Ant-Man Trailer

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Ant-Man Trailer

Post by Mr Bean »

Youtube

Three thoughts
1. Brief fight scenes better showcase the size changing speed gimic
2. Way more comedy than the teaser suggested. The teaser said Cap II the trailer says Guardians
3. TOOT TOOT

"A cult is a religion with no political power." -Tom Wolfe
Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
Iroscato
Jedi Council Member

Re: Ant-Man Trailer

Post by Iroscato »

Bastards, they got me with the train gag right at the end xD
This is looking like fun.
Yeah, I've always taken the subtext of the Birther movement to be, "The rules don't count here! This is different! HE'S BLACK! BLACK, I SAY! ARE YOU ALL BLIND!?

- Raw Shark

Destiny and fate are for those too weak to forge their own futures. Where we are 'supposed' to be is irrelevent.

- SirNitram (RIP)
Vympel
Spetsnaz
Spetsnaz

Post by Vympel »

Thomas the Tank Engine was a LOL moment for me.
Like Legend of Galactic Heroes? Please contribute to http://gineipaedia.com/
SpottedKitty
Jedi Master

Post by SpottedKitty »

"That's how you punch." :lol:
“Despite rumor, Death isn't cruel — merely terribly, terribly good at his job.”
Terry Pratchett, Sourcery
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic »

This looks like they're aiming to rival Guardians of the Galaxy for pure absurdity.
Crossroads Inc.
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crossroads Inc. »

The Romulan Republic wrote:This looks like they're aiming to rival Guardians of the Galaxy for pure absurdity.
Given the popularity of Guardians, I'd say thats not a bad thing... IF It is done properly...
Praying is another way of doing nothing helpful
"Congratulations, you get a cookie. You almost got a fundamental English word correct." Pick
"Outlaw star has spaceships that punch eachother" Joviwan
Read "Tales From The Crossroads"!
Read "One Wrong Turn"!
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

Well, I for one am ready for some funny superhero movies. Comics (try to) do funny, I don't see why the movies can't. Grimdark superheroing is getting really old (which is part of why, IMO, the upcoming DC movies will probably suffer versus Marvel).
It's a strange world. Let's keep it that way.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic »

If DC goes for grimdark, its probably because its worked lately, at least for them (see Christopher Nolan's Batman films). Or at least they're probably thinking that. Its not really that true. Nolan's darkness was more cosmetic than thematic, at least at times. For one thing, the scene with the hostages on the ferries and Batman's refusal to kill the Joker both suggest that their is genuine goodness in people. Also, I can't think of any other version of Batman that went with "Batman wins, retires, and lives happily ever after with his girlfriend" for an ending.
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

The Nolan Batman movies were successful (IMO) mainly because they had a great combination of directing, acting, and production values. They had a good start, pretty decent middle, but were struggling at the end with Dark Knight. Contrast them with Man of Steel-- OK movie, but didn't do as well as Superman Returns, which everybody loves to hate on. And it looks like they're trying to continue the MoS look with the new Batman vs Superman movie and the upcoming Justice League stuff with Khal Drogo and Supermodel Wonder Woman (in Glorious SEPIA!).

Marvel? Let's drop that stuff in the paint mixer, yo. Guardians of the Galaxy-- Knowhere in the middle of a nebula, anybody? Bright shiny Nova Corps dudes? A freaking racoon with a gun bigger than it is riding a tree that only says 'I am Groot'? An Indiana Jones type spaceman hero that listens to '80s music on a Walkman, on a cassette tape no less? A green space babe that kicks ass?

MORE. PLEASE. I will take that shit anytime over "RARRR I are a super HERO. I try to rescue people but they die anyway. Movie so dark. Also, my spandex has texture. See? Right here? The little symbols all over it? Can you even see it in this light? Hello?"
Iroscato
Jedi Council Member

Post by Iroscato »

Man of Steel grossed $670 million on a $225 million budget, compared to Return's $391 million on a $270 million budget. Those are the cold numbers, so based off that alone it was a much more successful film. It generally got poorer reviews as far I remember though, and was less well received by fans. Personally I enjoyed it more than Returns but I can understand people's problems with it.

I would say GOTG had a comparable impact on the cinematic landscape to the Dark Knight. TDK seemed to cause a shift towards everything being gritty and grounded, whereas GOTG 6 years later seems to have pushed the needle back to more light-hearted and fun moods.
Yeah, I've always taken the subtext of the Birther movement to be, "The rules don't count here! This is different! HE'S BLACK! BLACK, I SAY! ARE YOU ALL BLIND!?

- Raw Shark

Destiny and fate are for those too weak to forge their own futures. Where we are 'supposed' to be is irrelevent.

- SirNitram (RIP)
Borgholio
Sith Acolyte

Post by Borgholio »

I still don't know why people hated Superman Returns so much. I went in there excited to see the first Superman movie in decades, and walked out feeling like a kid all over again.
You will be assimilated...bunghole!
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

Superman Returns, more than anything, didn't really meet expectations. People were expecting Christopher Reeve 2.0, and they didn't really get that. It also didn't help that the mid-2000's were not a great time for comic-book flicks. Blade Trinity, X-Men Last Stand, Spiderman 3... It was an OK movie, not badly done for what it was, but it wasn't particularly awesome. Luthor shouldn't be able to just shank Superman with a bit of Kryptonite-- that shit could be done in the 70s because it was the Silver Age and that kind of stupid happened all the time, but now? Not so much.

I will say this for that movie-- Kevin Spacey really managed to capture the spirit of the '70s-80s Luthor rather well. Just the right amount of insanity, scenery-chewing, and cold intelligence. Routh-Superman, on the other hand, was just kind of... flat.