Benedict Cumberbatch to play Doctor Strange

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

Ted C
Sith Marauder

Benedict Cumberbatch to play Doctor Strange

Post by Ted C »

http://comicbook.com/2014/10/27/benedic ... r-strange/
Marvel has found their Sorcerer Supreme for the upcoming Doctor Strange film, and it's Benedict Cumberbatch.

According to Deadline, the actor and Marvel Studios are in final negotiations over the part. The news comes after weeks of speculation over who would take the titular role that Joaquin Phoenix vacated earlier in October. When Phoenix and Marvel were just about to sign a deal, Phoenix backed out of the project. Since then, candidates and rumors appeared across the board, ranging from Tomy Hardy to Keanu Reeves.

Doctor Strange will be directed by Scott Derrickson, with a script from Jon Spaihts. While Marvel has not tied an official release date to film, many suspect that it will take the July 8, 2016 slot that the studio has claimed.

Cumberbatch comes from a strong background in science-fiction and fantasy acting, including a starring role as Kahn in Star Trek: Into Darkness, the voice of Smaug in The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug, and Sherlock Holmes in the BBC series Sherlock.

Check back in with Comicbook.com as more information on Doctor Strange is released
"This is supposed to be a happy occasion... Let's not bicker and argue about who killed who."
-- The King of Swamp Castle, Monty Python and the Holy Grail

"Nothing of consequence happened today. " -- Diary of King George III, July 4, 1776

"This is not bad; this is a conspiracy to remove happiness from existence. It seeks to wrap its hedgehog hand around the still beating heart of the personification of good and squeeze until it is stilled."
-- Chuck Sonnenburg on Voyager's "Elogium"
Havok
Miscreant

Re: Benedict Cumberbatch to play Doctor Strange

Post by Havok »

I like Cumberbatch more than Phoenix. Not that I thought Phoenix was a bad choice, just that he may have brought a little too much eccentricity to the role. Despite the name, Stephen Strange isn't all that strange.
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
"Mostly Harmless Nutcase"
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

Yeah, all the weirdness that goes with Dr. Strange is basically just part of the job. His actual personality is more emotionally detached mystic slash medical doctor slash intellectual type. Not all that different from Sherlock Holmes, actually.

Joaquin Phoenix may have made a very interesting Dormammu, though...
It's a strange world. Let's keep it that way.
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

An additional update, posting here as to avoid cluttering the forum.

Thor 3 has been posted for release in 2017, and it is subtitled Ragnarok.

http://comicbook.com/2014/10/28/thor-ra ... release-d/

I wonder if they're going to run with Walt Simonson's story as a basis? They did use Kurse/Algrim from his Thor storyline, after all... I always did like his version of Ragnarok. The downside of that though is it would take a while with the whole Surtur thing and the demon invasion of New York would be entirely too similar to the Chitauri fight from Avengers...
Lagmonster
Master Control Program
Master Control Program

Post by Lagmonster »

Marvel Event just now. Whole pile of movies announced. We're gonna need a bigger thread.
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

Lagmonster wrote:Marvel Event just now. Whole pile of movies announced. We're gonna need a bigger thread.
Including The Avengers: Infinity War? In two movies? Oh, my.
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

Ghetto edit: And Captain America 3 is subtitled Civil War. Confirmed.
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

Fudge that. We're gonna need a new thread!
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
FSTargetDrone
Emperor's Hand

Benedict Cumberbatch To Portray Doctor Strange

Post by FSTargetDrone »

Direct from Marvel.com:
Benedict Cumberbatch to Play Doctor Strange

The celebrated actor to become the Sorcerer Supreme!

Marc Strom
Published
Dec 4, 2014

Benedict Cumberbatch has entered the world of the mystic arts.

The actor will star in Marvel’s “Doctor Strange,” scheduled to hit theaters November 4, 2016. The film, directed by Scott Derrickson with Jon Spaihts writing the screenplay, will follow the story of neurosurgeon Doctor Stephen Strange who, after a horrific car accident, discovers the hidden world of magic and alternate dimensions.

“Stephen Strange’s story requires an actor capable of great depth and sincerity,” said Producer Kevin Feige. “In 2016, Benedict will show audiences what makes Doctor Strange such a unique and compelling character.”

Cumberbatch rose to international prominence with his critically acclaimed turn as Sir Arthur Conan Doyle’s most famous creation in “Sherlock,” currently preparing its fourth season. The series’ most recent season earned Cumberbatch the Primetime Emmy Award for Outstanding Lead Actor in a Miniseries or a Movie in 2014, after winning the BAFTA/LA Britannia Award for British Artist of the Year in 2013.

