KUNG FURY now on Youtube

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

tezunegari
Jedi Knight

KUNG FURY now on Youtube

Post by tezunegari »

:luv: Barbarianna, the hot viking with a minigun... riding a wolf... hunting Laseraptors.
"Bring your thousands, I have my axe."
"Bring your cannons, I have my armor."
"Bring your mighty... I am my own champion."
Cue Unit-01 ramming half the Lance of Longinus down Adam's head and a bemused Gendo, "Wrong end, son."
Ikari Gendo, NGE Fanfiction "Standing Tall"
Tribble
Sith Devotee

Re: KUNG FURY now on Youtube

Post by Tribble »

This will be... interesting.
"I reject your reality and substitute my own!" - The official Troll motto, as stated by Adam Savage
Rogue 9
Scrapping TIEs since 1997

Post by Rogue 9 »

Oh my God, it's SO BAD. I could not stop laughing. :lol: 10/10, so bad it's good, would watch again.
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

HAB | KotL | VRWC/ELC/CDA | TRotR | The Anti-Confederate | Sluggite | Gamer | Blogger | Staff Reporter | Student | Musician
Sea Skimmer
Yankee Capitalist Air Pirate

Post by Sea Skimmer »

Its pretty damn amusing but a lot stronger in the first half then the second for certain.
"This cult of special forces is as sensible as to form a Royal Corps of Tree Climbers and say that no soldier who does not wear its green hat with a bunch of oak leaves stuck in it should be expected to climb a tree"
— Field Marshal William Slim 1956
Tribble
Sith Devotee

Post by Tribble »

Sea Skimmer wrote:Its pretty damn amusing but a lot stronger in the first half then the second for certain.
Maybe, but the moment where Spoiler
the T-Rex and robot-eagle fought
was more than worth it.

As was the part where Kung Fury tried to Spoiler
arrest his spirit animal for obstruction of justice because it refused/couldn't bring him back to life
"I reject your reality and substitute my own!" - The official Troll motto, as stated by Adam Savage
Argosh
Jedi Knight

Post by Argosh »

That thing in his car :D ... Spoiler
HOFF9000
--
Don't make me use uppercase...
Darth Nostril
Jedi Knight

Post by Darth Nostril »

Sea Skimmer wrote:Its pretty damn amusing but a lot stronger in the first half then the second for certain.
Definitely, they tried to do too much with just half an hour and the last half fell like a failed souffle.
So I stare wistfully at the Lightning for a couple of minutes. Two missiles, sharply raked razor-thin wings, a huge, pregnant belly full of fuel, and the two screamingly powerful engines that once rammed it from a cold start to a thousand miles per hour in under a minute. Life would be so much easier if our adverseries could be dealt with by supersonic death on wings - but alas, Human resources aren't so easily defeated.

Imperial Battleship, halt the flow of time!

My weird shit NSFW
bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Post by bilateralrope »

I think what made the second half feel weak is that the fight scenes just dragged on without being interesting.
Rogue 9
Scrapping TIEs since 1997

Post by Rogue 9 »

bilateralrope wrote:I think what made the second half feel weak is that the fight scenes just dragged on without being interesting.
So much like Avengers 2, then? :P But yeah, I think the opening fight scene benefited greatly from the VHS tracking gag. :lol:
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

HAB | KotL | VRWC/ELC/CDA | TRotR | The Anti-Confederate | Sluggite | Gamer | Blogger | Staff Reporter | Student | Musician
Starglider
Miles Dyson

Post by Starglider »

bilateralrope wrote:I think what made the second half feel weak is that the fight scenes just dragged on without being interesting.
The direction was just poor on the Nazi base sequence. They gathered some cool characters but then just had them effortlessly mow down helpless milling extras for a minute or so. There was no actual fight with the nemesis. This part could have been much more exciting just with better framing, without spending any more on CGI. The Nazi moustache joke was bad pacing and should have been cut and replaced with something more interesting for the Vikings to do.

Still a lot of fun though and the music video was just perfect; you could easily imagine that being cut together from an actual 80s feature film.
TOSDOC
Padawan Learner
Location: Rotating between Redshirt Hospital and the Stormtrooper School of Marksmanship.

Post by TOSDOC »

Definitely having 80's flashbacks with this one, especially with the Tracking. And the scene with them riding the T. Rex felt like it was right out of Heavy Metal. But the first half was better, especially where he
Spoiler
crushes the phone in his hand, and starts his car with his gun.
"In the long run, however, there can be no excuse for any individual not knowing what it is possible for him to know. Why shouldn't he?" --Elliot Grosvenor, Voyage of the Space Beagle
Eleas
Jaina Dax

Post by Eleas »

The second half has one huge redeeming moment where Spoiler
the dinosaur (who hadn't shown any sign of intelligence before that point) turns to the camera and goes "teamwork is very important" while everyone LAUGHS HEARTILY. I loved Far Cry: Blood Dragon, but compared to UbiSoft's game, Kung Fury was much better at nailing the cringeworthy 80's staples such as blatantly preaching to the audience and the typically forced happy ending.
Björn Paulsen

"Travelers with closed minds can tell us little except about themselves."
--Chinua Achebe
Sea Skimmer

Post by Sea Skimmer »

I'm not sure I'd go that far. Maybe it means less to people not from the US, well actually I'm sure it does, but the Blood Dragon bit with 'winners don't do drugs' is almost impossible to match with anything else for pure 80s. That was actually displayed by almost every arcade machine in the country for years and years far into the 1990s, and it wouldn't surprise me if some machines still do it since the only thing that ever breaks on those machines is the screen and the joysticks. Not to mention Michael Biehn and Vietnam War TWO!

Also the end of blood dragon, with the Spoiler
missiles exploding into fireworks as you shoot them with a galting gun.
Kung Fury doesn't deliver so well on the pure raving gung ho absurdity like that except its opening bit, which is by far the best part. But I do love them both.
"This cult of special forces is as sensible as to form a Royal Corps of Tree Climbers and say that no soldier who does not wear its green hat with a bunch of oak leaves stuck in it should be expected to climb a tree"
Eleas
Jaina Dax

Post by Eleas »

I dunno. I mean, I get what you're saying and mostly I agree, I just felt Kung Fury got a lot more of the less overt but omnipresent '80s stuff in there. The Miami palm trees. The emphasis on (specifically) the bicep as manliness substitute. Hell, the gull-wing sports car is just pure evocative 80's jet fuel. And in the end, the blending of all those element into a coherent mess was what sold it for me.

Both Blood Dragon and Kung Fury are fantastic, but I felt BD was the weaker in that regard. It just didn't seem to know if it wanted to go for balls-to-the-wall stone-faced parody or self-awareness.
Björn Paulsen

--Chinua Achebe
Sea Skimmer

Post by Sea Skimmer »

Blood Dragon comes across like an actual 1980s movie and is very consistent, aside from that opening worst tutorial ever bit. Kung Fury is a string of gags about 1980s movies but really doesn't have a story, and some gags work far better then others. I suppose its really just not fair to compare them.
Eleas
Jaina Dax

Post by Eleas »

No, it is tonally entirely inconsistent. The Benji gag. The shout-outs to video games. The aforementioned tutorial. The collectibles. Hell, the missions themselves. Half the time it's trying to be archly ironic, the other times it's playing it straight, and it never makes up its mind.

It's not the fault of the game in itself. No, this feels like it's on Jeffrey Yohalem, whose weakness as a writer is well known. I still can't dislike him though, because when Blood Dragon works, it really does work.
Björn Paulsen

--Chinua Achebe