First picture of Jason Momoa as Aquaman.

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

Iroscato
Jedi Council Member

First picture of Jason Momoa as Aquaman.

Post by Iroscato »

I like. I like a lot. He looks like a man that could punch a shark and tell a whale what to do.
http://www.denofgeek.com/movies/aquaman ... oa-in-role
I hope the image size is acceptable for this forum?
Yeah, I've always taken the subtext of the Birther movement to be, "The rules don't count here! This is different! HE'S BLACK! BLACK, I SAY! ARE YOU ALL BLIND!?

- Raw Shark

Destiny and fate are for those too weak to forge their own futures. Where we are 'supposed' to be is irrelevent.

- SirNitram (RIP)
Purple
Sith Acolyte
Location: In a purple cube orbiting this planet. Hijacking satellites for an internet connection.

Re: First picture of Jason Momoa as Aquaman.

Post by Purple »

I don't like this portrayal one bit. Seriously, he looks like those ugly spartans from 300. No orange shirt, no green gloves, no nothing. He is not even blond.
It has become clear to me in the previous days that any attempts at reconciliation and explanation with the community here has failed. I have tried my best. I really have. I pored my heart out trying. But it was all for nothing.

You win. There, I have said it.

Now there is only one thing left to do. Let us see if I can sum up the strength needed to end things once and for all.
Borgholio
Sith Acolyte

Post by Borgholio »

Look closely, there IS orange in his armor. This poster is just faded in the style that many of the posters have been for this movie. It's likely to be more colorful in the film.

With that said, this looks like one Aquaman you don't want to fuck with. He actually looks like a mean son of a bitch.
You will be assimilated...bunghole!
Purple
Sith Acolyte
Location: In a purple cube orbiting this planet. Hijacking satellites for an internet connection.

Post by Purple »

Borgholio wrote:Look closely, there IS orange in his armor. This poster is just faded in the style that many of the posters have been for this movie. It's likely to be more colorful in the film.
Unless all that's black turns out to be orange it's still wrong.
With that said, this looks like one Aquaman you don't want to fuck with. He actually looks like a mean son of a bitch.
And that's the point really. What ever happened to superheroes being heroic? I can imagine say the Punisher pulling off a look like this. But this is supposed to be Aquaman. Can you imagine if say Superman turned out looking like this? Or if they restyled Spiderman to make his default look be like Venom?
It has become clear to me in the previous days that any attempts at reconciliation and explanation with the community here has failed. I have tried my best. I really have. I pored my heart out trying. But it was all for nothing.

Now there is only one thing left to do. Let us see if I can sum up the strength needed to end things once and for all.
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

Soooo... Aqua-Khal Drogo? Because that's what that looks like. With the tattoos and everything.

Granted the feral Aquaman thing has been done before. But it would be nice, you know, if for once Jason Momoa could do a role which didn't involve dreadlocks and looking broody...
It's a strange world. Let's keep it that way.
FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Post by FaxModem1 »

Well, this is coordinating with the 1990s version of the character, minus the hook hand, of course.

For comparison:
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

Purple wrote:
And that's the point really. What ever happened to superheroes being heroic? I can imagine say the Punisher pulling off a look like this. But this is supposed to be Aquaman. Can you imagine if say Superman turned out looking like this? Or if they restyled Spiderman to make his default look be like Venom?

Yes I can. That's basically the aquaman version of what they did to Superman in Man of Steel. Darker and Edgier. But basically the same. It affects aquaman more because aquaman's outfit isn't that iconic to start with

The core of aquaman, isn't or should be. 'is blond and wears orange' if it is, he isn't a character worth caring about anyway,
Crown
NARF

Post by Crown »

I like it, but then again I'm not a comic book guy at all.
Η ζωή, η ζωή εδω τελειώνει!
"Science is one cold-hearted bitch with a 14" strap-on" - Masuka 'Dexter'
"Angela is not the woman you think she is Gabriel, she's done terrible things"
"So have I, and I'm going to do them all to you." - Sylar to Arthur 'Heroes'
Sidewinder
Sith Acolyte

Post by Sidewinder »

I don't like the design. What the fuck is up with the fish scale tattoos? A half-hearted effort to make a human look like an Atlantean?
Please do not make Americans fight giant monsters.

Those gun nuts do not understand the meaning of "overkill," and will simply use weapon after weapon of mass destruction (WMD) until the monster is dead, or until they run out of weapons.

They have more WMD than there are monsters for us to fight. (More insanity here.)
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

The 'fish scale tattoos' are likely a suit given the break in them on the left arm (that looks a lot more like a hole in a sleeve to me than tattoos
). I could've done without what apparently are tattoos on the torso but overall, I'm okay with it (especially as, like Borgholio said, this is likely deliberately faded-the first picture we got of Diana looked equally drab). And frankly I like the modern JL/JLU look much better. The orange and green always looked silly and I could have lived without them going back to that.
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
Majin Gojira
Sith Acolyte

Post by Majin Gojira »

I don't mind the tattoos. Honestly, this casting/desgin is fine with me. I just wish there was more color in this series of films. The gray is just so 'bleh'.

