Game of Thrones Season 5 trailer & discussion

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

Crown
NARF

Re: Game of Thrones Season 5 trailer & discussion

Post by Crown »

Loved it, can't believe we'll have to wait until April for the show to start. Can we talk about spoilers vis-a-vis changes from the books?

Click at your own peril, don't bitch afterwards;
Spoiler
I get the feeling that Sansa is going to take on the Lady Stoneheart role, Jamie is going to Dorne to take over the Ser Arys Oakheart storyline with a Sandsnake taking over the Princess Arianne Martell role (since as far as I know she hasn't been cast). So there will be a lot of jettisoning of plot from the books this season.

I think at this point it is irrevocable that the show and the books become separate continuity and canon.

By the way your link is broken, use this one from the official HBO Game of Thrones YouTube channel; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wViILXQfX7Y
Η ζωή, η ζωή εδω τελειώνει!
"Science is one cold-hearted bitch with a 14" strap-on" - Masuka 'Dexter'
"Angela is not the woman you think she is Gabriel, she's done terrible things"
"So have I, and I'm going to do them all to you." - Sylar to Arthur 'Heroes'
Vympel
Spetsnaz
Spetsnaz

Post by Vympel »

Crown wrote:Loved it, can't believe we'll have to wait until April for the show to start. Can we talk about spoilers vis-a-vis changes from the books?
Course we can :)
Click at your own peril, don't bitch afterwards;
Spoiler
I get the feeling that Sansa is going to take on the Lady Stoneheart role, Jamie is going to Dorne to take over the Ser Arys Oakheart storyline with a Sandsnake taking over the Princess Arianne Martell role (since as far as I know she hasn't been cast). So there will be a lot of jettisoning of plot from the books this season.

I think at this point it is irrevocable that the show and the books become separate continuity and canon.
I think it was irrevocable beforehand given the massive changes to the story that were in place since Season 2 (Talisa, Ramsay Snow & Reek, etc). But as to your comments:
Spoiler
I don't know if Jaime will be taking over the Arys Oakheart story - I think they're reworking the plot completely. Trystane Martell is being touted as the heir to Dorne and apparently there's going to be some romance between him and the bastard abomination, Myrcella. If I had to speculate, I think Jaime is being sent primarily to take her home. And what happened to her Kingsguard? He did leave with her. Was he Arys Oakheart? Maybe he died offscreen. He hasn't been cast AFAIK.
By the way your link is broken, use this one from the official HBO Game of Thrones YouTube channel; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wViILXQfX7Y
Edited.
Like Legend of Galactic Heroes? Please contribute to http://gineipaedia.com/
streetad
Padawan Learner

Post by streetad »

It could actually work fairly well if
Spoiler
Sansa is taking on the LS role. So far in the books Stoneheart has mainly served as a plot device in Brienne's storyline, to put her in a position where she has to choose between the various oaths she has given, with an innocent life in the balance (Pod) - basically a parallel with Jaimie and the Mad King.

Brienne is already in the Vale, and as far as Sansa knows she's just a Lannister stooge who hangs around with Jaimie and possibly broke him out of jail/betrayed abandoned her mother. She has no reason to trust her or believe anything she has to say. It will also give Sansa and Littlefinger something extra to do whilst the other plots catch up to where they are in the book.

It would be quite easy to end the season with Jaimie and Brienne in the same place as they finish ADWD - Brienne appearing out of nowhere and asking Jaimie to go off with her.
If it turns out to be the case later on that
Spoiler
Jon Snow is revived by Rhllor magic then it would still make sense to leave the Berric Dondarrion stuff in in earlier seasons to foreshadow this.
Pelranius
Sith Marauder

Post by Pelranius »

Spoiler
Looks like fAegon has been cut, I mean they'd could plausibly not mention Griff and Young Griff being cast, but the apparent lack of Ariadne really seals the deal.
Turns out that a five way cross over between It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia, the Ali G Show, Fargo, Idiocracy and Veep is a lot less funny when you're actually living in it.
Guardsman Bass
Cowardly Codfish

Post by Guardsman Bass »

Just watched it. Some thoughts:
Spoiler
1. I'm curious as to what the whole "pulling down the Harpy" thing was. My first thought is that it was a fake-out, but that's some good money to spend on CGI just to show them pulling down a symbol of the old regime. A revolt near the end of the season?

2. Not surprised that fAegon was cut, along with Quentyn's storyline. The fAegon stuff was probably going to end with him getting roasted by Daenerys anyways (he's the "mummer's dragon" from Quaithe's prophecy), without being inseparable from the overall plot. I'm more sad but resigned about losing Quentyn, who is an interesting character trying his best to do a job that is fundamentally beyond his capabilities.

