Math of Iron Throne

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Re: Math of Iron Throne

Post by Solauren »

I don't see what the big deal is about the Iron Throne.

I always assumed there was something underneath all the swords to give it a form and strength, and the swords were carefully put in place. Either via placing + dragonfire, or heating them until hot, and then carefully putting them in place, or a combination of the two.

That would certainly explain all the 'sharp edges' still. You'd think that Dragonfire would make a sword dull from melting. So, why not layer the first 800+ on the throne (the book version) and have the dragon breath, then take the 200 best looking and tell your smiths : Okay, finish the job, or you're going to be on the throne when the dragon melts the rest.
I've been asked why I still follow a few of the people I know on Facebook with 'interesting political habits and view points'.

It's so when they comment on or approve of something, I know what pages to block/what not to vote for.
LaCroix
Sith Acolyte

Re: Math of Iron Throne

Post by LaCroix »

That's how I figured it had happened for the book throne.

1. King uses dragon to "kind of melt" a huge heap of swords and armor into a frothy blob of iron. (Like an iron bloom from a furnace).
2. King looks at it and says: "I like it, make me a throne of it."
3. ? ( = hundreds of craftsmen running all over the place for 90 days like someone kicked a blacksmith anthill, trying to make something out of it, using a thousand swords to cover it).
4. Iron throne

Transport was probably no issue with dragons around. They were huge and there were at least three (probably 5) of them around. They might even have been big enough to airlift it to Kings Landing.
A minute's thought suggests that the very idea of this is stupid. A more detailed examination raises the possibility that it might be an answer to the question "how could the Germans win the war after the US gets involved?" - Captain Seafort, in a thread proposing a 1942 'D-Day' in Quiberon Bay

I do archery skeet. With a Trebuchet.