Shazam confirmed: Dwayne Johnson to play Black Adam

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

Iroscato
Jedi Council Member

Shazam confirmed: Dwayne Johnson to play Black Adam

Post by Iroscato »

http://www.denofgeek.com/movies/shazam/ ... dcs-shazam
It's definite: the Shazam movie from DC is happening, and Dwayne Johnson will be playing Black Adam...

Well, things are falling into place for at least one of Warner Bros' planned DC movies. Our understanding is that Shazam is near the front of the queue, and is likely to go into production before Justice League. And after some industrial teasing from Dwayne Johnson over the past few months, he's now confirmed not just that he's doing the film, but also who he's going to be playing.

On his Twitter feed, he has written that he will be playing Black Adam in Shazam, making him the villain on the piece. The identity of who is playing Shazam remains to be seen, but here is Johnson's Tweet announcing the news...

More on Shazam as we hear it. We suspect announcements can't be far away. Don't bet against a 2016 release date...
New Line president Toby Emmerich said the film will have 'a sense of humour and fun', so it might make a refreshing break from the rather intense DC films of late. Personally I think Johnson's casting is a no-brainer, all he needs is a pair of elven ears and a black costume and he's Black Adam. He's also a decent actor which helps. Looking forward to this.
Yeah, I've always taken the subtext of the Birther movement to be, "The rules don't count here! This is different! HE'S BLACK! BLACK, I SAY! ARE YOU ALL BLIND!?

- Raw Shark

Destiny and fate are for those too weak to forge their own futures. Where we are 'supposed' to be is irrelevent.

- SirNitram (RIP)
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Re: Shazam confirmed: Dwayne Johnson to play Black Adam

Post by Batman »

What in Valen's name would he need elven ears for? Adam is an ordinary human turned super through magic same as the rest of the Marvel gang are. You sure you're not thinking Sinestro?
And yeah, for some reason The Rock seems oddly appropriate for that role.
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

Finally! Love The Rock as Black Adam, and have wanted that since forever. The funny thing is, if you slap a wig on Vin Diesel, hes got the little black beady eyes and the short nose to play Captain Marvel. I just don't know if he can pull off the ultimate Boyscout.

That said, Billy Batson is going to be the most important casting decision in DC/WB's life if they ever want to make a successful non-Superman Batman movie.
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
"Mostly Harmless Nutcase"
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

I don't know who I'd want to play the Big Cheese, but I'm reasonably certain it's not Vin Diesel. Deadpool, Deathstroke, the Punisher, maybe. Diesel is antihero material. I just can't see him playing the guy that makes Clark look morally ambiguous.
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
SCRawl
Has a bad feeling about this.

Post by SCRawl »

Batman wrote:What in Valen's name would he need elven ears for? Adam is an ordinary human turned super through magic same as the rest of the Marvel gang are. You sure you're not thinking Sinestro?
Black Adam is often portrayed as having pointed ears. He's also portrayed as not having them, but on balance he's more commonly got the points, at least in the Google images search I just did.
73% of all statistics are made up, including this one.

I'm waiting as fast as I can.
Tsyroc
Emperor's Hand

Post by Tsyroc »

SCRawl wrote:
Batman wrote:What in Valen's name would he need elven ears for? Adam is an ordinary human turned super through magic same as the rest of the Marvel gang are. You sure you're not thinking Sinestro?
Black Adam is often portrayed as having pointed ears. He's also portrayed as not having them, but on balance he's more commonly got the points, at least in the Google images search I just did.
They've really been sticking with the pointed ears of late. At least in the last couple animated appearances he's had very pointed ears.

I like The Rock as Black Adam but now I have to wonder who they are going to get to play Captain Marvel opposite him. Since he's played Hercules he's gotten really huge, so it might take a bit of work to cast someone who doesn't immediately look like he should be getting his ass kicked by Adam.

I do hope that in the long run they decide to make Adam more than just a straight up villain. He was much more interesting in the comics when he was circling the morally grey area where he could be someone's hero from their point of view and an absolute villain from another person's point of view. That should probably wait until after they get a decent Shazam! movie made.
By the pricking of my thumb,
Something wicked this way comes.
Open, locks,
Whoever knocks.
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

It's good to have the villain look more intimidating than the hero. And their strength is magical, which means it has nothing to do with the muscles, which I also assume will be fully explained in the movie.

As to the ears, a little point is good, but he shouldn't by Arnold Spockzenegger. Or more aptly, Dwayne The Rock Spockson. :)
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
"Mostly Harmless Nutcase"
Borgholio
Sith Acolyte

Post by Borgholio »

I kinda think Dwayne "The Spock" Johnson sounds better. :-P
You will be assimilated...bunghole!
Grumman
Jedi Council Member

Post by Grumman »

All I know of Black Adam comes from the Secret Six comics and the trailer for that DC MMO, but I liked what I saw. On the other hand, I have no desire to ever see a movie with Billy Batson as the hero.
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Tsyroc wrote:I like The Rock as Black Adam but now I have to wonder who they are going to get to play Captain Marvel opposite him. Since he's played Hercules he's gotten really huge, so it might take a bit of work to cast someone who doesn't immediately look like he should be getting his ass kicked by Adam.
Bulking-up CGI may be involved, sort of like how they made Chris Evans look scrawny for his scenes as pre-serum Steve Rogers.

Granted they had a little guy to do the... motion-capture? Whatever they call it... for that, but it wouldn't be that hard to find a big bodybuilder guy to do the motion capture for whatever actor in the same way.
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Post by FaxModem1 »

Grumman wrote:All I know of Black Adam comes from the Secret Six comics and the trailer for that DC MMO, but I liked what I saw. On the other hand, I have no desire to ever see a movie with Billy Batson as the hero.
Read 52, Black Adam is one of the main protagonists of that, and it really explores his character and his trying to make his home country of Khandaq a good place.