Game of Thrones Season 6 casting news (spoilers)

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

Vympel
Spetsnaz
Spetsnaz

Game of Thrones Season 6 casting news (spoilers)

Post by Vympel »

Euron Greyjoy, Randyll Tarly, Dickon Tarly, others

Bring on the Northern lords, long overdue!
Legendary Fighter: A man in his thirties or forties who is a great swordsman and a paragon of knighthood. He carries a famous sword. The show is seeking a very impressive swordsman for the role- the best in Europe, for a week of filming fight scenes for a season 6 role. His ethnicity/race isn’t specified, unlike many other roles.
Highly likely to be Arthur Dayne or the current Sword of the Morning. "Paragon of Knighthood" excludes many candidates with 'famous swords'. Alternately, long shot - its an up-to-now unknown dude armed with Blackfyre.
Lord of Noble Northern House: (Casting age anywhere between 25-50) The lord is a savage warrior, and he rules a distinguished house in the very far North, and the role is said to be an impactful one. He’s described as a massive bear of a man with a beard and temper to match, and hatred that run deep, and he can be violent. The show’s looking for someone with a powerful physique who can tower over other cast members, a Northern English Accent and specifies he has to be at least 180 cm tall. The role will be on 2 episodes.
This has to be the head of House Umber. Its the only distinguished house in the far north. The fact that Clive Mantle is likely getting recast upsets me. Alternately, they went back on the Greatjon being alive and this is another Umber.

Long shot says its House Glover.
Lord of Northern Stronghold: The show’s looking for an actor in his late thirties or forties to play another lord, one that’s ruthless and calculating. The frightening lord rules a vassal household with a castle stronghold. He’ll be in 3 episodes this year, with 20 days of filming this summer and fall.
Not sure who this is. 'Vassal household' with a castle. Inconsistent with House Manderly of White Harbor.
Like Legend of Galactic Heroes? Please contribute to http://gineipaedia.com/
Pelranius
Sith Marauder

Re: Game of Thrones Season 6 casting news (spoilers)

Post by Pelranius »

Vympel wrote:Euron Greyjoy, Randyll Tarly, Dickon Tarly, others

Bring on the Northern lords, long overdue!
Legendary Fighter: A man in his thirties or forties who is a great swordsman and a paragon of knighthood. He carries a famous sword. The show is seeking a very impressive swordsman for the role- the best in Europe, for a week of filming fight scenes for a season 6 role. His ethnicity/race isn’t specified, unlike many other roles.
Highly likely to be Arthur Dayne or the current Sword of the Morning. "Paragon of Knighthood" excludes many candidates with 'famous swords'. Alternately, long shot - its an up-to-now unknown dude armed with Blackfyre.
Flashback to the Tower of Joy?
Lord of Noble Northern House: (Casting age anywhere between 25-50) The lord is a savage warrior, and he rules a distinguished house in the very far North, and the role is said to be an impactful one. He’s described as a massive bear of a man with a beard and temper to match, and hatred that run deep, and he can be violent. The show’s looking for someone with a powerful physique who can tower over other cast members, a Northern English Accent and specifies he has to be at least 180 cm tall. The role will be on 2 episodes.
This has to be the head of House Umber. Its the only distinguished house in the far north. The fact that Clive Mantle is likely getting recast upsets me. Alternately, they went back on the Greatjon being alive and this is another Umber.

Long shot says its House Glover.
The wide age range suggests that it could be either the Greatjon, or another Umber (rather unspecific).
Lord of Northern Stronghold: The show’s looking for an actor in his late thirties or forties to play another lord, one that’s ruthless and calculating. The frightening lord rules a vassal household with a castle stronghold. He’ll be in 3 episodes this year, with 20 days of filming this summer and fall.
Not sure who this is. 'Vassal household' with a castle. Inconsistent with House Manderly of White Harbor.
Arnolf Karstark?
Turns out that a five way cross over between It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia, the Ali G Show, Fargo, Idiocracy and Veep is a lot less funny when you're actually living in it.
Kingmaker
Jedi Knight

Post by Kingmaker »

The wide age range suggests that it could be either the Greatjon, or another Umber (rather unspecific).
Unless they're making someone up or de-aging the characters, it's unlikely to be one of the Greatjon's uncles, since both Mors and Hother Umber are fairly old. On the other hand, the mention of hatred and bears makes me think it might be Mors Umber.
Could be Arnolf Karstark, as Pelranius mentioned. It could also be a replacement for Barbrey Dustin, or it could be a composite of several Northern lords.
In the event that the content of the above post is factually or logically flawed, I was Trolling All Along.

"Essentially, all models are wrong, but some are useful." - George Box
Guardsman Bass
Cowardly Codfish

Post by Guardsman Bass »

1. That sounds like Ser Arthur Dayne, but the details are weird. If they really were doing a Tower of Joy flashback now, then wouldn't we be hearing stories about Sean Bean showing up for a guest bit in Season 6 for that? They could be casting him for flashbacks involving Young Jaime, but that wouldn't explain the "week of filming fight scenes". In fact, it doesn't even sound like they're looking with an actor in mind - they're asking for the best real-life swordsman they can get in Europe.

