Gotham talkback

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Gotham talkback

Post by FaxModem1 »

So, the pilot premiered last night. It's now available on Hulu and on the Fox website.

My thoughts:

I rather enjoyed it. I like the flavor Gotham has. It isn't 'not Chicago' or 'not Manhattan' that the Dark Knight movies had, but it's own city. The only major problem I see with the show is if Jim succeeds, there will be no need for Batman later on, and if he constantly fails, it's going to be a bit pointless to watch as we wait for little Bruce to grow up.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Re: Gotham talkback

Post by The Romulan Republic »

Missed it to see the new season of The Big Bang Theory. Once The Big Bang Theory goes to another time (that is apparently planned), I might check it out if its still on and the reviews are good.

How's the actor playing Gordon? Gary Oldman is a fucking tough act to follow.
FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Post by FaxModem1 »

He's probably the worst actor on the show, and that's including the little kid playing Bruce Wayne, but since he's more of the everyman character, it's fine, as he's surrounded by all the interesting people of Gotham.
xerex
Jedi Knight

Post by xerex »

The Romulan Republic wrote:Missed it to see the new season of The Big Bang Theory. Once The Big Bang Theory goes to another time (that is apparently planned), I might check it out if its still on and the reviews are good.

How's the actor playing Gordon? Gary Oldman is a fucking tough act to follow.

He's like a low rent Russel Crowe circa LA Confidential.
Go back far enough and you'll end up blaming some germ for splitting in two - Col Tigh
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Sean Pertwee however is a great Alfred.
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
Pelranius
Sith Marauder

Post by Pelranius »

Inserting Ivy Pepper into the whole "Wayne murder coverup" was a little too much for me in terms of coincidence. I can buy the Riddler and Penguin, but that's just pushing it too far.

I see that Dr. Maura Isle's dad is still a crime boss with pretensions to civic mindedness.
Turns out that a five way cross over between It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia, the Ali G Show, Fargo, Idiocracy and Veep is a lot less funny when you're actually living in it.
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

Since Poison Ivy's real name is Pamela Isley who says the kid was her? There's several others they haven't introduced yet, like Victor and Crane, so it's not like she had to be in the premiere.
They brought a lot Modern Age characters with them. Nevermind Gordon, Montoya, Allen and Bullock didn't come on board until long after Jim made commissioner. Not that this can't work, I just find it interesting.

Didn't like the slightly mentally deranged look they gave Oswald. That's fitting for Nigma, but Oswald is quite possible the only sane of the bunch.

Overall, I rather liked it, and nice nod to 'Officer Down' with Selina witnessing the murder from the fire escape.
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
xerex
Jedi Knight

Post by xerex »

Word of god is that the cameos arent cameos. We will be following. Oswald, Edward and Ivy later on in the series. He also gave a good explanation of Ivy Pepper.
Spoiler
Her mom dies and she gets adopted.
Go back far enough and you'll end up blaming some germ for splitting in two - Col Tigh
Knife
Emperor's Hand

Post by Knife »

I thought it spent to much time name dropping instead of character development but it was ok. I'll watch more.
They say, "the tree of liberty must be watered with the blood of tyrants and patriots." I suppose it never occurred to them that they are the tyrants, not the patriots. Those weapons are not being used to fight some kind of tyranny; they are bringing them to an event where people are getting together to talk. -Mike Wong

But as far as board culture in general, I do think that young male overaggression is a contributing factor to the general atmosphere of hostility. It's not SOS and the Mess throwing hand grenades all over the forum- Red
FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Post by FaxModem1 »

Episode 2 is out. I enjoyed it. Selina Kyle's relevance has been shown, as she's come forward as being able to identify the Waynes killer. Cobblepott's plotline is developing. And Nygma was enjoyable and cute in his one scene.
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

