You command the Watcher's Council.

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Re: You command the Watcher's Council.

Post by FaxModem1 »

Well, Ethan Rayne did something similar with chocolate bars in Band Candy. I'm sure we can do something similar if we wish to, our target could be anything that is consumed in massive quantities.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic »

FaxModem1 wrote:Well, Ethan Rayne did something similar with chocolate bars in Band Candy. I'm sure we can do something similar if we wish to, our target could be anything that is consumed in massive quantities.
Ethan Rayne used magic candy on the scale of one small town.

Granted, the Watcher's Council probably has more resources than Rayne and the Mayor of Sunnydale, but enough to do something like that globally?

Edit: Sure, controlling major companies like in this scenario of your's might give them more resources. But I still wonder how many priests you'd need to bless everything Apple produces, for example.
FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Post by FaxModem1 »

Still, imagine if we invested in Coca Cola for instance, and blessed the water tanks before the bottles are made. Everyone in America who drinks Coke now has Demon repellent in their system until they digest it out. That's going to make vampires and demons nervous about who they feed on.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

I understand the advantage in theory. Its just the practicality that's an issue.

Well, that and that the vampires could just start feeding on health food types if targeted Coca Cola. :lol: Or drag captives back to their lair and keep them for a few days before feeding. Or start breeding/farming them for food.
FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Post by FaxModem1 »

It really depends on the amount of preparation and time that went into the band Candy spell. A week or more for a warehouse, and its rather impractical. 12 hours or less and this can have the same amount of dedication as a kosher meal.
FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Post by FaxModem1 »

As for dealing with Vegans, Organic food growers, etc. Not all vampires will be able to do this, those who do will be much more conspicuous because of the extra effort they will have to put in to get a meal, making it easier to hunt them down. Its not intended as a 100 percent anti-vampire measure. It is intended to make our job easier and the vampires' job harder. We can also invest in organic food companies if needed.
Purple
Sith Acolyte
Location: In a purple cube orbiting this planet. Hijacking satellites for an internet connection.

Post by Purple »

Or just you know, bless the water supply. A casual visit to the waterworks of major cities would do wonders.
It has become clear to me in the previous days that any attempts at reconciliation and explanation with the community here has failed. I have tried my best. I really have. I pored my heart out trying. But it was all for nothing.

You win. There, I have said it.

Now there is only one thing left to do. Let us see if I can sum up the strength needed to end things once and for all.
FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Post by FaxModem1 »

Purple wrote:Or just you know, bless the water supply. A casual visit to the waterworks of major cities would do wonders.
Unfortunately, we don't know how to do that, as the water will constantly be moving, never stopping, and going in thousands of different directions. As an example, throw some lemonade mix into a lake or river, it might affect a tiny bit, but it won't affect the entire stream. I think the same would apply to trying to bless it. Doing so to a factory's water tank, sprinkler system or equivalent would be much easier.

Another idea I had was finding the contractor for whomever made Wesley's sword/stake wrist device, and make it standard equipment for all Slayers and Watchers in the field, as it's rather easy to hide with a long sleeve, has multiple uses, and would come in handy as a backup weapon for anyone low on weaponry or in a tight spot, which tends to happen in the Buffy-world a lot.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

I think the stakes up the sleeves was Angel's gimmick, not Wesley's. Though Weasley later used a variant with a blade.

And as for blessing water, I figure there's probably a limit on how much you can bless at once.
FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Post by FaxModem1 »

They were collapsible swords commissioned by Wesley and made or distributed by Emil. Considering our resources, we can either find a way to contract them out to builder, or find a way to get the blueprints and make our own factory.
Zwinmar
Jedi Master

Post by Zwinmar »

One thing to determine is: Who can bless and to what extent. What symbols repel a vampire and why. After all, it can be argued just about anything can be a holy symbol to someone and anyone can become a legal minister easily online.
madd0ct0r
Sith Acolyte

Post by madd0ct0r »

Hmm, if Bhuddist prayer wheels count, they could be added to production lines in China.
"Aid, trade, green technology and peace." - Hans Rosling.
"Welcome to SDN, where we can't see the forest because walking into trees repeatedly feels good, bro." - Mr Coffee
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

IIRC (but it's been a very long time since I watched either Buffy or Angel, and Angel was always my preference, so heaping grains of salt) crosses only worked on vampires that came from Christian backgrounds; at some point someone tried pulling a cross on either an Asian or a pagan vampire and got swatted for their trouble. Or maybe I'm thinking of a Star of David.

There's also at least one episode where Xander makes a cross with a pair of candlesticks and the vampire just laughs, so it's got to be a proper symbol, not something you cobble together.
It's a strange world. Let's keep it that way.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

To the best of my knowledge, as far as symbols go, its only crosses that generally effect vampires and they do it pretty consistently (though the Master, Angel, and Spike were all able to overcome the fear of touching crosses, albeit not the burning effect, due to will/mental state). Which is a bit odd given that Whedon is an atheist, but I guess its a traditional part of vampire lore. Holy water and consecrated ground burns them as well, and garlic can apparently have an effect on them too (its shown in season three of BtVS that if you can get them to ingest holy water, it can be lethal). And there's some sort of ritual you can perform to bar a vampire you've previously invited into your home (Buffy employs it against Angel, Spike, and Harmony at various times). That seems to possibly be a mix of Christian and non-Christian elements.

For other holy symbols being useful, you might be confusing this with a different story. Off the top of my head, I know it works that way in The Dresden Files (Dresden once uses his pentacle amulet to burn a vampire, I believe, on the basis that its the symbol of magic and that's what he believes in). Don't know if any other stories have taken that approach.

Might also have come up in the Buffy comics, I suppose. I haven't read much of them.