Jared Leto As Joker In Suicide Squad, Revealed!

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

FSTargetDrone
Emperor's Hand

Jared Leto As Joker In Suicide Squad, Revealed!

Post by FSTargetDrone »

Entertainment Weekly:
See first photo of Jared Leto as The Joker in Suicide Squad

by Jonathon Dornbush • @jmdornbush

Posted April 24 2015 — 9:09 PM EDT

Ladies and gentlemen, meet the new Mr. J.

David Ayer, director of the upcoming Suicide Squad film, has teased what Jared Leto as the iconic DC villain the Joker would look like. But now, he’s given us our first official look at Jared Leto as the latest take on one of Batman’s greatest foes, and it may not be what fans would expect.

The picture of Leto, which Ayer released late Friday to celebrate the Joker’s 75th anniversary, shows off a quite unique Joker compared to his previous live-action pictures. Gone is the suit-clad Jack Nicholson version or the shaggy, disheveled look of Heath Ledger’s take. Instead, this Joker—or at least the version Ayer is revealing—looks to be the most maniacal yet, with tattoos, chrome (or just horribly kept) teeth and a slicked back, shockingly bright green tuft of hair. The character’s iconic use of purple is still there, but only in the form of a single glove.

Whether this is how the Joker will look throughout the film or simply for a portion of it, this picture sure takes a stand and proves that Ayer is looking to do something quite different than the Joker’s previous appearances on the big screen. We’ll likely find out more in the months to come before Suicide Squad’s release on Aug. 5, 2016.
Well, that's different. Not sure how I feel about it yet. I'm not a fan of the teeth, for starters. The whole thing makes me think of a cosplay effort by someone who happens to be tattooed. Though they don't look especially good, the tattoos. They seem too obviously painted on.
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Re: Jared Leto As Joker In Suicide Squad, Revealed!

Post by Crazedwraith »

That's... different. Not a fan on first glance but it might work well in motion/in the film itself.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic »

I can't say I care for it.

I feel rather sorry for Leto. Between this costume and the fact that he'll be in Heath Ledger's shadow, he's almost certain to receive a massive amount of bile no matter how good his performance is.
Zaune
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zaune »

Well, it's certainly a brave attempt at trying something new with the character.
There are hardly any excesses of the most crazed psychopath that cannot easily be duplicated by a normal kindly family man who just comes in to work every day and has a job to do.
-- (Terry Pratchett, Small Gods)

Replace "ginger" with "n*gger," and suddenly it become a lot less funny, doesn't it?
-- fgalkin

Like my writing? Tip me on Patreon

I Have A Blog
Majin Gojira
Sith Acolyte

Post by Majin Gojira »

I like that this joker has, apparently, had his token grin punched in at some point.

Or multiple points.
ISARMA: Daikaiju Coordinator: Just Add Radiation
Justice League- Molly Hayes: Respect Hats or Freakin' Else!
Browncoat
Supernatural Taisen - "[This Story] is essentially "Wouldn't it be awesome if this happened?" Followed by explosions."

Reviewing movies is a lot like Paleontology: The Evidence is there...but no one seems to agree upon it.

"God! Are you so bored that you enjoy seeing us humans suffer?! Why can't you let this poor man live happily with his son! What kind of God are you, crushing us like ants?!" - Kyoami, Ran
Channel72
Jedi Council Member

Post by Channel72 »

Before Ledger, I really didn't think anyone could beat Nicholson - his angular face, voice, and the fact that he was known for playing insane people (i.e. The Shining, Cuckoo's Nest, etc.) made him absolutely perfect. But man... Ledger was amazing. So let's reserve judgment on this.
Terralthra
Requiescat in Pace

Post by Terralthra »

I like that, psychopath or not, the Joker still remembers to do some arm pullovers and rope pulls every day for that serratus definition every homicidal villain needs.
Iroscato
Jedi Council Member

Post by Iroscato »

I quite like it, myself - I appreciate them trying something different. I have a feeling this is the Joker in his 'raw' form in Arkham, at some point in the film he'll be applying white makeup that covers up the facial tats. Either way, I'm looking forward to seeing what Leto can do with the role.
Yeah, I've always taken the subtext of the Birther movement to be, "The rules don't count here! This is different! HE'S BLACK! BLACK, I SAY! ARE YOU ALL BLIND!?

- Raw Shark

Destiny and fate are for those too weak to forge their own futures. Where we are 'supposed' to be is irrelevent.

