Ant-Man Teaser

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

ANGELUS
Padawan Learner

Ant-Man Teaser

Post by ANGELUS »

Didn't see this around, so here it goes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xInh3VhAWs8
~ Some men just want to watch the world burn ~
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Re: Ant-Man Teaser

Post by Elheru Aran »

Well. Not bad. It'll be interesting to see how Paul Rudd deals with acting behind a full-face mask like that. Of course he'll probably wear it all of five minutes straight when he's 'full size', but otherwise... looks good. Who's the bad guy supposed to be?
It's a strange world. Let's keep it that way.
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

A combination of Darren Cross and the Yellowjacket (as a single character) from the comics from what I've heard.
I may be an idiot, but I'm a tolerated idiot
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Oh wait, that's marijuana..."Einhander Sn0m4n
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

Huh, the only version of Yellowjacket I'm familiar with is the Hank Pym one. But frankly I'm not familiar with Ant-Man, so this will be new territory for me. That'll be nice for a change.
EnterpriseSovereign
Sith Marauder

Post by EnterpriseSovereign »

When I first heard about Marvel doing an Ant-Man film I read up on Ant-Man and found myself skeptical to say the least. Thus far my opinion is largely unchanged- this might be one of those films that's predicted to suck but actully turns out to be pretty good :lol:
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

EnterpriseSovereign wrote:When I first heard about Marvel doing an Ant-Man film I read up on Ant-Man and found myself skeptical to say the least. Thus far my opinion is largely unchanged- this might be one of those films that's predicted to suck but actully turns out to be pretty good :lol:
Reminds me of another trailer
You might have heard of me by another name....
Starlord
Who?
It's Marvel, they have had what nine movies which at the very worst were okay with some great gems in there. Iron Man 1 is still a great movie. Avengers is still the giant super hero team up movie my inner six year old has been waiting for twenty plus years now, Captain 1 and 2 were both great reasons and Thor 1 had some excellent humor. The weaker movies of Thor 2, Iron man 2/3 all still had at least thirty minutes of good movie in them and Guardians start to finish is a movie that just makes you smile despite having a plot so drenched in random planet names it makes little sense and with the weakest villain to date.

Everyone predicted the one with the talking Racoon and Treebeard would be a flop but it was the best money maker after the Avengers and outdid Iron Man 1 so I'll reserve my judgment on Ant-man until we get something better than voice-over trailer. This is 90% one person talking with random scenes from a movie. To date I've only seen one such trailer that was effective with voiceover and random scenes from movie And that was fan made

"A cult is a religion with no political power." -Tom Wolfe
Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
EnterpriseSovereign
Sith Marauder

Post by EnterpriseSovereign »

I spent most of the trailer wanting to see what they could do with the Ant-Man ability, so far it's been a bit "Meh".

I'm not ashamed to say my main worry is that Age of Ultron is going to suck, after the sheer awesomeness that was The Avengers. Don't get me wrong, I want it to be a worthy follow-up, I'm just concerned that with the bar being set so high it's going to be a tough act to follow...
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

Given the subject, it looks good. However, if Rudd is Lang, does that make Micheal Douglas Hank Pym?
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
"Mostly Harmless Nutcase"
Iroscato
Jedi Council Member

Post by Iroscato »

Havok wrote:Given the subject, it looks good. However, if Rudd is Lang, does that make Micheal Douglas Hank Pym?
Yeah, looks as though Pym was the Ant-Man back in the 60's. I have a feeling Howard Stark might turn up at some point in flashback form...
Yeah, I've always taken the subtext of the Birther movement to be, "The rules don't count here! This is different! HE'S BLACK! BLACK, I SAY! ARE YOU ALL BLIND!?

- Raw Shark

Destiny and fate are for those too weak to forge their own futures. Where we are 'supposed' to be is irrelevent.

- SirNitram (RIP)
FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Post by FaxModem1 »

So, if we're not following Hank Pym, hopefully, they'll avoid what Ant-Man is most famous for in pop culture: domestic abuse. That is if they've even heard of him in the first place. Though they might keep the part about him creating Ultron.
Joun_Lord
Jedi Master

Post by Joun_Lord »

I reserve judgement until the movie comes out because like Guardians it looks crappy by trailer and concept but might turn out to be a gem.

I ain't saying Marvel can do no wrong though. Iron Mang 2 was pretty mediocre and Regular Man Tripple was just a bad movie. I forsee that this movie might have some of the same problem plaguing all the Iron Mon movies, not enough Iron Man or in this case Ant Mang. Yes I know the movies should be about the characters but one of the main reason adults and children watch these movies is to see superheros smacking around villains like they are reenacting a Hank Pym marriage, not to see Regular Man piss and moan about falling through the space vagina or fight (not Hank Pym style) with his girlfriend.

