Batman v Superman - Now with spoilers and plot discussion!

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Re: Batman v Superman - Official Thread

Post by Gandalf »

ray245 wrote:
RogueIce wrote:
ray245 wrote:The movie is probably going to bomb at the box office, in the sense that it could not generate sufficient profits.
Well, that is definately not the case at all.
There's been a number of media sources saying this movie needs to make close to a billion just to see any reasonable profit because of its budget and marketing.
BOM: Over four hundred million thus far.

I'm certainly planning to go again.
"Oh no, oh yeah, tell me how can it be so fair
That we dying younger hiding from the police man over there
Just for breathing in the air they wanna leave me in the chair
Electric shocking body rocking beat streeting me to death"

- A.B. Original, Report to the Mist

"I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."
- George Carlin
Guardsman Bass
Cowardly Codfish

Post by Guardsman Bass »

I think it's a shoe-in for $1 billion, unless the second week drop-off is huge (and worldwide).

My comment to Crown made me think. Is Superman so fast that if a bomb started to go off, he could fly over to it, rip out the wiring and scatter the components of the bomb, and fly away all in the time just before it blows up?
“It is possible to commit no mistakes and still lose. That is not a weakness. That is life.”
-Jean-Luc Picard

"Men are afraid that women will laugh at them. Women are afraid that men will kill them."
-Margaret Atwood
ray245
Emperor's Hand

Post by ray245 »

Crown wrote: That scene caused Clark to have a crisis re-examining if he should be 'The Superman' or not. He admitted to Lois that he was doing this out of some promise/guilt to his now dead father, and he wasn't certain if he didn't see the bomb because it was shielded or he didn't even look for it or maybe he didn't want to see the bomb at all which makes it even worse. I mean you didn't see the pain in his face when we cut to inside the blast radius and he's just looking like his about to die of regret? Further we have the CNN anchor telling us that the initial investigation is showing that Wally was the bomber, we have the scene with him and Lois on the balcony, the scene with him imagining/talking with his father on the mountain, the scene with Perry, Lois and Jenny where Jenny is reading out loud that 'we (the public) are left to wonder wether Superman knew about the bomb, and did nothing, or was unaware of it showing he is fallible' from the article they're going to run in the Daily Planet.

If this was a Superman movie I would agree with you, it should have been explored further, but it's not. This movie had so much to do that it had move forward. But to say it was 'forgotten' isn't correct at all.
If this movie want us to care about Superman as a character, then it needs to be explored further. Especially in a movie where you are supposed to root for one hero, you want to make the audience understand the character and his world better.

See above. I think in an earlier post you mentioned that this movie should have been 4 or 5 different movies (or you felt it was like 4 or 5 crammed into one). And honestly I agree with that assessment. It just doesn't bother me, because frankly I felt for what this movie was set up to do (build the DC Cinematic Universe), it did much better than I could have hoped for.
Maybe to fans who are already familiar with the DC universe. But for fans that are unfamiliar with all the DC heroes, they need to be given a strong reason to be immersed into the world as a whole. A movie should not rely on the audience being able to fill in all the backstories and get excited because their favourite comic-book hero is finally depicted on the big screen.
It has a < 30% critic rating on Rotten Tomatoes and has beaten every single other opening weekend WB have ever had, ever. It's pulled in just under half a billion dollars and there are still two more days of the Easter long weekend. It's doing fine.
Superman Returns, TASM 2, Spiderman 3 all made a profit and the studios still rebooted the franchises. If the box office drop office is too big, studio will be worried. The audience might not return for the Justice League sequel.

Zack Synder should not be directing any DC movies if WB is seriously about building a franchise.
Humans are such funny creatures. We are selfish about selflessness, yet we can love something so much that we can hate something.
NecronLord
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom

Post by NecronLord »

Guardsman Bass wrote:I think it's a shoe-in for $1 billion, unless the second week drop-off is huge (and worldwide).

My comment to Crown made me think. Is Superman so fast that if a bomb started to go off, he could fly over to it, rip out the wiring and scatter the components of the bomb, and fly away all in the time just before it blows up?
Once the explosion has started, the explosive chain-reacts. He'd need to instead stop the actual explosive material, like if he had say, super-cold breath or something.
Superior Moderator - BotB - HAB [Drill Instructor]-Writer- Stardestroyer.net's resident Star-God.
"We believe in the systematic understanding of the physical world through observation and experimentation, argument and debate and most of all freedom of will." ~ Stargate: The Ark of Truth
RogueIce
_______

Post by RogueIce »

Guardsman Bass wrote:And why the hell didn't Superman do anything in the room except stand there? He's going to hear the goddamn bomb start to go off before anyone else in the room, so he could literally jump on the guy and smother most of the explosion - or rip the wiring out of the bomb before it blows.
Because at the time he wasn't acting with "nerd competence" on his side? I think it's pretty clear that he was off his game, preoccupied with other things and just failed to notice and/or pay attention to any signs that might have warned him of impending danger. He even laments this fact to Lois later, as Crown described it:
Crown wrote:That scene caused Clark to have a crisis re-examining if he should be 'The Superman' or not. He admitted to Lois that he was doing this out of some promise/guilt to his now dead father, and he wasn't certain if he didn't see the bomb because it was shielded or he didn't even look for it or maybe he didn't want to see the bomb at all which makes it even worse. I mean you didn't see the pain in his face when we cut to inside the blast radius and he's just looking like his about to die of regret?
Crown wrote:and dragging a capsized ice breaker to safety
Thanks, that was the scene I was wondering about. I had kind of crappy seats so probably missed quite a bit of visual detail and just didn't realize that's what he was actually dragging.
"How can I wait unknowing?
This is the price of war,
We rise with noble intentions,
And we risk all that is pure..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, Forever (Rome: Total War)

"On and on, through the years,
The war continues on..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, We Are All One (Medieval 2: Total War)
"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear." - Ambrose Redmoon
"You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain." - Harvey Dent, The Dark Knight
ray245
Emperor's Hand

Post by ray245 »

Gandalf wrote:
ray245 wrote:
RogueIce wrote: Well, that is definately not the case at all.
There's been a number of media sources saying this movie needs to make close to a billion just to see any reasonable profit because of its budget and marketing.
BOM: Over four hundred million thus far.

I'm certainly planning to go again.
There seems to be a number of people that aren't as keen as you.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/robcain/201 ... 0a58cf6d72
Indeed, according to the figures I’ve compiled from Boxofficemojo.com, Batman v Superman has set a new record for the worst Friday-to-Sunday drop for a superhero movie release in modern North American box office history. In dropping 55% from its $82 million Friday debut to its $37 million gross on Sunday, it pummeled all prior records for weakness in theatrical staying power. It even beat the nearly universally reviled and now long-forgotten Fantastic Four reboot, which dropped a comparatively modest 48% across its opening weekend in the summer of 2015.

A strong opening due to this being a hyped movie doesn't necessary mean it will make decent profits in the long run. Of course, it could very well reach a billion due to its huge opening, but a massive drop will worry the studios. The audience that were disappointed in this movie might not return for the opening night of the Justice League movie.
Humans are such funny creatures. We are selfish about selflessness, yet we can love something so much that we can hate something.
Ziggy Stardust
Sith Devotee

Post by Ziggy Stardust »

I mean, this movie was a bloated mess full of plot holes, logical inconsistencies, terrible writing, and other general stupidity. So, in that sense, it's pretty much exactly the same as every major super hero movie of the past few years. Not to say that it wasn't enjoyable in a way, but I am really shocked to see anyone praising the plot given that it was clearly cobbled together by a group of people who may or may not have had any idea what the other people were actually doing.

