Game of Thrones Season 5 (TV ONLY)

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

Thanas
Magister
Magister

Re: Game of Thrones Season 5 (TV ONLY)

Post by Thanas »

And if they want to plunder, there are plenty of discontented little lords in the North Bolton wants wiped out.
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
Ralin
Sith Marauder

Post by Ralin »

Block wrote:
Ralin wrote:Sellswords that aren't working for Roose Bolton are a direct threat to his authority, and one best dealt with while they're tired and drunk and surrounded by his troops.
That's a great way to never get mercenaries to work for you again. It's not necessary either. Pay them and they'll go looking for work elsewhere.
In this scenario they aren't mercenaries Bolton hired as far as anyone knows. They're mercenaries Stannis hired to fight Roose whom Roose massacred same as the rest of Stannis's troops.

There are only so many people in the North in the market for sellswords right now, and most of them really fucking hate the Boltons.
Block
Jedi Council Member

Post by Block »

Ralin wrote:
Block wrote:
Ralin wrote:Sellswords that aren't working for Roose Bolton are a direct threat to his authority, and one best dealt with while they're tired and drunk and surrounded by his troops.
That's a great way to never get mercenaries to work for you again. It's not necessary either. Pay them and they'll go looking for work elsewhere.
In this scenario they aren't mercenaries Bolton hired as far as anyone knows. They're mercenaries Stannis hired to fight Roose whom Roose massacred same as the rest of Stannis's troops.

There are only so many people in the North in the market for sellswords right now, and most of them really fucking hate the Boltons.
You're assuming they want to remain in the North.
GuppyShark
Sith Devotee

Post by GuppyShark »

With Stannis dead and heirless, the Stormlands will be up for grabs - plenty of employment opportunities down south.
Ralin
Sith Marauder

Post by Ralin »

The North is a big place and winter has come. There are any number of ways heading south could be problematic enough to make them say "Fuck it" and look for things to do locally.

I mean hell, look at how they got snowed in on the way to Winterfell
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

It is, historically, pretty rare for people that hire mercenaries and assassins to immediately turn on them like that. Not unheard of, but rare.

Because the soldiers and assassins fight back, they can take a big bite out of your own loyal troops you used to kill them.

Because even your own loyal troops will wonder, "gee, what if he sends US to do some dirty work and WE become a liability." People will start deserting your service a lot more often.

Because, as noted, no one in their right mind will ever work for you again.

Because, ultimately, it's totally unnecessary. Once you stop paying mercenaries, they generally leave. Indeed, the hard part is usually keeping them from deserting too quickly before the war's over. And if you live in a rough, unpleasant countryside like the North of Westeros as winter's setting in... you are NOT going to have to worry about those mercenaries overstaying their welcome.

They're not a liability. They're not a threat. They're contractors who have far more interest in going home than they do in hanging around to give you a hard time.
Ralin wrote:The North is a big place and winter has come. There are any number of ways heading south could be problematic enough to make them say "Fuck it" and look for things to do locally.

I mean hell, look at how they got snowed in on the way to Winterfell
By the same token, the odds are that very little campaigning can even happen now that winter's come. Even if the mercenaries do form an army under some northern leader and try something, they're likely to get crushed under a blizzard the same way Stannis almost did.
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
Irbis
Jedi Council Member

Post by Irbis »

Simon_Jester wrote:Because, ultimately, it's totally unnecessary. Once you stop paying mercenaries, they generally leave. Indeed, the hard part is usually keeping them from deserting too quickly before the war's over. And if you live in a rough, unpleasant countryside like the North of Westeros as winter's setting in... you are NOT going to have to worry about those mercenaries overstaying their welcome.
They have no tabor, no food, no nothing. North is also not known to posses any cities, big inns or stores where you could buy enough food for march south. Real life mercenaries in similar campaigns (like Thirty Years War) tended to just squeeze the food from population as needed, by murdering and pillaging if necessary (and often even if totally unnecessary, just for some extra gold). Indeed, some were so famous of doing so rulers tried to keep them as far away as possible.

