New Trailer For "The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies"

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

FSTargetDrone
Emperor's Hand

New Trailer For "The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies"

Post by FSTargetDrone »

Whoo, troll-mounted siege weapons!
Ahriman238
Sith Marauder

Re: New Trailer For "The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armi

Post by Ahriman238 »

This is going to be so very stupid, and insulting to the book. And the worst part is, I'll go and watch it anyways.
"Any plan which requires the direct intervention of any deity to work can be assumed to be a very poor one."- Newbiespud
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

There seems to be remarkably little of Bilbo in a trailer for 'The Hobbit'
streetad
Padawan Learner

Post by streetad »

Crazedwraith wrote:There seems to be remarkably little of Bilbo in a trailer for 'The Hobbit'
And yet quite a large amount of Sir Not-Appearing-in-this-Book Legolas...
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

If we excise everything from the movies that didn't actually happen in the book there's not much left.
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

Batman wrote:If we excise everything from the movies that didn't actually happen in the book there's not much left.
Say you know... maybe one movie's worth of material?

One movie per book. A radical suggestion I realise.
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

Get lost. Next you're going to tell me that since The Hobbit was considerably shorter than any of the LotR books it could likely have been done in an ordinary length movie.
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
Hillary
Jedi Master

Post by Hillary »

Batman wrote:Get lost. Next you're going to tell me that since The Hobbit was considerably shorter than any of the LotR books it could likely have been done in an ordinary length movie.
But where would be the money fun in that
What is WRONG with you people
Purple
Sith Acolyte
Location: In a purple cube orbiting this planet. Hijacking satellites for an internet connection.

Post by Purple »

Ahriman238 wrote:This is going to be so very stupid, and insulting to the book. And the worst part is, I'll go and watch it anyways.
I won't. After what they did with the other parts I have basically completely abandoned cinema as a whole. It's all just crap these days.
It has become clear to me in the previous days that any attempts at reconciliation and explanation with the community here has failed. I have tried my best. I really have. I pored my heart out trying. But it was all for nothing.

You win. There, I have said it.

Now there is only one thing left to do. Let us see if I can sum up the strength needed to end things once and for all.
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

So you've gone to the other extreme! Well done, that's no less silly.
Purple
Sith Acolyte
Location: In a purple cube orbiting this planet. Hijacking satellites for an internet connection.

Post by Purple »

Crazedwraith wrote:So you've gone to the other extreme! Well done, that's no less silly.
Well, the way I see it all of the movies coming out recently have been big hollywood exploitation pieces working to cash in on some old IP or the other. And quite honestly I am sick and tired of those. So I'll just stick to film festivals and artsy stuff and leave mainstream movies to those that have a stomach stronger than I.
It has become clear to me in the previous days that any attempts at reconciliation and explanation with the community here has failed. I have tried my best. I really have. I pored my heart out trying. But it was all for nothing.

Now there is only one thing left to do. Let us see if I can sum up the strength needed to end things once and for all.
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

I find The Hobbit adaption immensely boring and unfun. Which is odd because I know that is how people feel about LOTR that really like The Hobbit book.
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
"Mostly Harmless Nutcase"
Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf »

I think a part of the issue is that Jackson just isn't bringing the same mojo he brought to LoTR. With LoTR there was an incredibly detailed world, with lots of attention paid to the small things. Huge parts of the Hobbit films feel like he just handed it off to the effects people and said "Give me ten minutes of content."
"Oh no, oh yeah, tell me how can it be so fair
That we dying younger hiding from the police man over there
Just for breathing in the air they wanna leave me in the chair
Electric shocking body rocking beat streeting me to death"

- A.B. Original, Report to the Mist

"I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."
- George Carlin
Purple
Sith Acolyte

Post by Purple »

Havok wrote:I find The Hobbit adaption immensely boring and unfun. Which is odd because I know that is how people feel about LOTR that really like The Hobbit book.
That's because they quite literally butchered the work. And I am not talking about this in the usual metaphorical outrage sense. Basically, the entire point of the work is to present Bilbo, an everyman hero who likes smoking his pipe and newer had any adventures and thrust him into danger where he uses his quick thinking, whit and ultimately clever use of a magical ring to become the unlikely hero that saves their adventure. The movies on the other hand pretty much got rid of that in favor of action scenes and turning him into an action hero. And this meant leaving out a lot of the original humor as said humor comes from said whit. They literally cut out and butchered a lot of the main scenes that were funny and character establishing (like meeting Beorn, Bilbo taunting the spiders etc.)

