Life's too Shiort- Deleted song From Frozen

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

amigocabal
Jedi Knight

Life's too Shiort- Deleted song From Frozen

Post by amigocabal »

This was actually a great song.

FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Re: Life's too Shiort- Deleted song From Frozen

Post by FaxModem1 »

I think, while this song is good, the song shown in the film is better, as Elsa isn't being forced 'back in the closet' by her sister. In this one, Anna comes off as that relative only paying lipservice to her sister, and wants her to go back to being 'normal'.

PS, you spelled short wrong.
amigocabal
Jedi Knight

Post by amigocabal »

FaxModem1 wrote:I think, while this song is good, the song shown in the film is better, as Elsa isn't being forced 'back in the closet' by her sister. In this one, Anna comes off as that relative only paying lipservice to her sister, and wants her to go back to being 'normal'.

PS, you spelled short wrong.
The animation did show Anna showing the gloves.

One thing I like about the movie is that the villain
Spoiler
Prince Hans
is basically an expy of David Xanatos from Gargoyles. I can not recall a previous Disney animated film with a amorally pragmatic villain whose villainy was revealed in the last act.

(According to TV tropes, in an earlier draft Kristoff was supposed to knock the bad guy out after the bad guy attacks Anna and Elsa after his plan was ruined. This was cut due to being out of character for the type of villain the movie was supposed to have.)
FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Post by FaxModem1 »

No, what I mean is, in the deleted song, Anna was foisting the gloves on Elsa, making the whole 'coming out' metaphor that Frozen seems to have more plain, with Anna telling her to go back to what she was by handing her the gloves to put on, pretending and hiding, and not being herself, whereas in the actual movie, Anna doesn't care either way, as long as Elsa fixes the kingdom from freezing to death. It's better in the film, as otherwise, Anna's actions take on a negative, controlling family member vibe than desperate sister trying to reconnect to her sister.
Ryushikaze
Jedi Master

Post by Ryushikaze »

FaxModem1 wrote:No, what I mean is, in the deleted song, Anna was foisting the gloves on Elsa, making the whole 'coming out' metaphor that Frozen seems to have more plain, with Anna telling her to go back to what she was by handing her the gloves to put on, pretending and hiding, and not being herself, whereas in the actual movie, Anna doesn't care either way, as long as Elsa fixes the kingdom from freezing to death. It's better in the film, as otherwise, Anna's actions take on a negative, controlling family member vibe than desperate sister trying to reconnect to her sister.
Without the rough animations, the song still comes across as "I don't care about this, please fix the kingdom" as that's how I thought it was from the album. The roughs change things a lot, though.
amigocabal
Jedi Knight

Post by amigocabal »

Ryushikaze wrote:
FaxModem1 wrote:No, what I mean is, in the deleted song, Anna was foisting the gloves on Elsa, making the whole 'coming out' metaphor that Frozen seems to have more plain, with Anna telling her to go back to what she was by handing her the gloves to put on, pretending and hiding, and not being herself, whereas in the actual movie, Anna doesn't care either way, as long as Elsa fixes the kingdom from freezing to death. It's better in the film, as otherwise, Anna's actions take on a negative, controlling family member vibe than desperate sister trying to reconnect to her sister.
Without the rough animations, the song still comes across as "I don't care about this, please fix the kingdom" as that's how I thought it was from the album. The roughs change things a lot, though.
I interpreted the glove scene in the draft to be a misunderstanding by Anna of how Elsa's powers work, thinking that all of Elsa's ice creations would melt if the gloves were on.