Joffrey Baratheon (GoT) gets a Death Note

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

Cosmic Average
Jedi Knight

Joffrey Baratheon (GoT) gets a Death Note

Post by Cosmic Average »

Joffrey, upon becoming king, receives a Death Note notebook, from Death Note, and instruction on how it works and what it does. He also gets shinigami eyes for free.

How does this change things?
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Re: Joffrey Baratheon (GoT) gets a Death Note

Post by Elheru Aran »

Oh god. Why Joffrey? Why not someone with an actual sense of self-control and intelligence?

In Joffrey hands, half the Seven Kingdoms will fall over dead before too long. White Walkers will be able to sweep across the continent with ease. He doesn't have the discipline or the sense to not kill people who are actually important at keeping the world safe in the long run.
It's a strange world. Let's keep it that way.
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

90% of the noble houses are dead. Minimum 90% of the named characters in the book die and die horribly. That's assuming Joffrey can keep it a secret... which he won't so the real RAR is....

Tywin Lannister takes a Death Note from Joffrey, and peace ruled over the land forever.

"A cult is a religion with no political power." -Tom Wolfe
Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
Napoleon the Clown
Jedi Council Member

Post by Napoleon the Clown »

Littlefinger sits back with his little smile, watching as many fall... Then one night Joffrey awakes to find his Death Note is missing. In its place is a simple note:

"Your Highness,

Thank you for your efforts in culling the herd of would-be power-grabbers. The Death Gods didn't know what they were getting into when I guided them into giving you the Death Note. Very few challengers remain, and I stand at the top of potential claimants. All that is left now is you name me your True Heir. Upon completion of reading this letter, you will destroy it and tell none it was written. You will then make the decree. It has been written in the Death Note you so loved, and so you know there is no way to avoid the events coming to pass as I decree. After your decree is officially documented, you will climb to the highest tower in King's Landing and throw yourself to the stones below.

Regards,
King of the Andals, the Rhoynar and the First Men, Lord of the Seven Kingdoms, Protector of the Realm - Petyr Baelish"

Because of fucking course Littlefinger would be behind all of it.
Sig images are for people who aren't fucking lazy.
Pelranius
Sith Marauder

Post by Pelranius »

Can the Death Note kill the Others?
Turns out that a five way cross over between It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia, the Ali G Show, Fargo, Idiocracy and Veep is a lot less funny when you're actually living in it.
Napoleon the Clown
Jedi Council Member

Only if the person using it knows the full name of the Other in question. The rules are pretty clear on that bit. Can't be a pseudonym. Their actual name.

So... Not really.
LaCroix
Sith Acolyte

Post by LaCroix »

Even Varys is most probably safe from it under those circumstances... :D

I don't even know if it would work against faceless men, or the Unsullied, as they don't really have a name, as well... (They used to draw their name each day, so each of them has had so many names it would be hard to write them down... And if their first name counts, then you're really out of luck, for even they don't know it anymore..)
A minute's thought suggests that the very idea of this is stupid. A more detailed examination raises the possibility that it might be an answer to the question "how could the Germans win the war after the US gets involved?" - Captain Seafort, in a thread proposing a 1942 'D-Day' in Quiberon Bay

I do archery skeet. With a Trebuchet.
Napoleon the Clown
Jedi Council Member

More seriously, Joffrey has the intellect of a turnip and a bigger ego than Light Yagami. He's even more impulsive and cruel than Light at his worst. So... Yeah. People vital to things running smoothly die. Joffrey would likely start using it to bump off other potential "usurpers" to his thrown. Like his siblings.

Though he'd be unable to do shit about people he'd ever met. If he'd never seen the person's face, he can't meet one of the requirements of the Death Note. Meaning he'd probably wind up getting his face melted off by a dragon, assuming someone else didn't kill him before that. There's a non-zero chance he'd have wound up being poisoned anyway. All the people involved in that little assassination were ones Joffrey didn't want dead, either because they weren't a threat or because they were so fun to torture. (See: Sansa)

He doesn't have the intellect to actually put it to good use.
madd0ct0r
Sith Acolyte

Post by madd0ct0r »

can Joffery write?
"Aid, trade, green technology and peace." - Hans Rosling.
"Welcome to SDN, where we can't see the forest because walking into trees repeatedly feels good, bro." - Mr Coffee
Tribble
Sith Devotee

Post by Tribble »

I don't really watch the show... but is Joffrey the type who would made the trade for the shinigami eyes? His body count would be a lot higher then because all he'd need to do is see the person's face.
"I reject your reality and substitute my own!" - The official Troll motto, as stated by Adam Savage
Bernkastel
Padawan Learner

Post by Bernkastel »

According to the OP, he somehow gets the eyes for free in this scenario.
My Fanfics - I write gay fanfics. Reviews/Feedback will always be greatly appreciated.
My Ko-Fi Page - Currently Seeking Aid with moving home
Tribble
Sith Devotee

Post by Tribble »

Oh, whoops! Well, that does take a bit fun out of it though - from what I've read so far he seems like a real dick, and it'd be interesting to see to see whether he'd prefer to live longer or kill people more easily.