I am putting the rest of this post into spoiler tags just to be safe (and because the forum gets buggy if you try to use multiple spoiler tags in a post), though I don't think I do reveal anything super egregious:
Spoiler
The entire theme of Superman's guilt for the destruction in "Man of Steel" is completely undermined by the fact that the action sequences in this movie cause massive amounts of collateral damage, as well. Hell, Batman casually murders at least a dozen people during the car chase sequence. It was also bizarre that the movie was more outraged about Superman's actions in the desert than the devastation of Metropolis, Bruce Wayne himself notwithstanding. The final fight scene also had its share of wanton destruction with no apparent consequences, or even grief shown by the characters. In their defense, PART of that fight was said to take place in an abandoned area where nobody was living ... though, this is also rather dubious as a premise because in a city as poor and crime-ridden as Gotham is portrayed, the abandoned areas are going to be full of squatters and homeless folk ... but who cares if THEY die in a massive explosion, right?

I like that the movie WANTED to talk about this theme, but it did a piss-poor job of actually doing it. It felt more like it was shoe-horned in as the reason for Batman to be angry at Superman, then set up a bunch of big-budget action sequences that also just destroy fucking everything, rather than as something that they meant from the beginning to be a central message of the film. It was half-assed at best.

That was my biggest issue. Some others:

-Lex Luthor. They really didn't give him any motivation beyond "walking evil plot device". Unlike Bruce Wayne, they never gave him any reason to actually be angry at Superman, and they painted him as enough of a psychopath (in fact, it felt like they were trying too hard at times to make him like The Joker, which made him feel forced and flat) that there's no logical reason why he would actually care about the deaths of innocents. They didn't even bother giving him the generic Lex Luthor motivation of using alien technology to get rich or powerful. He literally just shows up and decides that he wants to have a Superman killing weapon, then mumble mumble mumble create a giant mutant monster? There was no rhyme or reason given for any of his actions other than unfocused spite.

-Batman's vision/prophecy/Mad Max rip-off. This sequence was cool, but incredibly out of place, especially when The Flash gave Batman his warning. Now, I know that this sequence had a bunch of comic allusions that give it more context, and it is clearly something that they are going to return to in the later films, but that doesn't excuse how half-assed it was. It came completely out of nowhere and then is never referenced again during the movie. It wouldn't even be that hard to tie it into the plot a little better: just off the top of my head, they could have had when Batman is looking at the files on Lex Luthor's computer he sees the video of The Flash and recognizes him as the person giving him the warning. The way it was handled just felt like a shoe-horned in fan service reference that had no actual bearing on the plot, and was mostly utterly inscrutable unless you are already deeply familiar with the DC mythos. Hell, I would bet most people had no idea that was The Flash giving Batman the warning, because they didn't make it easy to identify him. I didn't recognize him at all, and thought that he looked completely and utterly different from the character they show later in the film as The Flash; I only gathered that it was The Flash because I know a decent amount about the back-stories involved, which most audience members won't (indeed, all of the friends I went to see the movie with thought that sequence was unnecessarily confusing and irrelevant). Again, this is something that might be less egregious when put in the context of the later films which will surely more specifically reference this event again, but it was still really clumsily glued into the middle of the story with no apparent attempt to make it fit in coherently.

-Lois Lane. Why do so many of these Superman movies do such a terrible job making her anything but a damsel-in-distress walking plot device? It shouldn't be THAT hard to make her character more interesting and/or useful. As it was, they just had her blundering into danger for Superman to rescue her. They attempted to give her some agency with the whole investigation of the bullet subplot, but it ends up being a complete non sequitir because she can't get to Superman in time to warn him before the bomb goes off (and, naturally, is never referenced again thereafter, and she again goes back to being a personality-less damsel-in-distress).

-The Daily Planet. What the fuck is up with that place? Why is the editor in chief such a worthless sack of crap? At one point in the movie he is looking for Clark, and can't find him, and makes a comment that implies that this is a constant issue. So ... Clark is an anonymous small time reporter (one not even trusted to do good stories) that his boss constantly has a hard time tracking down, and who doesn't even do his damned job anyway (the empty copy that he gets called out for). How the hell is he not fired?

Then, related to Editor Morpheus, the absolute stupidest moment in the movie, and one of the stupidest moments I have ever seen in ANY movie, is when Lois Lane wants to get a helicopter to take her to where Batman vs. Superman is going down. This is literally how the conversation goes down:

Lois Lane: "I need a helicopter."
Morpheus: "We can't afford a helicopter."
Lois Lane: "It's not for work."
Morpheus: (pause) "Get her a helicopter!"

I mean ... what? Why the fuck did any of that happen? If you want to get Lois Lane to the fight, have her convince the news/traffic helicopter to take her there, instead of having a bizarre conversation where the editor in chief for no reason decides to spend money on a helicopter as a personal favor mere seconds after explicitly saying that the Daily Planet can't afford it.
Shannon
Padawan Learner

Post by Shannon »

I saw it last night and loved every second of it, even more than SW:TFA (which I had mixed feelings about the first time I saw it).

However, getting beyond my initial reaction and considering it from other points of view, I can see why some people would be unhappy with it (I spent a lot of time writing this so several others have already said the same thing. I am not Me-Too-ing). Big chunks of the movie were definitely made with the fans in mind rather than the wider audience and in that regard it differs significantly from the Marvel CU. Bruce's dream sequences were fantastic from a fan perspective but some parts of them probably would have confused me if I went into the movie knowing nothing about the wider DCU. While the movie centers around Clark and Bruce, it clearly has the purpose of introducing characters from the wider DCU, especially when Diana is reading what's on Bruce's drive full of stolen information. This wider referencing in itself is not new - for example, the MCU regularly teases other characters or at least makes reference to them (whether in the main film or mid/post credits scenes). In addition, as the MCU progresses it gets harder to enjoy the movies as stand-alones because they clearly tie into a greater whole. The difference is that Marvel have now had several phases in which to build things up. They've built their audience as they go along. DC/WB hasn't.

It may be then that in this case, WB/DC tried to do too much, especially because the teasers were all built into the main story. Even if you didn't know about the wider universe, though, it should have been clear to the audience from Bruce's dream sequences that either Bruce is very disturbed (arguably true) or he is somehow receiving prophetic dreams of a future that is going to be very bad if he makes the wrong choice, or both. The problem is that the second and third possibilities are not explored/explained. If you are a fan, this is not an issue because you can fairly easily work out what's going on - even if it's unusual for the character. If you look at it from the wider audience perspective, the approach clearly didn't work for some people. I think that DCC/WB were trying to satisfy fans (check) while setting up their own franchise (content yes, execution not so much). I'd guess that commercially they felt that they had to rush it because the MCU is so much further along and that there is only so long that the superhero movie boom is going to last.

Themes - MoS had freedom of choice against the Platonic vision of society, plus genocide, plus power and responsibility. This movie continues with the power and responsibility theme but adds accountability and self-sacrifice. Despite the emphasis on what Jonathan Kent wanted Clark to do, I think Jor-El thought along the same lines (from MoS: "You can save her, Kal. You can save all of them."). There is a transition here from Superman seeing himself as primarily the sole survivor of Krypton living on Earth (and being alone in that) to being a citizen of Earth and what that entails in terms of the final choices he makes.

Sorry if the above is a little jumbled - I'm thinking and revising as I type :)

But please, the movie is far from being as bad as some make out. The acting was very good, especially for those characters who didn't get to say much. Clark is clearly frustrated and conflicted and Cavill gets this across very well. Adams was as good as ever and I actually liked her more here than in MoS, especially s she works out what's really going on. Both Affleck and Irons did a great job. Gadot was terrific. Eisenberg was - interesting, but I've never seen him before, so my comments are limited to his character (see below). And really, if you don't like Snyder, or the characters, then why go at all?

Anyway, on to the fun stuff - spoilers below.
Spoiler
Some in the audience I saw it with cried when Clark died. They also laughed at the jokes. Go figure.

