Judge Dredd (1995) Vs Dredd (2012)

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

Which One Do You Prefer And Why?

Poll ended at 2015-11-19 05:45am

Judge Dredd (1995) I am... THE LAW!
17%
Dredd (2012) I am the law...
74%
They Both Suck Because Neither One Used Anthrax's Song 'I Am the Law'
9%

Total votes: 46

Purple
Sith Acolyte
Location: In a purple cube orbiting this planet. Hijacking satellites for an internet connection.

Re: Judge Dredd (1995) Vs Dredd (2012)

Post by Purple »

Jub wrote:Pray tell, how did the finite ammo and the use of cover in Dredd prevent character development and retard the action scenes? How would a staged lady fight have helped rookie Anderson develop within the context of the movie? How would a stupid bad guy have improved the story?
Well I have not seen the movie so I can't comment on #1. But a staged lady fight would have been mildly amusing to watch simply due to the inertia attached to it. It's just a trope that's so repeated that for better or worse the expectation is there to always see it.
As it was Dredd was already a great action flick with plenty of violent scenes, a good amount of gore, a few nice lines here and there, and an atmosphere that fit the comics the movie was based on. How would following your suggestions have made it a more enjoyable movie?
As I said, I have not seen the movie it self nor read (or care about) the source material. I just found Stallone blowing a car up to be awesome to no end.
It has become clear to me in the previous days that any attempts at reconciliation and explanation with the community here has failed. I have tried my best. I really have. I pored my heart out trying. But it was all for nothing.

You win. There, I have said it.

Now there is only one thing left to do. Let us see if I can sum up the strength needed to end things once and for all.
Joun_Lord
Jedi Master

Post by Joun_Lord »

Purple wrote:
Joun_Lord wrote:I may be misreading you but are you actually saying you like infinite ammo, designated lady fights, moron bad guys, and invincible heroes who bum rush enemies rather then using tactics or cover?
Yes. I prefer to have the plot revolve around the characters and not around how much ammo they have. And modern video games have more or less over saturated me with the whole realistic cover thing. But that might be temporary.
The heroes and villains not using pants on head retarded tactics and having magazines that approach somewhere near a realistic amount doesn't really take or add anything to the characters development. Any plot points they involve are minor to add some realism fluff and show actions, like action scenes, have consequences. You rush some doods with no thought towards tactics you get hurt, you blaze away with a semi or full auto weapon and you will deplete your limited pool of ammunition.

The movie isn't like watching a Carl on Dooty game with guys popping out of cover and reloading every half second, its still pretty character driven. Just the characters act more human and sensible. It would be like watching an horror movie where the big titted blonde cheerleader doesn't run up the stairs and doesn't drop the killers knife, it can still have suspense and horror and junk and stuff but the characters don't act like lemmings. Though to my knowledge a horror movie like dat doesn't exist, which is sad.

Also mon, if you like Dredd in any of his forms at all you need to do yourself a favor and watch this movie.
2000AD
Emperor's Hand

Post by 2000AD »

2012 by a country mile. '95 was a Stallone sci-fi action film with a Judge Dredd cover thrown over the top of it, '12 was an actual Judge Dredd film.

Case in point, 95 had Dredd take off his helmet and show his face! That's as far removed from the character as having a film where Superman kills someone.
Ph34r teh eyebrow!!11!Writers Guild Sluggite Pawn of Chaos WYGIWYGAINGW so now i have to put ACPATHNTDWATGODW in my sig EBC-Honorary Geordie
Hammerman! Hammer!
Block
Jedi Council Member

Post by Block »

'95 and it isn't close. The most recent one was about as generic as it gets, bloody and boring.
NeoGoomba
Sith Devotee

Post by NeoGoomba »

Urban's movie blew the doors off as a tight action movie that wasn't shy about anything. Loved every minute of it, from Anderson to Avon Barksdale to the Dark Judges showing up. And that slo-mo effect was pretty damn...er, pretty.

Stallone's version always makes me watch Demolition Man immediately afterwards. So I think that makes it better? :P
"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it. Fifteen hundred years ago everybody knew the Earth was the center of the universe. Five hundred years ago, everybody knew the Earth was flat, and fifteen minutes ago, you knew that humans were alone on this planet. Imagine what you'll know...tomorrow."
-Agent Kay
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

Judge Dredd:
Mega City One: I think they did a much better job getting the overcrowded 500 Million people in one big ass city feel. It feels cramped. You also do get the better view of the people through Schneider and how they live and interact. The buildings were a tiny bit to futuristic for me, but that varies wildly in the comics. All the little droids and machines every where was a nice touch.