Cumberbatch most recently starred in “The Imitation Game,” playing famed mathematician and logician Alan Turing, and will soon be seen in “The Hobbit: The Army of the Five Armies” as Smaug and the Necromancer. For the role of Smaug, Cumberbatch stepped into the world of motion capture to bring the dragon to life. He will next be seen in Scott Cooper’s film “Black Mass,” the story of Whitey Bulger coming to theaters next September, where he stars opposite Johnny Depp and Joel Edgerton.

The star’s other credits include the Academy Award-winning “12 Years a Slave,” “War Horse,” “Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy,” “August: Osage County,” “Star Trek Into Darkness,” “The Fifth Estate,” and “Parade’s End.” Benedict will be returning to the stage this summer in Hamlet at the Barbican with Lyndsey Turner directing. His last stage performance in Danny Boyle’s Frankenstein opposite Jonny Lee Miller awarded him the Olivier.

With “Doctor Strange,” Cumberbatch is just the latest actor to join the bold Phase 3 of the Marvel Cinematic Universe, introducing new heroes and continuing the adventures of fan favorites across multiple films.
Havok
Miscreant

Re: Benedict Cumberbatch To Portray Doctor Strange

Post by Havok »

I really look forward to this, because I have no fucking idea about anything Doctor Strange. :) Also Cumberbatch is immensely watchable. This is like casting Downey Jr as Stark. I am excited.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
Tsyroc
Emperor's Hand

Post by Tsyroc »

Havok wrote:I really look forward to this, because I have no fucking idea about anything Doctor Strange. :) Also Cumberbatch is immensely watchable. This is like casting Downey Jr as Stark. I am excited.
Doctor Strange is another one of those Marvel properties that could be way out there and all sorts of weird if they want it to be. If they have him going into different dimensions it could be exceptionally cool visually.

I haven't read any of his books since the 90s and not many before that. So other than being hopeful for the visuals I have no idea what to expect. I'm kind of hoping that they jump in and don't go all origin story. His origin story would be rather similar to the movie version of Tony Stark except that he spends a long time training to get his life back on track after it all comes apart for him.
By the pricking of my thumb,
Something wicked this way comes.
Open, locks,
Whoever knocks.
Terralthra
Requiescat in Pace

Post by Terralthra »

I can't remember who said it, but they should have Dr. Strange meet Tony Stark at some point and have some other person in the room say "No shit, Sherlock," and have an awkward pause while Robert Downey, Jr. and Benedict Cumberbatch just stare at each other.
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

Well they mentioned Stephen Strange as one of the priority targets for INSIGHT in Cap 2 and the bad guy knew him off the top of his head, so there is a good chance that just may happen as Stark and Strange would be excellent butting heads not just because of the strong personalities of the two actors but because of the magic vs technology aspect.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
SCRawl
Has a bad feeling about this.

Post by SCRawl »

Havok wrote:Well they mentioned Stephen Strange as one of the priority targets for INSIGHT in Cap 2 and the bad guy knew him off the top of his head, so there is a good chance that just may happen as Stark and Strange would be excellent butting heads not just because of the strong personalities of the two actors but because of the magic vs technology aspect.
With that being the case, the origin story would have to be back-dated a while, since "brilliant surgeon Stephen Strange" probably wouldn't make it on to the top of their hit list. I mean, his character was supposed to be kind of a dick before he lost full use of his hands, but surely that couldn't result in getting name-checked by one of HYDRA's leading goons.
73% of all statistics are made up, including this one.

I'm waiting as fast as I can.
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

The film director just tweeted this image:

Nothing along with it as far as I know, so nothing officially has been said. It could be concept art, could be fan-art, but it does arouse one's interest :)
Alyrium Denryle
Minister of Sin

Post by Alyrium Denryle »

Havok wrote:Well they mentioned Stephen Strange as one of the priority targets for INSIGHT in Cap 2 and the bad guy knew him off the top of his head, so there is a good chance that just may happen as Stark and Strange would be excellent butting heads not just because of the strong personalities of the two actors but because of the magic vs technology aspect.
*snicker*

My head-cannon is that he did not show up to defend NYC (he lives in Greenwich Village) in Avengers I because the baddies on display were beneath his cosmic paygrade. Dr. Strange is who you call if Cthulhu shows up, or the color blue disappears from reality. The minions of Thanos or Hydra just... dont rate Dr. Strange.
GALE Force Biological Agent/
BOTM/Great Dolphin Conspiracy/
Entomology and Evolutionary Biology Subdirector:SD.net Dept. of Biological Sciences

There is Grandeur in the View of Life; it fills me with a Deep Wonder, and Intense Cynicism.

