Agents of SHIELD: Season 2 (Spoilers!)

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

Season 2, Ep 1: Give your Opinion

Poll ended at 2014-10-01 12:37am

1 Star: Coulson needs to give up
No votes
2 Star: Coulson might pull it off
11%
3 Star: Good team effort. Pity about the arm.
33%
4 Star: Who needs the Bus?
44%
5 Star: Excelsior!
11%

Total votes: 9

Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Re: Agents of SHIELD: Season 2 (Spoilers!)

Post by Lord Revan »

just watched the episode "face my enemy" and it seems they seemed almost hell bent on putting Ming-na Wen in fanservicy situations and outfits this episode, but also the masks seem rather inconsistent on how well they stay active when May punched the HYDRA posing as Talbot the mask outright failed for signifigant time showing the true face of the person, where as whe Coulson punched Agent 33 or during the May vs Agent 33 fight mask show no signs of failing.

it was a good episode though and did give some insight into May's character as well (one of the reason I don't mind the fanservice that much as May wasn't there just to give the male fans something drool for or play the damsel in disstress, but also played a signifigant role in the episode .
I may be an idiot, but I'm a tolerated idiot
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Oh wait, that's marijuana..."Einhander Sn0m4n
Eleas
Jaina Dax

Post by Eleas »

My wife the seamstress actually pointed out a nice detail: when Agent 33 wears May's outfit, it doesn't fit her. The costumers actually took the time to make a different, almost identical outfit for Ming Na-Wen as Agent 33, which was a clever touch.
Björn Paulsen

"Travelers with closed minds can tell us little except about themselves."
--Chinua Achebe
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Eleas wrote:My wife the seamstress actually pointed out a nice detail: when Agent 33 wears May's outfit, it doesn't fit her. The costumers actually took the time to make a different, almost identical outfit for Ming Na-Wen as Agent 33, which was a clever touch.
Now I'll have to go back and double check. I'm sure your wife is right, but that would be a great touch.
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic »

I finally saw most of an episode from season two (the latest one). I was a bit confused and I didn't think it was very good (average quality for this show at best), but it did have a somewhat tense and surprising ending and some big developments. And it was nice to see a teaser for Agent Carter.

It seems pretty obvious that their's going to be a relationship between the May lookalike and Ward. I hope I'm wrong about this. It would be predictable and creepy.

And they seem to be making Ward into the next Spike. I think I even read something from one of the people making the show comparing Ward to Spike recently. Again, its a bit unoriginal and I'm concerned that the actor who plays Ward can't pull it off as well as Marsters did.
Dalton
For Those About to Rock We Salute You

Post by Dalton »

Holy crap that was a brilliant episode last night.
To Absent Friends
Dalton | Admin Smash | Knight of the Order of SDN

"y = mx + bro" - Surlethe
"You try THAT shit again, kid, and I will mod you. I will
mod you so hard, you'll wish I were Dalton." - Lagmonster

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

...You give me an episode with a bigass cliffhanger ending like that and then you make me wait until March to see how this unfolds further? Bats is not glad to be living in a tent.
Have to say I didn't see Skye casually and almost in passing shooting Ex-Agent Ward coming, though I loved the execution. Sure, Ward lived, but did anybody doubt that for a minute?

So...why did Fitzsimmons and whatshisname carry torches when Rayna, Skye and Phil could happily use chem lights (which is perfectly in line with the 'no electronics' limits of the city-chem lights don't use electricity)? Chemical reactions obviously worked fine-nevermind human biology, they obviously expected their explosives to work.
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Its a pity that there won't be a new episode until March, but at least there's Agent Carter to enjoy.
The Cooler King
Padawan Learner

Post by The Cooler King »

Well, it's seemingly official: Skye's dad is Cal, aka 'Calvin Zabo', aka Mr. Hyde. What clinched it was when he called Skye 'Daisy', aka Zabo's illegitimate daughter in the comics, Daisy "Quake" Johnson. Nothing that hasn't already been brought up before, but it was cool to see it confirmed.

And Trip, we hardly knew ye.
I don't like being a bastard, but they leave me no choice.

