Hunger Games Mocking Jay part 1

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

dragon
Sith Marauder

Hunger Games Mocking Jay part 1

Post by dragon »

Didn't get to see it this weekend. Has anyone seen it and if so how was it?
"There are very few problems that cannot be solved by the suitable application of photon torpedoes
FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Re: Hunger Games Mocking Jay part 1

Post by FaxModem1 »

It's the best of the film series so far. The Hanging Tree song sequence was a rather powerful scene. Though the storming of the Tribute building felt a bit like a Hunger Games video game adaptation. I rather loved the characters in this movie, and Effie Trinket shows how to do a comic relief character in a serious drama without feeling out of place. I eagerly await the sequel.
Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf »

I liked it, mainly because it was a fun film about duelling propagandists as opposed to a standard rebels/empire story.

I also enjoyed the suicide bombers. :P
"Oh no, oh yeah, tell me how can it be so fair
That we dying younger hiding from the police man over there
Just for breathing in the air they wanna leave me in the chair
Electric shocking body rocking beat streeting me to death"

- A.B. Original, Report to the Mist

"I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."
- George Carlin
RogueIce
_______

Post by RogueIce »

A good story. If you're expecting straight action, you'll be disappointed as it takes awhile before they really start doing stuff. I don't feel like that detracts from it too much though, even if Katniss really only uses her bow once - but when she does, she makes it count. ;)

Overall though, it's a Part 1, so plenty of setup. But it never felt boring to me, and had some good twists and turns while making me excited for Part 2.

I just don't know what they'll do with Phillip Seymour Hoffman's character, though. He was damned good in this movie, I must say. But such a tragedy... :(
"How can I wait unknowing?
This is the price of war,
We rise with noble intentions,
And we risk all that is pure..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, Forever (Rome: Total War)

"On and on, through the years,
The war continues on..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, We Are All One (Medieval 2: Total War)
"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear." - Ambrose Redmoon
"You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain." - Harvey Dent, The Dark Knight
SCRawl
Has a bad feeling about this.

Post by SCRawl »

RogueIce wrote: I just don't know what they'll do with Phillip Seymour Hoffman's character, though. He was damned good in this movie, I must say. But such a tragedy... :(
According to imdb he's in the finale, so they must have gotten his scenes in the can before he became unavailable.
73% of all statistics are made up, including this one.

I'm waiting as fast as I can.
FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Post by FaxModem1 »

Supposedly, they filmed most of his scenes before his death, as they filmed both movies at the same time.
Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf »

Yeah, I spent a lot of time in his scenes looking for possible body doubles or evidence of edits around his absence.
"Oh no, oh yeah, tell me how can it be so fair
That we dying younger hiding from the police man over there
Just for breathing in the air they wanna leave me in the chair
Electric shocking body rocking beat streeting me to death"

- A.B. Original, Report to the Mist

"I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."
- George Carlin
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

I have heard that they had enough film of Hoffman from the cutting room floor that they can wiggle believable scenes with him. Dialogue might be another matter, but even him just glaring from a window silently could make a strong point in the right context.

Technology has also advanced since "The Crow", where a good 20min of film was nothing but body double and film tricks. I think they'll be able to pull it off as a grand tribute to the man.
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
Patroklos
Sith Devotee

Post by Patroklos »

I was cool with the movie until they went from giving Katniss a bow and arrow as a propaganda image to sending Katniss into combat, actual combat, with the bow and arrow instead of a gun. Even that I could excuse until they mentioned the combat trident...

Also the LEET hacker stuff.

But those did not derail the entire movie. It was fun, and as someone said above not focusing just on combat but also the information/misinformation angle was refreshing.
SCRawl
Has a bad feeling about this.

Post by SCRawl »

Patroklos wrote:I was cool with the movie until they went from giving Katniss a bow and arrow as a propaganda image to sending Katniss into combat, actual combat, with the bow and arrow instead of a gun. Even that I could excuse until they mentioned the combat trident...

Also the LEET hacker stuff.

But those did not derail the entire movie. It was fun, and as someone said above not focusing just on combat but also the information/misinformation angle was refreshing.
In the book they gave her a gun as well. I'm not sure at what point in the book the film ends.

But the whole "victor platoon" (or whatever it was called -- the combat unit composed primarily of victors) was assembled and sent into combat for propaganda purposes. There might even have been another reason...
73% of all statistics are made up, including this one.

I'm waiting as fast as I can.
FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Post by FaxModem1 »

There was also the stipulation that if she died, that the only important thing was getting it on camera.

Shouldn't this be in Other Sci-Fi?
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

Saw it over the weekend, despite not having read the books or seen the second film.

It was pretty good, I picked up most of what had been going on in the previous film and it was entertain and comprehensible. And I liked how Katniss was entire unable to act in the propaganda reels.
Spoiler
Peeta's attack on Katniss was amazingly sudden and brutal though, sort of standout moment for the film for me. Still those brainwash techniques must be pretty damn fast to get him from 'warn katniss of danger!' and 'beserker attack her on sight' in the time shown. It didn't feel like the attack of district 13 was supposed to have taken very long.