2. Definitely the Greatjon.

3. I'm thinking the Karstarks as well, maybe for some betrayal bit with the Boltons in Season 6.
“It is possible to commit no mistakes and still lose. That is not a weakness. That is life.”
-Jean-Luc Picard

"Men are afraid that women will laugh at them. Women are afraid that men will kill them."
-Margaret Atwood
Kingmaker
Jedi Knight

Post by Kingmaker »

I'm sort of curious as to what the impetus for an anti-Bolton rebellion is going to be in the show, since Stannis had already eaten shit, thus denying rebellious Northerners a rallying point. I wonder if the plan is for Sansa (who is, of course, totally fine after falling 100 feet into 3 inches of snow) to replace Stannis in that role.
In the event that the content of the above post is factually or logically flawed, I was Trolling All Along.

"Essentially, all models are wrong, but some are useful." - George Box
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Guardsman Bass wrote:1. That sounds like Ser Arthur Dayne, but the details are weird. If they really were doing a Tower of Joy flashback now, then wouldn't we be hearing stories about Sean Bean showing up for a guest bit in Season 6 for that? They could be casting him for flashbacks involving Young Jaime, but that wouldn't explain the "week of filming fight scenes". In fact, it doesn't even sound like they're looking with an actor in mind - they're asking for the best real-life swordsman they can get in Europe.
How about the champion of the faith for the trial by combat against Zombiemountain and whoever the Tyrells pick? I mean, paragon of knighthood and all that. And if they want to make it looking good against Zombieton they better get a decent fighter.
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
fgalkin
Carvin' Marvin

Post by fgalkin »

Thanas wrote:
Guardsman Bass wrote:1. That sounds like Ser Arthur Dayne, but the details are weird. If they really were doing a Tower of Joy flashback now, then wouldn't we be hearing stories about Sean Bean showing up for a guest bit in Season 6 for that? They could be casting him for flashbacks involving Young Jaime, but that wouldn't explain the "week of filming fight scenes". In fact, it doesn't even sound like they're looking with an actor in mind - they're asking for the best real-life swordsman they can get in Europe.
How about the champion of the faith for the trial by combat against Zombiemountain and whoever the Tyrells pick? I mean, paragon of knighthood and all that. And if they want to make it looking good against Zombieton they better get a decent fighter.
Problem is, unless they go and make up a new character, the closest thing we've seen to a paragon of knighthood are Berric Dondarrion (who hangs out with a Red Priest now) and Brienne of Tarth. Neither of them will fight for the Faith.

If they do make up a brand new a paragon of knighthood character, it will beg the question- what had this honorable swordsman been doing all these past 5 seasons while his country was in the midst of a brutal civil war?

Have a very nice day.
-fgalkin
Pelranius
Sith Marauder

Post by Pelranius »

One of the previous casting calls for Season 6 was for a priest character who sounded a lot like Brother Meribald/Elder Brother, so I'm guessing that the Hound (who's been speculated to be the Gravedigger on the Quiet Isle) will show up for Clegane Bowl.

Of course, that mind seem like an asspull or fan service, so one of the characters appearing in Season 5 will probably have to go to the Riverlands and bump into him. Probably won't be Brienne, given that she'll probably have to take Sansa somewhere.
Turns out that a five way cross over between It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia, the Ali G Show, Fargo, Idiocracy and Veep is a lot less funny when you're actually living in it.
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

fgalkin wrote:If they do make up a brand new a paragon of knighthood character, it will beg the question- what had this honorable swordsman been doing all these past 5 seasons while his country was in the midst of a brutal civil war?
We haven't seen a lot of stuff about Westeros really, he could easily be from some small realm. Like Brienne's family etc.
As for what he was doing, defending his holdings against raids? There are plenty of reasons they can pull out.
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
Irbis
Jedi Council Member

Post by Irbis »

Vympel wrote:
Very long shot - Jon Connington? :lol:
fgalkin wrote:If they do make up a brand new a paragon of knighthood character, it will beg the question- what had this honorable swordsman been doing all these past 5 seasons while his country was in the midst of a brutal civil war?
What country?

No, really, look at map - so far, all the fighting was in Riverlands, around capital, and near Winterfell. The other 3/4 of land been totally fine so far, even more so in TV seeing there was no Iron raiding yet.
fgalkin
Carvin' Marvin

Post by fgalkin »

…are you forgetting that every Lord Paramount except Doran Martell has called his banners, so every knight and minor lord in the realm outside of Dorne would have been involved in the fighting?

Have a very nice day.
-fgalkin
Ralin
Sith Marauder

Post by Ralin »

fgalkin wrote:
If they do make up a brand new a paragon of knighthood character, it will beg the question- what had this honorable swordsman been doing all these past 5 seasons while his country was in the midst of a brutal civil war?

Have a very nice day.
-fgalkin
Defending septs and the faithful, presumably. He doesn't have to hold lands and be sworn to a lord to be a knight, so maybe there wasn't anyone to order him into the war?

And being such a paragon of knighthood he naturally decided that protecting the smallfolk waa more important than winning glory and that's why he's with the Faith now.