What is Roose going to do, give them lots of food he doesn't really have to march South, pay them with money he doesn't have either, or let them pillage and make North hate him (plus get his Warden of the North title into question)? Though, yes, you do have a point killing them doesn't work for him that well too so convincing them to turn might be pyrrhic victory after all, and Stannis might have last laugh in the end.
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Irbis wrote:or let them pillage and make North hate him (plus get his Warden of the North title into question)?
That is exactly what I expect him to do, nobody gives a damn about the small folk and the little Lords hate him anyway.
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
Ralin
Sith Marauder

Post by Ralin »

Thanas wrote:
Irbis wrote:or let them pillage and make North hate him (plus get his Warden of the North title into question)?
That is exactly what I expect him to do, nobody gives a damn about the small folk and the little Lords hate him anyway.
Doesn't exactly leave him much to rule over. Roose is evil and calculating, not the dark lord Sauron
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Why doesn't it? The North is very large and the people hate him anyway. Might just as well reduce their power if it costs him nothing.
------------
------------
My LPs
Ralin
Sith Marauder

Post by Ralin »

Because they are theoretically his vassals and letting (Southern) sellswords rampage across their lands means that can't send him taxes and troops and pushes them towards open rebellion against him? Which far as I can remember they yet doing.
Irbis
Jedi Council Member

Post by Irbis »

Thanas wrote:That is exactly what I expect him to do, nobody gives a damn about the small folk and the little Lords hate him anyway.
Doesn't feudal contract explicitly say you get to be top dog if you happen to act in interests of people beneath you? Including protection? And if you don't, the very same people will quickly elect someone else to be top dog, who then proceeds to voice his disapproval to old one with business end of the sword? See both Baron Wars in England for one, not to mention dozens of other civil conflicts through medieval era.

The North might reluctantly accepted Boltons as Starks are presumed dead and they were second most powerful house, one recognized by king at that, but they were treading on thin ice as it was, without their mercenaries rampaging unchecked.
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Irbis wrote:
Thanas wrote:That is exactly what I expect him to do, nobody gives a damn about the small folk and the little Lords hate him anyway.
Doesn't feudal contract explicitly say you get to be top dog if you happen to act in interests of people beneath you? Including protection? And if you don't, the very same people will quickly elect someone else to be top dog, who then proceeds to voice his disapproval to old one with business end of the sword? See both Baron Wars in England for one, not to mention dozens of other civil conflicts through medieval era.

The North might reluctantly accepted Boltons as Starks are presumed dead and they were second most powerful house, one recognized by king at that, but they were treading on thin ice as it was, without their mercenaries rampaging unchecked.
The vassals are not strong enough to challenge the Boltons, who are already in violation of the vassal contract and the most important religious law anyway.
------------
------------
My LPs
Ralin
Sith Marauder

Post by Ralin »

What evidence is there that the Boltons are so much more powerful then the rest of the North that they don't have to worry about their new vassals? Roose is a monster, but he's a monster smart enough to not want to fight rebellions when he doesn't have to. He knows that if he gives them nothing but the stick he's ensuring the general revolt that has not yet happened.

By religious law do you mean the Red Wedding? Because I don't think Roose killing Robb Stark counts as violating guest right after his host opened fire on the Starks
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Ralin wrote:What evidence is there that the Boltons are so much more powerful then the rest of the North that they don't have to worry about their new vassals? Roose is a monster, but he's a monster smart enough to not want to fight rebellions when he doesn't have to. He knows that if he gives them nothing but the stick he's ensuring the general revolt that has not yet happened.
Indeed, but letting the mercenaries run rampant is quite common for the times anyway and keep in mind there are territories in open rebellion already he might steer them towards anyway.

By religious law do you mean the Red Wedding? Because I don't think Roose killing Robb Stark counts as violating guest right after his host opened fire on the Starks
I think it does, and even if it did not he killed his sworn overlord after swearing loyalty to him. Sure, royal pardon and traitor and all that.
------------
------------
My LPs
Raesene
Jedi Master

Post by Raesene »

Maybe I missed it being posted, but that's Coldplay's special for Red Nose day:

Game of Thrones, The Musical

regarding Jon Snow: Spoiler
Kit Harington still had his Jon Snow-haircut :-)

"In view of the circumstances, Britannia waives the rules."

"All you have to do is to look at Northern Ireland, [...] to see how seriously the religious folks take "thou shall not kill. The more devout they are, the more they see murder as being negotiable." George Carlin

"We need to make gay people live in fear again! What ever happened to the traditional family values of persecution and lies?" - Darth Wong
"The closet got full and some homosexuals may have escaped onto the internet?"- Stormbringer

Raesene
Jedi Master

Post by Raesene »

Amazon.de has 'Winds of Winter' available as of July, 14th, 2016

:-)

"In view of the circumstances, Britannia waives the rules."