3. Without fAegon, there's no point having Tyrion go on the Rhoyne River Arc, although I'm pretty sure they'll have him somehow run into Jorah Mormont and be taken captive. Please let them work in the whole "I can drown you in gold", "I've seen a man drowned in gold before, no thanks" exchange, because that was great. Love the idea that he's going with Varys and we'll get lots of banter and exchange between the two of them on the way to Mereen.

4. Was that Cersei or Margaery in the "sexy pigtails and not-quite-armor"? Looked like Cersei. Also, news got out about the "walk of shame" that Cersei has to go through, so that's probably going to be in the season somewhere. Hopefully they'll made the reason for it good.

5. Without the Riverlands Arc, what's even the point of Jaime now? I get that he's probably going to kill Cersei later on, but he's got little else to do.

6. From what I've heard about the production, they may have filmed a "Sansa rape" scene - something that GRRM has been hinting at coming up, and something I'm dreading watching. It's all part of hoisting Littlefinger on his own petard and forcing him to flee/die, but will still be unpleasant.
“It is possible to commit no mistakes and still lose. That is not a weakness. That is life.”
-Jean-Luc Picard

"Men are afraid that women will laugh at them. Women are afraid that men will kill them."
-Margaret Atwood
Vympel
Spetsnaz
Spetsnaz

Post by Vympel »

4. Was that Cersei or Margaery in the "sexy pigtails and not-quite-armor"? Looked like Cersei. Also, news got out about the "walk of shame" that Cersei has to go through, so that's probably going to be in the season somewhere. Hopefully they'll made the reason for it good.
Neither, that was just an incredibly hot chick. Probably a prostitute.
Pelranius
Sith Marauder

Post by Pelranius »

Going back to some complaints about the end of Season 4:
Spoiler
If Lady Stoneheart doesn't show up, I bet Abe Setrakian mistook her for a Strigoi, especially given her new nom de guerre (sp)
:P
Turns out that a five way cross over between It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia, the Ali G Show, Fargo, Idiocracy and Veep is a lot less funny when you're actually living in it.
Ralin
Sith Marauder

Post by Ralin »

Spoiler
Man, wouldn't it be great if Ser Robert Strong was played by Ser Gregor's original actor from season one?
Pelranius
Sith Marauder

Post by Pelranius »

Ralin wrote:Spoiler
Man, wouldn't it be great if Ser Robert Strong was played by Ser Gregor's original actor from season one?
Spoiler
Well, it's not like we need to see his face anyways
Ralin
Sith Marauder

Post by Ralin »

Spoiler
Of course we do. If he doesn't take his helmet off how will the audience recognize him?
Vympel
Spetsnaz
Spetsnaz

Post by Vympel »

Game of Thrones Season 5 Trailer, #2:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H6a3HfOxlsI

This trailer is far superior to the original. Because it has Stannis. And people talking about Stannis.

Mega spoiler for Season 5, both for book readers and TV unsullied:
Spoiler
Sansa is going to Winterfell
Ralin
Sith Marauder

Post by Ralin »

[spoiler="Book Spoilers]You know... They changed the "Jaime Lannister sends his regards" line at the Red Wedding to "The Lannisters send their regards." So if she exists in the show Lady Stoneheart has no particular reason to blame Jaime or Brienne.

As opposed to Roose Bolton. Who actually did betray and murder her son.[/spoiler]
Guardsman Bass
Cowardly Codfish

Post by Guardsman Bass »

Vympel wrote: Mega spoiler for Season 5, both for book readers and TV unsullied:
Spoiler
That's fitting. What I suspect will happen with Sansa and Littlefinger in the books is that Littlefinger is going to try and rape her, but she'll somehow turn the tables on him so that he ends up fleeing into the Riverlands - whereupon Zombie Catelyn kills him. No idea in the show, although I suspect they'll have him die either in the Vale or on the run. Hell, maybe Brienne will kill him - last we saw her, she was wandering around the Vale after mortally wounding Sandor Clegane.

I am really hoping they don't fuck up the Cersei Walk of Shame.
On a side-note, but has anyone else seen the picture they released from the 2016 Calendar for A Song of Ice and Fire? It has, in my opinion, the best picture depiction of an Other/White Walker as described in the books that I've ever seen.
“It is possible to commit no mistakes and still lose. That is not a weakness. That is life.”
-Jean-Luc Picard

"Men are afraid that women will laugh at them. Women are afraid that men will kill them."
-Margaret Atwood
Pelranius
Sith Marauder

Post by Pelranius »

Spoiler
So are we going to see the Battle on the Ice? I mean D&D will have to already pay for the Mereen and Hardhome fights, but it would be a real shame to skip the Stannis vs. Roose showdown we've been waiting for.

Bet Melisandre will try to burn Shireen and Rickon in the last episode.