I think they may be of Polynesian designs.
ISARMA: Daikaiju Coordinator: Just Add Radiation
Justice League- Molly Hayes: Respect Hats or Freakin' Else!
Browncoat
Supernatural Taisen - "[This Story] is essentially "Wouldn't it be awesome if this happened?" Followed by explosions."

Reviewing movies is a lot like Paleontology: The Evidence is there...but no one seems to agree upon it.

"God! Are you so bored that you enjoy seeing us humans suffer?! Why can't you let this poor man live happily with his son! What kind of God are you, crushing us like ants?!" - Kyoami, Ran
LaCroix
Sith Acolyte

Post by LaCroix »

You can see a nipple, so it's tattoo, skin texture(scales?) or paint. Probably Polinesian/Maori/something inspired, as Momoa already has a couple of those. Maybe they are even real, he has a lot of those, already.

His costume is badass and like the late Arthur Joseph Curry Aquaman.

And I'm fine with it.

Those who want teh "original" Aquaman in a orange/green 1940's-style hero spandex suit just because he started out in one can take a hike if they don't demand the same for

Batman

or the X-Men, in general.
A minute's thought suggests that the very idea of this is stupid. A more detailed examination raises the possibility that it might be an answer to the question "how could the Germans win the war after the US gets involved?" - Captain Seafort, in a thread proposing a 1942 'D-Day' in Quiberon Bay

I do archery skeet. With a Trebuchet.
Iroscato
Jedi Council Member

Post by Iroscato »

Not to mention Green Arrow. The Flash's costume is also considerably darker in colour than his comic book counterpart in the series. Even the most recent comic interpretations of Aquaman would look absurd on screen. The version there answers three major questions.
1) Does this guy look like he could lead a nation of superhuman fishmen who live at the bottom of the ocean? Yes.
2) Does he look like he could kick just about anyone's arse in a fight? Yes.
3) Is his appearance, while still highly outlandish, grounded enough to be taken seriously and look good on a screen? Yes.
Yeah, I've always taken the subtext of the Birther movement to be, "The rules don't count here! This is different! HE'S BLACK! BLACK, I SAY! ARE YOU ALL BLIND!?

- Raw Shark

Destiny and fate are for those too weak to forge their own futures. Where we are 'supposed' to be is irrelevent.

- SirNitram (RIP)
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

I don't see how the visible nipple means it has to be a tattoo rather than fabric but I was talking about the left arm, which does rather look like it's a fish scale motive sleeve that had a hole ripped in it.
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

With Batman and Superman, or with Wonder Woman they're serious characters and you don't have to overcome a lot of 'gag character' imagery in the public's mindset. Even with less famous DC characters like Green Lantern or Flash, if anyone's heard of them at all, they don't think of them as silly.

Aquaman is normally something of a joke character. Trying to reboot him as, well... basically Namor the Sub-Mariner with less extreme superpowers... is actually a reasonable idea.
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
Alyrium Denryle
Minister of Sin

Post by Alyrium Denryle »

Purple wrote:I don't like this portrayal one bit. Seriously, he looks like those ugly spartans from 300. No orange shirt, no green gloves, no nothing. He is not even blond.

Because of course, an Atlantean absolutely has to be a blond-haired blue eyed Aryan

*phone rings*

Could you hold on a second?

Oh. Its You. What do you want? Yeah, I'll take the message. Fucker.

*Click*

Ok. I am back. Sorry about that.

Jörg Lanz von Liebenfels called. He wants his Ariosophy back.

Is it actually important that Aquaman be blond and wearing All The Spandex? No. No it is not. Is it perhaps better that the King of Atlantis have thematically appropriate fish scale tattoos? Probably.

Is it perhaps a really awesome thing that someone other than a Lily White Male get a leading role in a DC film? Oh Hell Yes.
GALE Force Biological Agent/
BOTM/Great Dolphin Conspiracy/
Entomology and Evolutionary Biology Subdirector:SD.net Dept. of Biological Sciences

There is Grandeur in the View of Life; it fills me with a Deep Wonder, and Intense Cynicism.

Factio republicanum delenda est
Purple
Sith Acolyte

Post by Purple »

Crazedwraith wrote:
Purple wrote:

Yes I can. That's basically the aquaman version of what they did to Superman in Man of Steel. Darker and Edgier. But basically the same. It affects aquaman more because aquaman's outfit isn't that iconic to start with

The core of aquaman, isn't or should be. 'is blond and wears orange' if it is, he isn't a character worth caring about anyway,
My only real contact with aquaman is from that Batman TV cartoon that occasionally plays on Cartoon Network these days. And for me, that is who aquaman is. The always positive heroic and ready to laugh at the face of danger guy. Basically an opposite of the dark and moody batman. So making him darker kills it for me.

Also, as a side note I actually prefer the batman from that cartoon to what we get in the movies too. He is still dark and heroic but you know he is a human being under that mask. That's why I liked Batman and Robin too. It wasn't Batman 40K.

Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Post by Vendetta »

Alyrium Denryle wrote: Because of course, an Atlantean absolutely has to be a blond-haired blue eyed Aryan
In the comics, being blonde and blue eyed made him a weirdo outcast in Atlantis, so it does actually have some bearing on the character. But then that character is Aquaman about whom so few fucks are given that it's really not relevant.

Needs more bright green trousers though. DC movies are apparently afraid of colours and I am not sure that is necessarily good for them.
Enigma
is a laughing fool.

Post by Enigma »

He's not wearing a shirt but his pants are green and his shoulder armor and bracers are black and gold.

I don't mind that this iteration of Aquaman isn't blonde or a happy-go-lucky person. This is fine and I reserve my final judgement once the movie comes out.
ASVS('97)/SDN('03)

"Whilst human alchemists refer to the combustion triangle, some of their orcish counterparts see it as more of a hexagon: heat, fuel, air, laughter, screaming, fun." Dawn of the Dragons

ASSCRAVATS!
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Alyrium Denryle wrote:Is it actually important that Aquaman be blond and wearing All The Spandex? No. No it is not. Is it perhaps better that the King of Atlantis have thematically appropriate fish scale tattoos? Probably.

Is it perhaps a really awesome thing that someone other than a Lily White Male get a leading role in a DC film? Oh Hell Yes.
I agree. Dropping the orange spandex I approve of for this reason.

Dropping the blonde hair is fine although it represents a much more radical rethinking of the character's basic look. I mean, Superman traditionally has black hair, right? A blond-haired Superman would be a pretty big break with the traditional appearance of the character... but would raise the same charge of 'Ariosophy' you're throwing at Purple.

But I still have no problem with this. Or with the tattoos.

The only problem is that the combined effect of the dreadlocks AND the beard AND the coloration of the movie poster AND the tattoos are that Aquaman looks like an extra from 300, like he's stepped out of some parodically violent and gritty movie depiction of classical times. While Aquaman is certainly supposed to be a formidable fellow, he's also supposed to be capable of wisdom, good judgment, and so on.
Vendetta wrote:
Alyrium Denryle wrote: Because of course, an Atlantean absolutely has to be a blond-haired blue eyed Aryan
In the comics, being blonde and blue eyed made him a weirdo outcast in Atlantis, so it does actually have some bearing on the character. But then that character is Aquaman about whom so few fucks are given that it's really not relevant.

Needs more bright green trousers though. DC movies are apparently afraid of colours and I am not sure that is necessarily good for them.
My impression is that they're getting sucked into the "make everything gray/brown/dark" thing that some video games have. Probably because they're afraid of making the character look cartoonish, trying to distance themselves from the Silver Age portrayals the average modern reader has only seen in a Superdickery cartoon, and possibly trying to save money on the CGI budget by using light-absorbing surfaces for everything.
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

When Aquaman first came out, he was happy-go-lucky and cheerful as a dolphin, there to tell the world that the Ocean was a fantastic place to live and play.

Then, the news started getting out how badly we humans were treating the ocean, and after a while, Aquaman was changed. He was no longer as happy to have Humans in his domain. He tried for a while to teach people not to mistreat and poison the ocean, but that didn't work.

So, now he's fairly bitter about the whole Human thing, and would rather stay underwater and rule Atlantis. When he does get above, he's more sarcastic and blunt than anything else. (See Justice League vs Cthulu)

Why did I point this out? Because I like the idea of a dark, bitter Aquaman. I like seeing him as a Warrior King. And, I like seeing him as Polynesian, as most of them still retain the close connection to water their ancestors had
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
Batman
Emperor's Hand

Post by Batman »

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GWuFjWNMrc4[/youtube]
THIS is Arthur.
Batman
Emperor's Hand

Post by Batman »

Okay, that obviously didn't work. Take Two.
King of the Seas, remember?
THAT's the Arthur I want to see. And Momoa's picture looks just like that.
Enigma
is a laughing fool.

Post by Enigma »

Batman wrote:Okay, that obviously didn't work. Take Two.
The duo Arthur was up against seem like an evil version of the Wonder Twins.
ASVS('97)/SDN('03)

"Whilst human alchemists refer to the combustion triangle, some of their orcish counterparts see it as more of a hexagon: heat, fuel, air, laughter, screaming, fun." Dawn of the Dragons

ASSCRAVATS!
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

Enigma wrote:
Batman wrote:Okay, that obviously didn't work. Take Two.
The duo Arthur was up against seem like an evil version of the Wonder Twins.
that's because it's what they essentially were.
I may be an idiot, but I'm a tolerated idiot
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Oh wait, that's marijuana..."Einhander Sn0m4n