I knew Selina can be vicious when provoked but clawing someone's eyes out? Yikes! She's also a good bit younger than I originally assumed.
I also apparently started to train my 'creeping up on people unnoticed' skills early. Let's see when they get to 'disappearing while people have their back turned for half a second'. Also, enter the Dollmaker.
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
RogueIce
_______

Post by RogueIce »

Batman wrote:I knew Selina can be vicious when provoked but clawing someone's eyes out? Yikes!
Didn't she do that in some comic and it's why Batman got mad at her and started this whole "we can never be together" thing.
"How can I wait unknowing?
This is the price of war,
We rise with noble intentions,
And we risk all that is pure..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, Forever (Rome: Total War)

"On and on, through the years,
The war continues on..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, We Are All One (Medieval 2: Total War)
"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear." - Ambrose Redmoon
"You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain." - Harvey Dent, The Dark Knight
Batman
Emperor's Hand

Post by Batman »

Selina is (historically speaking) almost as old as I am, chances are she tried to destroy the universe at some point. Everybody else has. Modern age my 'we can't be together' attitude seems to be mostly me either a) arguing I'm not relationship-compatible or b) close personal relationships compromising the job.
bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Post by bilateralrope »

I get the feeling that the young Bruce Wayne would be a lot more interesting if we didn't know where he's going to end up.
Pelranius
Sith Marauder

Post by Pelranius »

Wonder if Ras A'Ghul will show up at some point? (Tying him into the Wayne murder is probably a stretch though).
Turns out that a five way cross over between It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia, the Ali G Show, Fargo, Idiocracy and Veep is a lot less funny when you're actually living in it.
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

Well regular people (i.e. bikers who have never picked up a comic) have been asking me about it and think it's awesome so that's a good sign.

I keep having to tell them I haven't watched it and they look all confused as I am the Nerd Source. :lol:
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
"Mostly Harmless Nutcase"
Batman
Emperor's Hand

Post by Batman »

So am I the only one still watching this or has the discussion moved elsewhere?
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

It is a great show but it is fairly straightforward so I don't know what one could talk about?
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

I haven't watched yet, but any idea how they are going to get through 5+ seasons? Any indication they will jump time?

I also have been hearing some talk of it getting boring.
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Post by FaxModem1 »

The most compelling character on the show is Penguin, as he does all these plots to rise in power through the mafia. If we didn't know where young Mr. Wayne was going to end up, it'd be very interesting seeing the kid reacting to all this stuff.

I find Edward Nygma adorable in each scene he's in, and just enjoy watching him every week.

Gordon is, well, dull.
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

I shall add that Selina Kyle steals every scene she is in. The actress just has unbelievable screen presence for someone so young - I thought young Wayne was impressive, but they just showed them together the last episodes and Camren Bicondova simply blew him out of the water.
------------
------------
My LPs
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

I think Gordon has always been dull. I mean, the one good cop in the city that is completely corrupted. His defining character trait is dull. :lol: At least that is how I have always read him.
Not to say people haven't tried to get him in the mix, but Oldman was the first time I think I've seen a convincing proactive action-y Gordon. That and most of his incarnations have him much, much older than Batman when there actually is action and obviously, he is completely outgunned and on the outside of the police force as the lone shining light.

And they've already introduced the Nygma huh? Who else have they introduced so far? They have to be on episode 10 or something by now.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Havok wrote:And they've already introduced the Nygma huh? Who else have they introduced so far? They have to be on episode 10 or something by now.
Harvey Dent (really good portrayal)
Penguin
Falcone
Arkham Asylum

are the big ones that come to mind.
------------
------------
My LPs
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

That's not too much for a, what, 26 episode season? And you said Selina Kyle too. Still, gotta wait for Netflix now though.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Havok wrote:That's not too much for a, what, 26 episode season? And you said Selina Kyle too. Still, gotta wait for Netflix now though.
You won't be disappointed IMO. The series is the fourth-best TV show this season, so well worth it.
------------
------------
My LPs