Contrary to Bruce's rants, Clark is both courageous and very, very physically and mentally tough. Examples:
1. He doesn't have to do what he does, going out and saving people with no thought of reward. He certainly didn't have to show up to a Senate hearing to be accused and abused, regardless of how it ended. He does both simply because he has the idea that it's the right thing to do. Whether he gets this idea from Jonathan or not is explored and I think that we can safely conclude that it's not just from Jonathan (or Jor-El for that matter). Clark engages in introspection and self-examination and finally makes the ultimate sacrifice because it's the right thing to do. It was a very painful way to die but rather than try to get free, he finished the kill. Even if Doomsday (I'm going to use Lex's name for the creature and I think the writer's intent was obvious) hadn't speared him, merely using the kryptonite spear was causing Clark pain.

2. Despite sucking in lungfuls of kryptonite dust, Clark takes a hell of a beating from Bruce and still almost manages to kick his ass. it might even be that the kryptonite gas was hurting him more than what Bruce was doing. He didn't bleed until Bruce cut him with the spear. Despite what Bruce was doing to him, Clark still didn't try to kill Bruce - he just kept trying to knock some sense into him, despite how angry and in pain he was. If he'd wanted Bruce dead, he would've killed him the moment his powers kicked back in after the effects of Bruce's first grenade wore off. What's more, Bruce knew how screwed he was as soon as his fist armour began to break merely from hitting Clark. Without the second grenade, Bruce had no chance, and he knew it.

3. Even after all that, Clark still asks Bruce for help as he's about to be speared. His thought isn't for himself but for Martha. He had no way of knowing the effect Martha's name would have. Then Clark allies himself with Bruce because he knows what's really going on and he knows that Lex has played Bruce like a violin. He doesn't hold it against Bruce - instead, he trusts him with Martha's life.

4. Having endured all that, Clark then takes on Doomsday, even saving Lex in the process. He immediately tries to get Doomsday out of the city and into space, having learned from the first Battle of Metropolis. Then he gets nuked for his trouble. He survives that intact (in fact his suit is intact too - it doesn't show any sign of damage until Doomsday punches through it). It's unclear what the actual effect of the nuke was on him - he's unconscious, not breathing and looks kind of like he did in Miller's The Dark Knight Returns, but here, as then, is revived and revitalised by sunlight. He's then able to charge back into the fight, seemingly none the worse for wear. Even the scar Bruce gave him is gone. He does all this despite everything else that's happened to him because it's the right thing to do - he's a hero and that's what heroes do.

5. Next, Clark deliberately exposed himself to kryptonite twice in order to finish Doomsday. The first was of course when he dived back into the pool to retrieve the spear, an act which could've been fatal in itself. As above, the second was in taking up the spear and using it. The kryptonite itself must have come as an incredible shock to Clark, having only been crippled this way before in a Kryptonian environment.

6. Finally, the last couple of frames suggest he isn't 100% dead. The soil on the casket floated upward just as the screen went to black.

There are also useful hints as to the nature and extent of Clark's powers in the DC CU. He is strong enough to tow a large ship lying on its side while walking across the ice. However, it would've been quicker to pick it up and fly with it, but he doesn't, so it seems likely he can't. He's very, very fast, but possibly not fast enough to stop the bomb from going off in the Senate. He wasn't ready for it - he didn't seem like he'd even considered the possibility, so focused was he on why he was there. But he didn't automatically detect it either. He's fallible, which we knew.

The varied reactions to him from the public and the press are interesting. Some are debating what he should and shouldn't be doing. Some seem surprised that he's fallible. But if you start with the premise that someone is infallible, shouldn't they be allowed to do whatever they want? If not, then it's ridiculous to think that he should automatically be able to prevent any catastrophe. Humans!

Bruce is complex. I liked Alfred's point that he was accomplishing more as Bruce than as Batman. Bruce's approach to the use of force is interesting. At times he has no qualms about simply blowing people away, especially when in the Batmobile (and man that thing is tough) or Batwing. At others, he could kill but doesn't. He's always improving his gear and Alfred is as competent as ever. It remains to be seen what the source of Bruce's dreams was. Still, for all his brilliance and skill, his flaws make him predictable by Lex, who winds him up and points him in Clark's direction. Lex made it clear in his comments to Clark that he knew that Bruce was Batman, and that was key to pushing his buttons. I once met Dylan Horrocks, who wrote Batgirl for a while including during the War Games arc. He said that in his opinion Batman was nuts, comparing him to Dick Cheney and Donald Rumsfeld, and that's certainly how Bruce comes across at times. Still, once he got shocked out of his near-psychotic state, he certainly stepped up.

Lex also knew Clark's identity, which was not that big a jump. In MoS, Clark says to Swanwick that he's from Kansas. The Kryptonian shuttles fly directly to the Kent farm and are tracked by the US military. Lois did the research and that could be replicated. It's not difficult.

Lois herself was well done. She figured things out very quickly through nothing more than investigative reporting. She knew she'd been used. I wonder, though, about what people know about her relationships with Clark/Superman. People know that Lois and Superman are an item or at least close (they've been seen more than once). Do people at the Planet have any inkling that she and Clark are also close? Even if Lois and Clark aren't cohabiting he has a key to her apartment. How is she going to explain the ring?

The portrayal of Lex was new and I thought interesting. I remember back in post-Crisis 1986 when Lex was changed from a mad scientist angry over the loss of his hair to a sinister businessman. I thought that was strange at the time and it took me a while to get used to it. I regard this as a similar change. Lex clearly doesn't like anyone having any kind of power over him and says as much, which is very much the same as his post-Crisis self. He is behind pretty much everything in the movie, and if he isn't, he nearly always finds a way to turn it to his advantage. That said, he is clearly as disturbed as he is brilliant. I wasn't quite sure about why he created Doomsday except as an insurance policy against Superman, should Bruce fail (since Lex no longer had kryptonite). It became pretty clear why the Kryptonian High Council forbade such experiments! I wonder how they dealt with creatures like that (if they ever had to)?

Diana was wonderful (no pun intended). She's been around for a long time and is very well informed. She's a very good foil to Bruce, as she should be. The look of "Finally, a challenge!" on her face when Doomsday knocked her across the battlefield and she sat up was priceless. It wasn't clear if she could fly or was just really good at leaping (and the same was true of Doomsday). Her bracelets are capable of deflecting heat vision/breath and her shield was easily tough enough to deal with the worst that Doomsday could do (I wonder where she stowed her sword and shield, actually - they were clearly too big for her carry-on luggage). That sword must be incredibly sharp and/or enchanted for her to cut Doomsday's hand off. Her strikes to its legs hurt it but didn't seem to do much more than that (she was clearly trying to sever tendons/muscles). Interesting that she's killed things from other worlds before.

As to the future - was that a re-imagined Mother Box that Dr Stone used to create Cyborg? I think it was, for two reasons. We know that it's highly likely that the New Gods are coming, courtesy of Bruce's dream featuring parademons (and I think that was not an explosion but a Fire Pit off to his right when he emerges from the shelter - I'll have to watch it again). Not only that, but Lex's parting remarks in his cell indicated that he had been in contact with, or was being influenced by, an outside force, probably Darkseid. He kept saying "ting, ting, ting, ting." Perhaps that's a reference to the sound a Mother Box makes? Apparently there was also a Boom Tube, but I missed that.
That's a lot more than I meant to write, but oh well :)
"An elegant weapon, for a more civilised age".
- Obi-Wan Kenobi
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Others have detailed what I liked about this movie, far better than I could have. This movie worked for me. After I pay my bills, I may see if there's enough left over to hit the 3D for a second view. I give it a solid 3.5/5, and if you've not seen it yet, Go See It. It is worth the price.
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
ANGELUS
Padawan Learner

Post by ANGELUS »

WB released this deleted scene today:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=you ... -MUzvASr8s

Watch it at your own risk as it could be a very big spoiler for those who haven't seen the movie yet.
~ Some men just want to watch the world burn ~
Shannon
Padawan Learner

Post by Shannon »

What/who the hell was that thing?