One thing I do like about this trailer is the helmet of the Ant Man suit. It reminds me alot of the Enclave Advanced Power Armor MKII from Fallout Tripple.
Civil War Man
NERRRRRDS!!!

Post by Civil War Man »

Havok wrote:Given the subject, it looks good. However, if Rudd is Lang, does that make Micheal Douglas Hank Pym?
According to IMDB, yes.
Chimaera wrote:Yeah, looks as though Pym was the Ant-Man back in the 60's. I have a feeling Howard Stark might turn up at some point in flashback form...
Quite possible. IMDB also lists John Slattery (IM2 Howard Stark) as replaying Howard Stark in Ant-Man.
FaxModem1 wrote:So, if we're not following Hank Pym, hopefully, they'll avoid what Ant-Man is most famous for in pop culture: domestic abuse. That is if they've even heard of him in the first place. Though they might keep the part about him creating Ultron.
I have the feeling that that's exactly the reason they are leading with Lang. By largely glossing over the Pym era, or only covering him through flashbacks, it allows them to make an Ant-Man movie while avoiding some of the character's worst baggage.
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

That's one version of Pym. There have literally been dozens where that doesn't happen. It's not an ingrained character trait like Cap being from WWII or Thor having Mjolnir or Stark having the shrapnel nearing his heart.
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

Havok wrote:That's one version of Pym. There have literally been dozens where that doesn't happen. It's not an ingrained character trait like Cap being from WWII or Thor having Mjolnir or Stark having the shrapnel nearing his heart.
No, but it's been brought up often enough in recent history that fans, at least, will remember it. "Hank Pym? You mean the growing guy from Ultimates that sicced ants on his wife and got his ass kicked by Cap for it? Oh yeah, that guy"...
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

Oh did they do it in Ultimates too. OK, so that's two versions, the first from 1981.

And wow, The Ultimates didn't do him any favors did they. However, it's only two stories.

Still, though, it's a minor character point and if they didn't address Stark's alcoholism, I don't think they will address this with Pym.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
Civil War Man
NERRRRRDS!!!

Post by Civil War Man »

They may not address it specifically, since so far there is no mention in the cast list of Janet Van Dyne (though Evangeline Lilly is cast as Hope Van Dyne, so it might still be addressed in some way). However, if they don't, I could see them having a flashback showing Pym doing something equally damaging. Having Ant-Man be a superhero in the 60s who gets his career cut short when he screws up in a bad way would certainly explain why no one mentions him even in passing in a series that loves to do those kinds of shout-outs. It could also be a reason why Pym takes a special interest in Lang and emphasizes not letting second chances pass by. He's trying to help Lang keep what he personally lost.
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

Ah, the mentor redeemed through the mentee*. Interesting.

*Is that a word? :lol:
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

They kind of... did address Stark's alcoholism. It's a significant issue in Iron Man 2 that he's getting drunk in his power armor at the party, which contributes to Rhodes being able to hold his own against him. Although to be fair they kind of mingle the alcohol issue with other health problems (the palladium in chest in Iron Man 2, and the PTSD issues in Iron Man 3).

They also make Stark be more generally rash, irresponsible, and borderline manic, which helps to create a sense that there is something wrong with his personality even if it isn't directly related to a drinking problem.
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
Terralthra
Requiescat in Pace

Post by Terralthra »

Havok wrote:Ah, the mentor redeemed through the mentee*. Interesting.

*Is that a word? :lol:
Yep.
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

I suspect they're saving something along the 'Demon in a Bottle' storyline for later with Stark's character, further down the line of MCU films. But it's possible they may have decided that in the broader view of things, one man's alcoholism-- even such a high profile character as Iron Man-- is somewhat small potatoes, and they don't need to make it the subject of an entire film or whatever. More like they will show it as a continuous problem, that culminates in causing a crisis down the road. They have definitely thought out their films well in advance, so it's probably something they considered. Whether they'll incorporate it or not is for us to find out. Very likely this is why they went with Scott Lang versus Pym-- Hank Pym would not necessarily be the best choice at this point.
InsaneTD
Jedi Knight

Post by InsaneTD »

Well since RDJ refuses to sign for another iron man, we won't see that.
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

InsaneTD wrote:Well since RDJ refuses to sign for another iron man, we won't see that.
Another Iron Man, no, but he's signed up for Captain America 3: Civil War, and presumably the Marvel production group wouldn't have planned at least three movies in which he would have to be a significant character that far in advance (Captain America 3, Avengers Infinity War 1 and II) without being fairly certain he would be part of them. But I am leaning more towards Simon's idea that it's a background part of his character, which may be addressed directly in Age of Ultron in order to lay groundwork for incorporating a resolution to that particular fundamental character arc in CA3 and the Infinity War movies.
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

You morons think that because Stark got drunk on what he thought was going to be his last birthday because he assumed he would be dead before his next one, that that portrays a supposed problem with alcoholism? Oh fucking man.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)