First pic of Ryan Reynolds as Deadpool

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

Iroscato
Jedi Council Member

First pic of Ryan Reynolds as Deadpool

Post by Iroscato »

I approve massively. That thing has just walked off the pages of the comics.
Also, there's a fair bit of expression in that eyebrow. Perhaps they'll be enhancing the movement of Reynold's mask with CGI.
http://www.denofgeek.com/movies/x-men/3 ... in-costume
Yeah, I've always taken the subtext of the Birther movement to be, "The rules don't count here! This is different! HE'S BLACK! BLACK, I SAY! ARE YOU ALL BLIND!?

- Raw Shark

Destiny and fate are for those too weak to forge their own futures. Where we are 'supposed' to be is irrelevent.

- SirNitram (RIP)
Meest
Jedi Master

Re: First pic of Ryan Reynolds as Deadpool

Post by Meest »

Almost too much like the comic jumped off the page, but guess can get away with it with his character. Wonder how he'll blend in.
"Somehow I feel, that in the long run, Thanos of Titan came out ahead in this particular deal."
Karmic Knight
Jedi Master

Post by Karmic Knight »

Meest wrote:Almost too much like the comic jumped off the page, but guess can get away with it with his character. Wonder how he'll blend in.
Yeah, Deadpool is a character that has to be over-the-top to effectively convey the character in a manner that would be satisfactory.

It is going to be interesting seeing how Deadpool meshes with his medium, because as a character Deadpool is supposed to stand out from the rest of the characters because of his awareness of things and his non-standard comicbook format. Both of those things are difficult things to translate to film and are going to be hard to ground into the X-Men film series as a whole. In his own film they can get away with a lot more meta-humor and medium humor that forms a good basis of Deadpool's nontraditional experience, but all of that will probably fall apart and hurt Deadpool's appearances with the mainstream X-men characters.
This is an empty country and I am it's king, and I should not be allowed to touch anything.
SpottedKitty
Jedi Master

Post by SpottedKitty »

Meest wrote:Almost too much like the comic jumped off the page, but guess can get away with it with his character. Wonder how he'll blend in.
Blend in?

Deadpool?

HOW!??!!one!? :twisted: :roll: :wink:
“Despite rumor, Death isn't cruel — merely terribly, terribly good at his job.”
Terry Pratchett, Sourcery
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

That's so Deadpool.
I want it on a shirt now
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

I must say that Deadpool needs a "straight man" to play of from to be good though, on his own he's silly but not really that funny, but give Deadpool someome who's not on the joke and acts like everything is real and it becomes funny.

Take for example the "dance off" from the end of Gaurdians of the Galaxy not that funny on it's own but Ronan's "WTF?!" reaction sells it.
I may be an idiot, but I'm a tolerated idiot
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Oh wait, that's marijuana..."Einhander Sn0m4n
Majin Gojira
Sith Acolyte

Post by Majin Gojira »

I think the World is sometimes Deadpool's straightman.

But we also have Copycat, Negasonic Teenage Warhead, and I think Colossus in the cast, so there's that.
ISARMA: Daikaiju Coordinator: Just Add Radiation
Justice League- Molly Hayes: Respect Hats or Freakin' Else!
Browncoat
Supernatural Taisen - "[This Story] is essentially "Wouldn't it be awesome if this happened?" Followed by explosions."

Reviewing movies is a lot like Paleontology: The Evidence is there...but no one seems to agree upon it.

"God! Are you so bored that you enjoy seeing us humans suffer?! Why can't you let this poor man live happily with his son! What kind of God are you, crushing us like ants?!" - Kyoami, Ran
Iroscato
Jedi Council Member

Post by Iroscato »

Deadpool confirmed to be made for grown-ups! Man, I can't believe this is happening. Not only will there be a Deadpool movie with a perfectly realised costume, but there will also be "blood. Guns. F-bombs. And graphic, expertly lit French Unicorn sex" according to Reynold's twitter page :D :luv: :D
Yeah, I've always taken the subtext of the Birther movement to be, "The rules don't count here! This is different! HE'S BLACK! BLACK, I SAY! ARE YOU ALL BLIND!?

- Raw Shark

Destiny and fate are for those too weak to forge their own futures. Where we are 'supposed' to be is irrelevent.

- SirNitram (RIP)
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

Gawd I fucking hate Deadpool. As I have said elsewhere; It's a tryhard character, it's a fanboy character and Liefeld created him.
I hope this does some serious flopping.
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
"Mostly Harmless Nutcase"
Majin Gojira
Sith Acolyte

Post by Majin Gojira »

That's deadpool primarily at his worst. At his best, he is a Sad Clown with a very dark streak. The best stories I've seen of him exploit that sadness behind the jokes.

Who knows how the film will go. But it's got Copycat being played by Morena Baccarin, so that's definitely a thing.

And Negasnic Teenage Warhead of all characters.

I love how in comics creators are quite killhappy, but when a movie rolls around they'll grab anyone live or dead to tell the story they need to -- even if the character in question never even got a real story before! (Ink being another example from the X-Men movies).
ISARMA: Daikaiju Coordinator: Just Add Radiation
Justice League- Molly Hayes: Respect Hats or Freakin' Else!
Browncoat
Supernatural Taisen - "[This Story] is essentially "Wouldn't it be awesome if this happened?" Followed by explosions."

Reviewing movies is a lot like Paleontology: The Evidence is there...but no one seems to agree upon it.

"God! Are you so bored that you enjoy seeing us humans suffer?! Why can't you let this poor man live happily with his son! What kind of God are you, crushing us like ants?!" - Kyoami, Ran
Iroscato
Jedi Council Member

Post by Iroscato »

Havok wrote:Gawd I fucking hate Deadpool. As I have said elsewhere; It's a tryhard character, it's a fanboy character and Liefeld created him.
I hope this does some serious flopping.
Ugh, you're becoming such a curmudgeon in your old age :wink:

- Raw Shark

- SirNitram (RIP)
Irbis
Jedi Council Member

Post by Irbis »

Is it me, or is that guy a bit... thin for Deadpool? Though good for Spider Man :?

I recall Wade Wilson being much more packed than Peter Parker, did that change recently?
Joun_Lord
Jedi Master

Post by Joun_Lord »

Irbis wrote:Is it me, or is that guy a bit... thin for Deadpool? Though good for Spider Man :?

I recall Wade Wilson being much more packed than Peter Parker, did that change recently?
Reynolds is pretty ripped or atleast was in Blade Trinity.

As for DP, it depends on the artist. Sometimes he's a Liefieldian monster that makes the Rock look natural and others times he's more athletically built. I think he does better with the athletic build as he's supposed to be pretty mobile, jumping and flipping through the air like a psycho.