Big Hero 6 (movie)

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

Zor
Sith Acolyte

Big Hero 6 (movie)

Post by Zor »

This movie is pretty damn awesome. It's beautiful, it's funny and it makes excellent make-Asimov's-ghost-cry-tears-of-joy use of robots. You should go see it.

Zor
HAIL ZOR! WE'LL BLOW UP THE OCEAN!
Heros of Cybertron-HAB-Keeper of the Vicious pit of Allosauruses-King Leighton-I, United Kingdom of Zoria: SD.net World/Tsar Mikhail-I of the Red Tsardom: SD.net Kingdoms
WHEN ALL HELL BREAKS LOOSE ON EARTH, ALL EARTH BREAKS LOOSE ON HELL
Terran Sphere
The Art of Zor
TOSDOC
Padawan Learner
Location: Rotating between Redshirt Hospital and the Stormtrooper School of Marksmanship.

Re: Big Hero 6 (movie)

Post by TOSDOC »

I did. I had to grab double hand-fulls of theater napkins for my wife and kids to get through it, but it was worth it. This movie really tries to tug at your heart-strings, and it's also a robot-lover's dream. I saw an impressive list of national and international robotics whizzes on the "Special Thanks To" credits for the movie. Strict fans of the comics will probably raise eyebrows at how the Big Hero 6 characters have been adapted for the screen, but for the rest of us it's a very amusing ride and a great movie.
"In the long run, however, there can be no excuse for any individual not knowing what it is possible for him to know. Why shouldn't he?" --Elliot Grosvenor, Voyage of the Space Beagle
Crossroads Inc.
Emperor's Hand

Re: Big Hero 6 (movie)

Post by Crossroads Inc. »

Non spoiler Review:
AMAZING movie! Disney really seems to have blossomed in terms of being able to find writers who know how to make actual ‘entertaining’ movies as opposed to simply ‘family friendly’ one. Ever since they did “Wreck it Ralph” Disney seems to be doing pretty good.
The movie… Well defiantly one to “turn off the brain” they make a big deal about “SCIENCE RULES!” which is awesome… Of course don’t try to think too hard about how that Science actually works…
You can see the effort they put into the movie in a lot of places. Visually it was stunning. It was nice to see a future version of a “Real” city like San Francisco, as opposed to ‘generic cities’ we usually get. I mean, they didn’t just do a “version” of SF, I could recognize buildings streets, cable car layouts. Very impressive.

Spoiler
ok.. So let’s start spoiling things.
To begin with, we have the classic “Parents dead” we all knew was coming, no wonder Disney liked the concept of the comic book
The set up was nice, the Bot fights cool, and that magnetic “multi bot” of Hero’s was freaking amazing.
Of course then he comes out with the “micro bots” which, after my brain got over the amount of laws of physics they were breaking, found to be really freaking cool… I mean imagine having something like that in the real world, the amount that could be done with it.

Now if we are speaking about really amazing Tech, how about Baymax himself?
A nearly sapient robot, able of processing and downloading VAST amounts of data in seconds… Something that is able to “scan” a human in seconds and know even the smallest physical ailments and then proscribe a treatment? Talk about something that would revolutionize Health care! Imagine having one in your house for emergencies, or in overcrowded hospitals that never have enough staff to care for everyone?
Baymax pre “upgrade” is impressive enough to be perhaps a truly world changing tech. Everything afterwards was sort of standard “Super Hero Powers” in terms of flying, and fighting and such…
Moving on, who else doubt that the overly evil business tycoon was the bad guy right from the beginning? I wasn’t sure who it was, but I KNEW it wasn’t going to be “Mr obvious”

Of course, once we find out that it is “Mr nice professor” Well… You really have to examine his actions… I mean, from what little we see before the fire, the professor didn’t seem all that crazed yet he goes all “super villain”.
Knowing now that he WAS the professor, well first off why attack Hero? I mean, knowing that the Prof obviously cares about Hero and sees him as a capable student, he should have approached him, un masked, in the warehouse with something about “Hey I escaped the fire, oh and I salvaged your Microbots!” You could even have him tell Hero that it was Mr Evil Tycoon who is responsible for his brother’s death, and of course finds out the truth later…
Still you can’t complain too much… It IS a Disney film AND a comic book film. So good logical thoughts are of course not what one should be looking for.
Oh, lastly the ‘Cameo’ by Stan Lee, not sure what to think about that… But made me chuckle.
Praying is another way of doing nothing helpful
"Congratulations, you get a cookie. You almost got a fundamental English word correct." Pick
"Outlaw star has spaceships that punch eachother" Joviwan
Read "Tales From The Crossroads"!
Read "One Wrong Turn"!