-Marshal Law, "The Hateful Dead"
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

I wish Skye had been an original character rather than making her someone from the comics.
Dalton

Post by Dalton »

The Romulan Republic wrote:I wish Skye had been an original character rather than making her someone from the comics.
Why? Quake wasn't exactly a top-tier character. I like that they're taking already-existing properties and repurposing them - they already have the rights, after all.
To Absent Friends
Dalton | Admin Smash | Knight of the Order of SDN

"y = mx + bro" - Surlethe
"You try THAT shit again, kid, and I will mod you. I will
mod you so hard, you'll wish I were Dalton." - Lagmonster

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Its not that I mind having minor characters from the comics. Its just that I'd like to see more original characters too. But then, the rest of the main characters aren't from the comics as far as I know. So I can live with it.
Iroscato
Jedi Council Member

Post by Iroscato »

Not read *too* many spoilers in this thread, but just throwing my two cents in as I'm now 5 episodes in and catching up fast; holy crap, this series is absolutely knocking it out of the park for me so far, and making series 1 look like a reheated pile of cow shit in comparison. It's become a truly gripping show and I'm currently in full Marvel fanboy mode :lol:
Yeah, I've always taken the subtext of the Birther movement to be, "The rules don't count here! This is different! HE'S BLACK! BLACK, I SAY! ARE YOU ALL BLIND!?

- Raw Shark

Destiny and fate are for those too weak to forge their own futures. Where we are 'supposed' to be is irrelevent.

- SirNitram (RIP)
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

The Romulan Republic wrote:Its not that I mind having minor characters from the comics. Its just that I'd like to see more original characters too. But then, the rest of the main characters aren't from the comics as far as I know. So I can live with it.
tbh for all we know it's just the name, family history and perhaps abilities that Skye shares with her comic book counterpart, so essentially she could still still be an "orginal character" as far as the important parts are, it's not like they've taken minor characters from the comics and done something different with them.

IIRC the main villian from season 1 was a "good guy" in the comics but in the series he was the main "bad guy"
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Iroscato
Jedi Council Member

Post by Iroscato »

Well, I'm all caught up. It's great to see how damn good this show is now, the midseason finale was brilliant. Really nice scene at the end with Skye, Raina and Trip. Poor, poor Trip :(
Interesting twist with there apparently being more than one Diviner - I was seriously expecting it to be an infinity stone, especially with Father of the Year mentioning there was something inside a la Tesseract. Also, Eyeless Guy was freakty as fuck. The show has had a serious upgrade in terms of effects this series.
All in all, an excellent start to series 2. Let's hope they don't lose momentum for the second part.
Yeah, I've always taken the subtext of the Birther movement to be, "The rules don't count here! This is different! HE'S BLACK! BLACK, I SAY! ARE YOU ALL BLIND!?

- Raw Shark

Destiny and fate are for those too weak to forge their own futures. Where we are 'supposed' to be is irrelevent.

- SirNitram (RIP)
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Infinity Stones are a bit out of this show's league aren't they?
Gaidin
Sith Devotee

Post by Gaidin »

Use of one may be. Stumbling on one and fighting over it? Maybe not.
biostem
Jedi Master

Post by biostem »

Was Skye's father supposed to be a normal human? Early on, they talked about him destroying a whole town or something - that head Hydra guy basically kept him at bay with a pistol.

I realize they want to keep Ward around, but it still bugs me whenever a character wants to "finish off" someone, but doesn't do what they need to confirm the kill - 2 in the head, then go to confront daddie...
Tsyroc
Emperor's Hand

Post by Tsyroc »

biostem wrote:Was Skye's father supposed to be a normal human? Early on, they talked about him destroying a whole town or something - that head Hydra guy basically kept him at bay with a pistol.

I realize they want to keep Ward around, but it still bugs me whenever a character wants to "finish off" someone, but doesn't do what they need to confirm the kill - 2 in the head, then go to confront daddie...

It's hard to say about Skye's father. In the comics he's Calvin Zabo who turns into Mr. Hyde, who I think originally started as a Daredevil villain (low level super strength) but eventually later comics had him strong enough to not immediately be pulped by the Hulk or Thor (he did knock himself unconscious once by running head first into a standing Thor's chest). In the show he does seem to be pretty strong (kind of standard classical "Hyde" strength level) when he is pissed off but I don't know if it is supposed to be based on a combination of rage and crazy or if he is inherently special. Considering he was able to hold the thingamajig without dying like all other normal humans it's possible that they are writing him up as one of the Inhumans. In which case his slightly higher strength level might be because of that. The last episode did really confuse me as to whether he was an Inhuman though.

Reyna's story about "monsters destroying a town looking for their baby" doesn't really seem to work if Cal is "normal" and his wife's only power was that she didn't age. Neither seems to lend itself to destroying a town.

I was impressed that Skye shot Ward multiple times as soon as she got the chance. I was disappointed that she didn't put one in his head, or a few more into his body when she was leaving the room. I'm also a little preemptively annoyed because I'm assuming that Whitehall is going to get better. If he doesn't I'm guessing it's going to be because his character will have more to do in Agent Carter, which could be bad because his German accent was horrible.
By the pricking of my thumb,
Something wicked this way comes.
Open, locks,
Whoever knocks.
EnterpriseSovereign
Sith Marauder

Post by EnterpriseSovereign »

After seeing all the eps so far I'm pretty impressed- I happened to catch a rerun of the first episode and remember that Ward somehow noticed that May had got Skye favouring her left side because she was right handed. Not sure what that part actually means in practice though; what is more immediately apparent is that she's gotten a lot better in hand to hand situations thanks to May's training.