I'm betting that given my earlier (spoilered) comments it has something to do with Spoiler
Darkseid, if not Darkseid himself, because those three cubes look a lot like the box that Dr Stone had. The title of the clip is 'Communion' after all.
"An elegant weapon, for a more civilised age".
- Obi-Wan Kenobi
ANGELUS
Padawan Learner

Post by ANGELUS »

My money is on...
Spoiler
Steppenwolf, one of Darkseid's generals (and uncle)

http://dc.wikia.com/wiki/Steppenwolf
~ Some men just want to watch the world burn ~
Kojiro
Jedi Master

Post by Kojiro »

Saw it yesterday with a friend. We were both entertained, but neither of us is buying a blu ray copy. I'm actually still a little mixed because I felt there were things that were done so damn right but then things I did not like. I may have to see it again to decide either way but I'll wait until it's available on Netflix or something. I will say that the things I had issues with, by and large, weren't objectively bad things like poor editing or blurred, messy fight scenes (like Transformers) but things that my own personal tastes didn't like. For example Gadot doesn't at all work for me as Wonder Woman- not because she didn't do a decent job but because she doesn't fit my purist ideas of what WW should look- and sound- like on screen (which is basically the JLU cartoon version).

So no real substantial complaints but it missed hitting the sweet spot for me personally.
Dragon Clan Veritech
streetad
Padawan Learner

Post by streetad »

Apart from all the Snyderness, the main thing that didn't work for me was Lex Luthor. His actions throughout the film make no sense, beyond 'I'm evil and I don't like Superman'.
Spoiler
Why give your henchmen highly traceable experimental bullets to murder some African villagers? Was anyone really going to believe that Superman machine-gunned a bunch of people including his Pal, Jimmy Olsen (yes, according to the credits that CIA agent who gets shot in the face was Jimmy Olsen)? Similarly, how could he expect anyone to believe Superman was to blame for blowing up the Capitol (at a hearing which was being televised live)? Why leave his random henchwoman to die in the blast?

No explanation of why he was collecting information on superhumans (and designing appealing logos to help with their branding). No explanation of how he worked out that Clark Kent is Superman. And to top it off, no explanation at all of why it would benefit him to create an unstoppable, uncontrollable rage monster. What was the plan after it killed Superman?

The only possible explanation is that he is a complete raving lunatic, as someone said more like the Joker than any version of Luthor I have ever come across. IMO, he works best as the kind of 'peak human' virtuous villian who could do so much to improve the world if he could just get over his obsession with Superman. They gave a lot of that version of Luthor's motivation to Bruce Wayne in this film.
Crown
NARF

Post by Crown »

Someone asked me why I didn't use spoiler tags in a previous post; this is why it makes these types of conversations way fucking harder then they need to be.
Spoiler
There isn't a CSI Africa to expose him. He literally got caught because Lois brought one back with her by accident. Finch's hearings clearly blamed the aftermath of 'Superman's actions' on Superman regardless if he did kill all those people. When the terrorist/local Warlord's mercenary forces just vanished the government forces came in and punished the villagers for collusion with the General. This is given in the testimony to the Senate hearing. And it's also a reason Finch has a problem with Superman when he intervenes in 'state level actions'; unintended consequences.

He didn't need everyone to believe that Superman was the bomber. He needed Bruce to believe that Wallace was the bomber; "YOU LET YOUR FAMILY DIE". It fuels Bruce's rage.

We know that he's pushing for the "Meta-Human thesis" angle as a way to weaponise Kryptonite and other research, so that was covered in his first introduction why he is researching and collecting his information on other superhumans.

Regarding the Doomsday part; we can't decide at this point. They just released a scene that was cut from the movie called 'Collusion' which shows either Lex being in communication with someone from Apokolips or learning about them from the Kryptonian database. A victim of the 30mins they had to cut from this movie.
streetad wrote:Apart from all the Snyderness, the main thing that didn't work for me was Lex Luthor. His actions throughout the film make no sense, beyond 'I'm evil and I don't like Superman'.
Lex's motivation was spelled out in by Lex himself; he hates and fears anything more powerful than himself. He learned that from his father's fists.

EDIT :: One more thing; Jesse's performance is a real divisive issue with critics. Even with those that fucking hate this movie you have some of them praising him and others loathing him (and adding to the tally of why this is the worst movie ever). I liked his performance and I explained why earlier but the summary is as follows; it is hinted (but not confirmed) that he isn't Lex Luthor son of Lionel Luther, he is Lex Luthor Jnr and the other reason is because of the roof top scene and the way he trapped Senator Finch with "Granny's Peach Tea".

Now I fully understand that I can be in the minority in this, and all I did in the spoiler tags was to 'correct' some things you may have missed; you're perfectly in your rights to still not like Jesse's Luthor performance. That, I can't change any more than you can change the way I felt about it.
Η ζωή, η ζωή εδω τελειώνει!
"Science is one cold-hearted bitch with a 14" strap-on" - Masuka 'Dexter'
"Angela is not the woman you think she is Gabriel, she's done terrible things"
"So have I, and I'm going to do them all to you." - Sylar to Arthur 'Heroes'
streetad
Padawan Learner

Post by streetad »

Apparently an earlier version of the script had Brainiac pulling Luthor's strings and also being responsible in some way for Bruce Wayne's visions. It's almost like they dropped that plot thread but left in a lot of the consequences anyway.

These are the kind of things you are willing to make allowances for if you love the film. Gene Hackman's Luthor was a pretty two-dimensional petty crook; every big-screen Batman apart from Adam West has pretty casually murdered someone at some point. The critically-acclaimed Dark Knight has some pretty major plot holes if you care to look for them.

The film was nowhere near as disastrous as a 29% rating on Rotten Tomatoes would suggest - in a way I might have enjoyed it more if it was. There's definitely the outline of a much better film trying to get out; I enjoyed Wonder Woman's extended cameo and think Affleck was a decent Batman. His interplay with Jeremy Irons worked well. It would have been nice if he didn't introduce himself by describing rescuing a couple of dozen sex-trafficked women as 'unproductive' or make most of his decisions based on stuff he imagined in a dream but you can't have everything. Both characters deserve a solo film not directed by Zack Snyder.

I suppose it just comes down to the fact that I personally dislike Snyder's style and these particular interpretations of pretty much ALL of the characters. It makes it much harder to overlook the flaws.
GuppyShark
Sith Devotee

Post by GuppyShark »

Kojiro wrote:I may have to see it again to decide either way but I'll wait until it's available on Netflix or something.

So no real substantial complaints but it missed hitting the sweet spot for me personally.

I ordered the Ultimate edition so you can watch my copy ;)

On Luthor:

It baffles me that people couldn't grasp his motivations. I felt like they were overdoing it with having Lex repeat his motivation constantly, but I see a lot of people stating that he had no motivation.
Lagmonster
Master Control Program
Master Control Program

Re: Batman v Superman - Now with spoilers and plot discussion!

Post by Lagmonster »

Spoiler tags are hit and miss, plus this is a discussion board, not a hide-the-discussion board, so from here on out all gloves are off and people can openly discuss any and all elements of the movie as desired.

If you haven't seen it yet, and want to be spoiler-free, you are probably dumb for having read THIS FAR without turning back.
Crown
NARF

Post by Crown »

Lagmonster; you the real MVP of this thread son!

Anyway I just really wanted to share this article from Forbes by Mark Hughes because when I was reading it I was basically nodding along so much I felt like I was turning into a bobble head toy.
Mark Hughes in Forbes wrote:Zack Snyder Loves Superman, And 'Batman V Superman' Proves It

Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice has sparked a great deal of debate among fans, critics, and audiences. The film broke records with its massive $420 million worldwide opening weekend, the largest ever for a superhero film and fourth-largest global opening of any sort of film in history. Some audiences — notably, the under-18 crowd and parents, as well as most 25-and-under viewers — gave it very high scores and are recommending it to family and friends, while overall audience scores averaged out to a “B” at Cinemascore. The critical reviews at Rotten Tomatoes have been highly negative, with a 29% overall score. My own review is very positive, as I loved the film and feel the negative reviews are wildly off-base.

