"Day of Future Past" out on digital download (BIG Spoilers)

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

Crossroads Inc.
Emperor's Hand

"Day of Future Past" out on digital download (BIG Spoilers)

Post by Crossroads Inc. »

Remember when we used to say "Out on DVD"? Funny how times change :P

SO! Days of Future past out... GREAT MOVIE!
Read the original review thread and a lot of what I was goign to say has of course already been covered...
The job they did merging "Xmen First Class" with the 'original' timeline was very very well done. The explanation for what happened to many of the mutants we saw in "First class" being killed, and various events leading into what would have been the original timeline.

Obviously the movie has more than it's share of "fridge logic" moments. My personal biggest moment was when Eric/Magneto ripped up a bunch of Railroad ties and then "Bent" the metal into tiny filaments to infect the prototype Sentinels... I remember when I first watched the movie wanting to shout "Metal does not work like that!"

Shoot if they just edited something showing it was being Heated by magnetic forces or
something, that would have been a little bit better :P

The ending of course opens up a whole can of worms in terms of where the new Timeline would take things.

On the plus side, the ending with Raven seems to have given a huge boost to Pro-Mutant feelings, at least in terms of "Not all of them are bad" And people seem to be uniting behind ganging up on just Eric as opposed to ALL mutants.

On the bad side of Things.

'Stryker' is Missing and evidently replaced by Raven, which leads one to wonder if the Logan of the new timeline may end up with a metal skeleton at all, or if he stays 'All organic' My thoughts are (due to reason of Plot) he most likley will end up with it
again, but this time It might be done willingly.
Personally I got the Impression that Striker might 'turn over a new leaf' given the events of Future Past.

The same goes for how Trask might effect the new timeline. Since he was never killed, he may continue to advance Anti-Mutant sentiment and even may try to resurrect the Sentinel program.

Eric of course screwed thing up massively in the new time line as well. (( seriously EVERY action he took in the movie only made things worse)) Personally I wonder if he may grow even more demented due to the events of Future past and now never end up
"repenting" as it where.

Oh, one last thing... On the original review thread did anyone calculate just how much 'Force' would have been needed to lift a freaking Stadium up like Eric did at the end? Also can you imagine the deconstruction nightmare of having to remove all that from around the White House???
Praying is another way of doing nothing helpful
"Congratulations, you get a cookie. You almost got a fundamental English word correct." Pick
"Outlaw star has spaceships that punch eachother" Joviwan
Read "Tales From The Crossroads"!
Read "One Wrong Turn"!
Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Re: "Day of Future Past" out on digital download (BIG Spoile

Post by Gandalf »

I thought that the future sections of the film, with the beautiful and horrific dystopia, were probably the best part of any X-Men film.

Though the film's ultimate message is a bit problematic. "Eric, don't fight back against the evil humans or they'll exterminate us all. Get along with the oppressors."
"Oh no, oh yeah, tell me how can it be so fair
That we dying younger hiding from the police man over there
Just for breathing in the air they wanna leave me in the chair
Electric shocking body rocking beat streeting me to death"

- A.B. Original, Report to the Mist

"I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."
- George Carlin
NeoGoomba
Sith Devotee

Post by NeoGoomba »

Crossroads Inc. wrote: Oh, one last thing... On the original review thread did anyone calculate just how much 'Force' would have been needed to lift a freaking Stadium up like Eric did at the end?
I'm just a simple hyper-chicken layman with no idea about material weight and all of that shit, but I thought that the ending bit with Apocalypse assembling the pyramid in under ten seconds was even more impressive.
"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it. Fifteen hundred years ago everybody knew the Earth was the center of the universe. Five hundred years ago, everybody knew the Earth was flat, and fifteen minutes ago, you knew that humans were alone on this planet. Imagine what you'll know...tomorrow."
-Agent Kay
FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Post by FaxModem1 »

Gandalf wrote:I thought that the future sections of the film, with the beautiful and horrific dystopia, were probably the best part of any X-Men film.

Though the film's ultimate message is a bit problematic. "Eric, don't fight back against the evil humans or they'll exterminate us all. Get along with the oppressors."
It seemed to be more, "Show that you're not all monsters, and they won't treat you as such." Seeing as how the big thing that changed everyone's mind was Mystique/Raven putting herself in harm's way for the President with the rest of the X-men also saving the day against Magneto.
RogueIce
_______

Post by RogueIce »

Do they have an edition with those deleted Rogue scenes out?
"How can I wait unknowing?
This is the price of war,
We rise with noble intentions,
And we risk all that is pure..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, Forever (Rome: Total War)

"On and on, through the years,
The war continues on..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, We Are All One (Medieval 2: Total War)
"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear." - Ambrose Redmoon
"You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain." - Harvey Dent, The Dark Knight
Crossroads Inc.
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crossroads Inc. »

