Batman v Superman - Now with spoilers and plot discussion!

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Re: Batman v Superman - Now with spoilers and plot discussion!

Post by Simon_Jester »

This is why I used the words "heavy hitter" not "duplicates entire powerset." She doesn't appear to be able to shoot lasers out of her eyes either; that doesn't make her not effective.
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic »

Simon_Jester wrote:This is why I used the words "heavy hitter" not "duplicates entire powerset." She doesn't appear to be able to shoot lasers out of her eyes either; that doesn't make her not effective.
You seem to think that we're arguing over weather Wonder Woman is effective, but I can't imagine why you would think that other than excessive defensiveness.

Of course she's effective, and I said as much.
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Suffice to say that your first response post came across as disagreeing with me, so I responded by trying to reinforce what I'd said first.

I may have misinterpreted your intent.

To avoid such misunderstandings, I try to remember to phrase the first sentence or two of my posts to express agreement, if I agree with the basic thesis of the person I'm replying to. Though I tend to forget to do it, myself.
EnterpriseSovereign
Sith Marauder

Post by EnterpriseSovereign »

Crown wrote:
Crazedwraith wrote:Huh. Well that is something. I cant remember many times where 'there is totally a better cut thats coming out on dvd!' Was true. I wonder if DotFP's Rogue cut did really well?
Kingdom of Heaven by Ridley Scott and well Watchmen from Snyder come to mind. The Rogue cut didn't do anything for DoFP for me, other than sort of answer the question of what the hell happened to Anna Paquin? I swear she was promoting this movie.
Crazedwraith wrote:And it is cool they are leading with it rather than trying to get everyone to buy the rdgular editiion first.
June 28th is like forever away! :(
On the plus side, Deadpool is right around the corner! :D
Crown
NARF

Post by Crown »

Galvatron wrote:More than any other home video release that I can think of, it's crucial that the Ultimate Cut of BvS succeed with both audiences and critics. The DCCU desperately needs some positive buzz going into Suicide Squad and Wonder Woman.
People need to stop wetting their panties about the DCCU as if it had suffered cot death due to BvS; WB ramped up their production of the other DCCU movies and doubled down on their vision of the expanded universe. I thought the movie would break $1bn, I was wrong, but in no way is $900m a failure like the trolls would like to paint.

But there are some truly amazing trolls that like to shit on the DCCU which perpetuate the 'crisis at WB' myth. Case in point when Suicide Squad was going for reshoots the interwebs were ablaze with rumours that it was because the studio didn't want it to be "too dark like BvS" and that the studio wanted "more humour". Which the cast and director both rubbished (every movie has reshoots scheduled for a variety of reasons and in this case they used the time for more action) but the meme had stuck with the internet by that point.

Funnily, no one is freaking out about Rogue One reshoots. Odd, eh? 8)
Crazedwraith wrote:I figure Suicide Squads more than building enough hype for itself with its Trailers.

Wonder Woman though given she actually appeared in BvS is more likely to be tarred by the same brush, even if she was basically the best bit in it. (For me)
Suicide Squad has got pretty much all of August to its self; it should do just fine (as long as the critics don't fucking savage it). Wonder Woman though was scheduled to be near the next Transformers - but I think they moved it (wisely).
The Romulan Republic wrote:For my part, I have high hopes for Suicide Squad and Wonder Woman, partly because they're like to be less sprawling and more focussed than BvS, and partly because I don't like Snyder as a director.
What :?: You don't like Snyder as a director; you've never mentioned that before! :angelic:
EnterpriseSovereign wrote:
Crown wrote:
Crazedwraith wrote:And it is cool they are leading with it rather than trying to get everyone to buy the rdgular editiion first.
June 28th is like forever away! :(
On the plus side, Deadpool is right around the corner! :D
That movie is a riot! :mrgreen:
Η ζωή, η ζωή εδω τελειώνει!
"Science is one cold-hearted bitch with a 14" strap-on" - Masuka 'Dexter'
"Angela is not the woman you think she is Gabriel, she's done terrible things"
"So have I, and I'm going to do them all to you." - Sylar to Arthur 'Heroes'
Galvatron
Decepticon Leader

Post by Galvatron »

Crown wrote:People need to stop wetting their panties about the DCCU as if it had suffered cot death due to BvS; WB ramped up their production of the other DCCU movies and doubled down on their vision of the expanded universe. I thought the movie would break $1bn, I was wrong, but in no way is $900m a failure like the trolls would like to paint.
I'm just afraid that the critics and fans are going to derail what I see as an awesome adaptation of the DC superheroes. I actually had someone tell me recently that Jimmy Olsen was crucial to Superman lore and that his death is what nailed the coffin shut on this version. :(

