Batman v Superman - Now with spoilers and plot discussion!

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

Iroscato
Jedi Council Member

Batman v Superman - Now with spoilers and plot discussion!

Post by Iroscato »

So I thought we may as well get an official thread going for what will almost certainly be THE event of 2016, provided the mayans weren't 4 years off (yeah, I made a 2012 doomsday joke, sue me. Don't care, am hyped as fuck.)
Main reason being, we have our first little teasey tease. Not much, just a couple of shots of the respective suits worn by the World's Finest, but the first full trailer will apparently be online by monday, so LET'S FACKING DO EEET.

Yeah, I've always taken the subtext of the Birther movement to be, "The rules don't count here! This is different! HE'S BLACK! BLACK, I SAY! ARE YOU ALL BLIND!?

- Raw Shark

Destiny and fate are for those too weak to forge their own futures. Where we are 'supposed' to be is irrelevent.

- SirNitram (RIP)
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Re: Batman v Superman - Official Thread

Post by Mr Bean »

That April 20th Teaser without the date confused the hell out of me.

As in OHSHIT they pushed it up to compete with Avengers?! Oh wait it's next month

"A cult is a religion with no political power." -Tom Wolfe
Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic »

Sigh... Looks like they're going for grimdark as hell.
Iroscato
Jedi Council Member

Post by Iroscato »

The Romulan Republic wrote:Sigh... Looks like they're going for grimdark as hell.
You got that from 20 seconds? Your powers of divination astonish me :P
(I kid, of course they're going for it. And all the better, says I)
Yeah, I've always taken the subtext of the Birther movement to be, "The rules don't count here! This is different! HE'S BLACK! BLACK, I SAY! ARE YOU ALL BLIND!?

- Raw Shark

Destiny and fate are for those too weak to forge their own futures. Where we are 'supposed' to be is irrelevent.

- SirNitram (RIP)
Lagmonster
Master Control Program
Master Control Program

Post by Lagmonster »

So, since I'm not in the know, is this Nolan "lost a fistfight to the Joker and two dogs" Batman vs. Man of Steel "no kryptonite in this universe, motherfuckers" Superman?

'Cause that sounds brief and boring.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Its not the Batman from the Nolan films. Different actor and, I presume, different story.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Actually, I kind of wish it had been Nolan's Batman. I'd have liked to see that character's story continued in some way, even though The Dark Knight Rises wrapped it up pretty well.
Iroscato
Jedi Council Member

Post by Iroscato »

Lagmonster wrote:So, since I'm not in the know, is this Nolan "lost a fistfight to the Joker and two dogs" Batman vs. Man of Steel "no kryptonite in this universe, motherfuckers" Superman?

'Cause that sounds brief and boring.
Nah, totally different universe for Batman. They're drawing a lot of inspiration from The Dark Knight Returns graphic novel, and I think there's a little from the Arkham games in the mix. Plus, we don't actually know if kryptonite doesn't exist in this universe. I could envisage some sort of mineral native to Krypton soaking in the atmosphere and red sun radiation and re-emitting it as a handy way for the MOSverse to approach it. It would fit with the scene where Clark first meets Zod and is badly affected by the Kryptonian atmospheric conditions.

- Raw Shark

- SirNitram (RIP)
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

Feh. Teasers aren't worth it. Trailers for trailers for trailers... fuck that.

Kryptonite sort-of exists, I think, given that Superman was incapacitated easily enough upon Zod's ship. So Batman can use that for his advantage. Figure out the Kryptonian atmosphere and gas Superman or something like that. Find out some magic mineral in the environment and use a bug-sprayer to dust Superman with it. Or let him fight with a giant robot and go off doing your own thing. If Batman is anything, it's a supreme problem-solver.
It's a strange world. Let's keep it that way.
Lagmonster
Master Control Program
Master Control Program

Post by Lagmonster »

Elheru Aran wrote:Kryptonite sort-of exists, I think, given that Superman was incapacitated easily enough upon Zod's ship. So Batman can use that for his advantage. Figure out the Kryptonian atmosphere and gas Superman or something like that. Find out some magic mineral in the environment and use a bug-sprayer to dust Superman with it. Or let him fight with a giant robot and go off doing your own thing. If Batman is anything, it's a supreme problem-solver.
That's a step in the right direction. My first thoughts were simply that Man of Steel's Superman felt like he'd been given such a massive upgrade in power compared to his previous film and television incarnations that just being clever wouldn't present a believable counter against a man who can instantly turn the entire city block you're standing in into a crater.
Lost Soal
Sith Devotee

Post by Lost Soal »

Lagmonster wrote:
Elheru Aran wrote:Kryptonite sort-of exists, I think, given that Superman was incapacitated easily enough upon Zod's ship. So Batman can use that for his advantage. Figure out the Kryptonian atmosphere and gas Superman or something like that. Find out some magic mineral in the environment and use a bug-sprayer to dust Superman with it. Or let him fight with a giant robot and go off doing your own thing. If Batman is anything, it's a supreme problem-solver.
That's a step in the right direction. My first thoughts were simply that Man of Steel's Superman felt like he'd been given such a massive upgrade in power compared to his previous film and television incarnations that just being clever wouldn't present a believable counter against a man who can instantly turn the entire city block you're standing in into a crater.
You do recall that the Reeves superman lifted continental plates moved the fucking MOON?
He's had that power since the start, he just never used it until Snyder fitted his concience with a dumb switch.
"May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places where you must walk." - Ancient Egyptian Blessing

Ivanova is always right.
I will listen to Ivanova.
I will not ignore Ivanova's recommendations. Ivanova is God.
AND, if this ever happens again, Ivanova will personally rip your lungs out! - Babylon 5 Mantra