One of the loudest complaints from some critics and fans has been the claim that Zack Snyder hates Superman, and that Batman v Superman proves it. This assertion hinges on such a dramatic misreading of the film, I’m frankly stunned that even some otherwise typically smart and insightful writers have bought into this myth and perpetuated it. So now, I’m going to completely debunk the claim, and explain to you how Batman v Superman in fact makes Superman’s goodness and idealism the centerpiece of the story, and how Zack Snyder clearly loves Superman’s character and honors him in this film.

Be warned, I’m going to discuss a lot of spoilers in this article, out of necessity. So if you’ve not seen Batman v Superman yet, read no further — but go see the film, and then come right back and finish reading!

The gist of the “Zack hates Superman” claim is, Superman is disliked and distrusted by society, is shown to be reckless and ineffective, is too brooding, and is widely mocked throughout the film. Perry White tells Clark Kent, “It’s not 1938, apples don’t cost a nickel,” Batman beats Superman into submission, sneering that Superman’s parents probably told him he was sent here for a reason. Superman tells Lois the “S” on his chest was a symbol of hope on his world, but that his world doesn’t exist anymore. These, then, are the examples of supposed proof Snyder hates Superman — the Perry White speech gets the most play when this argument is put forth, because it seems the clearest literal example of the film disparaging Superman’s idealism.

And of course, that’s precisely what it is, as is Batman’s violent attack against the Man of Steel and his little speech to him; as is the world’s skepticism in the film, and the anger so many characters feel toward Superman. Yes, those things are all meant to criticize Superman and what he stands for. The trick is, you’re supposed to realize they’re all wrong, because that’s the actual point of the movie — everyone mocking and criticizing Superman is wrong.

The world is cynical, skeptical, and jaded. War, poverty, violence, hatred — these are the daily realities for so many people, and even those in positions of so-called power realize how helpless they are to stop most of it. Lex Luthor’s remark about a person with knowledge being smart enough to realize they are powerless in the world is a crucial hint into his own psyche and how the scars of this lesson were beaten into him from a young age, for example. He articulates a truth, a knowledge about the powerlessness of mankind in the face of our own destructive impulses, and that we pretend toward power and knowledge to shield ourselves from those realities.

Bruce Wayne knows this as well. His entire arc is that of a man whose life is defined by feeling powerless, beginning as a child watching his parents murdered in the street for no reason at all and growing up to dedicate his life to fighting crime as Batman. He became a gardner, pulling up weeds in a garden already overrun by them, and now as an aging man he faces the harsh truth of his ineffectiveness, of the terrible losses despite his best intentions and best efforts. He has the knowledge to understand now that he’s always been powerless, that he never escaped that alley where he watched helplessly as his parents died. That’s why he’s become cruel, more violent, crossing lines he didn’t cross before. The world didn’t become better and safer, it just fought back twice as hard to remain corrupt, and so Batman keeps fighting harder in return, even as he feels his battle is hopeless in the end.

And now comes a man from the sky to put a fine point on all of it, a man who can stop suffering and injustice, a man of near limitless power. Superman holds up a mirror to Bruce, to Lex, and to the world, showing us what real power is, and showing us how the application of real power can be in service to absolute good if only we will allow it. But there was no Superman, no absolute good power, to rescue Lex from the abuse and perversions of his father, so why should the world now have a Superman? A good power that failed him, that left him to suffer, and that tries to represent hope in a world Lex sees as hopeless, is not a power he can trust or accept. It makes him all the more aware of his own powerlessness, and to overcome that feeling he will raise himself up like a God and drag the God down to the dirt, destroying the absolute good that Lex believes never existed in the first place.

Bruce meanwhile sees Superman in much the same way as Lex. There was no Superman to save Thomas and Martha Wayne, no Superman to help Batman pull up the weeds overrunning Gotham. Every “good” Bruce saw over the years, every person who supposedly fought for hope and justice, either died or became corrupted, or just gave up. He doesn’t believe in absolute good anymore, and so all he can see in Superman is absolute power that cannot be trusted because it exists in a world too cynical and damaged to allow such power to be good. Superman is a symbol of all of Batman’s failures, of his greatest fears come to life, and if all good has become corrupted eventually, then this absolute symbol of Batman’s helplessness and failure cannot be allowed to exist anymore. Superman will be destroyed, because Batman has become another of the “good” people who couldn’t remain good in a world this bad, even if he doesn’t (yet) realize he is one of those people he was talking about.

Lex and Bruce represent the world itself, a flawed and distrustful place that feels unworthy of absolute good and so cannot let itself dare to hope such good really exists. Idealism has been replaced with cold disillusionment even among the youth who are far too inexperienced and immature to truly feel as faux-jaded and cynical-chic as they pretend to be. Power always, inevitably becomes corrupted and used to perpetuate inequality, violence, oppression, exploitation, and other ills in our world, we say. So we reject hope, we reject the idea of a common good, because it’s not 1938 and apples don’t cost a nickel and the “good ol’ days” were never good for everybody after all.

Superman stands in stark contrast to that cynical world. He wants to be a symbol of hope, he wants to use his powers for good, he wants to inspire us to overcome our skepticism and learn to have faith again, to believe there will be good ol’ days in our future after all. So he gets up every day and goes out to save us, to redeem us all by himself, even when we tell him to stop and to go home. Superman is idealistic, and Batman v Superman demonstrates this time and again.

Clark Kent/Superman notices Batman’s vigilantism is mostly confined to the poorer neighborhoods, and that police mostly ignore Batman’s actions precisely because his targets are primarily in those poorer areas. Clark wants to raise awareness, to give voice to those people, because he feels it is the responsibility of society to stand up for those who need mercy and whose voices are ignored. He’s not just fighting for idealism and absolute good as Superman, he takes his lessons seriously and is trying to fight for the same idealism in his everyday life, and to inspire others to do so both as Superman and as Clark Kent.

When the world keeps questioning him, he says he will not stop fighting for what’s right. Are there unintended side effects of his actions? Yes, but we know the real truth — those side effects are caused by humanity, either as a conspiracy precisely determined to undermine the world’s trust in Superman, or as actual human reactions to Superman. When Superman intervenes around the world to help people, we all have a choice about how we can react. When countries choose to react with anger and violence against their own people, that is not because Superman’s good actions were at fault, it is because he didn’t fully appreciate how rotten humanity can be. He has faith in us, which is why he assumes we will eventually learn to have faith in him. He holds us in much higher regarded than we deserve, convinced in our basic goodness deep down in our hearts. The question is, will we be inspired to try to live up to his faith in us?

During the U.S. Capitol sequence, a crazed bomber destroys Congress to punish Superman and send the message that hatred and cynicism will always strike as long as Superman continues trying to inspire us. This is the moment where Superman’s true doubt about his role on Earth begins. His doubts arise because he has thus far insisted he won’t stop helping people and fighting for good, just because people blame him for side-effects caused by bad people. He cannot, he felt, predict such things and he cannot plan his actions based on assuming the worst in humanity — that’s contrary to his entire purpose, obviously.

Now, however, he realizes that the bombing is just a symbol of a bigger problem. He didn’t see the bomb that was right in front of him, he says, because he wasn’t looking. He didn’t assume the worst, he didn’t believe the world when the world tried to tell him repeatedly that it was cynical and rejected hope. He didn’t want to believe it, because he believed in his ideals. And he still does, but he no longer has the same level of faith that humanity can come to embrace his idealism too. He hasn’t entirely lost faith, but he’s struggling with it, and with the decision about how to respond. When Lois says the “S” is a symbol of hope to people, Superman replies, “It was on my world… but my world doesn’t exist anymore,” and he’s not simply talking about Krypton. He’s talking about the world he knew right here, the world as he saw it, the world he chose to have faith in during the film Man of Steel (a significant recurring theme in that film).

The question is simple: will the cynical world change him, or will he change the cynical world (the way Batman was changed by it, remember)?

