M.Night Shyamalan Wants To Return To Comics With 'Unbreakabl

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

Ted C
Sith Marauder

M.Night Shyamalan Wants To Return To Comics With 'Unbreakabl

Post by Ted C »

I'm not sure if this would be good, bad, or awful.

http://www.themovienetwork.com/article/ ... eakable-2
M. Night Shyamalan has long been one of the industry’s most polarizing filmmakers with a less than stellar track record lately. His most successful films, critically and financially have come in the first half of the 00’s with The Sixth Sense remaining his only great film. But he has been aching to return to his other breakout hit, Unbreakable for quite a while now.

Bruce Willis starred as a regular guy who survives a horrific train crash who quickly learns that he has superpowers and eventually becomes the hero he was destined to be when he meets his nemesis played by Samuel L. Jackson. He explains how difficult it was to get people excited about a comic book film, in an era where it wasn’t the norm and box office powerhouse it eventually became.

“I love those characters and I love that world. Of course, the whole world makes comic book movies now. At the time, it was completely novel. I remember when I made it, Disney was literally like, “Comic books?! There’s no market for comic books!” That’s all they make now! It was a hilarious conversation. I remember it. I was like, “Maybe you’re right. Maybe nobody will come see comic book movies.” They were like, “Those are people in little conventions who like comic books.” And I was like, “But, I like comic books!”

It’s bizarre to think how far back Unbreakable was and how original it was for its time. It lit up the box office to a worldwide gross of $248 million and became a cult favorite. The year 2000 seems like ages ago when you think about it and how expansive they have become lately. But the success of comic book films were well on their way as X-Men premiered the same year to box office glory and a few months before Unbreakable.

Even though they are in the same genre, it goes after the comic book mythos in two completely different ways. It was rather refreshing to see a comic book world treated so realistically and not be full of action sequences. Shyamalan stresses the dramatic reality of that world when it comes to Unbreakable 2 and that it would continue to be grounded in reality.

“But the beauty of the world of Unbreakable is that you’re playing it for reality. It should never feel like a comic book movie. It feels like a straight-up drama. It’s real. You’re confronting the possibility that comic book characters were based on people that were real. That’s the premise, so the tone has to be super grounded. It would be cool.”

It’s hard to argue with his thoughts on Unbreakable 2. Seeing a fantasy world that is often portrayed unrealistically treated in a serious manner is a tantalizing affair that would easily stand out among the special effects laden epics that we have gotten to know and be used too over the years. Even though it’s been 15 years, fans still clamor to see Bruce Willis rough up bad guys. Like many comic book films, it leaves you wanting more and see the story progress. There is much to go into and stretch out this new world where superheroes exist.

But that mainly depends on getting the confidence from others to bankroll another Shyamalan feature as they have been floundering very badly with his most recent film After Earth being one of his most hated and expensive films. A domestic gross of $60 million on a $130 million budget doesn’t exactly instill others to quickly jump at the offer of another film that could potentially fail. But I believe that every director can change their standing with one great film and he deserves another chance to show how talented a director he really is.
"This is supposed to be a happy occasion... Let's not bicker and argue about who killed who."
-- The King of Swamp Castle, Monty Python and the Holy Grail

"Nothing of consequence happened today. " -- Diary of King George III, July 4, 1776

"This is not bad; this is a conspiracy to remove happiness from existence. It seeks to wrap its hedgehog hand around the still beating heart of the personification of good and squeeze until it is stilled."
-- Chuck Sonnenburg on Voyager's "Elogium"
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Re: M.Night Shyamalan Wants To Return To Comics With 'Unbrea

Post by LadyTevar »

Unbreakable was one of Shamalamadingdong's few winners. The worldbuilding, script, the cinematography, and the actors all came together in one perfect whole. Even now, 15yrs later, I would suggest this movie to anyone, because it was that good. What makes it even better is how you can go back and see how the cinematography was used to not only tell the story, but bluntly laid out just who the villian was from the first.