Sooo... how do you think the Shinigami would behave? According to the How to Read, Shinigami almsot always end up killing Death Note owners pretty quickly, usually out of boredom. Light only survived as long as he did because Ryuk found his antics entertaining. Goffrey doesn't seem to be long-term planning type who'd keep someone like Ryuk interested. Mind you, he could always end up with Sidoh...
"I reject your reality and substitute my own!" - The official Troll motto, as stated by Adam Savage
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

I've not readthe books but in the TV series it seemed the only reason Joffrey didn't kill more people then he did was that in addition of being a sadist he was a major coward and that's without an untraceble means of killing who ever you want to essentially.
I may be an idiot, but I'm a tolerated idiot
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Oh wait, that's marijuana..."Einhander Sn0m4n
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

Yeah... Joffrey is basically a pampered mama's boy of a untouchable teenager. He's got a lot of bluster, but actually threaten him in person and he folds.
It's a strange world. Let's keep it that way.
Irbis
Jedi Council Member

Post by Irbis »

Tribble wrote:Sooo... how do you think the Shinigami would behave? According to the How to Read, Shinigami almsot always end up killing Death Note owners pretty quickly, usually out of boredom. Light only survived as long as he did because Ryuk found his antics entertaining. Goffrey doesn't seem to be long-term planning type who'd keep someone like Ryuk interested. Mind you, he could always end up with Sidoh...
95% of shinigami are so apathetic and bored they sometimes fail to feed themselves and die, IIRC. Since said feeding involves killing people with their DN, they would probably love someone willing to go on murder sprees while they lie belly up all day long.
Napoleon the Clown wrote:Though he'd be unable to do shit about people he'd ever met. If he'd never seen the person's face, he can't meet one of the requirements of the Death Note. Meaning he'd probably wind up getting his face melted off by a dragon, assuming someone else didn't kill him before that.
Aren't pictures enough for it to work? Even if not, can't he simply call enemy leaders to 'parlay' with them before battle so he has something to work with, assuming he didn't saw everyone important to matter while Robert was alive.

But yeah, he probably isn't smart enough to use it well.
Mr Bean wrote:Tywin Lannister takes a Death Note from Joffrey, and peace ruled over the land forever.
Would he think of killing Tyrion and Varys in time though? :P
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

Irbis wrote:
Mr Bean wrote:Tywin Lannister takes a Death Note from Joffrey, and peace ruled over the land forever.
Would he think of killing Tyrion and Varys in time though? :P
No need, Tywin finding out about the name and face restriction will have a great tournament and invite all of his friends, being humble as heck, get everyone's faces memorized. Then they will quietly die of disease, heart attack and suicide. But not before any troublesome members of the free cities die as well.

I wonder, is a painting good enough for the death note?

"A cult is a religion with no political power." -Tom Wolfe
Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
Irbis
Jedi Council Member

Post by Irbis »

But not before any troublesome members of the free cities die as well.
If you didn't read ADwD, let me just say Tywin not being completely paranoid and killing everyone he knows in capital city would have backfired pretty spectacularly for him, note or no note.
Mr Bean wrote:I wonder, is a painting good enough for the death note?
By canon, tiny bad photo prints in black and white newspapers sufficed, so...
Bernkastel
Padawan Learner

Post by Bernkastel »

As I understand it, drawings and paintings are not good enough. I believe at one point, the Japanese team had sketches of Near and Mello, yet Light did not consider making use of them.
My Fanfics - I write gay fanfics. Reviews/Feedback will always be greatly appreciated.
Irbis
Jedi Council Member

Post by Irbis »

Bernkastel wrote:As I understand it, drawings and paintings are not good enough. I believe at one point, the Japanese team had sketches of Near and Mello, yet Light did not consider making use of them.
Wasn't the issue the sketches were over 10 years old thus useless? :|

Read that so long ago I don't remember, but Light had some obstacle in killing Mello, thus he had to beg his father to write the name. It was either sketch being bad or sudden Kira kill on Mello being too suspicious so L needed a scapegoat to do it (his father, later Takada).
Purple
Sith Acolyte
Location: In a purple cube orbiting this planet. Hijacking satellites for an internet connection.

Post by Purple »

The obstacles were that like L they used fake names. Or at least he had every good reason to expect they did. You need both a picture and the real name of someone in order for the note to be useful. And if you will recall, a huge part of the plot arc for the first part of the anime is Light trying to get to L's real name.
It has become clear to me in the previous days that any attempts at reconciliation and explanation with the community here has failed. I have tried my best. I really have. I pored my heart out trying. But it was all for nothing.

You win. There, I have said it.

Now there is only one thing left to do. Let us see if I can sum up the strength needed to end things once and for all.
Bernkastel
Padawan Learner

Post by Bernkastel »

Okay.

So, considering that Misa was capable of using photos as a way of getting real names via the Shinigami eyes, then presuming paintings are good enough means that Joffrey will have the ability to kill anyone so long as he has an reasonably accurate drawing or painting of them. Is this correct?
Purple
Sith Acolyte
Location: In a purple cube orbiting this planet. Hijacking satellites for an internet connection.

Post by Purple »

That depends on how accurate they are I guess. There is no way to tell if photos only work because they are as close to perfectly accurate as you can get.
It has become clear to me in the previous days that any attempts at reconciliation and explanation with the community here has failed. I have tried my best. I really have. I pored my heart out trying. But it was all for nothing.

You win. There, I have said it.

Now there is only one thing left to do. Let us see if I can sum up the strength needed to end things once and for all.
Bernkastel
Padawan Learner

Post by Bernkastel »

I've checked something. The point at which Light obtained the sketches was both before suspicion was put back on him and he still had Misa and her Shinigami eyes readily available. If something like a sketch is good enough, then there's the question of why Light didn't consider photocopying/scanning them and have Misa use the copies/scans to kill them.