Factio republicanum delenda est
SpottedKitty
Jedi Master

Post by SpottedKitty »

Elheru Aran wrote:It could be concept art, could be fan-art, but it does arouse one's interest :)
Argle. Did anyone else look at that, see the weird swirly colours, and only after several seconds abruptly see the face?

Maybe we're about to get some of the original Ditko surrealism? That would be intriguing.
“Despite rumor, Death isn't cruel — merely terribly, terribly good at his job.”
Terry Pratchett, Sourcery
White Haven
Sith Acolyte

Post by White Haven »

In the finest traditions of Doctor Strange being involved when no one knows he's even there, I insist that Strange held the Chitauri assault portal open just long enough for Stark to fall back through it.
Alyrium Denryle wrote:or the color blue disappears from reality.
Carmen Sandiego is now a Doctor Strange villain.
Chronological Incontinence: Time warps around the poster. The thread topic winks out of existence and reappears in 1d10 posts.

Out of Context Theatre, this week starring Darth Nostril.
-'If you really want to fuck with these idiots tell them that there is a vaccine for chemtrails.'

Fiction!: The Final War (Bolo/Lovecraft) (Ch 7 9/15/11), Living (D&D, Complete)Image
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

:D

Alternatively, you could just date his origin onto the scene as coming after Avengers but before Iron Man 3 and Captain America 2. There's implied to be a timespan of several months, or more likely a few years, in there.
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic »

Probably months minimum. Avengers seems to take place in spring or summer (I recall trees being green and people not wearing winter clothing) and Iron Man 3 takes place at Christmastime.
Iroscato
Jedi Council Member

Post by Iroscato »

I've really come around to Cumberbatch playing Strange. I mean, I have a love for the man that borders on the homosexual, but he has been pretty well exposed in hollywood lately. Now however, I realise he's the perfect choice, and has everything from the look to the acting chops to pull it off.
Come 2020, I will dedicate a shelf to the entire MCU movie catalogue. It will be glorious.
Yeah, I've always taken the subtext of the Birther movement to be, "The rules don't count here! This is different! HE'S BLACK! BLACK, I SAY! ARE YOU ALL BLIND!?

- Raw Shark

Destiny and fate are for those too weak to forge their own futures. Where we are 'supposed' to be is irrelevent.

- SirNitram (RIP)
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

Alyrium Denryle wrote:
*snicker*

My head-cannon is that he did not show up to defend NYC (he lives in Greenwich Village) in Avengers I because the baddies on display were beneath his cosmic paygrade. Dr. Strange is who you call if Cthulhu shows up, or the color blue disappears from reality. The minions of Thanos or Hydra just... dont rate Dr. Strange.
Yeah, but I'm pretty sure all reality being threatened will get him to show up.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Alyrium Denryle wrote:*snicker*

I'm leaning towards "Dimension-Hopping" for the excuse. Dr. Strange does have his own nasty Rogue's Gallery, you know. Then again, he could have been in Asgard -- wasn't the Eye of WhatshisName in Odin's Treasure Vault?
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
The Grim Squeaker
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Grim Squeaker »

LadyTevar wrote:

I'm leaning towards "Dimension-Hopping" for the excuse. Dr. Strange does have his own nasty Rogue's Gallery, you know. Then again, he could have been in Asgard -- wasn't the Eye of WhatshisName in Odin's Treasure Vault?
"Eye of Agamotto"? Might have been, but Agamotto has never been a Dr Strange villain (at worst, they tussled once).
Strange's villains have traditionally been exemplified by Baron Mordo, The Dread Dormammu, Nightmare, etc'.
Photography
Genius is always allowed some leeway, once the hammer has been pried from its hands and the blood has been cleaned up.
To improve is to change; to be perfect is to change often.
Ted C
Sith Marauder

Post by Ted C »

The Grim Squeaker wrote:
LadyTevar wrote:

"Eye of Agamotto"? Might have been, but Agamotto has never been a Dr Strange villain (at worst, they tussled once).
Strange's villains have traditionally been exemplified by Baron Mordo, The Dread Dormammu, Nightmare, etc'.
I believe the point is that the Orb of Agamotto is traditionally one of the artifacts that Dr. Strange keeps in his house in Greenwich Village.
"This is supposed to be a happy occasion... Let's not bicker and argue about who killed who."
-- The King of Swamp Castle, Monty Python and the Holy Grail

"Nothing of consequence happened today. " -- Diary of King George III, July 4, 1776

"This is not bad; this is a conspiracy to remove happiness from existence. It seeks to wrap its hedgehog hand around the still beating heart of the personification of good and squeeze until it is stilled."
-- Chuck Sonnenburg on Voyager's "Elogium"