Clark leaves, to think and explore his own heart and worldview. A Superman forced to confront his idealism amid a cynical world is not an abandonment of the traditional characterization, it is a reinforcement of it. It shows that yes, Superman can have his beliefs and idealism challenged, and in the end even in the face of a world that doesn’t want to change Superman will refuse to give up on us. In Batman v Superman, he wonders about the consequences of his actions and whether it is possible to stand for absolute good when the outcomes can often inevitably created complicated side effects.

When Clark sees his human father, Jonathan Kent, we get a story about how faced with a rising flood threatening to wipe out the family, Jonathan helped dig a trench and block the floodwater’s path. He was a hero for those actions, he saved the family farm, but the digging redirected the floodwater to another farm and destroyed it. Remember that this is in Clark’s mind and memory, so when he asks his father if he ever got over the bad dreams about the unintended consequences, Clark already knows the answer, because this conversation is all about Clark talking to himself. His father says yes, he was able to live with the consequences of his actions because he found faith again when he met Martha.

What is this about? It’s pretty straightforward, really — Jonathan couldn’t refuse to act, to save his family, and he did so without any expectation that saving his family would create a flood of action elsewhere that harmed other people. The flood did that damage, not Jonathan, and all he could do – all any of us can do — is act to do good and save people when we see it. If we know possible consequences, then we must think through our actions and make sure to consider those consequences and how to either divert them or live with them and continue having faith. Love, and having a life to live that shows us why we must act to do good, helps us have faith in ourselves and in the world. Because however dark the world becomes, however hard it can be to accept consequences of our actions when we know we’re doing the right thing but the world will blame us for it, we can have someone who makes it all worthwhile, someone who represents the good we know exists in this world. And that good is always, always worth fighting for.

Superman knows he cannot give up, knows he must always act and use his powers for good, and knows that Lois is the love of his life and represents all of the people who do look to him as a symbol of hope and goodness in the world. It is a simple message, but it resonates as clearly to me as anything in the film. So he comes back, and his return coincides with Lex putting his final evil scheme into motion. Lois is thrown off the building, but Superman is already back in town and saves her. He has come back, and immediately his choice to return presents him with a final challenge to his idealism — his mother will die unless he kills Batman.

It seems an impossible choice, and he remarks that no one stays good in this world, but this is clearly not literal since we see his true intention is to convince Batman to help him. He never tries to kill Batman, making it clear by literally saying it out-loud. In the end, he will die trying to convince Batman to help save Martha, rather than do Lex Luthor’s bidding and murder a hero he (Superman) has finally come to understand as a good man being corrupted by a cynical world (something Superman has been struggling with himself, which is why he now understands Batman).

Batman’s arc is that he finally is able to see Superman for who he is, as a man with a name and someone he loves and a mother he cares about. It’s one thing to objectively know that a living being has parents and an identity they use day to day, but that doesn’t mean we perceive them as a true person with whom we sympathize and empathize. Batman couldn’t see Superman that way, because of all of the pain and fear and sense of helplessness obscuring his vision. That was stripped away in that moment when he had to cross the final line and kill Superman — standing over Superman, ready to deliver the fatal blow, Batman tells himself, “You were never even a man,” a means of justifying the act. But instead, he stares down at a Superman rendered mortal and vulnerable, a man who’s final words are a plea to save a mother, and the words, “Save Martha,” resonate in Batman’s brain for obvious reasons (it is his own mother’s name).

That moment of confusion forces Batman to instantly relive his mother’s death, to feel that helplessness again for the ten thousandth or millionth time, and then the confusion gives way to realization and understanding that Superman is indeed just a man with a life and a mother he is trying to protect, and Batman’s world comes crashing down. He now knows that yes, he was the villain, he was another “good person” who didn’t stay that way. He was standing astride a man who represented hope and goodness, blaming that man for all of humanity’s failings and cynicism and hopelessness.

It’s quite a thing to look into a mirror and see your greatest enemy staring back at you. That, it turns out, was Batman’s true greatest fear, that instead of becoming a symbol to change the world, he had become another good person corrupted by that world instead. Now he knew it, without a doubt, and it almost drove him to murder a hero. Batman had to chose, in that moment, between continuing to be cynical and reject hope, or to have faith again and believe — having faith is something he hadn’t done in a long time, obviously, but here now is a small bit of hope to cling to, a lifeline, and he grabs it.

Superman and Batman have come full circle now, two heroes embracing hope, having faith that good will triumph over evil, and committing to fight for that idealism. Superman gives his life for it, dying for this world because he had faith we were worth the sacrifice — a powerful absolute force of good dying for a flawed world, to try to save us from ourselves (which is what Luthor of course represents, the side of the coin where we cannot be redeemed, versus Batman as the side that can be redeemed).

Thus if Man of Steel was very much mindful of Superman’s roots in Jewish religious history and the story of Moses (and the parallels are pretty clear, as they were in Superman’s actual comic book origins and history), Batman v Superman brings the character into the more common modern representation as a messianic Christ-figure. (This is, by the way, one of many examples of how Snyder’s Superman movies provide an overarching representation of Superman’s history and changes in comics over the decades, a point I touch on in my article about why Superman killing in Man of Steel was not unfaithful to the character.)

Batman v Superman isn’t mocking Superman’s idealism, it depends on it and uses it as the thematic basis for redeeming Batman and the entire world, and for leading us to the creation of the Justice League. The cynicism is intentionally framed as the world’s rejection of Superman, representing the modern real-life arguments about whether Superman is relevant and relatable to our real world, and the claims by a lot of people that Superman can’t be interesting because of his goodness and idealism. Batman v Superman argues that in a world with so few good guys who remain good, with so many reasons to give up and stop having faith, Superman’s idealism is more important than ever, more relevant than ever.

Batman doesn’t brand Lex Luthor in the end, notice. It’s a small thing, but it’s a hint that he is trying to change, trying to get back to being the man he used to be. He’s not there yet, granted, and he’s struggling with it, but he sees what must be done and his cynical distrust of superhumans is giving way to a willingness to reach out to them and ask them to help defend humanity by working together for the greater good Superman represented.

That Batman kills while saving Martha, and that perhaps these sequence would’ve resonated more as an example of Batman re-embracing faith and hope (due to Superman) if he’d saved her without killing anybody, is a valid viewpoint expressed by my friend Sean Gerber of Modern Myth Media. If anyone feels that way and would’ve been happier with the sequence, I won’t argue that their view is wrong, and I think it is in fact a very solid alternative point. But this is actually worth taking a few moments to address as an aside, since it relates to the point about Batman changing his behavior again after years of getting more cruel and violent due to the world changing him.

It’s important to note Batman is fighting a ticking clock to save Martha, and that this is frankly a world where there may not be any absolute “no kill” rule for Batman. After all, only ONE previous modern Batman film had a strict “no kill” rule — of the seven previous films starting with Batman in 1989 and continuing through The Dark Knight Rises, Batman killed directly or indirectly in ALL of them except Batman & Robin. In this new film, Batman v Superman, he only actually directly kills one person, the guy in the pickup truck firing the machine gun at the Bat-plane.

I’d note Batman shoots up the ground for several seconds, fair warning he’s going to shoot that truck, and the guy has a chance to clear out of the way and save himself but refuses. It’s notable that, if you watch the scene via the trailer and pause it right when the Bat-plane’s bullets strike the truck, the guy is in fact GONE. The truck is hit, blows up and flips in the air, and we never see the outcome, so the film sort of leaves it up to the viewer to interpret it as either “Batman just blew that guy up,” or — for those who are willing to suspend disbelief much farther to have mild plausible deniability — “Batman blew up that truck and the guys were all burned and critically injured but might not be dead since we didn’t see for sure, and maybe they were wearing body armor since Batman’s seeming skin-tight suit is armored.”

Anyway, I think we are supposed to assume those guys are likely dead, even if Batman never bothers to check. The point is, every other instance of someone dying is as a secondary outcome, a consequence caused by their own actions, not Batman directly killing them. Batman brands criminals, and other criminals sometimes kill those people in prison. Batman sees a thug about to toss a grenade, so Batman shoves another thug into the first guy and causes him to drop the grenade — the thug then tries to grab the grenade instead of running or rolling around the corner, and Batman can’t be said to have psychic ability to predict the future and how people will respond, so all he did was knock a guy backward who was about to toss a grenade. If that’s “murder,” then so was Batman setting fire to a room full of explosives at Ra’s house and leaving all those ninjas inside when it blew up.

