Civilian Casulties: Man of Steal, The Avengers

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

Havok
Miscreant

Civilian Casulties: Man of Steal, The Avengers

Post by Havok »

Given what we see and know of the cities (New York* and Metropolis which I assume rivals the 30 million number given for Gotham in the Nolan-Verse) and the fact that there was just no way everyone could have gotten out, what do you think the casualty rates would have been due to the incidental damage? Also, thoughts on repair costs.

I suppose you could throw in some other movies like Transformers and Chicago, but not something like Independence Day where city destruction is the point.

*I was watching The Avengers and realized for the first time that sky scrappers were actually collapsing.
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
"Mostly Harmless Nutcase"
tezunegari
Jedi Knight

Re: Civilian Casulties: Man of Steal, The Avengers

Post by tezunegari »

Havok wrote:Given what we see and know of the cities (New York* and Metropolis which I assume rivals the 30 million number given for Gotham in the Nolan-Verse) and the fact that there was just no way everyone could have gotten out, what do you think the casualty rates would have been due to the incidental damage? Also, thoughts on repair costs.

I suppose you could throw in some other movies like Transformers and Chicago, but not something like Independence Day where city destruction is the point.

*I was watching The Avengers and realized for the first time that sky scrappers were actually collapsing.
Watson Technical Consulting made some estimates about the Man of Steel damage.

Buzzfeed

A summary:
  • 129,000 known killed
  • over 250,000 missing (most of whom would have also died)
  • nearly a million injured.
Buzzfeed wrote:In terms of the strictly physical damage done to the city, the initial estimate is $700 billion.

To put that in context, 9/11’s physical damage cost $55 billion, with a further economic impact of $123 billion.

Overall, WTC estimates that the damage would be $2 trillion.
I think Avengers New York would be somewhere between 9/11 and Metropolis damage, though at the lower end.

I'd put Transformers Chicago somewhere at the upper end of that scale.
"Bring your thousands, I have my axe."
"Bring your cannons, I have my armor."
"Bring your mighty... I am my own champion."
Cue Unit-01 ramming half the Lance of Longinus down Adam's head and a bemused Gendo, "Wrong end, son."
Ikari Gendo, NGE Fanfiction "Standing Tall"
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

In other words, casualty levels similar to that of a nuke.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
tezunegari
Jedi Knight

Post by tezunegari »

20 kt air burst, without the radiation damage. According to the buzzfeed article.
"Bring your thousands, I have my axe."
"Bring your cannons, I have my armor."
"Bring your mighty... I am my own champion."
Cue Unit-01 ramming half the Lance of Longinus down Adam's head and a bemused Gendo, "Wrong end, son."
Ikari Gendo, NGE Fanfiction "Standing Tall"
Purple
Sith Acolyte
Location: In a purple cube orbiting this planet. Hijacking satellites for an internet connection.

Post by Purple »

Remind me again why Spiderman is the one hated by the press in this universe?
It has become clear to me in the previous days that any attempts at reconciliation and explanation with the community here has failed. I have tried my best. I really have. I pored my heart out trying. But it was all for nothing.

You win. There, I have said it.

Now there is only one thing left to do. Let us see if I can sum up the strength needed to end things once and for all.
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

J.J. Jameson. But he really isn't hated.
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
"Mostly Harmless Nutcase"
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

Well he is by triple J but yeah, more or less nobody else outside the designated antagonist community has a problem with him. Of course if we assume 'this' universe to be the movie one, Spider-Man has yet to make an appearance :)
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
Ted C
Sith Marauder

Post by Ted C »

Batman wrote:Well he is by triple J but yeah, more or less nobody else outside the designated antagonist community has a problem with him. Of course if we assume 'this' universe to be the movie one, Spider-Man has yet to make an appearance :)
Spiderman can't appear in the MCU unless Sony gives up the movie rights.
"This is supposed to be a happy occasion... Let's not bicker and argue about who killed who."
-- The King of Swamp Castle, Monty Python and the Holy Grail

"Nothing of consequence happened today. " -- Diary of King George III, July 4, 1776

"This is not bad; this is a conspiracy to remove happiness from existence. It seeks to wrap its hedgehog hand around the still beating heart of the personification of good and squeeze until it is stilled."
-- Chuck Sonnenburg on Voyager's "Elogium"
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

I know, and they can't use the X-Men either because Fox has the rights to those. Makes for an interesting situation, doesn't it?
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
Jub
Sith Marauder

Post by Jub »

Disney has the muscle to lean on Sony and Fox if they really want to get the rights back, but I suspect that it's not worth the cost right now with how hot their current line up is. If the Avengers and Guardians go flat in the next few years, then we could see them push to get these properties back. Of course if Marvels big two and tie in movies are flopping it likely means we've fallen off the superhero train and those rights will be less in demand anyway.
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

There is some scuttlebutt that some of the X-Men may have appeared in a deleted scene of the latest Spider-Man film, but I haven't seen much evidence to prove it apart from a few posts from fansites on Facebook.