"All you have to do is to look at Northern Ireland, [...] to see how seriously the religious folks take "thou shall not kill. The more devout they are, the more they see murder as being negotiable." George Carlin

"We need to make gay people live in fear again! What ever happened to the traditional family values of persecution and lies?" - Darth Wong
"The closet got full and some homosexuals may have escaped onto the internet?"- Stormbringer

The Grim Squeaker
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Grim Squeaker »

Aaaargh. I thought it'd be out this year :(
Photography
Genius is always allowed some leeway, once the hammer has been pried from its hands and the blood has been cleaned up.
To improve is to change; to be perfect is to change often.
Ralin
Sith Marauder

Post by Ralin »

Raesene wrote:Amazon.de has 'Winds of Winter' available as of July, 14th, 2016

:-)
Sweet summer child.
Pelranius
Sith Marauder

Post by Pelranius »

Ian McShane is appearing in Season 6, role undisclosed (probably Randyll Tarly if you ask me, he seems a little too old for any one of the Greyjoy brothers). Or he's Aerys in some sort of flashback.
Ian McShane, best known for his terrifying turn as the foul-mouthed anti-hero of Deadwood, will be returning to HBO, by way of Westeros. According to Entertainment Weekly, McShane and his unsettling eyes have been cast in an undisclosed role for season six of Game of Thrones. McShane, who once had a career as a sexy crooner before trying his hand at playing sociopaths, will have “a relatively small amount of screen-time during the season, yet his character is of key importance.” The 72-year-old actor plays scary men of authority, and homocidal Santa Clauses, better than anyone else. We can't wait to see what he does, and who he kills.

http://www.vulture.com/2015/08/ian-mcsh ... son-6.html
And looks like we might have eight seasons of GoT, though given what they've cut out from Season 4 and 5, they might have to invent some new padding to stretch things out to Season 8. http://www.ew.com/article/2015/07/30/ga ... ht-seasons
Turns out that a five way cross over between It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia, the Ali G Show, Fargo, Idiocracy and Veep is a lot less funny when you're actually living in it.
SCRawl
Has a bad feeling about this.

Post by SCRawl »

Aerys seems unlikely for McShane. I know that this is the TV thread, but Aerys died short of his 40th birthday in that continuity; even with the age inflation in the show that would be a stretch.
73% of all statistics are made up, including this one.

I'm waiting as fast as I can.
RogueIce
_______

Post by RogueIce »

Given GRRM hasn't even finished writing the series yet, I don't see any issues with going to eight seasons (or beyond?), given so much is still up in the air - at least so far as the audience knows.
"How can I wait unknowing?
This is the price of war,
We rise with noble intentions,
And we risk all that is pure..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, Forever (Rome: Total War)

"On and on, through the years,
The war continues on..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, We Are All One (Medieval 2: Total War)
"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear." - Ambrose Redmoon
"You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain." - Harvey Dent, The Dark Knight
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

RogueIce wrote:Given GRRM hasn't even finished writing the series yet, I don't see any issues with going to eight seasons (or beyond?), given so much is still up in the air - at least so far as the audience knows.
The show runners have the outline, RR Martin has talked with them on where plots are going. The problem is going eight seasons will involve some serious deviation from book material and they have demonstrated before in the past.... their fanfic writing skills are terrible.

"A cult is a religion with no political power." -Tom Wolfe
Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
Elfdart
The Anti-Shep

Post by Elfdart »

I hope he doesn't ham it up like he did in Pillars of the Earth.
RogueIce
_______

Post by RogueIce »

Mr Bean wrote:
RogueIce wrote:Given GRRM hasn't even finished writing the series yet, I don't see any issues with going to eight seasons (or beyond?), given so much is still up in the air - at least so far as the audience knows.
The show runners have the outline, RR Martin has talked with them on where plots are going. The problem is going eight seasons will involve some serious deviation from book material and they have demonstrated before in the past.... their fanfic writing skills are terrible.
Outlines and preliminary idea can change? I mean if HBO wants it to keep going, who's to say GRRM himself wouldn't think of ways to expand the plot? It's not like the story of ASoIF was engraved on stone tablets or anything, and I'm betting GRRM likes money as much as the next person, so...if he can get away with more books that'll no doubt be bestsellers - especially if the show keeps on being the hot property is now - who can say he won't do so?

That's putting aside of course subjective opinions on whether or not various story elements between the show and books worked or didn't work. This is the 'no books' thread so it's not like the entire audience is going to give a shit about when, where or why it deviates, so long as they think the show itself is still good.

Such as myself. :angelic:
"How can I wait unknowing?
This is the price of war,
We rise with noble intentions,
And we risk all that is pure..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, Forever (Rome: Total War)

"On and on, through the years,
The war continues on..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, We Are All One (Medieval 2: Total War)
"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear." - Ambrose Redmoon
"You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain." - Harvey Dent, The Dark Knight