- SirNitram (RIP)
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

Not much of a fan of the teeth myself (yeah, that came as a surprise) but I don't feel they need to do something about the facial tattoos.The guy's got the green hair, the pale skin, and the mad expression. If anything the facial tattoos add to that, not detract from it.
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
Joun_Lord
Jedi Master

Post by Joun_Lord »

I can kinda see where people are calling him the "juggalo" Joker but honestly I kinda like it.

This is supposed to be a continuation of the Ledger Joker right? That Joker was thrown in prison, and apparently not even let out when Bane did his shit, and what does a prisoner do in prison? They work out and get tattoos.

In a completely unrelated note this Joker is buff and has a crapton of tattoos including a parody of the prison "teardrop" tattoo. For the life of me I can't figure out why he might look like that.

This is another case of "its different therefore it sucks" that really starts to piss me off about the fan community. I can understand wanting to protect a character, not have some shitstain with a pen totally fuck with them to please some board room, focus group, or the thing that gets nerd boners a'ragin' more recently, being "politically correct". But to be so opposed to character change that they throw a fit about a character evolving, as this one has, it just seems stupid and petty.
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

It's not a continuation of the Ledger Joker no.

I get your point though. People were up in arms about Ledger's Joker as well.
Ziggy Stardust
Sith Devotee

Post by Ziggy Stardust »

Joun_Lord wrote:I can kinda see where people are calling him the "juggalo" Joker but honestly I kinda like it.

This is supposed to be a continuation of the Ledger Joker right? That Joker was thrown in prison, and apparently not even let out when Bane did his shit, and what does a prisoner do in prison? They work out and get tattoos.

In a completely unrelated note this Joker is buff and has a crapton of tattoos including a parody of the prison "teardrop" tattoo. For the life of me I can't figure out why he might look like that.

This is another case of "its different therefore it sucks" that really starts to piss me off about the fan community. I can understand wanting to protect a character, not have some shitstain with a pen totally fuck with them to please some board room, focus group, or the thing that gets nerd boners a'ragin' more recently, being "politically correct". But to be so opposed to character change that they throw a fit about a character evolving, as this one has, it just seems stupid and petty.
I have no problem with the idea of doing something different with the Joker. I prefer them to do something new as opposed to rehashing something we've already seen. But I still just think this design blows, personally. I kind of resent that you just paint everyone that disagrees with you and doesn't like this as just being stupid and petty. Yes, maybe there are some people out there like that. There are also people like me who just think they did a bad job this time and made something really lame.
Enigma
is a laughing fool.

Post by Enigma »

I'm reserving judgement on Leto's Joker until I see more pics of him or a SS trailer with him in it. I too was wary of Ledger's take until I saw him in action.
ASVS('97)/SDN('03)

"Whilst human alchemists refer to the combustion triangle, some of their orcish counterparts see it as more of a hexagon: heat, fuel, air, laughter, screaming, fun." Dawn of the Dragons

ASSCRAVATS!
Darth Nostril
Jedi Knight

Post by Darth Nostril »

Looks like a cross between (young) Ozzy Osborne and Marylin Manson.
So I stare wistfully at the Lightning for a couple of minutes. Two missiles, sharply raked razor-thin wings, a huge, pregnant belly full of fuel, and the two screamingly powerful engines that once rammed it from a cold start to a thousand miles per hour in under a minute. Life would be so much easier if our adverseries could be dealt with by supersonic death on wings - but alas, Human resources aren't so easily defeated.

Imperial Battleship, halt the flow of time!

My weird shit NSFW
Joun_Lord
Jedi Master

Post by Joun_Lord »

Crazedwraith wrote:It's not a continuation of the Ledger Joker no.
I assumed this was still in the same canon as the Nolan Batmons, that DC was doing their own version of the MCU with the Nolan trilogy as the basis. Or were they using the Man of Fail (my own personal opinion) as the start and disregarding the Nolan stuff?
Ziggy Stardust wrote: I have no problem with the idea of doing something different with the Joker. I prefer them to do something new as opposed to rehashing something we've already seen. But I still just think this design blows, personally. I kind of resent that you just paint everyone that disagrees with you and doesn't like this as just being stupid and petty. Yes, maybe there are some people out there like that. There are also people like me who just think they did a bad job this time and made something really lame.
I didn't say everyone who disagrees with me is stupid and petty, even I'm not that full of myself (usually). I said anyone who cannot handle any sort of changes to the character, the "its different therefore its sucks" people. Being pissed because this Joker looks like a juggalo is not what I'm talking 'bout Willis. Being pissed because they changed the Joker from the Ledger or Nicholas or whomever Joker, not caring what they changed just the fact they changed it, that is what I'm talking (typing) about.

I can understand why people might not like this Joker, I was pretty iffy myself at first glance but he's grown on me in the few hours since I first saw him. But to be pissed not because of the Jaw's style Joker Grill or his somewhat try hard tattoos (the head "damaged" tattoo still bothers me) or whatever else can be considered dumb but because he's not a carbon copy of Ledger, that IS pretty stupid and petty.

And if you disagree with me therefore you suck! :wink:
Iroscato
Jedi Council Member

Post by Iroscato »

I assumed this was still in the same canon as the Nolan Batmons, that DC was doing their own version of the MCU with the Nolan trilogy as the basis. Or were they using the Man of Fail (my own personal opinion) as the start and disregarding the Nolan stuff?
Totally new continuity. Nolan's Batman was essentially a normal man in the real world who was already falling apart at 40, this one will be able to go toe-to-toe with Supes, or at least not get killfucked immediately.
Yeah, I've always taken the subtext of the Birther movement to be, "The rules don't count here! This is different! HE'S BLACK! BLACK, I SAY! ARE YOU ALL BLIND!?

- Raw Shark

Destiny and fate are for those too weak to forge their own futures. Where we are 'supposed' to be is irrelevent.

- SirNitram (RIP)
Jub
Sith Marauder

Post by Jub »

This new design is attention-grabbing to say nothing else, and honestly I kind of like it. It feels a lot younger than our previous movie Jokers and I get the feeling that this will be a more frantic high energy Joker than we've yet seen.
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

I'm not a huge fan of it, but I'll reserve judgment for the moment. Looks like they're running with the new-52 feel of things. At least this one (probably) won't be skinning his own face off and then running around with it as a mask...
It's a strange world. Let's keep it that way.
Iroscato
Jedi Council Member

Post by Iroscato »

Elheru Aran wrote:At least this one (probably) won't be skinning his own face off and then running around with it as a mask...
What?!
*Googles*
Aaaaaaaaaaarrrgh!!!

- Raw Shark

- SirNitram (RIP)
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

Chimaera wrote:
Elheru Aran wrote:At least this one (probably) won't be skinning his own face off and then running around with it as a mask...
What?!
*Googles*
Aaaaaaaaaaarrrgh!!!
That's pretty much the reaction most fans have had to the new 52 so far, funnily enough...
Pelranius
Sith Marauder

Post by Pelranius »

I'm favorably inclined to it, but I'd like to see him in a purple suit first.
Turns out that a five way cross over between It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia, the Ali G Show, Fargo, Idiocracy and Veep is a lot less funny when you're actually living in it.
Iroscato
Jedi Council Member

Post by Iroscato »

The Romulan Republic wrote:I can't say I care for it.

I feel rather sorry for Leto. Between this costume and the fact that he'll be in Heath Ledger's shadow, he's almost certain to receive a massive amount of bile no matter how good his performance is.
You say that, but so far I've seen almost universal optimism for Leto online. I really do think he will match or even (gasp) exceed Ledger in the role, but it's gonna be a pretty different take and he'll make it his own.

- Raw Shark

- SirNitram (RIP)
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

That does seem to be part of his acting method... taking very unconventional roles or approaches. It's not many guys that would pull off being a transgender woman like he did in Dallas Buyer's Club, or (a few years ago) chubbing up for Mark David Chapman. And being lead singer in a rock band no less. So I think he's got the confidence to gung-ho his way through as offbeat of a depiction of the Joker as this is. Whether viewers will get it is another story...
biostem
Jedi Master

Post by biostem »

I couldn't imagine Joker sitting there long enough to get that kind of higher quality tattooing done. To me, the joker should have this sort of disheveled and grimy look to him. He doesn't have to be caked in dirt, but I wouldn't really picture the joker as one who cares too much for personal hygiene. He should be the kind of person that you just wouldn't want to be that physically close to...
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

OK, I'll walk out on a limb and say that in my opinion it sucks.

Granted, I'm somewhat biased with liking the classic Joker look. And Leto might pull off some awesome acting that makes the character excellent in the movie... but that doesn't mean I'll like the visual look.

If other people go for it, well, they are as entitled to their opinion as I am to mine.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice