Jared Leto As Joker In Suicide Squad, Revealed!

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Re: Jared Leto As Joker In Suicide Squad, Revealed!

Post by The Romulan Republic »

Chimaera wrote:
The Romulan Republic wrote:I can't say I care for it.

I feel rather sorry for Leto. Between this costume and the fact that he'll be in Heath Ledger's shadow, he's almost certain to receive a massive amount of bile no matter how good his performance is.
You say that, but so far I've seen almost universal optimism for Leto online. I really do think he will match or even (gasp) exceed Ledger in the role, but it's gonna be a pretty different take and he'll make it his own.
I'm not denying his ability as an actor, merely expressing regret over how some people are likely to react regardless of his talent or lack thereof.
Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf »

biostem wrote:I couldn't imagine Joker sitting there long enough to get that kind of higher quality tattooing done. To me, the joker should have this sort of disheveled and grimy look to him. He doesn't have to be caked in dirt, but I wouldn't really picture the joker as one who cares too much for personal hygiene. He should be the kind of person that you just wouldn't want to be that physically close to...
In TDKR he lay catatonic for ten or so years when Batman went away, so presumably if it suits his crazy methods he'll sit still.
"Oh no, oh yeah, tell me how can it be so fair
That we dying younger hiding from the police man over there
Just for breathing in the air they wanna leave me in the chair
Electric shocking body rocking beat streeting me to death"

- A.B. Original, Report to the Mist

"I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."
- George Carlin
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

There really have been a whole lot of different takes on the Joker. You have the classic bumbling clown (Cesar Romero), you have a gentlemanly but lethal prankster (Silver Age-ish), schizophrenic madman, self-mutilating weirdo, etc... The only things that are consistent are the look (white skin, green hair, purple clothing, massive grin... the details vary) and the enmity with Batman which is expressed through criminal and pseudo-comic 'jokes'. As long as you keep those two things, that's the Joker.

Personally I've always preferred the Bruce Timm interpretation of the Silver Age Joker, but I'm flexible enough to recognize the variety out there... just not always a fan. The nu-52 Joker, in particular, is a bit *too* twisted for me.
It's a strange world. Let's keep it that way.
Atlan
Jedi Knight

Post by Atlan »

Hm, this Joker looks like he's trying to look crazy. Which is missing the point of the character. The Joker doesn't try to look crazy, he is crazy.
"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly.
Specialization is for insects."
R.A. Heinlein.
Iroscato
Jedi Council Member

Post by Iroscato »

Hmm...a half-baked theory just popped into my head.
Since BvS will be based heavily off of Dark Knight Returns...what if Batman did retire for a long time, and Joker went into a catatonic state a la TDKR. Before he does so, however, he tattoos onto himself reminders of the things that made him 'The Joker', including his laugh, his inhuman smile, etc. It serves as a way to help 'reactivate' his insane psyche, the first step to reactivation would be the return of Batman himself.
Something to help him get back into the groove, as it were.
Or maybe it was something to help him constantly remember what he is, so that he keeps up the persona and the energy without the presence of Batman in his life to sharpen his claws against. I've often thought the Joker is, essentially, putting it on a bit. The man himself is completely psychotic, no doubt, but The Joker is an act that requires effort being put into it to maintain. You see the facade cracking sometimes - for instance, in Return of the Joker where Terry taunts Joker until he completely loses it but due to anger rather than amusement.
To my credit, I know sweet dick all about psychology, especially comic book psychology, but it's something that wandered into my brain 5 minutes ago, so I wrote it out. Thoughts? Feel free to tear it apart, the more learned of the canon than I :P
Yeah, I've always taken the subtext of the Birther movement to be, "The rules don't count here! This is different! HE'S BLACK! BLACK, I SAY! ARE YOU ALL BLIND!?

- Raw Shark

Destiny and fate are for those too weak to forge their own futures. Where we are 'supposed' to be is irrelevent.

- SirNitram (RIP)
Guardsman Bass
Cowardly Codfish

Post by Guardsman Bass »

I'll reserve judgment on the character in general until I see Leto in action, although I hate how he looks in that particular picture.

He's just so excited, you guys! Life-time ICP tickets, OMG!
“It is possible to commit no mistakes and still lose. That is not a weakness. That is life.”
-Jean-Luc Picard

"Men are afraid that women will laugh at them. Women are afraid that men will kill them."
-Margaret Atwood