Disney *could* lean on Sony and Fox-- and it kinda looks like they may be if you take some theories at face value. Action figures, for example. Avengers figures all over the place, Guardians, etc. Where are the X-men figs, even though they just had a very successful film? Wolverine figs? For that matter, there are only a few Amazing Spider-Man figures IIRC as well. That suggests that Marvel Entertainment may be putting pressure on merchandising rights, which can be a very lucrative source of profits, in order to manipulate the post-release popularity of these brands.
It's a strange world. Let's keep it that way.
FSTargetDrone
Emperor's Hand

Post by FSTargetDrone »

Elheru Aran wrote:There is some scuttlebutt that some of the X-Men may have appeared in a deleted scene of the latest Spider-Man film, but I haven't seen much evidence to prove it apart from a few posts from fansites on Facebook.

Disney *could* lean on Sony and Fox-- and it kinda looks like they may be if you take some theories at face value. Action figures, for example. Avengers figures all over the place, Guardians, etc. Where are the X-men figs, even though they just had a very successful film? Wolverine figs? For that matter, there are only a few Amazing Spider-Man figures IIRC as well. That suggests that Marvel Entertainment may be putting pressure on merchandising rights, which can be a very lucrative source of profits, in order to manipulate the post-release popularity of these brands.
The only recent X-Men toys I have seen are in some of the Lego Marvel sets. They have an X-Jet, a few variants of Magneto, Storm, Wolverine, Cyclops and a Sentinel off the top of my head. But they are not exactly the versions seen in the recent movies.
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Purple wrote:Remind me again why Spiderman is the one hated by the press in this universe?
Well, most of the superheroes in Marvel don't cause the collateral damage. In Avengers, the damage of the attack would correctly be blamed on the giant alien invasion; I'm sure the aliens are even more unpopular than Spiderman.*

About the only 'heroic' character who causes serious destruction on purpose is the Incredible Hulk, who has been actively hunted by the US military (and arguably SHIELD) for the threat he poses.

But a character like Iron Man, while involved in events that cause mass destruction, is so obviously fighting to contain and reduce that destruction that nobody's going to come away saying "you bastard you're evil!"

*I'm assuming for the sake of argument that movie Spiderman lives in the same universe as movie Avengers, even without proof.
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
Purple
Sith Acolyte
Location: In a purple cube orbiting this planet. Hijacking satellites for an internet connection.

Post by Purple »

Simon_Jester wrote:
Purple wrote:Remind me again why Spiderman is the one hated by the press in this universe?
Well, most of the superheroes in Marvel don't cause the collateral damage. In Avengers, the damage of the attack would correctly be blamed on the giant alien invasion; I'm sure the aliens are even more unpopular than Spiderman.*

About the only 'heroic' character who causes serious destruction on purpose is the Incredible Hulk, who has been actively hunted by the US military (and arguably SHIELD) for the threat he poses.

But a character like Iron Man, while involved in events that cause mass destruction, is so obviously fighting to contain and reduce that destruction that nobody's going to come away saying "you bastard you're evil!"

*I'm assuming for the sake of argument that movie Spiderman lives in the same universe as movie Avengers, even without proof.
On the other hand you'd think that by the time the 1023 supervillain comes to town with the explicit goal to take down the hero and proclaims so loudly before initiating a city destroying fight people would start wondering why they are allowing the hero to stay in town. (I have not watched any of the movies, so just going by the various cartoons and my limited knowledge of the comic universe.)
It has become clear to me in the previous days that any attempts at reconciliation and explanation with the community here has failed. I have tried my best. I really have. I pored my heart out trying. But it was all for nothing.

Now there is only one thing left to do. Let us see if I can sum up the strength needed to end things once and for all.
AniThyng
Sith Devotee

Post by AniThyng »

Purple wrote:
Simon_Jester wrote:

On the other hand you'd think that by the time the 1023 supervillain comes to town with the explicit goal to take down the hero and proclaims so loudly before initiating a city destroying fight people would start wondering why they are allowing the hero to stay in town. (I have not watched any of the movies, so just going by the various cartoons and my limited knowledge of the comic universe.)
Well if you force the hero out, the terrorists win. Do you want the terrorists to win?
I do know how to spell
AniThyng is merely the name I gave to what became my favourite Baldur's Gate II mage character :P
Purple
Sith Acolyte

Post by Purple »

AniThyng wrote:Well if you force the hero out, the terrorists win. Do you want the terrorists to win?
Well he can just build a fortress of solitude and spend days there waiting for a call. Or you know, a suburban home a few hours drive from millions of civilians. Or maybe some sort of space station...

LaCroix
Sith Acolyte

Post by LaCroix »

Purple wrote:
AniThyng wrote:Well if you force the hero out, the terrorists win. Do you want the terrorists to win?
Well he can just build a fortress of solitude and spend days there waiting for a call. Or you know, a suburban home a few hours drive from millions of civilians. Or maybe some sort of space station...
People seem to ignore the fact that the villain chose to attack the million people metropole because

a) he's evil
b) it's a way to force the hero to show up for the fight

You think Spiderman would show up if Green Goblin sent him a letter to please meet him at mile 34 of the highway to bumfuckistan to permanently settle the question who is going to stay alive?
A minute's thought suggests that the very idea of this is stupid. A more detailed examination raises the possibility that it might be an answer to the question "how could the Germans win the war after the US gets involved?" - Captain Seafort, in a thread proposing a 1942 'D-Day' in Quiberon Bay

I do archery skeet. With a Trebuchet.