Notice, by the way, this is about actions in service of good — saving Martha — and the consequences of actions arising from other factors. That’s a recurring theme in the film, and here Batman is taking actions to save Martha, that’s his intention, and to act on behalf of saving her within the few minutes of time he has left he is willing to accept consequences of his actions that might not be what he fully intends.

Which brings us to Batman shooting the flamethrower’s gas tank. Batman does NOT blow that guy up. Instead, Batman has a machine gun and could shoot the guy, but instead he sees the man will use the flame on Martha and so Batman choose to shoot the tank powering the flamethrower. This prevents the flamethrower from working, and the guy can shut off the flame and give up. But what happens? The guy turns the flame toward Martha, trying to fire it, and so the gas ignites in the air and blows up the tank. Batman dives atop Martha and protects her. This is no different from Batman diving at Harvey Dent in The Dark Knight and knocking Dent off the ledge. Batman in that scene was trying to act to save the boy’s life rather than leave it to chance, and he knows his action could cause Harvey’s injury or death — this is a major theme of that film, Batman and whether the Joker can force Batman to compromise his “one rule.” And the spirit of that rule is indeed broken at the end, a bittersweet and tainted victory for Batman.

My point is this: Batman does not in fact murder a bunch of people in Batman v Superman. Several people die as a side-effect of Batman’s actions, when those people making choices leading to their own deaths. Only once, when he shoots that truck and it blows up, can it be said Batman literally, demonstrably, directly killed someone (even if it leaves mild room for the grasp-at-straws interpretation that it’s like the A-Team TISI +% and those guys somehow survived). In that instance, I’d say Batman in this film doesn’t have a strict “no kill” rule clearly defined yet, he is still transitioning back to the hero who has faith and hope, that he gave the truck guy time to get out of the way instead of continuing to fight, and that Batman didn’t have time to risk fighting with those high-caliber machine guns when the clock was ticking down to Martha’s death.

That’s the main hope and faith Batman is demonstrating — he will save Martha, he will not fail Superman when Superman has put his own mother’s life in Batman’s hands based on that promise. Batman went from trying to kill Superman, to seeing Superman as a hero with a mom in danger and in need of rescue. Batman will over time become more of the hero he used to be, and avoid killing outright, I believe, with rare exceptions similar to in the comics (like when fighting some alien animal/monster threatening to mass murder people). That’s why he doesn’t brand Lex Luthor at the end of the film, that’s why he says he won’t fail Superman in death, and that’s why he wants to form the Justice League.

Zack Snyder honors Superman’s history and legacy in this film, by having the goodness and idealism of Superman dominant as an idea debated and argued throughout the story, until ultimately that idealism and goodness are what saves the world and becomes a great sacrifice to convince us all to have hope and faith again. Batman and the other heroes will be inspired by that goodness, that idealism, that sacrifice, and eventually Superman will of course return to life and join the other heroes.

Anyone arguing that these themes don’t exist, that Batman v Superman fails Superman, and that Zack Snyder “hates Superman” are simply not paying enough attention and are ignoring the most important and clearest narrative arc in the entire movie. It’s not coincidence that these scenes, this dialogue, and this overarching connectivity exists, nor that the characters’ arcs mirror one another, comparable and contrasting at different moments. I think a large part of the disconnect some reviewers and viewers feel toward this film arises directly from the fact the film presents interpretations and incarnations that don’t directly fit into any single purist preference for “the right way” to portray them. If you have only one Superman or one Batman you like, and/or if your conception of them lacks room for the other many interpretations over the decades, and/or if you are opposed to seeing a cinematic adaptation that actually attempts to reflect MANY eras and approaches to these characters, then that’s frankly going to affect your viewing experience and your opinion of this film.

Which is of course fine, since everyone is entitled to their opinion and to their preferences. No one preference is better than another, and we shouldn’t defend this film in a way that claims other people’s preferences and views are “wrong” or “not true fans” and so on. But what we can say, and what I think we in fact MUST say, is that this film’s interpretation and approach are likewise as valid as any other, are faithful to the comics, and do have deeper themes and characterization that give lie to any simplistic claim that it “hates” Superman or lacks substantive examination and representation of what Batman and Superman stand for.

These things exist in the film, they are important to understanding it, and Zack Snyder and the writers took pains to present this story and provide those themes. And any serious assessment of the film should recognize this, and address it, otherwise those reviews and assessments are quite frankly shallow in their examination and very mistaken in their conclusions.
You complete me Mr Hughes!
Η ζωή, η ζωή εδω τελειώνει!
"Science is one cold-hearted bitch with a 14" strap-on" - Masuka 'Dexter'
"Angela is not the woman you think she is Gabriel, she's done terrible things"
"So have I, and I'm going to do them all to you." - Sylar to Arthur 'Heroes'
Civil War Man
NERRRRRDS!!!

Post by Civil War Man »

streetad wrote:The film was nowhere near as disastrous as a 29% rating on Rotten Tomatoes would suggest - in a way I might have enjoyed it more if it was. There's definitely the outline of a much better film trying to get out
Rotten Tomatoes does require the proper context. A movie where the critics are universally only slightly unimpressed would rate lower than one where have think it's garbage and half think it's at least OK.

As for there being an outline of a better movie hiding in there, I heard one critic say there were the outlines of 5 better movies (Man of Steel 2, Batman, BvS, a Lex Luthor origin story, and the Justice League setup), and the biggest flaw was that they tried to cram all 5 into one film. Possibly out of impatience, since Marvel already has a several year head start.

For some reason, the reaction reminds me somewhat of the Hobbit movies. It seems to have the opposite problem (putting too much story in too small a space instead of excessive padding), but has a similar tragedy (a really strong portrayal of an iconic character that it's actually kind of sad that the rest of the movie didn't keep up.

Though, full disclosure, this impression is just from the reviews. Haven't seen it yet, so I can't give my personal opinion.
Bob the Gunslinger
Has not forgotten the face of his father

Post by Bob the Gunslinger »

For me, it was a lot like Godzilla 2014: a poorly made, tedious film followed by a great short film starring the title characters. Batfleck, Gadot WW and even Cavill were fun to watch, but they were given an awful lot of shit to work through for the nuggets of good stuff. Eisenberg played a great crazy, but a poor Lex Luthor.

At least the film left me wanting to see more...of WW and Batfleck in somebody else's movie.
"Gunslinger indeed. Quick draw, Bob. Quick draw." --Count Chocula

"Unquestionably, Dr. Who is MUCH lighter in tone than WH40K. But then, I could argue the entirety of WWII was much lighter in tone than WH40K." --Broomstick

"This is ridiculous. I look like the Games Workshop version of a Jedi Knight." --Harry Dresden, Changes

"Like...are we canonical?" --Aaron Dembski-Bowden to Dan Abnett
Kojiro
Jedi Master

Post by Kojiro »

GuppyShark wrote:I ordered the Ultimate edition so you can watch my copy ;)
Cheers dude, I may take you up on that (when it becomes available).

It's very odd. I *think* I'll come around to like it, since my brain tends to pick things apart less on repeat viewings and there's nothing technically I dislike about it. Hopefully it's one of those things you come to like as you adjust to it being the new version of something, at least for me.

I do still think WW needed to look a bit more like her JLA look and I'm not a fan at all of the new Flash (partly because I like Grant Gustan's version).

Also does anyone know if WW's sword is magical/high tech/otherwise special? Because it certainly seemed to kick ass.
Dragon Clan Veritech
Borgholio
Sith Acolyte

Post by Borgholio »

Also does anyone know if WW's sword is magical/high tech/otherwise special? Because it certainly seemed to kick ass.
I would assume it's magical, just like her lasso, shield, and bracers.
You will be assimilated...bunghole!
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

OK, watched this last night.

