First pic of Jesse Eisenberg as Lex Luthor

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

Iroscato
Jedi Council Member

First pic of Jesse Eisenberg as Lex Luthor

Post by Iroscato »

Shiny dome CONFIRMED. Looks pretty good IMO.
http://screenrant.com/batman-v-superman ... rg-images/
Can we get an official BvS thread going at some point? I kind of feel bad for creating new threads for each new piece of info, but I don't want to necro old threads. Nor do I want to not post about it :P
Yeah, I've always taken the subtext of the Birther movement to be, "The rules don't count here! This is different! HE'S BLACK! BLACK, I SAY! ARE YOU ALL BLIND!?

- Raw Shark

Destiny and fate are for those too weak to forge their own futures. Where we are 'supposed' to be is irrelevent.

- SirNitram (RIP)
Borgholio
Sith Acolyte

Re: First pic of Jesse Eisenberg as Lex Luthor

Post by Borgholio »

Not bad at all. Something looks a bit out of place though...can't quite put my finger on it. Looks too...young, maybe?
You will be assimilated...bunghole!
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

I think it's that his face is fairly narrow; Luthor has generally been portrayed with fairly broad features in film (Spacey, Hackman), while Eisenberg has somewhat of a sharper shape going on. However, it's not out of place. It could fit well with this:

Looks like he's wearing prison scrubs in this picture. Perhaps he pulls off one of his classic escapes at the start of the movie and escapes to Gotham?
It's a strange world. Let's keep it that way.
Iroscato
Jedi Council Member

Post by Iroscato »

Elheru Aran wrote:>snip<
Aye, that's exactly what it reminded me of. Still not completely sold on things like Eisenberg's voice (everything I've seen him in, he sounds very squeaky) but I'm looking forward to his take either way.
Yeah, I've always taken the subtext of the Birther movement to be, "The rules don't count here! This is different! HE'S BLACK! BLACK, I SAY! ARE YOU ALL BLIND!?

- Raw Shark

Destiny and fate are for those too weak to forge their own futures. Where we are 'supposed' to be is irrelevent.

- SirNitram (RIP)
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

He has also mostly portrayed nerdy roles, so the squeakiness goes with that. If it's natural and not something he puts on for the role, they'll probably jigger it in post-production... or overdub him with James Earl Jones or something :P
Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf »

Borgholio wrote:Not bad at all. Something looks a bit out of place though...can't quite put my finger on it. Looks too...young, maybe?
Look at it this way; assuming that time is linear, he'll be older when it's time to film the sequels.
"Oh no, oh yeah, tell me how can it be so fair
That we dying younger hiding from the police man over there
Just for breathing in the air they wanna leave me in the chair
Electric shocking body rocking beat streeting me to death"

- A.B. Original, Report to the Mist

"I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."
- George Carlin
Zaune
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zaune »

Borgholio wrote:Not bad at all. Something looks a bit out of place though...can't quite put my finger on it. Looks too...young, maybe?
Maybe it's the scowl and the lighting effect, but I think he looks a bit too thuggish to play a charismatic evil genius.
There are hardly any excesses of the most crazed psychopath that cannot easily be duplicated by a normal kindly family man who just comes in to work every day and has a job to do.
-- (Terry Pratchett, Small Gods)

Replace "ginger" with "n*gger," and suddenly it become a lot less funny, doesn't it?
-- fgalkin

Like my writing? Tip me on Patreon

I Have A Blog
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

Face looks too narrow, too young and the the eyebrows aren't prominent enough though I suspect other than the 'too young' that's mainly due to my mental picture of Luthor essentially being the animation/Timmverse one.
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
Panzersharkcat
Jedi Council Member

Post by Panzersharkcat »

The scalp looks off to me (seems stubbly) but then again, I've never looked up close at a naturally bald man's head before. Maybe he shaves it instead?
"I'm just reading through your formspring here, and your responses to many questions seem to indicate that you are ready and willing to sacrifice realism/believability for the sake of (sometimes) marginal increases in gameplay quality. Why is this?"
"Because until I see gamers sincerely demanding that if they get winged in the gut with a bullet that they spend the next three hours bleeding out on the ground before permanently dying, they probably are too." - J.E. Sawyer
Iroscato
Jedi Council Member

Post by Iroscato »

In what way is he too young? Eisenberg is 31, older than Cavill. Luthor is about the same age as Superman in several adaptations.

- Raw Shark

- SirNitram (RIP)
Borgholio
Sith Acolyte

Post by Borgholio »

Well he looks young and thin. Luthor has (at least in the movies) looked a bit older and heavier.
You will be assimilated...bunghole!
Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf »

Chimaera wrote:In what way is he too young? Eisenberg is 31, older than Cavill. Luthor is about the same age as Superman in several adaptations.
People are used to things looking a certain way. Remember how people freaked out when Heath Ledger's Joker wasn't going to look like Jack Nicholson or the Bruce Timm version?
"Oh no, oh yeah, tell me how can it be so fair
That we dying younger hiding from the police man over there
Just for breathing in the air they wanna leave me in the chair
Electric shocking body rocking beat streeting me to death"

- A.B. Original, Report to the Mist

"I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."
- George Carlin
Grumman
Jedi Council Member

Post by Grumman »

Gandalf wrote:People are used to things looking a certain way. Remember how people freaked out when Heath Ledger's Joker wasn't going to look like Jack Nicholson or the Bruce Timm version?
There is a key difference here: Batman Begins was good. Not great, perhaps, but there was some reason to hope that Nolan would be able to do a good job despite Heath Ledger seeming to be a terrible fit for the role. If Zach Snyder was the one telling us that Heath Ledger was going to be the next Joker, after giving us the clusterfuck that is Man of Steel, what reason would we have to believe it was going to be any good?
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

He'll probably be OK as long as he darkens his eyebrows a bit, they're really a little light. Of course, Luthor is red-haired (IIRC, originally) so light eyebrows are a possibility. It really doesn't matter all that much how he looks though-- after all, Gene Hackman was rocking his hair all through the original Superman and nobody really complained all that much about it. As long as he performs, the eyebrows and looks will be a minor concern.

Heath Ledger's Joker, while a departure from the character, wasn't all that much more radical than this. It was simply within the more extreme end of various interpretations of Joker-- a disfigured anarchistic terrorist with a sense of humor. So I'm not too concerned, and Eisenberg isn't a terrible actor-- he's competent enough in the various roles I've seen him in (apart from The Squid and the Whale, that was a fucking weird movie).
Elfdart
The Anti-Shep

Post by Elfdart »

He doesn't look anything like Gene Hackman! :roll: