then the series ended with the beginning of something rather than the traditional kiss.
Two seasons of two people being friendly but no more then close friends, two seasons of two people not saying they are dating, two seasons of no kissing or anything beyond two people being extra friendly ending with two people holding hands. Two people that were holding hands that the creators of the show had to clarify after the fact that yes they are dating.
How is it that you trust random goons on the Internet more than official statements from the creators of the series? Going by your logic those sources of yours shouldn't be trusted because they might in fact be "fat dudes in basements, nigerian scammers, bots, or the FBI". You want to remain neutral but in the process you keep jumping to the wrong conclusions. You're being arbitrarily skeptical with a mild dash of paranoia (thanks for riding that crazy train to the Nth degree, Mr. Busey! Your antics are most entertaining).

I think you are being willfully ignorant and if not they are you are just a fucking moron. I DON'T THINK THE TUMBLR POSTS ARE FAKES BUT SOME PEOPLE WHO ARE NOT ME MIGHT THINK THEY ARE.

Need I write this in crayon for you to understand this?

The internet lies. People are skeptics. People NOT ME not wanting a Korra/Asami relationship for whatever reason might be skeptical of some after the fucking fact blog post on the internet saying the two are together.
And here's the official promo art for the comic book continuation written by one of the creators (who, since this is Bizarro World according to Joun_Lord, is full of shit). They could have gone with literally anything else (like a Drew Struzan inspired team shot with a supervillain looming large in the background) but they instead chose to make this the headline image. Why make that the focus if they're just friends? That's clearly a shot of a couple returning from a vacation:

Judging by the Dark Horse logo that is from the comic book. Made after the series ended. Which is going to tell people who are going just by the series whether or not the Korra/Asami relationship exists jack fucking all you goddamn moron. Again I DON'T DOUBT THEY ARE TOGETHER, PEOPLE WHO JUST WATCHED THE SHOW MIGHT.

And it still looks like two friends. Even with guy friends one might throw an arm around one in a show of camaraderie

The sources I'm following is this thread, the other Korra thread, and wikipedia but none of that fucking matter considering I DON'T DOUBT THE RELATIONSHIP BUT OTHERS MIGHT CONSIDERING THE AVAILABLE EVIDENCE PRESENTED IN THE TV SHOW THAT WAS ON TV AND PROBABLY PHONES AND FRIDGES BECAUSE I THINK FRIDGES NOW HAVE COMPUTER SCREENS.
[/quote]

And you come across as someone who has even poorer reading comprehension then I, a woefully unedumacated Moutaineer American who is a product of the American education system, and cannot understand when someone is playing devils advocate. When someone doesn't believe the theory they are putting forth but is showing others might. As I've repeatedly said and I guess I'll say it again to make the point clear.

I DON'T DOUBT THE KORRSAMI PAIRING BUT OTHERS MIGHT FROM AVAILABLE ON SCREEN EVIDENCE