I might need you to periodically reassure me that all is well.
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

Crown wrote: Funnily, no one is freaking out about Rogue One reshoots. Odd, eh? 8)
I've seen if not freaking out reputatble articles on... yahoo news. Entitled 'Is Rogue One In trouble?' based on it having reshoots. So yeah people are worried.
Crown
NARF

Post by Crown »

Galvatron wrote:
Crown wrote:People need to stop wetting their panties about the DCCU as if it had suffered cot death due to BvS; WB ramped up their production of the other DCCU movies and doubled down on their vision of the expanded universe. I thought the movie would break $1bn, I was wrong, but in no way is $900m a failure like the trolls would like to paint.
I'm just afraid that the critics and fans are going to derail what I see as an awesome adaptation of the DC superheroes. I actually had someone tell me recently that Jimmy Olsen was crucial to Superman lore and that his death is what nailed the coffin shut on this version. :(
:lol:

Haters will use literally anything to tear this movie down. It's bizarre.
Galvatron wrote:I might need you to periodically reassure me that all is well.
*hugs bro*

We'll get through it together. Suicide Squad is going to rock people's world; WB are creaming their pants on the early screening feedback (rumour is they want a second one right away and Harley is going to get a spin off with other femme fatale's from the DC universe *cough* Birds of Prey rumours *cough*). And if we can get a little meta since Wonder Woman is like an all girl, and I mean an all girl movie we can accuse everyone who tries to tear it down as being misogynists just like Sony are doing with the Ghostbusters debacle! :P :wink:
Crown
NARF

Post by Crown »

Crazedwraith wrote:
Crown wrote: Funnily, no one is freaking out about Rogue One reshoots. Odd, eh? 8)
I've seen if not freaking out reputatble articles on... yahoo news. Entitled 'Is Rogue One In trouble?' based on it having reshoots. So yeah people are worried.
Really? Wow, it hasn't permeated through to the comicbook/movie YouTube geek channels I subscribe to yet, which is why it wasn't on my radar. Didn't see Reddit having a meltdown either and that's usually my barometer of internet hype/hysteria.
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

Crown wrote:
Crazedwraith wrote:
Really? Wow, it hasn't permeated through to the comicbook/movie YouTube geek channels I subscribe to yet, which is why it wasn't on my radar. Didn't see Reddit having a meltdown either and that's usually my barometer of internet hype/hysteria.
*Shrug* I hadn't seen a meltdown over Suicide Squad until you mentioned it. But I don't subscribe to any geek youtube channels or use reddit so I'm not exactly the best barometer to use here.
Lost Soal
Sith Devotee

Post by Lost Soal »

Galvatron wrote:

I might need you to periodically reassure me that all is well.
Frankly I tink it has more to do with interviews with Snyder saying in his universe Bruce Wayne would have been raped in prison.
"May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places where you must walk." - Ancient Egyptian Blessing

Ivanova is always right.
I will listen to Ivanova.
I will not ignore Ivanova's recommendations. Ivanova is God.
AND, if this ever happens again, Ivanova will personally rip your lungs out! - Babylon 5 Mantra

There is no "I" in TEAM. There is a ME however.
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

Da heck?
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

One of the reasons I despise Snyder is that he seems to be very much of the gratuitous, exploitative grimdark for the sake of grimdark school of super hero creators.

At the very least, he needs a good editor/executive overseer reigning him in.
Galvatron
Decepticon Leader

Post by Galvatron »

Crazedwraith wrote:Da heck?
The direct quote, taken from this article:
Everyone says that about "Batman Begins." "Batman's dark." I'm like, "Okay, no, Batman's cool." He gets to go to a Tibetan monastery and be trained by ninjas. Okay? I want to do that. But he doesn't, like, get raped in prison. That could happen in my movie. If you want to talk about dark, that's how that would go.
So in context, it sounds more like he wouldn't depict Bruce Wayne in prison because, realistically, even Batman wouldn't fare well there. His universe is more like the real universe in that sense.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Ah, that's not so bad. Indeed, post-becoming Batman, I'd think he'd fair particularly badly in prison, since so many people would be there because of him.

On the other hand, I still feel that overall, my critique of Snyder is applicable.
Purple
Sith Acolyte
Location: In a purple cube orbiting this planet. Hijacking satellites for an internet connection.

