Colour of Magic - My introduction into Discworld

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

madd0ct0r
Sith Acolyte

Re: Colour of Magic - My introduction into Discworld

Post by madd0ct0r »

Terry has spread several stories about the origion of the luggage, but the one I choose to believe is it was a convience item given to his party by the DM when they were roleplaying. An indestructible golem trunk for carrying items, with the catch that it would blindly obey orders. Given the Luggage, I dread to think what those orders became.
"Aid, trade, green technology and peace." - Hans Rosling.
"Welcome to SDN, where we can't see the forest because walking into trees repeatedly feels good, bro." - Mr Coffee
Irbis
Jedi Council Member

Post by Irbis »

I don't get why you guys are so fixated on Lady.
Spoiler
Didn't she basically appeared in just one book, then had cameo in another, being one of least consequential characters in the whole series? Aren't there over dozen more important to plot gods? Hell, even CMOT was more influential overall than she was, sausage peddling and all...
Pelranius
Sith Marauder

Post by Pelranius »

madd0ct0r wrote:Terry has spread several stories about the origion of the luggage, but the one I choose to believe is it was a convience item given to his party by the DM when they were roleplaying. An indestructible golem trunk for carrying items, with the catch that it would blindly obey orders. Given the Luggage, I dread to think what those orders became.
Another one was that Mr. Pratchett saw a women tugging/struggling with a fabric covered, multi wheeled suitcase at an airport.
Turns out that a five way cross over between It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia, the Ali G Show, Fargo, Idiocracy and Veep is a lot less funny when you're actually living in it.
andrewgpaul
Jedi Council Member

Post by andrewgpaul »

Irbis wrote:I don't get why you guys are so fixated on Lady.
Spoiler
Didn't she basically appeared in just one book, then had cameo in another, being one of least consequential characters in the whole series? Aren't there over dozen more important to plot gods? Hell, even CMOT was more influential overall than she was, sausage peddling and all...
She's basically responsible for the plots of Spoiler
The Colour of Magic, Interesting Times and The Last Continent
and given her nature I'm sure you could make a convincing argument for her being involved behind the scenes in other stories, too.
"So you want to live on a planet?"
"No. I think I'd find it a bit small and wierd."
"Aren't they dangerous? Don't they get hit by stuff?"
Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Post by Vendetta »

The Lady only really shows up when Rincewind is involved, she's sort of an accomplice to Fate in making his life hell as between them they are responsible for providing him a neverending supply of entertaining things to run away from. He to provide the actual things, she to ensure that he lives to run another day.
madd0ct0r
Sith Acolyte

Post by madd0ct0r »

In later books she is slowly edged out by the idea of narativium - the element that ensures one thing happens after another (first introduced in science òf dícwolrd).

I guess that parallels Pratchett's move from knockabout farce plots to more character driven stories.
"Aid, trade, green technology and peace." - Hans Rosling.
"Welcome to SDN, where we can't see the forest because walking into trees repeatedly feels good, bro." - Mr Coffee
Crossroads Inc.
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crossroads Inc. »

madd0ct0r wrote:I
I guess that parallels Pratchett's move from knockabout farce plots to more character driven stories.
This is actually something you can see in his works from "Sorcery" onwards.. As soon as "Guards Guards" comes out, most books past that begin to get increasingly "sophisticated" in terms of Plot and Character development as opposed to "Wacky and Zanny Hijinx" (not that Wacky and Zanny do not have their place of course!)

But I agree, the early books all had "The Gods" as the forces behind much of the plot, but they slowly fall by the wayside as the power of "The Story" takes over. I want to say I remember an interview with Practhett where he remarked that for Discworld, he didn't want to relay upon gods for Plot device, people were FAR more interesting :P
Praying is another way of doing nothing helpful
"Congratulations, you get a cookie. You almost got a fundamental English word correct." Pick
"Outlaw star has spaceships that punch eachother" Joviwan
Read "Tales From The Crossroads"!
Read "One Wrong Turn"!
Pelranius
Sith Marauder

Post by Pelranius »

Crossroads Inc. wrote:
madd0ct0r wrote:I
This is actually something you can see in his works from "Sorcery" onwards.. As soon as "Guards Guards" comes out, most books past that begin to get increasingly "sophisticated" in terms of Plot and Character development as opposed to "Wacky and Zanny Hijinx" (not that Wacky and Zanny do not have their place of course!)

But I agree, the early books all had "The Gods" as the forces behind much of the plot, but they slowly fall by the wayside as the power of "The Story" takes over. I want to say I remember an interview with Practhett where he remarked that for Discworld, he didn't want to relay upon gods for Plot device, people were FAR more interesting :P
To be fair, a few of the gods were interesting enough.
Turns out that a five way cross over between It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia, the Ali G Show, Fargo, Idiocracy and Veep is a lot less funny when you're actually living in it.