Judges: The uniforms were better, and more accurate. I would have preferred leather instead of cloth, but other wise they were great. They took some liberties with the helmet, but it wasn't much more than a different artist using different angles to me. The Lawmaster was far better looking to me as the more Harley-ish version of the two and I think more appropriate to Dredd as he was created, which was in the old west sheriff, tough satirical, Dirty Harry cop sorta vein. 'MERICAN and over the top suits him better. The other Judges that we see too, the Judges that arrest Dredd, the guards, they all add much more gestapo fell to the organization, which to me is appropriate.

The Story: Tried to be way to epic. It needed to be dialed back. You could have just done the Rico story line and left all the cloning and trying to save the city out of it. Mega City One is always on the brink of something so it doesn't really matter. They tried to just play it off like it was just another day in the life of Dredd, but c'mon, it obviously wasn't and at the end... what the fuck changed? Nothing. If anything, what Dredd did made it WAY worse. And I somehow think Dredd would be in favor of a city of clone Judges. :lol: In the end it was just a big hero saves the day story, which is fine for Dredd, just not as an introduction.

Stallone: Better chin. Better voice for it. He also, to me, got Dredd's humor down better. Dry, and sarcastic. It got lost in the "I knew you'd say that." and the other attempts at forcing in the one liners, however, don't think that Dredd doesn't have one liners because you are flat wrong*. Plus blowing up the guy's car, telling Fergie that suicide is legal, the joke about the flying LawMaster were all spot on Dredd "humor". In the end though, nothing changes and he is the same character we see from his introduction. In an "epic" story like this there should be some growth, but there isn't. He just finds stuff out and is proven correct, but nothing changes.

Dredd:
Mega City One: Honestly, it is too clean looking and spread out. It looked like a big sterile Los Angeles. It has a very realistic feel to it which is great and it feels appropriately massive, but it loses the almost comical cramped feeling the comics convey. It also is very horizontal. I know they go up all those stories in the block, but in the establishing shots it looks flat. It does itself add to the dark humor a bit with the giant door closing on the sex beggar and the droids just mopping up the bodies and blood in such a common place manner.

Judges: Can barely tell them apart. Intimidating as all hell. Super gestapo feel. Almost perfect... EXCEPT the uniforms. After the helmets which are absolutely TITS!, they lose me. I mean, I like them, but it's not Dredd. In the context of realism, it's probably what they would look like, but meh... just too tacticool and boring for Dredd for me. Ugh and the Victory Vision LawMaster... barf.

The Story: Pretty perfect as far a what they were aiming for and what a proper introductory story for Dredd should be. Just a day in the life of Dredd, but with a few little things of note which makes it a story to actually tell. He took out the bad Judges, which are NOT the Dark Judges by the way, called for back up and actually bent/ignored a rule for Anderson. There is some actual character growth in the course of being Dredd, whereas the Stallone version has to not be Dredd to learn anything, and even then he doesn't really. He was just proven correct. I absolutely could have done without all the 3D nonsense though. The stark violence of the comics is far better served in Dredd though by far.

Urban: A very good Dredd, but I would have preferred Stallone's Dredd in this story, but with a little more of Urban's malicious seriousness in the delivery. Also, and while I liked it too, Dredd does just go in guns blazing and not using super tacticool tactics quite a bit and is the most often used, to my recollection, version because he is supposed to satire the American Anti-Hero Action Cop. That said, I CRAVE another go round with Urban.

All in all, I like the new one more due to the story and what it didn't do as much as for what it did. The characters of Anderson and Dredd are far better served. Hershey wasn't a bad character, but she was so run of the mill and Fergie was just too annoying to get past even though he wasn't bad for a adventure sidekick and calling Dredd on his bullshit. Armand Assante just blows whatsherface away as a villain, but he's fucking Armand Assante. lol

However Dredd just isn't as much fun as Judge Dredd and all and all I probably watch '95 more often than '12.

I almost wish someone would do a fan edit and just mash the two movies together somehow.

Oh...
LawGiver: Both suck. No dial. :D

* Yeah, those one liners sure are lame.
:P
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
"Mostly Harmless Nutcase"