JLTucker
BANNED

Post by JLTucker »

Purple wrote:
Havok wrote:I find The Hobbit adaption immensely boring and unfun. Which is odd because I know that is how people feel about LOTR that really like The Hobbit book.
That's because they quite literally butchered the work. And I am not talking about this in the usual metaphorical outrage sense. Basically, the entire point of the work is to present Bilbo, an everyman hero who likes smoking his pipe and newer had any adventures and thrust him into danger where he uses his quick thinking, whit and ultimately clever use of a magical ring to become the unlikely hero that saves their adventure. The movies on the other hand pretty much got rid of that in favor of action scenes and turning him into an action hero. And this meant leaving out a lot of the original humor as said humor comes from said whit. They literally cut out and butchered a lot of the main scenes that were funny and character establishing (like meeting Beorn, Bilbo taunting the spiders etc.)
The extended editions of both movies fixed the theatrical counterparts. They feel like different movies. Beorn is actually established as a character.
Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf »

JLTucker wrote:The extended editions of both movies fixed the theatrical counterparts. They feel like different movies. Beorn is actually established as a character.
Thank fuck for that.

Now it's just a matter of finding them here for a reasonable price.

"I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."
- George Carlin
JLTucker
BANNED

Post by JLTucker »

Gandalf wrote:
JLTucker wrote:The extended editions of both movies fixed the theatrical counterparts. They feel like different movies. Beorn is actually established as a character.
Thank fuck for that.

Seriously. There are some great additions. For instance, in AUJ, the conflict between greed and honor re Thorin is given more depth as Gandalf and Elrond discuss the prospects of the mission. In DoS, the spider scene is longer and is shown to be more perilous. It's funny as well. Beorn is given more lines. Dol Guldor's scenes are longer and there's a character that was completely left out. It really heightens the sense of urgency and makes it so much more fun to watch.
Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf »

In LoTR they actually cut some stuff out for the Extended Cut, which helped the films a lot with some odd pacing issues. Are there any significant cuts in DoS?

- George Carlin
JLTucker
BANNED

Post by JLTucker »

The reason why LotR is superior is simple: it was a gamble on the studio's part. They trusted Jackson, who by then only had a smei big budget movie and it was a comedy ("The Frighteners"). He showed he was capable of fantasy with "Heavenly Creatures," but that is not enough to show he could handle Tolkien. Therefore, they had budgets, time constraints, and had to be extra careful. Flash forward nearly twenty years later and Jackson has established himself as a blockbuster filmmaker. The studio wants money, and they give him free reign to do what he wants.
Gandalf wrote:In LoTR they actually cut some stuff out for the Extended Cut, which helped the films a lot with some odd pacing issues. Are there any significant cuts in DoS?
Spoiler
More about the burial of the Nine, particularly Angmar, and The inclusion of Thrain in Dol Guldor. Both of those sold me on it being far better than the theatrical cuts.
Elfdart
The Anti-Shep

Post by Elfdart »

Gandalf wrote:
Thank fuck for that.

Yes and no. The add-ons for AUJ don't make up for the tedious council scene in Rivendell, which just goes on forever; and the add-ons for Smaug don't make up for the endless Erebor hijinks and the most ham-fisted "romance" since Attack of the Clones, or the way they turned Beorn (my favorite character since I was a kid and read the book for the first time) into an extra from Cats! on steroids.

I still enjoyed the first two films much more than LOTR, which with the exception of a few scenes in TTT, bored me. I like the goofier tone and best of all, no hobbits bursting into tears on a regular basis (knock on wood).
SpottedKitty
Jedi Master

Post by SpottedKitty »

Gandalf wrote:Now it's just a matter of finding them here for a reasonable price.
If it's any help, the Extended Edition of the second film is now out in the shops, I got it last week. (The first one came out last December.) What sort of delay do you normally have in DVD releases?
“Despite rumor, Death isn't cruel — merely terribly, terribly good at his job.”
Terry Pratchett, Sourcery
Civil War Man
NERRRRRDS!!!

Post by Civil War Man »

Purple wrote:
It's more than that. They didn't turn Bilbo into an action hero. They turned him into a supporting character. I was actually okay with An Unexpected Journey, since it, if anything, increased Bilbo's importance to the story, by having him instead of Gandalf be the one who outsmarts the trolls, and adding him rescuing Thorin at the end. Every change in Desolation of Smaug, however, reduced his importance. He did not participate in the majority of the fight against the spiders, his plan to escape Mirkwood using the barrels was almost immediately foiled by the guards (requiring an Orc attack and Evangeline Lilly's character to allow them to escape anyway), Bard already knew about the missing scale on Smaug's chest, and Smaug completely overwhelms Bilbo during their conversation.

The way I see it, Bilbo was demoted in Desolation of Smaug in favor of retreading the same "Last scion of a fallen kingdom returns to reclaim his birthright" story we saw with Aragorn in LOTR. A lot of the changes in general seem to be made with "let's make the LOTR lightning strike twice" in mind.