As a superhero/comic-book movie: 4.5/5. As a *movie*: 2, 3/5.

It's a very good movie for those who already know and enjoy the characters in their normal medium. They know approximately what's going to happen because of the history the various characters have, they probably kept up with news of the movie while it was in production, things like that. Lots of lovely imagery and comic-book moments. For example, the first time Wonder Woman shows up in costume, and catches Doomsday's eye-beam on her bracers, I wasn't expecting that-- I was expecting the bit with the shield from the trailers, which came later into the fight. So that was a nice touch. (And apparently now she can reflect the blast back at Doomsday with her bracers rather than just deflecting it? Interesting)

I also appreciated the new interpretations of the various characters. Wonder Woman in particular was well done, I thought-- understated, but stood well on her own. Was that Chris Pine in the photo with her? Sure looked like it. A 'hundred years ago' implies that she was in the world during WWI, but they looked more WWII-ish in the photo. Aquaman was... interesting, especially with the reflective eyes, but since you only saw him for a minute, there wasn't much to do there. The Flash bit though, meh. And while I like Cyborg, I think the whole "he's made via Mother Box" bit was a little bit too much out of left field. Not enough setup for that, and the whole "let's sit down and look at all these highly expository files at once" bit was kinda contrived.

As a movie in its own right, though... it's a bit disjointed.

I will preface this by noting that the caption device I was using was somewhat messed up apparently-- it kept missing lines here and there or running behind. Most annoying. Had it been functioning better, I may have enjoyed the movie and been able to overlook the minor issues.

One of the biggest problems? Luthor was fucking *annoying*. He didn't come off as a villain as much as he came off as a neurotic, stereotypical "genius with social issues". Smart, sure-- he was able to figure out who Superman was, and Batman as well, and tricked the Kryptonian ship into giving him control over it-- but annoying as fuck. The whole "let's shave Zod's fingerprints off and hack the ship with them" didn't make much sense, either. Granted I watched Man of Steel a pretty good while ago, so I don't know if that *could've* worked, but I kinda doubt it. Of course from a comic-book standpoint it makes perfect sense, as much as that kind of shit does in comic books anyway, but just... didn't work for me.

I can definitely see where posters say it's like 4 or 5 movies stuck together. A sequel to MoS, a new Batman movie, a setup for Justice League, and so forth. They were very obviously trying to hit some classic comic-book moments-- Dark Knight Returns, Death of Superman. A little *too* obviously for my taste.

While I liked the new Batman well enough, I felt that we aren't given enough history. He's been in Gotham for 20 years? OK... and apparently Robin got killed by the Joker... but where is all this coming from? We never actually see Gotham apart from a car chase (which was in Metropolis, wasn't it? Unclear) and an extremely brief sequence at the start of the movie. No real impression that it's some kind of crime-infested hellhole, like Perry implies. And for that matter, if Batman is so fucking awesome, WHY is it still a crime-infested hellhole after twenty years? He's pretty damn shitty at his job then. Mind you, I'm perfectly aware that this is in line with the comics, where he's pretty shitty at his job too when it comes down to it...

Geography: Gotham is *not* across the bay from Metropolis, goddamnit. Yes, I get the clear New York/Jersey City parallel. But Gotham is almost always in a Chicago-ish location, inland alongside a large river/lake. It's just a little too convenient that they're that close. AND, if they were that close... how was there no collateral damage from the Man of Steel fight? Yeah, no. I don't buy it.

One thing I did appreciate about this movie versus Man of Steel was that they had a little more color. Man of Steel was turned down so fucking much. This one, you could see that Superman's outfit is actually *blue* and *red*. That was nice.

The Congress hearing bomb: I figured Luthor wrapped the bomb in a lead casing or something, obviously concealing it within the guy's wheelchair. That said... it blows up half the Capitol? A bomb that could be concealed in an admittedly fancy and somewhat bulky wheelchair? Come the fuck on. A little too much. And what did he load it with, napalm? Bombs do not work like that. You want an excuse for Superman to be surrounded by fire, do a better job of it.

The Flash vision... OK I get that it's derived from Flashpoint or the original Crisis on Infinite Earths, that's cool. But was that even the fucking Flash? I know it was, but the dude was in some weird armor getup. Didn't even look all that much like Ezra Miller, either. Just kind of random and bizarre. And, unless you're a comics follower, it's not going to make a huge amount of sense to you.

The apocalyptic dream/vision that Batman has-- why. the fuck. is Batman now using GUNS? That's just wrong. (Yes, I know he has before. I still don't think it fits the current conception of the character) And I think it gives a bit too much away... to comic-book followers, who will know that we're looking at a Darkseid Omega symbol, that there are now fire-pits on Earth apparently, and that the flying creatures are Parademons, so apparently Darkseid conquered Earth or something, Batman is leading a Resistance of some kind, and Superman is on Darkseid's side (because that makes sense). And capable of casual murder, too. They didn't even give him fancy 90s shoulder pads for that sequence!

Together with the Mother Box/Cyborg, WW talking about how she's fought big bads before, and Luthor's last few words, it's pretty obvious they're leading up to the Darkseid attack on Earth from the new 52 Justice League first volume, or some variation thereof.

I think that's a mistake, though. Bear with me here...

Look at the comparisons with the MCU, OK? Marvel is leading up to the Infinity Gauntlet/Infinity War, whatever, epic. Each movie is working towards that. It's obvious they've thought it through. The various villains stand fairly well on their own (more or less, the movies have been of variable quality) so you can view most of the movies on their own without too much trouble. Iron Man 3 and Age of Ultron were about the only ones that would actually have been very difficult to understand without watching previous films. They're slowly assembling a large cast of characters over several films, so when you see them all in the big tentpole event, you won't be all 'who the fuck are these extra heroes'.

DC, on the other hand, is pulling out their tentpoles from the get-go. Dark Knight Returns being ripped off? Big Deal. Death of Superman/Doomsday? Serious Business. And it looks very possible that the Justice League film will be their fight with Darkseid. But think about it... if that's what the *first* JL movie is about... where the hell do you take them after that? Because about the only thing you can do that's bigger than Darkseid might be the Anti-Monitor and the Infinite Crisis. Flashpoint is a very Flash-centric story; it *might* work as a broader DCCU film, but given that the current DCCU is more or less a New 52 inspired series... it's a bit late. Oh, sure, you could try a 'Forever Evil' situation, but that would be... slightly weird IMO. It *could* work as a lead-up to a Crisis on Infinite Earths plot, but I don't know how well it would work.

Frankly, I think the DCCU could very well paint itself into a corner if they aren't very careful. Personally I would rather the JL movie take a different direction than Darkseid, but they've foreshadowed that so heavily that I'm not sure they CAN.
It's a strange world. Let's keep it that way.
NeoGoomba
Sith Devotee

Post by NeoGoomba »

So I finally saw it, and I give it a big ol thumbs down. But I can attribute that to a lot of my own personal preferences. I thought Affleck was a TERRIBLE Batman. Yet he made an adequate approximation of the Punisher. To me, he was so extreme that he was acting more like Castle than Wayne. A pity I just finished watching the master class on portraying the Punisher on Daredevil, or I may have been more forgiving. Affleck's Batman was all grimdark brute, with none of the charm Bale or Keaton brought to the role. Fuck, just one brief "rubber bullets, promise"', quip to Alfred would have lightened his character a ton.

Superman has so much potential if they treat him as an ideal, or if they show him actually being compassionate. But it almost seemed as if he was saving people out of some sense of debt to Pa Kent, not an ingrained sense of justice.

That said, I loved Gadot as Wonder Woman, and Jeremy Irons is my New favorite Alfred. Give the two of them some Agent Carter-esque espionage film, please.
"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it. Fifteen hundred years ago everybody knew the Earth was the center of the universe. Five hundred years ago, everybody knew the Earth was flat, and fifteen minutes ago, you knew that humans were alone on this planet. Imagine what you'll know...tomorrow."
-Agent Kay