You know the thing about that last sence, is that it is JUST STONE, no magnetic gimmick or anything, it is being lifted by pure "Brain Power" Now I am not big into the Powers of "Big Blue" But is he known for lifting Pyramid sized rocks with his brain alone?
Praying is another way of doing nothing helpful
"Congratulations, you get a cookie. You almost got a fundamental English word correct." Pick
"Outlaw star has spaceships that punch eachother" Joviwan
Read "Tales From The Crossroads"!
Read "One Wrong Turn"!
NeoGoomba
Sith Devotee

Post by NeoGoomba »

Crossroads Inc. wrote:You know the thing about that last sence, is that it is JUST STONE, no magnetic gimmick or anything, it is being lifted by pure "Brain Power" Now I am not big into the Powers of "Big Blue" But is he known for lifting Pyramid sized rocks with his brain alone?
Not really. Overwhelming raw power was never really his thing (except for the pure physical strength he could bring to bear). He's a middle-to-upper class mutant in terms of power. What made him so formidible though is that the technology he had integrated with had a crazy amount of different powers. He could come close to matching Quicksilver in speed, Thor in strength, High Evolutionary in intelligence, Exodus in TK/TP, etc. He may not have been the best at any one thing, but he was pretty damn good at almost everything.

That pyramid scene was something out of Dark Phoenix or Silver Surfer's bag.
"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it. Fifteen hundred years ago everybody knew the Earth was the center of the universe. Five hundred years ago, everybody knew the Earth was flat, and fifteen minutes ago, you knew that humans were alone on this planet. Imagine what you'll know...tomorrow."
-Agent Kay
Dread Not
Padawan Learner

Post by Dread Not »

I've been dying for months for this to come out on blu-ray, particularly to see all the footage that didn't make it into the theatrical cut. Just a couple more weeks. :mrgreen: I loved the hell out of it, and was surprised with how excellent the character drama was. I haven't seen Valkyrie or Jack the Giant Slayer, but to me Bryan Singer's ability to direct the beautifully poignant scenes in DoFP seems to have come out of nowhere. X2 was great fun and all, but moving is not the first word that comes to mind when I remember it.
Crossroads Inc. wrote:'Stryker' is Missing and evidently replaced by Raven, which leads one to wonder if the Logan of the new timeline may end up with a metal skeleton at all, or if he stays 'All organic' My thoughts are (due to reason of Plot) he most likley will end up with it again, but this time It might be done willingly.
They might go a totally different direction, but considering who the antagonist of the next movie is going to be, and his history with Wolverine in the comics, it seems fairly obvious how Logan will get his adamantium mojo back. Also, while Origins has been justly booted from the film canon, Logan underwent the procedure willingly the first time as well. Stryker also said as much to Logan in X2, for whatever his word is worth.
Crossroads Inc. wrote:Personally I got the Impression that Striker might 'turn over a new leaf' given the events of Future Past.
Would be an interesting development, considering his son's condition. I imagine the next movie will involve a lot of characters putting past grievances aside to face the common threat of En Sabah Nur.
Gandalf wrote:Though the film's ultimate message is a bit problematic. "Eric, don't fight back against the evil humans or they'll exterminate us all. Get along with the oppressors."
I don't see how "Get along with the oppressors" is a problematic message with the film any more than it is for the rest of the franchise. The story has always been Magneto's extreme measures vs. Xavier's demonstrations of peace, understanding and forgiveness.
Tsyroc
Emperor's Hand

Post by Tsyroc »

RogueIce wrote:Do they have an edition with those deleted Rogue scenes out?
I saw something on facebook earlier this week stating that the "Rogue Cut" will be a separate release next year.

It kind of annoyed me, but at least they are letting people know before the first DVD/Blu-ray release.

It's possible that all of the deleted Rogue scenes will be on the first release since it is supposed to have deleted scenes. I just wish
they would put out the extended cut at roughly the same time as the theatrical.
By the pricking of my thumb,
Something wicked this way comes.
Open, locks,
Whoever knocks.
Dread Not
Padawan Learner

Post by Dread Not »

Tsyroc wrote:
RogueIce wrote:I saw something on facebook earlier this week stating that the "Rogue Cut" will be a separate release next year.

It kind of annoyed me, but at least they are letting people know before the first DVD/Blu-ray release.

It's possible that all of the deleted Rogue scenes will be on the first release since it is supposed to have deleted scenes. I just wish
they would put out the extended cut at roughly the same time as the theatrical.
Man, what a pisser. I would have happily paid north of $40 for a blu-ray heavy on the special features with all the cut footage. Not sure what I'll do now, but I certainly aint too keen on buying the movie twice. Oh well, at least I'll have Edge of Tomorrow next week for my fix of sci-fi action time traveling flicks.