Alternate WW2 RAR

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

Purple
Sith Acolyte
Location: In a purple cube orbiting this planet. Hijacking satellites for an internet connection.

Re: Alternate WW2 RAR

Post by Purple »

A bigger problem is the fact that dolphins and other sea mammals aren't going to be able to operate those devices on their own. How do you suppose to attach the mine to them and have it detach when needed?
It has become clear to me in the previous days that any attempts at reconciliation and explanation with the community here has failed. I have tried my best. I really have. I pored my heart out trying. But it was all for nothing.

You win. There, I have said it.

Now there is only one thing left to do. Let us see if I can sum up the strength needed to end things once and for all.
Sea Skimmer
Yankee Capitalist Air Pirate

Post by Sea Skimmer »

Use a magnetic fuse to release the mine, activated by pushing it against the target hull. It can do more then just arm a timer delay. Sometimes this would fail and the dolphin would drown for the glory of the Emperor but that's perfectly in line with other Imperial Japanese weapons safety.

Active sonar would play hell with whales and dolphins though once allied forces knew to be on guard, and light gun crews and air patrols would begin slaughtering them constantly when they are on the surface. Whales and dolphins can't chase down ships without being on the surface a lot.
"This cult of special forces is as sensible as to form a Royal Corps of Tree Climbers and say that no soldier who does not wear its green hat with a bunch of oak leaves stuck in it should be expected to climb a tree"
— Field Marshal William Slim 1956
Purple
Sith Acolyte
Location: In a purple cube orbiting this planet. Hijacking satellites for an internet connection.

Post by Purple »

Sea Skimmer wrote:Use a magnetic fuse to release the mine, activated by pushing it against the target hull. It can do more then just arm a timer delay. Sometimes this would fail and the dolphin would drown for the glory of the Emperor but that's perfectly in line with other Imperial Japanese weapons safety.
Thing is, the sea creatures ain't Japanese soldiers. If the chance of that happening was even remotely likely they'd just refuse to use the device. And once the first one fails and kills the operator there is absolutely no way you'd be able to talk them into trying again.
It has become clear to me in the previous days that any attempts at reconciliation and explanation with the community here has failed. I have tried my best. I really have. I pored my heart out trying. But it was all for nothing.

Now there is only one thing left to do. Let us see if I can sum up the strength needed to end things once and for all.
Adam Reynolds
Jedi Council Member

Post by Adam Reynolds »

Purple wrote:Thing is, the sea creatures ain't Japanese soldiers. If the chance of that happening was even remotely likely they'd just refuse to use the device. And once the first one fails and kills the operator there is absolutely no way you'd be able to talk them into trying again.
Would the whales and dolphins continue working for the Japanese if American crews started killing every whale and dolphin they saw? Or would then then become even more fanatical and loyal to their Japanese protectors and become suicide dolphin/whale torpedoes strapped full of explosives. That is a rather awesome thought.
Purple
Sith Acolyte

Post by Purple »

Adamskywalker007 wrote:
Purple wrote:Thing is, the sea creatures ain't Japanese soldiers. If the chance of that happening was even remotely likely they'd just refuse to use the device. And once the first one fails and kills the operator there is absolutely no way you'd be able to talk them into trying again.
Would the whales and dolphins continue working for the Japanese if American crews started killing every whale and dolphin they saw? Or would then then become even more fanatical and loyal to their Japanese protectors and become suicide dolphin/whale torpedoes strapped full of explosives. That is a rather awesome thought.
That would depend on the mammal in question. Some would become fanatical, others would defect but the majority would probably just decide they don't want to get too close to enemy ships but still feel willing to provide intel and such,

Borgholio
Sith Acolyte

Post by Borgholio »

If most of them just provide intel, then we're back to the Japanese still getting their asses handed to them in the long run. Might be harder for the US to realize the dolphins and whales are the culprit, but the ships will still be able to freely attack the Japanese fleet.
You will be assimilated...bunghole!
Purple
Sith Acolyte

Post by Purple »

Borgholio wrote:If most of them just provide intel, then we're back to the Japanese still getting their asses handed to them in the long run. Might be harder for the US to realize the dolphins and whales are the culprit, but the ships will still be able to freely attack the Japanese fleet.
Basically think of these things as if they were people. People who want to help but are also smart enough not to want to get them self killed if they can help it.