"Deadpool" Test Footage

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Re: "Deadpool" Test Footage

Post by Batman »

Just for clarification, I'm not talking about print Ultimate Deadpool, I'm talking about this. Not the Marvel Ultimate universe, the Spider-Man animated series.
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
Tsyroc
Emperor's Hand

Post by Tsyroc »

Batman wrote:Just for clarification, I'm not talking about print Ultimate Deadpool, I'm talking about this. Not the Marvel Ultimate universe, the Spider-Man animated series.
The Ultimate Spider-Man cartoon is pretty Deadpoolesque itself. In that it has a lot of comedy and talking to the viewer.
By the pricking of my thumb,
Something wicked this way comes.
Open, locks,
Whoever knocks.
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

Purple wrote:
InsaneTD wrote:If rather watch Deadpool and Spider-Man.
Why Spider-Man? Every single movie I have seen him in (and the cartoons as well) have him looking like a troubled teen more than a proper superhero.
I.. whu.. huh?! What do you even mean?

yeah Spidery is both troubled teen and heroic. And always has been. How does this make him not a 'proper' superhero?And What is such a thing?
Purple
Sith Acolyte
Location: In a purple cube orbiting this planet. Hijacking satellites for an internet connection.

Post by Purple »

Crazedwraith wrote:I.. whu.. huh?! What do you even mean?

yeah Spidery is both troubled teen and heroic. And always has been. How does this make him not a 'proper' superhero?And What is such a thing?
Well I am admittedly no comic book fan. As in, I have newer held a comic book in my life and don't know much about them barring what I see in movies and the occasional cartoon. But to me a "proper" superhero is someone like Batman or Superman. You know, someone who might exist in the real world like the rest of us, but whose stories focus away from that. You don't see a Superman movie padded out by scenes of him working on a meaningless article or a Batman movie padded out by him filling out tax receipts for his corporation. Because quite honestly that is boring and meaningless.

I guess that it's really just the formula. Spider Man seems to focus more on the "troubled average guy but with superpowers" where as I prefer "superpowered guy with the occasional mention of his alter ego when appropriate."

I guess you could say that Spider Man (the movies and cartoons I have seen) stories have too much Peter Parker and not enough Spider Man.
It has become clear to me in the previous days that any attempts at reconciliation and explanation with the community here has failed. I have tried my best. I really have. I pored my heart out trying. But it was all for nothing.

You win. There, I have said it.

Now there is only one thing left to do. Let us see if I can sum up the strength needed to end things once and for all.
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

Which Spider-Man film do you think was 'padded out' by him 'writing an article' exactly? Now, I was thinking before you replued that you're right in a way you tend to see a lot of more of Peter Parker's civilian life in Spider-Man stuff than you do in some other superhero's stuff. But its never exactly padding, its not pointless it serves to highlight Peter's character. The guy who heroing is not easy for, but he does it anyway.

The examples you give are very telling, because what people like to say the difference between Marvel and DC is, is more or less that. Marvel tends to make their heroes relatable characters whereas DC gives you more heroic archetypes you can look up to. Where that's still true in modern comics is another matter.
Purple
Sith Acolyte
Location: In a purple cube orbiting this planet. Hijacking satellites for an internet connection.

Post by Purple »

Crazedwraith wrote:Which Spider-Man film do you think was 'padded out' by him 'writing an article' exactly? Now, I was thinking before you replued that you're right in a way you tend to see a lot of more of Peter Parker's civilian life in Spider-Man stuff than you do in some other superhero's stuff. But its never exactly padding, its not pointless it serves to highlight Peter's character. The guy who heroing is not easy for, but he does it anyway.
Yea, I used the wrong term. I guess. I mean, basically I have newer sat down to establish a concrete opinion on this. At least not in the formal sense. I always just more or less generically dislike him. But I will try anyway. This might sound rambly though.

Basically I really dislike the whole "being a hero is not easy but I do it anyway" plot lines. They just feel like chewing gun someone has already chewed. Maybe it's because I tend to RP a lot but it just feels like one of those characters where the guy playing/writing him is desperately trying to make him a special little snowflake. You know. Like he can't just be a hero. That's not enough. He also has to be troubled and have trauma in his past and have the last dying words of his uncle inspire him and ... You know. It's just too much. Kind of like Twilight vampires I guess. It's trying too hard to be relatable and yet super special at the same time. And it ends up being annoying.

So it just feels like they are padding the movie up with all the Peter Parker stuff instead of focusing on the important bit which is the Spider Man stuff. I just want to say "Listen guys. I know Peter is an average guy like the rest of us. But I did not come here to watch him deliver pizza or what ever. I came to watch him beat up bad guys. I did not pay a cinema ticket to watch a story about Peter Parker."
The examples you give are very telling, because what people like to say the difference between Marvel and DC is, is more or less that. Marvel tends to make their heroes relatable characters whereas DC gives you more heroic archetypes you can look up to. Where that's still true in modern comics is another matter.
Honestly I am not really familiar with the whole DC vs Marvel thing. I know they are like two different companies but that's about it. But I can say that I have always preferred the heroic archetype character to the "relatable" kind. I just really do not connect with the "alter ego" characters one bit.

Basically, you can make a comparison between the Spiderman movies and the Superman movies. In Superman, you had the same plot lines as in Spiderman. But in Superman they were always the C plot behind the "Superman Saves the World" A plot and "Something else B plot". In Spiderman it feels like Spiderman him self is the B plot behind a story about Peter Parker.

Also, the actor is just plain annoying.
It has become clear to me in the previous days that any attempts at reconciliation and explanation with the community here has failed. I have tried my best. I really have. I pored my heart out trying. But it was all for nothing.

You win. There, I have said it.

Now there is only one thing left to do. Let us see if I can sum up the strength needed to end things once and for all.