MARVEL FANGASM! Or Marvel Phase III Line Up Confirmed

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

Havok
Miscreant

Re: MARVEL FANGASM! Or Marvel Phase III Line Up Confirmed

Post by Havok »

Thanas wrote:Ah, so the shitty movies cashcow keeps on going.
You just don't like it because you are German. HAIL HYDRA!
:P
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
"Mostly Harmless Nutcase"
Napoleon the Clown
Jedi Council Member

Post by Napoleon the Clown »

Havok wrote:
RogueIce wrote:But Thor lifted Tony up by the neck for some reason as well. Which would at least imply some slight disagreement between the two.
What?! Conflict between protagonists? UNHEARD OF! :roll:
And I know zilch about Marvel Comics so I have no idea why Utron would make Hulk fight against his comrades. *shrug* I guess I'll find out in the movie.
Uh because he is the Hulk. You have seen the movies, they are all terrified of him and for good reason. Why do you think it was Loki's plan in the first Avengers movie?

You don't have to know about Marvel comics to pay attention.
I don't know that Tony is scared of him, considering he tased Bruce just to see what happens. If he were afraid of Hulk, he likely wouldn't have done anything he thought likely to bring Hulk out to play while not even armored.
Sig images are for people who aren't fucking lazy.
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

Right. He's not afraid of him at all. THAT is why he made a giant Iron Man suit that is like 4 times the size of his regular suits. :)

As for tasing him, Stark knew he was fine and safe then. He had already surmised that Banner had learned to control whatever he needed to bring out the Hulk only when he wanted to. Hence him asking what his secret was.

Fast forward to when Banner was yelling at them and holding the scepter. How not afraid did Stark look then?
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
SCRawl
Has a bad feeling about this.

Post by SCRawl »

Havok wrote: As for tasing him, Stark knew he was fine and safe then. He had already surmised that Banner had learned to control whatever he needed to bring out the Hulk only when he wanted to. Hence him asking what his secret was.
Are you sure about that? I watched that scene recently, and Stark is watching Banner's eyes very carefully right after jabbing him with that mini cattle prod (or whatever it is). This was an uncontrolled experiment. Granted, Stark must have been fairly confident in its outcome -- he didn't want to get turned into goo by an angry Hulk -- but I don't think that he was completely confident.
73% of all statistics are made up, including this one.

I'm waiting as fast as I can.
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

I'm sure he was supremely confident. He wasn't expecting a change into the Hulk, but he wanted to see how he physically reacted to different stimuli.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
InsaneTD
Jedi Knight

Post by InsaneTD »

RogueIce wrote:But Thor lifted Tony up by the neck for some reason as well. Which would at least imply some slight disagreement between the two.

And I know zilch about Marvel Comics so I have no idea why Utron would make Hulk fight against his comrades. *shrug* I guess I'll find out in the movie.
I haven't read the relevant comics, but I believe it's because Tony created the robots you see. I think in the comics, it's him and mister fantastic, but marvel studios don't have the rights to the fantastic four movies.
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

Comics Ultron was created by Hank Pym aka Ant-Man, but there's no reason MCU has to follow that, and even if they go with the original idea/design being Pyms, there's no reason Tony couldn't have gotten involved in the process at some time, especially as he had already a lot of work into unmanned Iron Men in IM3.
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
Napoleon the Clown
Jedi Council Member

Post by Napoleon the Clown »

Havok wrote:Right. He's not afraid of him at all. THAT is why he made a giant Iron Man suit that is like 4 times the size of his regular suits. :)

As for tasing him, Stark knew he was fine and safe then. He had already surmised that Banner had learned to control whatever he needed to bring out the Hulk only when he wanted to. Hence him asking what his secret was.

Fast forward to when Banner was yelling at them and holding the scepter. How not afraid did Stark look then?
Needing a suit that can actually go toe-to-toe with The Other Guy doesn't mean he's terrified of the guy. After taking a quick reviewing of the scene where Banner has the staff, Tony looks distinctly uncomfortable with the situation, though I don't know about terrified.

I'm probably just going to have to go with stunted survival instinct.
Sig images are for people who aren't fucking lazy.
InsaneTD
Jedi Knight

Post by InsaneTD »

Batman wrote:Comics Ultron was created by Hank Pym aka Ant-Man, but there's no reason MCU has to follow that, and even if they go with the original idea/design being Pyms, there's no reason Tony couldn't have gotten involved in the process at some time, especially as he had already a lot of work into unmanned Iron Men in IM3.
Ah ok, my bad. Though I'm sure Tony and mister fantastic built something together and it had something to do with them. I'm getting that from the Avengers cartoon show though so I got no idea.
Ted C
Sith Marauder

Post by Ted C »

RogueIce wrote:And I know zilch about Marvel Comics so I have no idea why Utron would make Hulk fight against his comrades. *shrug* I guess I'll find out in the movie.
Because watching supers fight each other, even when they're allies in principle, makes for a great SFX battle sequence.
"This is supposed to be a happy occasion... Let's not bicker and argue about who killed who."
-- The King of Swamp Castle, Monty Python and the Holy Grail

"Nothing of consequence happened today. " -- Diary of King George III, July 4, 1776

"This is not bad; this is a conspiracy to remove happiness from existence. It seeks to wrap its hedgehog hand around the still beating heart of the personification of good and squeeze until it is stilled."
-- Chuck Sonnenburg on Voyager's "Elogium"
Tsyroc
Emperor's Hand

Post by Tsyroc »

The "Hulkbuster" armor in the trailer is designed a bit more like the comic version of Iron Man's "Thorbuster" armor when Thor also had the Odin power. The main difference is that the original Hulkbuster armor was an Iron Man armor while the anti-Thor armor was (like in the clip) an armor suit for the standard Iron Man armor.

