Jason Momoa cast as Aquaman for Man of Steel 2, solo film

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

Lagmonster
Master Control Program
Master Control Program

Jason Momoa cast as Aquaman for Man of Steel 2, solo film

Post by Lagmonster »

According to a number of sources, Jason Momoa is going to be Aquaman. I...don't know what to make of this, since it'll be hard to get past the fact that he's only ever played wild-haired savages.

http://www.cnn.com/2014/08/14/showbiz/b ... index.html
Grumman
Jedi Council Member

Re: Jason Momoa cast as Aquaman for Man of Steel 2, solo fil

Post by Grumman »

I think he could work - he wouldn't work for the version Superfriends turned into a laughingstock, but Zac Snyder was never going to use that version anyway.

Even just limiting ourselves to the casting, this movie has far bigger problems than Jason Momoa as the King of Atlantis.
Borgholio
Sith Acolyte

Post by Borgholio »

Unless they're casting a darker, more Conan-like version of Aquaman...in which case it could work. I just can't see him in an orange and green outfit. :-/
You will be assimilated...bunghole!
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

Borgholio wrote:Unless they're casting a darker, more Conan-like version of Aquaman...in which case it could work. I just can't see him in an orange and green outfit. :-/
well "more dark Conan-like" Aquaman is what the JL (TV series) version of Aquaman was sure he wasn't killing people left and right but he was alot darker then typical depiction of Aquaman before it.
I may be an idiot, but I'm a tolerated idiot
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Oh wait, that's marijuana..."Einhander Sn0m4n
Lagmonster
Master Control Program
Master Control Program

Post by Lagmonster »

If nothing else, it'll be the second time Momoa's been to "Atlantis", so there are at least plenty of room for memes to form.
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

I can see it working if they do the 'mysterious warlike underwater kingdom' approach. Bit more Namor, less Super-Friends.

Honestly there's a lot of potential for Aquaman if handled well. Movie opens with a carrier battlegroup cruising along under a full moon, guy in the sonar room sees a swarm of underwater craft heading their way, submarines and squids burst out of the water, fish-men soldiers take the ships, there's a pocket of resistance as a destroyer steams through them... and Aquaman pops out of the water, they head to ram him, and he punches the ship. End scene, news report with floating wreckage and crazed survivors. Clark Kent decides it's time to interview a few survivors...

I'm quite aware it's pretty cheesy, but it would be a lovely atmospheric introduction and it'd be just the thing Zack Snyder can do reasonably well (see 300; horrible movie but with decent-ish action).

Considering Momoa's typical look (dreads, beard, etc) I suspect they'll go with a more late-90s Aquaman. Probably not the one with a liquid hand or a harpoon, but scaly pants might just make an appearance...
It's a strange world. Let's keep it that way.
Kuja
The Dark Messenger

Post by Kuja »

What we need is fun Aquaman.

Enough of the fucking brooding.
JADAFETWA
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

Kuja wrote:What we need is fun Aquaman.

Enough of the fucking brooding.
Unfortunately the direction that DC seems to be taking so far is 'broody', to say the least. Man of Steel wasn't exactly a 'fun' movie in that respect, and Jason Momoa definitely does not do fun. Ripping tongues out through throats, yes; shooting people with big guns, yes; hitting people with big swords, yep; but fun? Not so much.

Add to that the super-broody publicity picture they've thrown up for Batfleck and Gal Gadot standing all sepia-tinted Wonder Woman in the middle of lava, and somehow, unless they're going for a takes-itself-entirely-too-serious type of parody, I don't see them taking a 'fun' approach with Aquaman. The character has already been the butt of mockery for several decades, and they don't want that associated with their movie.
It's a strange world. Let's keep it that way.