How? Bright Colors.
The majority of the movie was done in drab colors, damn near sepia-tone. Browns, dark blues, earthy greens, nothing that stood out. Except for the those who were Guilty. The man with the gun in the stadium line had a bright jacket on. In the subway, a lady in a bright red dress, ignored for the rapist/kidnapper in the day-glo orange. Samuel L. Jackson's Joker-like purples. This let you "see" through Bruce Willis' eyes, marking them out the same way his touch-empathy was working.
It was ingenius, and something that you didn't really get until you think about it. If I'd have noticed while watching the movie, the reveal wouldn't have surprised me. Somehow, despite the obvious Chekov's Gun of brightly colored baddies, I missed the Purple Clue.

Now, there's the whole backstory of Unbreakable Heroes, and the question it leaves as to how many have been living like Bruce Willis' character all these years. But that's someplace he might be able to go with the new movie
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
DesertFly
has been designed to act as a flotation device

Post by DesertFly »

Unbreakable is one of those rare movies that I thought I hated while I watched it, but realized later that I really liked. I don't know why M. Night Shyamalan was basically unable to continue his streak of good movies (I would only recommend Signs and The Village once, and nothing after that), but I feel Unbreakable was a legitimately excellent (if slow burning) movie.
Proud member of the no sigs club.
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

The 'slow burn' is one of the reason the movie worked. It allowed the story to build, let us see more of the universe, and get into Bruce Willis' mindset. Why he gave up his dream for his wife, why he then decided to become a hero. And, why he was so horrified when he finally shook hands with Samuel L. Jackson.
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
White Haven
Sith Acolyte

Post by White Haven »

Because of the kids.

Because they called me Mister Glass.

Fucking loved Unbreakable, so I'm optimistic here. Certainly something I'll be keeping my eyes on.
Chronological Incontinence: Time warps around the poster. The thread topic winks out of existence and reappears in 1d10 posts.

Out of Context Theatre, this week starring Darth Nostril.
-'If you really want to fuck with these idiots tell them that there is a vaccine for chemtrails.'

Fiction!: The Final War (Bolo/Lovecraft) (Ch 7 9/15/11), Living (D&D, Complete)Image
Starglider
Miles Dyson

Post by Starglider »

Unbreakable was really boring. I have never understood the appeal. Shyamalan is an egotistical hack.
Zaune
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zaune »

Just as long as he doesn't put Bruce Willis in spandex. I think the world could do without that.
There are hardly any excesses of the most crazed psychopath that cannot easily be duplicated by a normal kindly family man who just comes in to work every day and has a job to do.
-- (Terry Pratchett, Small Gods)

Replace "ginger" with "n*gger," and suddenly it become a lot less funny, doesn't it?
-- fgalkin

Like my writing? Tip me on Patreon

I Have A Blog
Sidewinder
Sith Acolyte

Post by Sidewinder »

I foresee bad things happening to David Dunn (Bruce Willis' character) in the sequel, specifically, Joseph (his son) getting himself critically injured or killed while trying to find out if he inherited his father's superpowers.
Zaune wrote:Just as long as he doesn't put Bruce Willis in spandex. I think the world could do without that.
How about Samuel L. Jackson in spandex? Not that I'm interested in seeing him wear tight clothing, but wearing a supervillain costume certainly seems in-character for Elijah Price (Jackson's character).
Please do not make Americans fight giant monsters.

Those gun nuts do not understand the meaning of "overkill," and will simply use weapon after weapon of mass destruction (WMD) until the monster is dead, or until they run out of weapons.

They have more WMD than there are monsters for us to fight. (More insanity here.)
Channel72
Jedi Council Member

Post by Channel72 »

I don't see how a sequel would work here. The whole point of the first movie was not really to function as a proper superhero flick, but to show how two "ordinary" people turned out unwittingly to be a comic book hero/villain pair in real life due to genetic abnormalities - (that was the twist, after all). In that sense, I guess Shyamalan deserves credit for doing a "realistic" take on a comic book movie before Nolan's batman series.

But a sequel would just play out as a by-the-numbers comic book movie, except without any actual superhero brand names.