Elfstones of Shannara tv adaption

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

dragon
Sith Marauder

Elfstones of Shannara tv adaption

Post by dragon »

hum might be interesting however books to tv is such a hit and miss.

With San Diego Comic-Con set to kick off this week, MTV dropped its first image of upcoming TV adaptation of The Elfstones of Shannara just ahead of the show's first day.

Terry Brook's fantasy series is being produced by Jon Favreau, written by the folks behind Smallville and stars an array of pretty people.

MTV committed to the The Chronicles of Shannara, which is based on Terry Brooks' second book in the Shannara trilogy, back in 2013.

The Sword of Shannara, the first in the series, was published in 1977. The fantasy story takes place 2000 years after a nuclear holocaust. The holocaust led to the mutation of humanity into beings named after myths: trolls, gnomes and dwarves. The "great war" also led to the loss of technology, rediscovery of magic and reemergence of elves.

While the series has a massive following of fans, some critics have said the books are too similar to JRR Tolkien's Lord of the Rings, even accusing Brooks of lifting the characters and plots for his own tales.
link
"There are very few problems that cannot be solved by the suitable application of photon torpedoes
Tsyroc
Emperor's Hand

Re: Elfstones of Shannara tv adaption

Post by Tsyroc »

Out of the first three books I liked The Elfstones of Shannara the best. I also tend to agree with the critics somewhat that the books seem too much like Tolkien. The Sword of Shanara especially seemed like a re-written and better flowing version of The Lord of the Rings. Of course, this is based on my having read the first Shannara book and tLotR when I was in junior high, in the 1980s.
By the pricking of my thumb,
Something wicked this way comes.
Open, locks,
Whoever knocks.
mr friendly guy
The Doctor
Location: In a 1960s police telephone box somewhere in Australia

Post by mr friendly guy »

I remembered liking this book in high school back in the early 90s.

Hopefully they do the battle between Allanon and the Dagda Mor right (both of the battles, at Paranor and up in the sky when both are mounted on winged animals).

Hopefully there will be good chemistry between the actors who play Eretia, Amberle and Wil.
Never apologise for being a geek, because they won't apologise to you for being an arsehole. John Barrowman - 22 June 2014 Perth Supernova.

Countries I have been to - 14.
Australia, Canada, China, Colombia, Denmark, Ecuador, Finland, Germany, Malaysia, Netherlands, Norway, Singapore, Sweden, USA.
Always on the lookout for more nice places to visit.
Crown
NARF

Post by Crown »

Looks cheap and tacky ... yes I just made that judgement off a publicity still, I'm a twat like that.
Η ζωή, η ζωή εδω τελειώνει!
"Science is one cold-hearted bitch with a 14" strap-on" - Masuka 'Dexter'
"Angela is not the woman you think she is Gabriel, she's done terrible things"
"So have I, and I'm going to do them all to you." - Sylar to Arthur 'Heroes'
Tsyroc
Emperor's Hand

Post by Tsyroc »

Crown wrote:Looks cheap and tacky ... yes I just made that judgement off a publicity still, I'm a twat like that.
It does look a little bit like the second Dungeons and Dragons movie in that one still. :wink:
By the pricking of my thumb,
Something wicked this way comes.
Open, locks,
Whoever knocks.
dragon
Sith Marauder

Post by dragon »

Crown wrote:Looks cheap and tacky ... yes I just made that judgement off a publicity still, I'm a twat like that.

Looks no worse than stills from game of thrones and look how popular that is.
"There are very few problems that cannot be solved by the suitable application of photon torpedoes