There is no "I" in TEAM. There is a ME however.
Lagmonster
Master Control Program
Master Control Program

Post by Lagmonster »

Really? I only saw Reeves' Superman decades ago, so I forgot all of that. Somehow, MoS's Superman just looked more impressive. Was he actually underpowered comparatively?
Crown
NARF

Post by Crown »

Lagmonster wrote:Really? I only saw Reeves' Superman decades ago, so I forgot all of that. Somehow, MoS's Superman just looked more impressive. Was he actually underpowered comparatively?
Dude ... Reeve's turned back time by reversing Earth's spin, how could you forget that?!?! :lol:
Η ζωή, η ζωή εδω τελειώνει!
"Science is one cold-hearted bitch with a 14" strap-on" - Masuka 'Dexter'
"Angela is not the woman you think she is Gabriel, she's done terrible things"
"So have I, and I'm going to do them all to you." - Sylar to Arthur 'Heroes'
Lagmonster
Master Control Program
Master Control Program

Post by Lagmonster »

Well, fuck. Yeah. Okay, I got nothing. I just picture the images of Cavill's fighting Zod versus Reeves fighting Zod and Reeves' fight seemed weak by comparison.

Also, I thought he had just travelled backwards through time somehow, not that he reversed the whole planet.
Kane Starkiller
Jedi Council Member

Post by Kane Starkiller »

What sets Man of Steel apart is how consistently Kryptonian super strength and super speed is used in familiar environments. Spinning Earth backwards in time doesn't really connect with the audience as punching through cars and locomotives and ripping up asphalt as you wrestle on it.
Which kind of makes me wonder whether they'll go for an actual fistfight between Superman and Batman. I mean the impression I got from MoS is that Superman is Thor combined with Hulk times ten and Batman is just a guy in a rubber suit. They'll have to reinvent Batman or backtrack on the established superspeed aspect of Superman fights.
But if the forces of evil should rise again, to cast a shadow on the heart of the city.
Call me. -Batman
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Well, is Superman at all likely to fight all-out against Batman? He did commit murder once under extreme circumstances, but he isn't fond of it.
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

The most interesting me vs Clark fights were the ones where I barely qualified as a speed bump. ('Hush' and the animated 'Justice League:War' for example). In a direct confrontation between us I want to see him effortlessly beat me, because I am that outclassed. I totally fail to see why we have to have a fight where it looks like I might actually win (I lost the one in DKR in the end and that was with pulling out all the stops, Oliver's assistance, and against a Clark that was weak as a kitten compared to his usual self thanks to just having saved the world). Why not have a fight where he absolutely dominates me but doesn't seriously hurt me because, as TRR said, that's not his way, while I don't seriously hurt him because I plain have no means of doing it and we eventually figure out that actually, we're not the enemy?
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
Tribble
Sith Devotee

Post by Tribble »

Here's how a good Batman/Superman fight plays out:

[youtube] https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wkFzXkpjXmM [/youtube]

And how does Batman stop the fight?

Green Lantern: This guy is going to kill us!
Batman: No, he won't. You bruise, but you don't kill... do you Clark?
Superman: ...You've made your point.

Now THAT's how Batman should be resolving a fight with Superman, by quickly figuring out that he doesn't need to fight in the first place. And if it weren't for Green Lantern, I doubt there would have been any fight at all.
"I reject your reality and substitute my own!" - The official Troll motto, as stated by Adam Savage
GuppyShark
Sith Devotee

Post by GuppyShark »

I am liking what I am seeing. Lots of skepticism about Supes and his effect on the world.

The glow in Bats' eyes tells me they are going full DKR here.
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

Guppyshark are you referring to the leaked trailer?
The leaked trailer
Someone phone recorded it off the sneak preview, it was on Youtube for an entire hour before getting taken down. By that point it had been uploaded to about 123502130234 other websites.

"A cult is a religion with no political power." -Tom Wolfe
Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
Crown
NARF

Post by Crown »

Mr Bean wrote:Guppyshark are you referring to the leaked trailer?
The leaked trailer
Someone phone recorded it off the sneak preview, it was on Youtube for an entire hour before getting taken down. By that point it had been uploaded to about 123502130234 other websites.
I smirked when the picture went blurry just as Affleck came on screen; 'see, even the phone knows Affleck was the wrong choice as Batman!'

:mrgreen: :lol:
Η ζωή, η ζωή εδω τελειώνει!
"Science is one cold-hearted bitch with a 14" strap-on" - Masuka 'Dexter'
"Angela is not the woman you think she is Gabriel, she's done terrible things"
"So have I, and I'm going to do them all to you." - Sylar to Arthur 'Heroes'
Iroscato
Jedi Council Member

Post by Iroscato »

Fuck me, that looks amazing. Don't even care, haters can go swivel. Still can't wait for the HD release :D

- Raw Shark

- SirNitram (RIP)
Iroscato
Jedi Council Member

Post by Iroscato »

I CAME. I SAW. I CAME AGAIN.

- Raw Shark

- SirNitram (RIP)
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

They seem to be setting up Batman as a xenophobic villain. Can't say I like that.

I do like that they're getting into the social/political implications of Superman's existence.
Kane Starkiller
Jedi Council Member

Post by Kane Starkiller »

Russian rocket overhead press. Awesome :D
I assume that happens at the beginning showing Supes helping the humanity intercut with him maybe interfering where he shouldn't.
I wonder what's up with the "SWAT" team with "S" shoulder logos. They seem to be kneeling in front of Superman. Are they some kind of zealots worshipping him or just a security detail assigned to keep him locked up?

The impression I get from the trailer is that Batman is the one going for a confrontation with Superman but it could still go either way.
But if the forces of evil should rise again, to cast a shadow on the heart of the city.
Call me. -Batman