There are worse ideas
Irbis
Jedi Council Member

Post by Irbis »

fgalkin wrote:…are you forgetting that every Lord Paramount except Doran Martell has called his banners, so every knight and minor lord in the realm outside of Dorne would have been involved in the fighting?
That still doesn't apply to garrisons of various castles, direct vassals to the crown (not lords) that never got the memo, vassals of lords that didn't agree with them (Stannis managed to gather fuckall from Stormlands and even after Renly's death the men who joined him mostly deserted as soon as he was beaten on Blackwater) or weren't called (Tullys failed to properly mobilize riverlands, Robb had maybe half of North). Oh, and you forgot about Vale.

Really, only Lannisters and Iron Men mobilised their strength fully, the next best contender, Highgarden, mostly wasted time walking to and from pointlessly with grand total of just one battle fought. And even they left enough spare forces behind to not need to run after notVikings stabbed them in the back but mobilized what they missed the first time.

And final example - Connington landed in middle of area where at least four sides of civil war called everyone possible to war and there was still enough left to oppose/join him in large numbers...
Ralin
Sith Marauder

Post by Ralin »

Irbis wrote: the next best contender, Highgarden, mostly wasted time walking to and from pointlessly with grand total of just one battle fought
...And ended up with their lord named Hand of the King, his daughter married to said king and mostly fresh troops for round two. Sounds like the opposite of wasted to me.
Vympel
Spetsnaz
Spetsnaz

Post by Vympel »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CuH3tJPiP-U

I'm sure all the GOT fans have already seen it, but for officialdom's sake I must post it.

Thoughts:

- The Bolton tower shield wall / spears versus Wildlings looked really cool;
- Euron Greyjoy doesn't have his eyepatch in the show;
- "I choose violence" is really popular;
- Ned and his companions / Arthur Dayne (wielding two swords, not Dawn, unfortunately);
- It seems clear from the trailer that Bolton men find Sansa and Theon, but they're in turn rescued by Brienne;
- Davos wielding Longclaw!
Pelranius
Sith Marauder

Post by Pelranius »

Wonder who the burned guy is on the St. Andrew's cross?

I've heard alternate theories of Stannis or Roose.
Vympel
Spetsnaz
Spetsnaz

Post by Vympel »

Pelranius wrote:Wonder who the burned guy is on the St. Andrew's cross?

I've heard alternate theories of Stannis or Roose.
Stannis probably got decapitated by Brienne, so I think it unlikely. Possibly Roose, or more likely, someone important to the Stark loyalists.
The Vortex Empire
Jedi Council Member

Post by The Vortex Empire »

My money's on Roose, Ramsay is almost certainly going to kill him before Roose has a son and doesn't need him anymore.
Alferd Packer
Sith Marauder

Post by Alferd Packer »

Vympel wrote: - Davos wielding Longclaw!
I suspect he's about to kill Ghost--the other brothers do draw their swords, but I think that's more of reflex than anything else. It would be an odd tone shift if he suddenly went ham on four members of the Night's Watch in close quarters.
"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance--that principle is contempt prior to investigation." -Herbert Spencer

"Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain." - Schiller, Die Jungfrau von Orleans, III vi.
Vympel
Spetsnaz
Spetsnaz

Post by Vympel »

Alferd Packer wrote:
Vympel wrote: - Davos wielding Longclaw!
I suspect he's about to kill Ghost--the other brothers do draw their swords, but I think that's more of reflex than anything else. It would be an odd tone shift if he suddenly went ham on four members of the Night's Watch in close quarters.
They showed more of the scene on Conan - no, he's trying to defend Jon's body from the mutineers outside (led by Alliser).

New trailer is out too, looks awesome.

https://youtu.be/EI0ib1NErqg
Alferd Packer
Sith Marauder

Post by Alferd Packer »

I just hope Olly's first against the wall. :lol:

Lots of new stuff in the trailer. Pod and Brienne at Riverrun. Sansa in Stark colors. A Stark banner flying behind Davos. THE QUEEN IN THE NORTH!
"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance--that principle is contempt prior to investigation." -Herbert Spencer

"Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain." - Schiller, Die Jungfrau von Orleans, III vi.
Crown
NARF

Post by Crown »

Alferd Packer wrote:I just hope Olly's first against the wall. :lol:

Lots of new stuff in the trailer. Pod and Brienne at Riverrun. Sansa in Stark colors. A Stark banner flying behind Davos. THE QUEEN IN THE NORTH!
Goes to re-watch frame by frame the Sansa scenes ...
Η ζωή, η ζωή εδω τελειώνει!
"Science is one cold-hearted bitch with a 14" strap-on" - Masuka 'Dexter'
"Angela is not the woman you think she is Gabriel, she's done terrible things"
"So have I, and I'm going to do them all to you." - Sylar to Arthur 'Heroes'
Alferd Packer
Sith Marauder

Post by Alferd Packer »

Crown wrote:
Alferd Packer wrote:I just hope Olly's first against the wall. :lol:

Goes to re-watch frame by frame the Sansa scenes ...
To be fair, the last one was speculation on my part. :D The other three are in there, though.