Wheel of Time "pilot" on youtube

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Re: Wheel of Time "pilot" on youtube

Post by The Romulan Republic »

I thought Hawkwing besieged it but never actually took it.

Either way, the Whitecloaks seem to focus on cavalry, though they doubtlessly could deploy foot soldiers if they had to. An army that relies on cavalry seems ill-suited to assaulting fortifications.

Edit: This is going off topic though, so I'll leave it at that.
mr friendly guy
The Doctor
Location: In a 1960s police telephone box somewhere in Australia

Post by mr friendly guy »

I vaguely remembered very little happened during book 8 (Path of Daggers). Shouldn't take too many episodes. It just depends on how much you want to milk the battle with the Seanchan.
Never apologise for being a geek, because they won't apologise to you for being an arsehole. John Barrowman - 22 June 2014 Perth Supernova.

Countries I have been to - 14.
Australia, Canada, China, Colombia, Denmark, Ecuador, Finland, Germany, Malaysia, Netherlands, Norway, Singapore, Sweden, USA.
Always on the lookout for more nice places to visit.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

And how much you can milk it without going over budget.
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

regardles of the merits of the source material they'll need a better pilot.

With Game of Thrones you got sort of idea how things worked in Westeros, sure it's not complete picture but have enough info that you're not totally confused.

This pilot on the other hand threw alot of info at you at once so that people who have not read the books like myself are confused as to what's happening and what is the meaning of it for the overall story.
I may be an idiot, but I'm a tolerated idiot
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Oh wait, that's marijuana..."Einhander Sn0m4n
Gaidin
Sith Devotee

Post by Gaidin »

Napoleon the Clown wrote: Lots of stuff could be cut out or truncated at minimum. It would still be a fair bit of stuff to cover, unless you decided to cut out most of the succession crisis with Elayne. I could see people decrying that, though, considering she's one of the only women the series seems to consider important enough for her own major arc.
This is a funny thing to say given how much politics actually looks better on screen instead of just feeling like talking heads in a book...And that would largely go for the middle of the series as well. And this is something with action mixed in. Those arcs might actually work better with the proverbial visual 'walk-and-talk'.
CaptainChewbacca
Browncoat Wookiee

Post by CaptainChewbacca »

Oh God, please no Brelain. That whole storyline with her lying about fucking Perrin and nobody believing him pissed me off so much.
Stuart: The only problem is, I'm losing track of which universe I'm in.
You kinda look like Jesus. With a lightsaber.- Peregrin Toker
ImageImage
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

Ehhh... Berelain added tension and drama. Two things that television loves. Certainly her storyline could be pruned though, she basically serves as an alternate love interest that Perrin wants nothing to do with beyond needing her to bring together an alliance, which effort she turned out to be fairly important to achieve. I had gotten the impression that she didn't lie as much as let people believe what they wanted and did nothing to dispel the rumours around them. Granted, that pretty much amounts to the same thing...

There is no shortage of interpersonal drama going on in these stories to drive things along between big action sequences. You've got Rand with however many damn women chased him, Lan and Moiraine and Nynaeve, Mat with various Aes Sedai and Tuon, Perrin with Berelain and Faile... like I said, it's a bloody soap opera, romances left and right. Plus the fun relationship dynamics of the Aiel to change things up and the feminist attitudes of the author (or more properly perhaps, the editoress? I've never been able to figure out whose fault that was, Robert or Harriet's) will make for a most interesting series.

Of course, to make it all more palatable to this more male-centered society, you would have to edit out a good chunk of the egregious woman-powering. But even so, it would be a far more chick-driven series in many ways thanks to the multiple female protagonists available. Hence it's obvious who should make this series: Lifetime Channel :P
It's a strange world. Let's keep it that way.
madd0ct0r
Sith Acolyte

Post by madd0ct0r »

can't tell if you are being sarcastic about the 'feminist' bits.
"Aid, trade, green technology and peace." - Hans Rosling.
"Welcome to SDN, where we can't see the forest because walking into trees repeatedly feels good, bro." - Mr Coffee
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

Slightly. The series does get more equitable as it goes on, but the early books could be kind of annoying in the way that women apparently seem to run everything (women's circles, Aes Sedai, Wise Ones, and so forth) and tell men what to do all over the place. Of course, it's not all that different IRL sometimes... Looking at it one way, RJ was being progressive in having a strong female presence in his stories. The question is whether he overdid it or not. That particular discussion isn't one I really care to get into though, mainly due to lack of interest and as I said it's been a long time since I read the books...
It's a strange world. Let's keep it that way.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

I never finished Wheel of Time, but from what I recall of it and reading about it, I get the impression that one of the reasons the powerful female characters/groups were there was so they could be humbled and brought under control by the trio of awesome male characters. There's also the whole prophesied saviour of the world being a man thing and a bunch of other stuff. Yeah, sounds real feminist.

I think Wheel of Time could be seen as very superficially feminist if you look at a few things out of context and don't scratch the surface.

And while this is not pro-or anti-feminist, there were loads of powerful male rulers in the books.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

That said, Wheel of Time had some female characters who, while not as well-written as they might have been, at least had some notable aspects that were well-written. Moiraine is my personal favourite. She was really pivotal and came across as a rare case of an Aes Sedai whose arrogance was somewhat justified by her ability. And Nynaeve had some really good stuff toward the end of the series as I recall.