Anyway, with how they've been characterizing Tony since The Avengers it makes sense that the guy who obsessed with keeping everyone he cares about safe would have at least some sort of contingency for going up against someone as powerful as the Hulk or Thor. The Abomination is still alive and on Earth. Maybe Thor told Tony about getting smacked around by Kurse, or about Frost Giants etc...
By the pricking of my thumb,
Something wicked this way comes.
Open, locks,
Whoever knocks.
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

It's been fairly well proven that Tony has gotten his suit manufacturing down to a tee. He can basically sit down, pull up his base files, insert some mods, and hit a button-- a few hours later, it comes out of the shop fully assembled and ready to go.

So I don't see it as being terribly improbable that after Iron Man 3, he gets bored and decides to pick up where he left off and with his resources pulls together a hell of a machine shop. It's possible that Hulk goes nuts shortly after Ultron first appears (maybe Scarlet Witch gets into his head?) and Stark decides he has to be brought in, pulls up his concept and whips it out in a few hours before jetting over to wherever it is. He does this on his own though and the other Avengers are all 'wtf are you doing'. Internal conflict ensues.
It's a strange world. Let's keep it that way.
SCRawl

Post by SCRawl »

Elheru Aran wrote:It's been fairly well proven that Tony has gotten his suit manufacturing down to a tee. He can basically sit down, pull up his base files, insert some mods, and hit a button-- a few hours later, it comes out of the shop fully assembled and ready to go.

So I don't see it as being terribly improbable that after Iron Man 3, he gets bored and decides to pick up where he left off and with his resources pulls together a hell of a machine shop. It's possible that Hulk goes nuts shortly after Ultron first appears (maybe Scarlet Witch gets into his head?) and Stark decides he has to be brought in, pulls up his concept and whips it out in a few hours before jetting over to wherever it is. He does this on his own though and the other Avengers are all 'wtf are you doing'. Internal conflict ensues.
No, something like the Hulkbuster would require a ton of design. They all would, really, but that thing wouldn't be just a matter of swapping out this module for another module. It would have to have been a project he'd been working on, and in the comics that's how they explain its existence: Tony recognized the need for tools to "handle" the Hulk, and came up with the best solution he could. And the MCU needn't be any different. The Hulk is an ally, sure, but he's also prone to loss of control, and there isn't a ready means to deal with him. A problem looking for a solution, and Tony's good at building solutions to problems.

Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

Not denying that, man. Hulkbuster is definitely a step beyond his multiple suits from IM3. The "Igor" suit from IM3 is the closest, but it's still a suit by itself, rather than an... over-suit, for lack of a better term.

Perhaps the question we should be asking is what's the gap between IM3 and Avengers 2, as IIRC CA2 happens slightly before IM3, making that the most recent MCU film apart from Guardians of the Galaxy... that might help explain things a little better. Say there's an one-year gap... that's enough time for him to be setting things up and starting to get a production line in order for the robot army. One month? Not so much.
SCRawl

Post by SCRawl »

Elheru Aran wrote:Perhaps the question we should be asking is what's the gap between IM3 and Avengers 2, as IIRC CA2 happens slightly before IM3, making that the most recent MCU film apart from Guardians of the Galaxy... that might help explain things a little better. Say there's an one-year gap... that's enough time for him to be setting things up and starting to get a production line in order for the robot army. One month? Not so much.
IM3 happens before CA2. I'm thinking that there could easily be years between IM3 and Avengers 2, similar to the real-time gap between films. But since this is comics, time frames are always messed up.

Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

I was pretty sure CA2 was before IM3, as Pierce asks Fury to have Iron Man stop by his granddaughter's party. But at the end of IM3, Stark has essentially retired from the superheroing trade (obviously temporarily). Am I wrong?
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

Where did you get that he retired from being Iron Man? He was using the suits and his 'tinkering' to completely occupy his time so he didn't have to confront any of his issues, which is why Pepper thought he was on suit version Mk VII when he was on Mk XLII.

He didn't retire from being Iron Man, he stopped using Iron Man as a shield and crutch and went back to basics and simplified. He was still Iron Man though.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
SCRawl

Post by SCRawl »

Elheru Aran wrote:I was pretty sure CA2 was before IM3, as Pierce asks Fury to have Iron Man stop by his granddaughter's party. But at the end of IM3, Stark has essentially retired from the superheroing trade (obviously temporarily). Am I wrong?
Stark was only taking a break from the superhero thing to get his ticker fixed. I don't know how long that down time was supposed to have lasted, but obviously that sabbatical will have been over for a while by the time Avengers 2 happens.

It seems to me that the news that SHIELD was dissolved might have gotten a mention in IM3 if it had already happened.

Anyway, there is a mention in an interview with Scarlett Johansson that suggests that the films are more or less released in real time.

Kojiro
Jedi Master

Post by Kojiro »

IM3 is definitely before CA2.

Speaking of the hulkbuster armour, did anyone else notice it is component based, like the MK 47? We only see a few pieces fly in but it definitely happens. Also looking at the legs at least, each component has an arc reactor it in. I'm actually wondering if Stark hasn't evolved his robotic suits to go out with him- that would certainly explain why there are clearly some Stark-bots of some sort wandering about (which one evidently becomes an Ultron host). It'd fit his remote control thing from IM 3 and keep his own risks down. So what I'm wondering is if the Hulk-buster isn't actually a suit so much as a standard IM suit that has all the 'drone' suits Voltron onto it. Cos those shin sections look a damn lot like chest pieces.
Dragon Clan Veritech