It was a pretty smart move by May not immediately cloaking the Bus as soon as the bad guys departed (since they were only able to find them in the first place thanks to the tracking device), but by waiting until they'd entered a patch of cloud cover and ejecting some cargo pods it made the bad guys think they'd hit their target.

From what I've read it looks like they're timing the climax of season 2 to co-incide with Age Of Ultron- with any luck it'll resolve the question of whether the Obelisk actually is an infinity stone. Certainly when it opened there was some kind of crystal inside.

I've got mixed feelings in the way they switched which black guy was to die- it looked like it was going to be Mack after he was zombified and then fell down the shaft in the previous ep, only to then have him revert to normal at the same moment that Triplett was turned to stone.

As an aside, I've been trying to model one of my STO characters on Agent May. Getting an approximation of her outfit was the easy part, but no matter how closely I try to match the details and dimensions of Ming-Na Wen's face it still doesn't look anything like her :?
SCRawl
Has a bad feeling about this.

Post by SCRawl »

EnterpriseSovereign wrote: From what I've read it looks like they're timing the climax of season 2 to co-incide with Age Of Ultron- with any luck it'll resolve the question of whether the Obelisk actually is an infinity stone. Certainly when it opened there was some kind of crystal inside.
I doubt that this will turn out to be the case. There appear to be several more of these obelisks around.
73% of all statistics are made up, including this one.

I'm waiting as fast as I can.
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

EnterpriseSovereign wrote: I've got mixed feelings in the way they switched which black guy was to die- it looked like it was going to be Mack after he was zombified and then fell down the shaft in the previous ep, only to then have him revert to normal at the same moment that Triplett was turned to stone.
I know right? For a second I thought they'd gone as far as to kill both their black guys. Triplett actually seems a more sensible one to kill off, given that he's had so little to do this half season. Mack, despite me barely knowing his name has had the friendship plot with Fitz going on.

It's inmho to season 2's detriment that Trip's role as been reduced so much to make way for white guy who's name I can't remember and Bobbi. In fact a lot of season 1 character's seem to be less significant now.

And given the early complaints about the show focusing on new white cast members at the detriment of black ones and having that indian(?) looking chap as the villian and Agent 33 now being played with ming-na.... well they obvious weren't to worried about said complaints.
Tsyroc
Emperor's Hand

Post by Tsyroc »

The terrigen mists that activate the Inhuman genes all come from crystals of some sort. I'm not super familiar with them in the comics but the few times they were showed they looked like the crystals in the obelisks, just a lot more of them in a large room.
By the pricking of my thumb,
Something wicked this way comes.
Open, locks,
Whoever knocks.
Iroscato
Jedi Council Member

Post by Iroscato »

'Aftershocks' was awesome.
The show feels much freer to embrace the more outlandish elements of the material now, and it's only getting better for it. Raina's arc has taken an interesting turn and I'm impressed that they've made her very obviously 'Inhuman'.
Coulson being able to deal a crippling blow to HYDRA for once was also very satisfying. Both sides have hurt each other now, they're starting to resemble two boxers slugging it out to the bitter end, which could make for some VERY interesting ways to resolve the HYDRA story, whenever that time comes.

- Raw Shark

- SirNitram (RIP)
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

Just saw the first episode after the break (they didn't air Agent Carter here) and it was nice. I must say Raina's apperence seemed less "ugly" then they built to be sure she's obviously inhuman but not "nuke the site from orbit" freaky, also I hope they're not making Mockingbird and Mac into bad guys.
Gaidin
Sith Devotee

Post by Gaidin »

Lord Revan wrote:Just saw the first episode after the break (they didn't air Agent Carter here) and it was nice. I must say Raina's apperence seemed less "ugly" then they built to be sure she's obviously inhuman but not "nuke the site from orbit" freaky, also I hope they're not making Mockingbird and Mac into bad guys.
Well, they spent a few minutes setting up that group's ability, ethic, and function to counsel the inhumans through their change. And you're right, I wouldn't call her "Nuke the Site from Orbit" freaky, so much as the word be "panicking". She just didn't get what she expected and is freaking out(especially when she compares to Skye, as she does). And it didn't help that Zabo, I'm willing to bet used to be a part of this group until Whitehall, and now, just won't help after his plans went to hell and is forming new ones.