Post by Purple »

The Romulan Republic wrote:One of the reasons I despise Snyder is that he seems to be very much of the gratuitous, exploitative grimdark for the sake of grimdark school of super hero creators.

At the very least, he needs a good editor/executive overseer reigning him in.
My god... is there actually a second human being on this earth that agrees with me on this?!
Galvatron wrote:So in context, it sounds more like he wouldn't depict Bruce Wayne in prison because, realistically, even Batman wouldn't fare well there. His universe is more like the real universe in that sense.
To me it sounds like he does not understand the complaint.

He thinks that dark refers to the events of the movie as opposed to the world it is depicting. His batman movies are dark because they depict a world so fucked up that batman, the hero ends up being hunted as a criminal. That's a horribly pessimistic view of society. It may be a realistic one. But it's a dark and pessimistic one none the less because it shows a world that is rotten.

To put it simply his world is dark because it is a world where there is thematically no place for the bat signal.
It has become clear to me in the previous days that any attempts at reconciliation and explanation with the community here has failed. I have tried my best. I really have. I pored my heart out trying. But it was all for nothing.

You win. There, I have said it.

Now there is only one thing left to do. Let us see if I can sum up the strength needed to end things once and for all.
Ralin
Sith Marauder

Post by Ralin »

Purple wrote: My god... is there actually a second human being on this earth that agrees with me on this?!
There are, uhm, quite a lot of people who complain about the constant grimdarkness in superhero movies and comics. Hell, goddamn Alan Moore has said he feels like the entire American comic book industry has been scavenging through his trash bin for the past couple decades and that he misses the bright, optimistic comics that inspired him in the first place.
Purple
Sith Acolyte
Location: In a purple cube orbiting this planet. Hijacking satellites for an internet connection.

Post by Purple »

Thanks god for that. Maybe we'll finally get some good movies in a decade or so than. Stuff like the old Batman and Superman movies that actually were fun.
It has become clear to me in the previous days that any attempts at reconciliation and explanation with the community here has failed. I have tried my best. I really have. I pored my heart out trying. But it was all for nothing.

Now there is only one thing left to do. Let us see if I can sum up the strength needed to end things once and for all.
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

Purple wrote:Thanks god for that. Maybe we'll finally get some good movies in a decade or so than. Stuff like the old Batman and Superman movies that actually were fun.
Well, the Marvel movies at least are lighter than the DC movies, even if they aren't all light and cheer. Ant-Man was a pretty long shot from grimdark, for example. Guardians of the Galaxy was just pure fun for the most part.
It's a strange world. Let's keep it that way.
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

The Marvel movies have always been a nice balance of fun and seriousness.
Iroscato
Jedi Council Member

Post by Iroscato »

Crazedwraith wrote:The Marvel movies have always been a nice balance of fun and seriousness.
I'm totally up for a grander, more operatic take on superheroes as BvS was attempting to do, but for fucks sake, a smile every now and then wouldn't hurt. But really, the main problem with the movies was trying g to cram in one film what Marvel did over 5-6. Overall I enjoyed it though, I'd give it a 7/10. I'll give the Ultimate Cut a go.
Yeah, I've always taken the subtext of the Birther movement to be, "The rules don't count here! This is different! HE'S BLACK! BLACK, I SAY! ARE YOU ALL BLIND!?

- Raw Shark

Destiny and fate are for those too weak to forge their own futures. Where we are 'supposed' to be is irrelevent.

- SirNitram (RIP)
Purple
Sith Acolyte

Post by Purple »

The chief problem for me with the Marvel vs DC situation is that frankly I don't know which is which. And yes, I know people keep telling me. But to me the whole superhero comicbook thing is so far out of my usual interest range that I can't remember. Like the first reference I have for Batman is that guy in a rubber costume that had a movie where Arnold was he villain and had hilarious lines.

So yea, when a movie is set to air I can't really know who or what its going to be about. All I know is that it's not going to be as fun as the old batman movies.

Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

...you do know we have this thing called "the internet" that will tell you everything you need to know if you go to this place called "google", right?
It's a strange world. Let's keep it that way.
Purple
Sith Acolyte

Post by Purple »

Elheru Aran wrote:...you do know we have this thing called "the internet" that will tell you everything you need to know if you go to this place called "google", right?
If I cared enough to look this stuff up AND remember it I would not need to look it up to begin with.

Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Purple, you have no right to expect to enjoy things you don't care about and are too unmotivated to learn about.